Author Topic: Battle Armor of the Week - Kobold Battle Armor  (Read 16085 times)

sillybrit

• Major
Battle Armor of the Week - Kobold Battle Armor
« on: 14 January 2012, 12:05:44 »
Kobold Battle Armor - Technical Readout 3075 page 19

The only Battle Armor developed specifically for the Free Rasalhague Republic, the Kobold is a Light design that is best suited for reconnaissance, although the KungsArmé apparently field it in such large numbers that it is effectively their main battlefield suit. The brainchild of a single KungsArmé officer, and the second Inner Sphere design that eventually found itself fielded in a Clan Touman, the Kobold's background is arguably more interesting than its performance, but sadly for the KungsArmé it's another of those suits that struggles to find game time with many players.

When the Kobold was first introduced in the Combat Equipment sourcebook, we were technically seeing the prototype design, although unlike later Battle Armor prototypes published in the Experimental Technical Readouts, the production version is identical to that first exposure, The origin of the Kobold goes back to the reluctance of the Draconis Combine to share the Kage Light Battle Armor with their one time subjects, forcing the Republic to look for another solution, namely developing their own design. Överste Jack Koslow, the infantry commander of the Second Kavalleri and the driving force behind the project, realized that the Republic would be unable to proceed alone and so he successfully lobbied to allow an approach to be made to the Com Guards and SLDF to join together to develop the new suit. The two new partners brought the technical expertise that the Republic lacked, although politics eventually forced the SLDF to drop out, leaving the remaining duo to soldier on.

The first prototypes were ready by May 3065, having undergone nearly three years of development, but technical faults slowed the already lethargic progress even more and it wasn't until 3069 that the design was cleared for full production, by which date the Jihad was in full swing. Although the Kobold's appearance is very different, the suit can be considered little more than a Kage with just one change: swapping the Partial Wing for a second weapon mount and payload. Technical Readout 3075 does make the claim that the Kobold is more heavily armored than the Kage, but this is not true, even when using the old Mechwarrior 3ed RPG stats the armor values were identical, so I can only assume that the Readout writer was having a bad day.

Despite the use of Basic Stealth composites to help reduce the accuracy of enemy fire, the Kobold is never going to win any awards for durability. With five points of armor, the suit does at least possess the ability to survive a strike by a full-strength LRM cluster or Inner Sphere Medium Laser, but the Clan variety of the latter is just going to leave a smoldering, melted wreck. However, like the Kage, the Kobold isn't really meant for going toe to toe with heavyweight enemy forces, instead using its stealth to sneak around, dodging enemy units until it pounces from the shadows or calls in the rain via its trusty TAG module.

Thanks to the lack of the Partial Wing found on the Kage, the Kobold possesses only the defacto standard mobility for Light and Medium Battle Armor. Without any enhancements to its myomer systems, the ground speed is the typical unimpressive 1 Movement Point, the same as good old fashioned foot infantry going back to the time of Sargon the Great, while the jump capability is the equally average 3 Movement Points. Combined with the Basic Stealth armor and decent cover - if the troopers have even a lick of sense - the Kobold can be a tricky target for an opponent to hit, especially at long range where the modifiers can quickly stack up, making the shot impossible for all but the most skillful gunners or the most accurate weapon systems.

The Kobold's armament is perhaps the most interesting feature, with the design possessing an anti-personnel capability thanks to its twin Armored Gloves, plus a combination unique to the design: a primary weapon provided by its Modular Weapon Mount, and a Squad Support Weapon Mount, the same as installed on the Kage. Addressing the last of those first, the artwork for the Kobold gives us a good glimpse how the squad mount works, with heavy-duty straps supporting the main barrel assembly of a Small Pulse Laser balanced on the trooper's left hip. When deployed to fire, the squad would quickly converge, snapping together the various modules that they each carry to produce a single weapon, ready to fire until the unit needs to move again. Perhaps the singularly most problematic piece of Battle Armor equipment, and perhaps in the entirety of BattleTech, the rules somewhat hand wave away the time that assembly and disassembly would require, and the practicality of such procedures while the squad is moving rapidly. We should at least be thankful that the Kobold isn't a VTOL design, which would present the bizarre spectacle of a squad assembling its weapon in mid air.

