Author Topic: 3025 era Marik heavy company  (Read 11456 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: 3025 era Marik heavy company
« Reply #30 on: 11 November 2012, 19:00:23 »
Perfect the 3C is staying and the banshee's now a 3Q Wolvie 2 is now a Quickdraw

Awesome 8Q
Banshee 3Q
Stalker 3F
Orion 1K

Archer 2R
Trebuchet 3Q
Guillotine 1N
Hunchback 4G

Quickdraw 4G
Dervish 6M
Griffin 1N
Wolverine 6M

Assassin 21
Cicada 3C
Hermes II 2S
Firestarter 9H

I was thinking about adding a lance or two of vehicles to this force, and was also looking for some suggestions on those, I would like to use all hover for at least 1 lance.

Can I suggest a change? Drop the Guillotine (a good Mech, mind you) in favor of the MAD-3M Marauder? You lose the jump jets of the Guillotine, but gain a tough heavy that can put in an AC-5, two large lasers, and two medium lasers- with no heat problems, which is almost unheard of for a 3025-era heavy. It's a great bodyguard for other large units like the Awesome- while the big guy cools down, the Marauder stands guard over it. This works well too for anyone snooping near your Archers or Trebuchets. But its real best role is as the spearhead of the assault- since it doesn't heat up, it can continue bringing pain every turn, and as it advances the lasers get nastier as their numbers improve. It might be the best heavy of the 3025 era- and since it serves alongside my beloved Orion, that really says a lot.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #31 on: 13 November 2012, 11:53:34 »
To be fair, I was arguing against the inclusion of a GTL in this timeframe.  Nice choices otherwise, though.  I am a major fan of all things Hunchback...They are common enough to not be considered munchy and offer enough breadth to cover most of the bases that the sometimes underweight FWLM forces lack.

Odd, I thought you were arguing for a different variant of the GLT.  I still think that the GHR is a more "representative" 'Mech for a Marik force, although the GLT isn't "incorrect". 

The other posters were right, and I was mistaken in thinking (without checking) that the CDA-3C was used by both Liao and Marik.  It's not "out of the question", but definitely not as common in a Marik force as the basic model (which is a somewhat underwhelming design).

The main thing about the Company that's shaping up is that it's far too top-heavy to look like a Marik unit.  I'd be strongly tempted to trade out the BNC for a MAD-3M, leaving 2 Assaults and 2 high-end Heavies in the Command Lance.  3-4 Assaults  in a so-called "typical" Company starts looking a bit "Steiner-ish".

Light Brigade

• Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 14 November 2012, 01:12:21 »
Odd, I thought you were arguing for a different variant of the GLT.  I still think that the GHR is a more "representative" 'Mech for a Marik force, although the GLT isn't "incorrect". 

The other posters were right, and I was mistaken in thinking (without checking) that the CDA-3C was used by both Liao and Marik.  It's not "out of the question", but definitely not as common in a Marik force as the basic model (which is a somewhat underwhelming design).

The main thing about the Company that's shaping up is that it's far too top-heavy to look like a Marik unit.  I'd be strongly tempted to trade out the BNC for a MAD-3M, leaving 2 Assaults and 2 high-end Heavies in the Command Lance.  3-4 Assaults  in a so-called "typical" Company starts looking a bit "Steiner-ish".

Well, it's suppossed to be a heavy company, even House Marik have a few of those...
Why shouldn't it include 3 Assault 'Mechs?

In addition, according to the TRO:3025 the CDA-3C is used mainly by House Liao. Thus, every House might have a few of those, but they should be quite rare. Especially, since the Cicada isn't a very common 'Mech in general. Btw, the same is true for the Grasshopper.
"Invade Skye? Forcing Lord Kurita to grovel at our feet would be less dangerous than ordering us to invade Skye!"
Kurita officer upon hearing his unit's assignment.

"If you enjoy the irony of zooming across the universe in a JumpShip, only to be forced to ride a jackass six klicks through a downpour, then man, you've got it made in these successor states."
From the comedy holoseries M.P.'s Jump Circus.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #33 on: 15 November 2012, 22:32:27 »
For heavies, I'd do a lance of 2-3 Ontos LRM tanks paired with 1-2 standard Ontos tanks for a powerful indirect fire support lance that can defend itself.  Each Ontos LRM tank throws 60 LRMs and the standard Ontos tank throws 10 LRMs, so you'll be able to lay down 140 to 190 LRMs per turn.  Each standard Ontos mounts 8 medium lasers, so if anyone tries to close, they'll run into 8 to 16 medium lasers.  Indirect fire is a good way for tanks to contribute, since, they're easier to cripple/destroy than mechs in direct combat.

The Ontos is a classic Leaguer tank, and is more heavily armored than, say, an LRM Carrier. Those large LRM volleys will also induce more control rolls on fighters than the Partisan's four AC/5s.  (Although there is a Partisan LRM tank that also throw 60 LRMs.)

I'd second this, and Marik runs 5 tank lances in this timeframe.

I've run 1x Devastator, 1x Schrek and 3x Ontos LRM in a lance, protected by 2 sets of 3x Goblin w/ SRM Infantry Platoon, 1x Bulldog and 1x Bulldog LRM.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016