Author Topic: 3025 lance  (Read 49971 times)

black magic battalion

• Sergeant
3025 lance
« on: 29 March 2011, 21:31:32 »
for a campaign starting in 3025 you are allowed four Mechs,
you can have either 1 heavy 2 mediums and 1 light
or 4 medium Mechs
What Mechs would make up your lance and why?

name specific Mechs and remember to keep it to 3025 models and keep it faction specific if you can
« Last Edit: 29 March 2011, 21:44:36 by black magic battalion »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: 3025 lance
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2011, 21:44:11 »
I'd take the heavy, 2 mediums and a light - just in terms of the added flexibility. Sometimes it's nice to have a big bruiser in the lance, and a speed freak.

In terms of specific 'Mechs, it would depend a lot on what the lance was meant to be doing. But assuming I had no idea, and wanted a good generalist lance, I might well go for:

GRH-5N Grasshopper. The jumping zombie that replaces the LL & LRM with a PPC & additional ML.
PHX-1D Phoenix Hawk - drops the MGs for more HS.
HBK-4G Hunchback - because in 3025 you gotta fear the Big Dakka
JR7-F Jenner - the one that drops the SRM for more armour.

It's pretty munchtastic for a stock 3025 era lance, and it's got no LRMs, but it's got enough speed & maneuverability to handle pretty much anything. And with the exception of the Hunchie, it's ammo-independant.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

klinktastic

• Master Sergeant
    • Hexare Grenadiers Campaign Website
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2011, 21:54:51 »
Worktroll got you off to a great start.  My only recommendation, drop the Hunchback in favor of either the Crab CRB-27 (which is an awesome laser zombie) or the Griffin 1S, which drops the PPC for a large laser, medium laser and a heat sink.  It's more balanced than the Griffin 1N, which should provide suitable long, mid, and short range mobile power.  The Hunchback is too hit or miss with it's large gun for me.  Sure an AC 20 is nice, but it will most likely get crushed every game as it stands out as a high priority target.
Check out our actual play campaign website which contains all our after action reports, unit profiles and mission analysis at: www.ourbattletech.com/hexare

black magic battalion

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2011, 22:02:00 »
for the campaign setting your a one lance Mercenary unit so your lance has to do everything for itself basically

klinktastic

• Master Sergeant
    • Hexare Grenadiers Campaign Website
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2011, 22:12:45 »
Yup.  In 3025 there's no CASE and ammo explosions pretty much mean you'll have an arm and a leg to salvage.  I'd be leary of any ammo dependent 'Mechs.  Addition to the boom factor, laser zombies require no ammo, which is cheaper and better in no-resupply situations.  Also, jump jets are awesome, the more jump jets the better.  Increases the tactical flexibility of your lance.
Check out our actual play campaign website which contains all our after action reports, unit profiles and mission analysis at: www.ourbattletech.com/hexare

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 29 March 2011, 22:13:33 »
WTs version works with a couple changes

the pixie swap for a  Wolverine 6m
and the hunchie needs to be the 4P,
ammo? we dont need no steenkin ammo! possibly twice the damage output of the 4G

DT
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #6 on: 29 March 2011, 22:13:43 »
for a campaign starting in 3025 you are allowed four Mechs,
you can have either 1 heavy 2 mediums and 1 light
or 4 medium Mechs
What Mechs would make up your lance and why?

name specific Mechs and remember to keep it to 3025 models and keep it faction specific if you can

What's the terrain? Gravity? Temperature? Tech level?
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2011, 22:17:24 »
Worktroll got you off to a great start ... Sure an AC 20 is nice, but it will most likely get crushed every game as it stands out as a high priority target.

Thanks, Klinktastic. I actually had a big think about whether to go with a GRF-1N Griffin or the Hunchback (I'm a big fan of the original). I wanted a big gun in the lance - why I pushed for the 5N 'Hopper; in 3025 era play, 10 points is big - but I ended up going with the Hunchie just because of the primal fear it tends to induce in players. How many times have you seen "No, I can't go there to backshot the Phoenix Hawk, because that's 8 hexes from the Hunchback!", even if the Hunchie's to-hit would be 10 or higher?