Between the two heavy mounts, the Kobold has 290kg to split between them, although the Technical Readout stats do not make this very clear, and I've had to explain to a couple of players that the stat block didn't mean they could field squads armed with both a Small Laser on the Modular Weapon Mount and a Small Pulse Laser on the Squad Support Weapon Mount. The Readout also contributes to another ongoing problem, one more commonly encountered, which is the belief that the squad mount provides all the troopers apart from the lead trooper with the equivalent to an Anti-Personnel Weapon Mount. First mentioned in the write-up of the Kage back in Field Manual: Draconis Combine and continued into the Kobold's entry, this does not appear in any rule, and its longevity is probably mostly due to the Heavy Metal Battle Armor program that unfortunately used the fluff rather than the rules to determine the ability of the Squad Support Weapon Mount.

The standard configurations for the Kobold can be split into two series, what I like to call the light and the heavy combat series. The light series mounts one of the most inoffensive weapons available to Battle Armor on the Modular Weapon Mount, the positively puny Micro Grenade Launcher. Weighing in at just 75kg, it does at least free enough mass that the squad mount can be configured with a Small Pulse Laser. Unfortunately, that's not quite as impressive as it sounds, with the laser having the same range and damage as the standard Small Laser of only half the mass, with the only benefits being the Pulse accuracy bonus and anti-infantry capability. Other canon configurations for the squad mount consist of a Flamer or the potentially far more dangerous TAG. Able to target for guided munitions attacks by air strikes, artillery or Semi-Guided LRMs, a Kobold squad with a TAG can be a useful force multiplier, with their contribution far outweighing any damage that the suits might inflict directly, although at least they do have a viable self=defense capability, unlike the Kage.

What I call the heavy series armament instead mounts a Small Laser on the primary mount, leaving just 90kg free for the Squad Support Weapon Mount, thus allowing only the Flamer or TAG options. Technically that 90kg would be enough for a Light Recoilless Rifle, but here's where we have another problem with the Kobold's armament. Light Battle Armor chassis have relatively few equipment slots, most importantly having just two per arm, and with each mounting system taking up one of those slots, that means that the mounts can only be equipped with weapons and equipment that also require a single slot. Sadly, that means that bulkier weapons like Recoilless Rifles will be forever unavailable to the Kobold, even though they possess the payload mass required.

A variant of the Kobold has finally appeared in the just published Experimental Technical Readout: ComStar, turning the suit into a C3I spotter, one that is definitely not ready for combat, in my opinion. With the possibility of a redesign if the variant is ever adopted by the Republic, the armor should hopefully receive a boost due to a switch to C3, making the design more suitable for frontline service. Further details of the design cannot be discussed right now, but in my experience Light Battle Armor generally makes for a poor C3/C3I spotter, due to their relatively low maximum armor capacity. In Com Guards service, this weakness can be partially compensated by their squad-level organization, with each Level I having six suits instead of the four-suit squads used by other Inner Sphere factions. Although the extra suits don't help when targeted by weapons that can kill in one shot, for lesser weapons the random hit allocation will spread the damage around, keeping individual suits alive for longer.

As of yet, not a single variant of the Kobold has ever been produced by the KungsArmé, despite their association wih the Ghost Bears bringing them a new understanding of Battle Armor technology. Although the Ghost Bear's opinion of the Kobold may have some bearing, it's more likely to be down to the Rasalhagians simply not having the resources or time to develop a new version, and for the time being the Kobolds in Republic service remain as they were when they first stepped onto the proving grounds in May 3065.

Sadly, neither the KungsArmé nor the Com Guards ever saw fit to examine other weapons configurations for the standard Kobold, at least as far as we know judging by current publications, although with Technical Readout 3075 due for an upgrade and with the Battle Armor Record Sheets yet to be produced in PDF form, there is some hope on this front. Other scouting equipment would make for obvious choices, whether Improved Sensors or Remote Sensor Dispensers, or even turning the Kobold into an interdiction unit with the addition of an ECM module. A variety of weapons would also make good options, including some that would have been unavailable when the Kobold began testing, such as the Clan developed Light Machine Gun. Given that the KungsArmé is now merging into the Ghost Bear Touman, it's even possible that actual Clan weaponry might find its way onto the Kobold, although if so I doubt it'll be until long after the Jihad is over, when Mixed Tech designs are less extraordinary.

