Author Topic: Quebec Wildfires  (Read 1093 times)

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
Quebec Wildfires
« on: 07 June 2023, 07:23:06 »
I don't live in wildfire country, so my experience with wildfire smoke is a new one.  Western NY has been catching the smoke drift from Quebec.  The atmosphere has been orangey for the past few days and smells of burning brush.  It irritates my throat - the first National Weather Service air quality advisory I've ever had to take seriously. We're not leaving the house unless we need to.

I wish the responding firefighters a safe and successful mission!

BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
Re: Quebec Wildfires
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2023, 07:24:16 »
Satellite image for those unfamiliar:

BATTLEMASTER

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2023, 08:50:50 »
We're getting thick haze and blood-red sunrises here in the Washington D.C. area as a result of it all- it's just before 10 AM as I type this, and looking out the window from my home office/paint bench the sunlight has more of that 6:30 AM look, if you know what I mean- like the sun isn't quiiite up yet entirely. I don't SMELL smoke, but my allergies mean that I probably wouldn't smell my cat's litter box if it were in the room with me either.

Hoping the weather up there changes soon and helps the firefighting efforts out! Growing up in Colorado, this is nothing new- you just pretty much hope for some rain to come through (rain, dammit, not thunderstorms, lightning does NOT help!), and hope for the best.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2023, 09:03:17 »
As a witness to brutal firefighting seasons out here in NorCal, I hope the fire fighting teams have luck and weather as the season progresses.  My wife has Asthma and I remember being worried about her for like 5 consecutive summers from 17-22.  Hope everyone gets through it.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2023, 16:12:21 »
This was my classroom at 2:45pm.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2023, 17:39:17 »
People will need actual filtration masks too.  N95s are not fine enough mesh to protect from smoke.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2023, 18:30:14 »
People will need actual filtration masks too.  N95s are not fine enough mesh to protect from smoke.

Schools in my area kept their kids inside for the day - probably at least until the air quality advisory lifts.  I have a P95 respirator that I've used for spray painting and sanding CARC.  I thought about donning that to see if that would help with any outdoor work I'd have to do.  Fortunately I have plenty of indoor work to do instead!

Good news - around 3 PM this afternoon the air cleared up a bit and the sky looked blue with refreshing sunlight!  Now it's getting cloudy again at about 7:30 PM - just hope it's rain clouds this time!
BATTLEMASTER

butchbird

• Master Sergeant
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
« Reply #7 on: 07 June 2023, 21:05:22 »
We get a vague smell of wood fire even here at over 100km of closest fire. Sky is foggy but the air ain't that bad, surprisingly. We're getting some rain but praying for heavier downpour. Army is being sent to supplement the firefighters. Loads of evacuations. People desperatly looking for space to house their horses. Last news was something like 150 fires burning in the province.

StoryReader

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 07 June 2023, 23:37:29 »
Out west, this has been a useful resource during fire season:
https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/

Stay safe.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 08 June 2023, 13:18:51 »
We're getting thick haze and blood-red sunrises here in the Washington D.C. area as a result of it all- it's just before 10 AM as I type this, and looking out the window from my home office/paint bench the sunlight has more of that 6:30 AM look, if you know what I mean- like the sun isn't quiiite up yet entirely. I don't SMELL smoke, but my allergies mean that I probably wouldn't smell my cat's litter box if it were in the room with me either.

One of my long time convention gamer buddies, lives out in CA< and has had to deal with forest fires all his life..  The smoke/smog it creates is no joke..

Hoping the weather up there changes soon and helps the firefighting efforts out! Growing up in Colorado, this is nothing new- you just pretty much hope for some rain to come through (rain, dammit, not thunderstorms, lightning does NOT help!), and hope for the best.

Especially since rumors have it, that these fires were CAUSED BY a # of lightening strikes!

SCBAS!
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #10 on: 08 June 2023, 14:15:44 »
We get a vague smell of wood fire even here at over 100km of closest fire. Sky is foggy but the air ain't that bad, surprisingly. We're getting some rain but praying for heavier downpour. Army is being sent to supplement the firefighters. Loads of evacuations. People desperatly looking for space to house their horses. Last news was something like 150 fires burning in the province.

The province itself only has sufficient resources to fight 40 of the active fires.  Fire crews are being called in from New Brunswick and as far away as Mexico and France (!) to help.

(The cities of Montreal, Laval (immediately north of Montreal), and Longueuil (immediately south) offered to send firefighters but were apparently turned down by the provincial government, the official reason being that they are insufficiently trained to deal with these fires...)

cheers,

Gabe

So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #11 on: 08 June 2023, 17:41:36 »

I caught a whiff of smoke in the Pentagon this morning and avoided the courtyard.  The federal government is recommending telework tomorrow to try to help with the air quality problem, but DoD hasn't exactly spread the word.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 08 June 2023, 19:20:48 »
So sus.   ^-^

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #13 on: 08 June 2023, 23:03:07 »
i hope that all the people who made crass jokes and comments about california's wildfires and how the west coast responded to the smoke those produced are now experiencing exactly how much such fires suck, and aware of the irony.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 09 June 2023, 13:06:18 »
The province itself only has sufficient resources to fight 40 of the active fires.  Fire crews are being called in from New Brunswick and as far away as Mexico and France (!) to help.

That's fairly normal.  It's rare to have fires everywhere all at once, so everyone has a low level of resources and shifts it around to assist those who need it.  It's not unusual at all to have firefighters from Australia out in Western Canada, and there's fairly regular back-and-forth with Texas as well.  It's less common for general firefighting personnel to deploy as far abroad as Australia, but what is common is providing water bombers with experienced pilots and operations crews.

For those not aware, the northern parts of Canada (and even some of the southern parts) are VAST.  Not all fires are actively fought, as there isn't enough resources to do that but many of them are simply in difficult to access locations.  Based on geography, experience, and some computer modeling, many fires are just left to burn when they aren't expected to cause problems.  Others that may pose a threat to cutting off access roads or communities get some attention in the form of fire breaks, back fires (burning out areas so the fire cannot go in that direction), and application of fire ****** (when you see a water bomber dropping orange/red stuff, it's ****** - makes it more difficult to burn rather than trying to douse active flames) but are otherwise just monitored.  The ones which, by past events or simple proximity, pose a threat to communities get the lions share of resources to break it down before it gets too big to handle.

edit - site's autocorrect is obfuscating the word for 'fire suppressant material' with asterisks because the text contains 'r-word'.  It's the correct term, but comes up so seldom that it's probably not worth putting in an exception.
« Last Edit: 13 June 2023, 08:28:46 by dgorsman »
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #15 on: 12 June 2023, 20:00:46 »
It's been a week now and everything seems back to normal around here!  Whatever they're doing up north seems to be working  :)
BATTLEMASTER

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #16 on: 12 June 2023, 20:03:08 »
There was a whiff of smoke in the air on Sunday, but no haze down here.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #17 on: 12 June 2023, 20:40:47 »
Yeah, but they're predicting a hot, dry summer this year, so buckle up.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Register