The Griffin's still a great choice though, and with it you have an all-jump-capable lance - definitely something not to be underestimated, by any means. Although if I was looking at the GRF-1S, I'd probably take the WLV-6M Wolverine instead ...

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

black magic battalion

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 29 March 2011, 22:19:06 »
What's the terrain? Gravity? Temperature? Tech level?

its not just for a single campaign on a single world it will be an ongoing campagn with the unit taking employment with different houses so it could encounter any extremes of gravity and temperature
as for tech keep it 3025 standard

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 29 March 2011, 22:31:52 »
I'd take the heavy, 2 mediums and a light - just in terms of the added flexibility. Sometimes it's nice to have a big bruiser in the lance, and a speed freak.

Normally, I would agree with WT, but I'm feeling a little different right now, so I'll say 4 mediums.

Wolverine-6M
Gladiator-4R
Griffin-1N
Griffin-1N

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 29 March 2011, 23:26:56 »
Jenner JR7-D
Wolverine WVR-6M
Griffin GRF-1N
Warhammer WHM-6K

Energy-based, mostly, with plenty of mobility and in-fighting potential. Strong armour for the most part.

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: 30 March 2011, 00:43:04 »
Dervish 6M
Griffin 1N
Valkyrie QA
Thunderbolt 5S

Yes she's ammo dependent, and not really optimized but it has the kind of character I like. A merc needs to scrounge in a campaign and consider dumping ammo or getting out of dodge when the armor gets flayed.

Daedalus

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: 30 March 2011, 05:18:53 »
In my opinion the all around merc-lance really needs a bit more of everything, not only good anti-mech-performance.
May be you can add some anti-inf and anti-vee capabilities.
So my suggestion would be:

Light: FS9-M Firestarter to add some anti-inf with its 2 MGs
Med 1: WVR-6M Wolverine, as one of the best 3025 brawlers, which can add some crit-seeking (standard srm) or anti-vee with infernos
Med 2: GRF-1N Griffin for some long range punch and a small taste of anti-air with its long range weapons
Heavy: GLT-4L Guillotine as a quiet mobile heavy mech for lvl 1 play

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #13 on: 30 March 2011, 06:28:30 »
Grasshopper 5N (PPCs and Medium lasers with jets on it)
Enforcer 4R
Laser boat Hunchback
Firestarter FS9-H

This way at least 3/4 of my lance has Jump Jets, the Firestarter and Enforcer can scout with the Firestarter handling infantry.
Grasshopper and Hunchback play the hammer role and send more lasers into the field than a cheap disco hall could ever dream.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #14 on: 30 March 2011, 06:34:32 »
If mercenary I'd go as energy dependent as possible

Grasshopper
Griffin
Phoenix Hawk
Fire Javelin

All jump capable and little or no munitions to go bang
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #15 on: 30 March 2011, 07:03:02 »
I would definitely prefer the  Heavy, 2 Med, 1 Light lance as well. One of my favorites from on of my past merc units was:

Orion
Wolverine-M
Phoenix Hawk-D
Jenner-F

You could make it more of a cavalry unit and give more DCMS flair:
Dragon
Wolverine
Phoenix Hawk
Jenner

Or go with:
Orion
Wolverine-M
Trebuchet
Spider
for a more FWL feel.

Cheers,
LCC
« Last Edit: 21 April 2011, 09:24:41 by LastChanceCav »
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 30 March 2011, 11:19:58 »
Dragon, Panther, Panther, Jenner.
(Panthers are pretty much medium 'mechs anyhow.)