For Clan technology to be used with the Kobold, the Ghost Bears are also going to have to get over the reluctance about Inner Sphere units, and stealthy Battle Armor in particular. While I recognize that this issue is intended as a game balance - Clan Battle Armor is scary enough as it is without making stealth armor a common feature - it does seem odd to me that the Clans avoid a technology that makes a unit hard to hit, while allowing various technologies that make it easier to hit a target, when both artificially modify a Warrior's skill. Of course, with the Kobolds now found in RAF service, there is still the possibility of Clantech configurations appearing, perhaps even moreso, since the Republic doesn't share the Bears' prejudices.

Setting aside that speculation, the Kobold's combat potential is rounded out with the ability to wield infantry weapons and to conduct Anti-'Mech attacks. The best infantry weapon choice would be the Man-Portable Plasma Rifle, although that might not be readily available for the KungsArmé given its origin on the opposite side of the Inner Sphere, so it may be more likely to see Portable Machine Guns and other such weapons. The Kobold's Anti-'Mech capability is pretty much the same as all current mid-sized or smaller Battle Armor designs, however the possibility of the Flamer or Small Pulse Laser on the squad mount does allow for a little extra Swarm damage than an IS Standard squad, for example.

Like other Light Battle Armor that find themselves in direct combat, the Kobold really wants to get out of it as quickly as possible. Five points of armor is simply too light to be spending too much time competing with the big boys, especially Clan opponents, and the best tactics for use are going to be those where Kobold squads can hit and fade before the enemy has much time to react, or even to only attack those targets that can be overwhelmed in a single Turn or two. This all changes in RPG usage, where the Kobold becomes one of the top dogs, with its Armored Gloves allowing the operator to handle equipment just like an unarmored person, however it's probably not the first such suit that would spring to mind for this environment, such is the impact of the much older Kage. Even though the Kobold is perfectly capable of competing with the Combine's primary covert ops suit in RPG scenarios, many players in my experience see it as tailored more for green ops.

The KungsArmé's deployment certainly supports that viewpoint, with five of their 'Mech regiments having no less than a battalion of Battle Armor assigned to them, including Överste Jack Koslow's Second Kavalleri, who fathered the whole Kobold project. Described as the basis for those units, the Kobold definitely appears to be fielded more on the frontline than the Kage, with only the Battle Armor regiment attached to the First Tyr equipped mostly with heavier designs. The Com Guards went a different route, apparently using the Kobold as would be expected, as a recon unit, deploying only single Level Is in larger formations, although company-sized Level IIs have used Kobolds with light OmniMechs, presumably to produce rapid, multi-facet scouting and screening units.

Somewhat marginalized due to its faction, looked down upon by its new Clan masters, outfought by larger suits, and lacking the mystique of the Kage that inspired its development, the Kobold is something of an also-ran of the Battle Armor world. The sole known variant is only experimental is and far from ready for the battlefield, and overall the suit suffers from the problem shared by all Light Battle Armor in the BattleTech tactical game, namely that they're simply outperformed by Medium designs. The Kobold can't really be blamed for that shakey foundation and it does well with what it has, and it should be remembered that the standard design still has a lot of unexplored potential, that hopefully will one day be revealed.

Next up:
  • Afreet
  • Rottweiler
  • Nighthawk
  • Tornado

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
Re: Battle Armor of the Week - Kobold Battle Armor
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2012, 15:56:16 »
On the squad weapon mount I consider the #1 suit to carry the 'core' of the weapon, while everyone else humped the ammo/power/cooling packs for it.  And/or other parts of the lead suit were cut down (life support/battery packs?) to make room for the squad 'heavy weapon' and his team mates carry those supplies for him.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2012, 16:23:55 »
     Setting aside that speculation, the Kobold's combat potential is rounded out with the ability to wield infantry weapons and to conduct Anti-'Mech attacks. The best infantry weapon choice would be the Man-Portable Plasma Rifle, although that might not be readily available for the KungsArmé given its origin on the opposite side of the Inner Sphere, so it may be more likely to see Portable Machine Guns and other such weapons. The Kobold's Anti-'Mech capability is pretty much the same as all current mid-sized or smaller Battle Armor designs, however the possibility of the Flamer or Small Pulse Laser on the squad mount does allow for a little extra Swarm damage than an IS Standard squad, for example.

Interesting. It looks like the current errata does infact allow BA to carry support weapons in the armored gloves. That's...pretty interesting. And I'm glad its finally allowed.

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2012, 16:29:46 »
If the Ghost Bear Dominion does decide to keep up production of the Kobold, I hope we see some kind of different variant that fits in with the GBD's needs.

I could really go for a dual Vibro-battleclaw model (Viking-themed Vibro-Axes!) and ECM, combined with a micro pulse laser or Bearhunter.  I don't know if that would all fit though, but it would give the GB's a viscous little toy for clinging to enemy C3 mechs.

Mixing technology would be munchkin, plus the Dominions are presumably lacking in the refined production materiel of the homeworlds... keep it at IS tech, so them spheroid non-elemental genomes can try to impress their Betters in combat... in hopes of earning a slot with the frontline Elementals. I can see them making viscous assaults on enemy mechs, or even brutal hand-to-hand combat with Kanazuchi's would be fun.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2012, 16:32:37 by Isanova »
Freeborn and proud~

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2012, 17:03:40 »
Mixing technology would be munchkin

I suggest you avoid the Rogue Bear (Hybrid) then.  :)

Depending upon what exactly is mixed, Battle Armor is one area where I'm a little more comfortable about Mixed Tech, and not just because I'm a fan of Battle Armor in general (Sloth excluded).

For example, I'm not a fan of the idea of using IS chassis on Clan designs, it feels too much of an exploit given that the Harjel system in Clan chassis has little effect in most scenarios other than costing suits a fair chunk of mass. But for a Clan suit to mount a Firedrake, Magshot, Medium Laser or Taser would be reasonable, given that there are Clan weapons that can outperform them - the Firedrake is perhaps the most questionable. For tech transfers the other way, obviously Clan armor and weapons can have a massive impact on IS designs, but some weapons can be used to provide a worthwhile advantage without being hideously overpowering by IS standards, for example the Micro PL.

Interesting. It looks like the current errata does infact allow BA to carry support weapons in the armored gloves. That's...pretty interesting. And I'm glad its finally allowed.

Yup, that one's been in the errata for quite a while, but what might really blow your socks off is the prospect of Battle Armor wielding Infantry TAG. That system is detailed in an attachment in the TacOps errata thread and most importantly for Battle Armor it has a Crew value of 1E, meaning that it can be used by suits with Armored Gloves. I do worry about it being overpowering, effectively giving any such squad a free TAG - which would make the Kage's TAG configuration kind of pointless - and I've asked for clarification whether it would indeed be possible, but technically for now, as the rules are written, it's viable.

On the squad weapon mount I consider the #1 suit to carry the 'core' of the weapon, while everyone else humped the ammo/power/cooling packs for it.  And/or other parts of the lead suit were cut down (life support/battery packs?) to make room for the squad 'heavy weapon' and his team mates carry those supplies for him.

The first is the situation described in the Tech Manual. Technically, a full IS squad wouldn't need to gather to put a squad mounted weapon, because just two troopers carry enough mass to represent the full weapon, with the lead trooper probably having the barrel and firing mechanism, while the others having power packs/feed mechanism/etc. So in the case of a full squad, two of the troopers could stay disperse while only the squad leader and one designated trooper need to huddle up.

Of course, this doesn't account for situations where only the lead trooper survives, nor does it neatly account for Clan Points, that carry only 40% of the squad weapon each. In the former case, who's providing the missing half a weapon and in the latter case, what do you do when only two of the Point are still alive and you only have 80% of the weapon. The answer is that it's all manipulator hand waved away and unfortunately there's probably never going to be a fully satisfactory answer that wouldn't require some harsh nerfing of the Kage and Kobold.

But you have reminded me, I need to post my Kobold variant I've been delaying for this article.