Glory to the Combine Snow Lily Empire!

massey

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 30 March 2011, 12:05:55 »
Archer, Griffin, Hunchback, Jenner for a good all around anti-mech force.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #18 on: 30 March 2011, 12:21:18 »
For the HMML Lance I would suggest a JM-6S Jagermech for long reach and anti aircraft capability, a CN9-A Centurion for general ball busting, DV-6M Dervish with the usual SRM ammunition reduction in favor of more LRM ammo or armor for Missile support, and a VLK-QA Valkyrie for more Missile support.  keep a Flamer on standbye so you can swap the laser as needed on missions.

for an all medium lance it really depends on what you want your mission to be, but I think it would be a good time to go for all four mechs being the same 50-55 ton model, like centurions, or Griffins.

you can throw them for a loop by having a lance of Centurions, 2 being the Traditional CN9-A, one being the CN9-AH, and one being the CN9-AL
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #19 on: 30 March 2011, 12:37:21 »
If you want a Capellan flavor to your lance, you could do either of the following:

4 x Vindicator-1R

or

Crusader-3L
2 x Vindicator-1R
and to be really crazy, go with a Firebee-2E for the light 'Mech...otherwise, a Fire Javelin-10F

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 30 March 2011, 13:03:31 »
I would go a 2S Archer, a Trebuchet, a Wolverine, and a Wolfhound.

Archer isn't the best choice, but I love my archers, what can I say? :)

massey

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 30 March 2011, 14:51:57 »
Black Mage, White Mage, Fighter, Black Belt

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 30 March 2011, 15:11:59 »
Dervish 6M
Griffin 1N
Valkyrie QA
Thunderbolt 5S

Yes she's ammo dependent, and not really optimized but it has the kind of character I like. A merc needs to scrounge in a campaign and consider dumping ammo or getting out of dodge when the armor gets flayed.

There's a great deal of long range firepower there. Not worried about short range?

Kobold

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 30 March 2011, 16:10:46 »
I'd be really happy with the following:

WLF-1
GRF-1S
GRF-1N
GHR-5N

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 30 March 2011, 19:15:01 »
Grasshopper GHR-5N
Wolverine WVR-6M
Phoenix Hawk PXH-1
Firestarter FS9-M  "Mirage "

If improved pilots were available I'd consider switching the Grasshopper for
an Archer ARC-2R  or possibly a Warhammer WHM-6D .
If it was 4 mediums :

Wolverine WVR-6M
Wolverine WVR-6M
Griffin GRF-1N
Phoenix Hawk PXH-1

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 30 March 2011, 19:39:28 »
Looking at the responses, and given the generalist nature of the requirement ("cope with anything"), it's pretty obvious why the 'Hopper 5N, Wolverine 6M, Griffin 1N and Pheenie Hawk get some loving. :)

W.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #26 on: 30 March 2011, 20:01:23 »
I'd go for four mediums

Wolverine 6M   Good armor, mobile, solid weapons, and heat disapation

Kintaro 18    Good armor, solid speed, nasty weapons (inferno's [rockon]), runs hot though

Crab    Good armor, solid speed, good weapons, and heat disapation

Dervish          Good speed, mobility, long range weapons, and can defend itself up close

Not optimized but should work very well together. :)
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #27 on: 30 March 2011, 20:04:55 »
Thunderbolt 5S        Good all ranges mech/drop SRM ammo down to 5 shots/drop MG ammo down to 4 shots
Wolverine 6M          Jumping infighter/supports the Hunchie
Hunchback 4P          Scare the heck out of your opponent/area denial/come give me a big hug in city environments
Wolfhound               With the Wolverine and Hunchie as primary threats, the Wolfhound when played right, is the real killer/My fave light mech

Also the Thud and the Wolfhound have always gone down hard.

Force

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: 30 March 2011, 20:46:38 »
There's a great deal of long range firepower there. Not worried about short range?

The Griffin and Valk are lacking in short range firepower but the Valk shouldn't be tearing it up in short range anyhow if you want to keep it.

The Griffin can always disengage it's field inhibitor and hot load its LRM's if it really finds itself in a knife fight.

Best part about my lance is super common parts. All those Grasshopper lovers would be screwed if I was GM when it came time to refit and repair. Oh, and the 5N isn't a 3025 variant even if it only uses level 1 tech. Suckers are stuck with the 5H.

« Last Edit: 30 March 2011, 21:17:06 by Sigma »

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 30 March 2011, 21:09:56 »
A Liao based lance (not sure on the Jav)

Warhammer 6L
Vindicator 1R
Vindicator 1R
Javelin 10N

Warhammer for firepower & AI, Vindicators for just general trooper mechs and the Jav for following up with SRM crit seekers.