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2012, 17:20:38 »
My issue with mixing tech is in the construction area, using lighter IS structure with lighter clan armor is not with the spirit of things in my book. Equipment or weapons I can accept.

The downside to the infantry-portable TAG or other encumbering weapons, or a Squad weapon with only the weapon-soldier surviving... is that those kinda things, while good in a firefight, are a real strain to carry with you during the non-combat moments. Fine if you have dedicated transports, but not so fine for creating a function-anywhere suit or for being mechanized on omni's.

If you want to get really creative, there's nothing really stopping PA(L) squads with armored gloves from operating per-positioned Field Artillery, Towed AC-20s and RL-20s. Jump to bunker, fire weapons, jump out.
Freeborn and proud~

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2012, 17:35:16 »
The downside to the infantry-portable TAG or other encumbering weapons, or a Squad weapon with only the weapon-soldier surviving... is that those kinda things, while good in a firefight, are a real strain to carry with you during the non-combat moments. Fine if you have dedicated transports, but not so fine for creating a function-anywhere suit or for being mechanized on omni's.

Encumbering weapons have no effect on Battle Armor, with even PA(L)s considered to have the strength to allow a trooper to wield them as easily as a pistol, without any strain. Any such handheld weapons no doubt come with slings, allowing them to be stored like the SSWM-weapon in the Kobold's artwork so that they'll cause no negative impact on their use outside of combat, assuming that the trooper doesn't just continuously wield them akin to the Magshot on an Infiltrator Mk II.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #7 on: 15 January 2012, 14:29:40 »
Personally I like the Kobold a lot. It is one of the few IS suits that is serious about modular mounts. After all, we are always told omnitech is good. Perhaps its biggest fault is a lack of space, preventing it truely making use of its large amount of free kgs.

It also has an interesting meta-fault. By serving the IS, Clans and ComStar it requires record sheets for squads, points and level 1s. Combined with the large number of variants with minimal changes caused by having two "modular" mounts it rapidly becomes impractical to produce new variants because one can only have so many record sheets in a book.

If the Ghost Bear Dominion does decide to keep up production of the Kobold, I hope we see some kind of different variant that fits in with the GBD's needs.

Again, check out the Rogue Bear [Hybrid]. A lot of the same names show up.

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2012, 22:51:46 »
It also has an interesting meta-fault. By serving the IS, Clans and ComStar it requires record sheets for squads, points and level 1s. Combined with the large number of variants with minimal changes caused by having two "modular" mounts it rapidly becomes impractical to produce new variants because one can only have so many record sheets in a book.

It seems like they should just print everything as Level Is and just make a note to mark off a trooper or two depending on who's using it. Aren't battle values for BA usually given by the suit anyway?

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #9 on: 18 January 2012, 04:01:07 »
BV has different multipliers depending on squad size for BA.

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #10 on: 18 January 2012, 04:50:22 »
Well, all the same, it looks like BV2 is on its way out anyhow.

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 18 January 2012, 05:18:44 »
Still, it's a good suggestion for how to cope with the different unit level organizations, requiring only a notation as to which BV to use for each one.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 14 April 2012, 02:14:57 »
I am not sure how the new Tac Ops errata helps this suit. The firepower is so anemic anyway.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 26 January 2013, 01:18:08 »
If my understanding of the Mechanized BA rules are correct the Kobold X-C3 one of the most powerful and cheapest BA existence. It's also kinda OP. The reason is simple BA equipped with C3 that are riding an OmniMech pull their ride into the network as well, so the X-C3 and all other C3 BA don't exist to be spotters but rather grant C3 to Omni's that otherwise lack that capability (and do so real cheaply), the Kobold X-C3 is the wost (most OP) of the lot because it's iC3 and doesn't mount any weapons

Note that this is a way to grant Clan OmniMechs C3 without using mixed tech, sure it's still an advanced rule but one your much more likely to get past your group

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 26 January 2013, 01:37:13 »
Awesome art and supposed versatility made the Kobold a huge fave of mine.  But its horribly limited by slots, meaning useful guns like the LRR can't be mounted, even when the weight is available.  I don't know if I fault it on no maxing to six points or not; the FRR was looking at the Clans, and light suits die from Clan mediums, so why bother?  But that extra point would let it survive an IS MPL, a common anti-BA gun.  Its a suit I really want to like more, but end up feeling frustrated by its limitations. 

WeaponX

• Warrant Officer
  • Ghost Bear Maniac
    • Ghost Bear Mania
« Reply #15 on: 26 January 2013, 02:32:50 »
For example, I'm not a fan of the idea of using IS chassis on Clan designs, it feels too much of an exploit given that the Harjel system in Clan chassis has little effect in most scenarios other than costing suits a fair chunk of mass.

I'm actually surprised the IS Clans haven't started using "IS" or "Harjel-less" chassis for their secondline suits since Harjel is supposed to be in short supply ever since they've been cut off from the homeworlds and the Harjel analogue from Twycross is still at the early stages of production.  At the very least, the Nova Cats and WIE should be producing more BA using IS chassis since as abjured Clans they should have last dibs on any Harjel the Diamond Sharks can currently produce on Twycross.
"Do you not understand the nature of the Bear?  For months he sleeps in hibernation, but do not dare disturb him.  The Bear's anger is unforgiving once provoked."

-Mechwarrior Zane
  Clan Nova Cat

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 26 January 2013, 03:38:29 »
Scratch that C3 idea, Herb says it doesn't work

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #17 on: 26 January 2013, 16:32:35 »
I think this is one of my favorite BA concepts & hate that I'm not an FRR player to use it.

Interesting use of Infantry TAG suggestion.  I will be keeping this in mind in the future.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 26 January 2013, 22:57:21 »
That bit about Squad Support Weapons providing and AP mount wouldn't work, you need to arm the entire squad with the same weapon(s), so the squad leader not getting one kills the idea

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #19 on: 27 January 2013, 12:49:55 »
I wasnt refering to the AP mount, which is no longer the canonical rules.

I was talking about 2 armored gloves being able to carry infantry weapons.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #20 on: 21 November 2013, 08:08:44 »
Well, we questioned it, and with RS3145 we got it. The Kobold IIC.

As noted above the Kobold suffered in the Clan touman as it lacked the armour for combat, and the Ghost Bear's distaste for stealth. The efforts of the Kungsarme overcame the distaste, but the Kobold still needed to refocus. So it learnt to fly.

I will start with the good.
The Kobold gained a full harjel chassis. The jump jets were replaced with a VTOL pack. I like to imagine it as Kage wings strapped to that big booster. And the armour was jacked up to full Improved Stealth, though it remains 5 points. And the suit gained a fixed light TAG.
What does it all mean? Well... Movement 2 + BA 1 + VTOL 1 + Short Range Stealth 1 = +5. So before anything else this suit requires a +5 to be hit. Using terrain I have danced Points of these in front of assault companies of 'Mechs and tanks with minimal losses.
It means that the Kobold IIC can sit at 3 hexes and get TAG shorts at short range.

Rounding out the suit is an ECM suite and a light machine gun.

Now for the bad. The Kobold IIC is virtually unarmed. I have used two Points of Kobolds to disable a lance of heavy tanks with no losses, only to then be unable to kill the tanks without taking unsustainable losses. It has been suggested that these suits would be good for swarming. The only reason I would swarm a 'Mech is to jam a C3 network. The 'Mech simply ignores them. Fluff wise another bad is the loss of the modular mounts. It is a loss of flexibility. Probably needed to make the suit viable, but still a problem.

How would I use the Kobold IIC? It is a spotter and should be used as one. Close and TAG. It can be used to disable tanks but not kill them. Against 'Mechs I would advise going for leg attacks because the guns won't hurt them. This is a fast mobile hard to hit suit. Go in and spot. Interdict C3. I would even attempt black ops. Just don't get into a fight. You can start one, you can leave one, but the Kobold IIC will never finish one.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 19 February 2014, 18:22:56 »
It's the Carlos Hathock of suits.

Five LMGs, like you said, will disable tanks plenty.  It won't kill them, but it doesn't have to - it just sits and waits, like White Feather himself did with an armor battalion.  Each time someone tries to get out of the tank and fix something, that's what the LMGs are for.  Otherwise, sit back and hide, and interdict repair teams.  We've all had to deal with broken down cars; now you have a broken down car where an armored sniper isn't letting you get out of the car /and/ occasionally directs an Arrow IV, for pure giggles and to make sure you've not fallen asleep in the comfy chair.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #22 on: 21 February 2014, 21:01:50 »
How wide spread did the IIC become?  What sort of movement profile compared to the Kage (as mentioned) and the Sylph?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 22 February 2014, 09:34:43 »
Since its 3145 stuff, we don't have much information yet. Even the MUL's data on it is sparse. So we don't have usage info or even an intro date yet.

If I had to guess, I'd suspect its still mostly Ghost Bear. Maybe the Horses and other Clans have picked up some of them, but I wouldn't expect it to be in big numbers.

As for speed, as far as I can tell, its faster than the original Sylph and the Kage.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #24 on: 22 February 2014, 17:07:58 »
RS:3145 NTNU, P18

Ground MP:1
VTOL:6.
Or change elevation and move 5 (+2 to hit).

Remember when I said +5 to hit minimum. I forgot about ghost targets from the ECM.  :o

Honestly I wouldn't expect them in huge numbers in the Bears. There is not much call for BA scouts in the general Touman and its raw combat abilities are less than the straight Kobold with Clan weapons.

That said. Special forces would like it. Anyone with artillery or serious air-to-ground support.
It is not a line suit. I would rate it as one of the few suits able to take on a Cuchulainn but not hold the line against one.
Pairing it with a Constable could be interesting. Especially in a city fight.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #25 on: 07 May 2015, 00:34:05 »
I was told to post my most recent experience with the Kobold IIC here, sorry for the necro  :).

in a FFA match between me and 3 other gentlemen who i shall not name and shame. We decided to do a game of 100 tons each with max of 5K bv. I asked if i could take a star of Kobold IIC's instead, since i only came to 25 tons and was under everybodys BV.

What proceeded was an angry swarm of bee's. with 6 mechs out of 7 killed by my Kobold IIc's. Under the right Terrain these things can do a lot more damage than just "crit a tank and wait" you can can set the LMG to burst mode and go to town.  Yes it was a FFA, but for the most part is was everybody against the Beez.
 The only reason a Warhammer got away was because it was tired of getting stung and fled, leaving a poor puma and Spider to face what was left of the hive. Yes there were losses, but rushing around with Ghost tagets almost felt cheap. When i did 60 dmg on a Blackhawk Ku everyone went  [notworthy]

This is a unit you shouldn't underestimate or it will make you go  [AAAH]

Foxx: 1093 BV remaining (from 3140 initially) 0 BV fled
????: 0 BV remaining (from 4172 initially) 0 BV fled
????: 0 BV remaining (from 4047 initially) 1964 BV fled
????: 0 BV remaining (from 3847 initially) 0 BV fled

« Last Edit: 07 May 2015, 00:41:10 by Foxx Ital »
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #26 on: 07 May 2015, 00:54:00 »
See while I like rapid fire rules . . . on mechs, vehicles or VTOLs they have actual ammo counted . . . how much ammo does that Kobold IIC store if you were going by ATOW instead of BT's abstract of not counting Recoilless or MG ammo?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 07 May 2015, 06:36:53 »
Well, in BTs abstract (before ignoring the ammo completely, which you shouldn't do with rapid fire out of principle) system, It'd carry 50 rounds, so I suppose if you roll good, the suit would be out of ammo after 4 turns.
But yes, it'd be interesting to see how many rounds the actual mg carries realistically.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #28 on: 07 May 2015, 14:09:04 »
I suspect the endless ghost targets were more damaging than the burst fire. In any cause both would throw BV out the window.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #29 on: 07 May 2015, 16:09:16 »
Sure the ghost targets likely wrecked a lot of weapons fire . . . but honestly, from what I have experienced with Vedettes using MG Burst 50 rounds would be gone in 3 to 5 rounds- closer to 3 IMO.  At which point yes, their ghost targets are really messing things up but they are also going for physicals.

Not trying to take anything away from the feat.  Me, I am wanting to get some hands on with the SHL armed-GDL.
Colt Ward

Register