Author Topic: Best Windows OS for a *very* low-spec laptop?  (Read 3065 times)

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
Best Windows OS for a *very* low-spec laptop?
« on: 20 February 2019, 12:19:03 »
What's the best version of Windows to run on an old Samsung NC10 netbook, Win7 or Win10?
(1.6GHz Atom, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD)

All it needs to do is run office apps and browse the net
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
Re: Best Windows OS for a *very* low-spec laptop?
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2019, 12:49:48 »
go with 7. i'm using 10 on a somewhat outdated laptop and it's been a nightmare. it updates itself in spite of everything i do, wastes upwards of 8 gigs of memory on an "needed update" for programs i keep uninstalling and feels the need to fight with me about my choices of programs for everything while chewing up battery life on some background monitoring stuff i can't shut off.

10's advantages are only really for using on a phone, i think.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2019, 13:59:36 »
Definitely Win7 (x32, of course), although pretty much anything will struggle on that.  If you can see if you can at least double the RAM.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2019, 14:16:36 »
I'd also recommend Win 7.  The Win 10 machine I use requires me to disable Cortana and re-install software after every darned update.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2019, 17:48:25 »
I still have an eeePC as a back-up machine that runs similar specs. I upgraded it from WinXP to Win7 32-bit. If you can max out the RAM and replace the HDD with a similar sized SDD (both of these upgrades are reasonably inexpensive). You will find you have a machine that can handle MS Office and basic web-surfing without noticeable lag.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2019, 19:10:57 »
I loved the eeePC.

Definitely go with the Win7, but do they even sell that any more? Aren't we all forced to upgrade to Windows whatever nowadays?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2019, 19:28:49 »
I have an Ubuntu load on my eeePC, and it surfs just fine.  And it can run Open Office if I ever need it to.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2019, 19:50:09 »
I was given the netbook with Win10 installed recently enough that I can revert back to 7. It sounds like that's the best idea.

If you can see if you can at least double the RAM.

If you can max out the RAM and replace the HDD with a similar sized SDD (both of these upgrades are reasonably inexpensive).

The RAM is maxed out at 2GB (1GB soldered & a single SODIMM)
I've got a 240GB SSD that I was thinking of putting in it.

I have an Ubuntu load on my eeePC, and it surfs just fine.  And it can run Open Office if I ever need it to.

Unfortunately this is to be used for school work (highschool level) and they won't allow non-windows machines.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 21 February 2019, 03:50:45 »
Waste of an SSD imho, but you can try.

How slow does it run now?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #9 on: 21 February 2019, 04:43:19 »
where can you get a copy of Win7 cheap? i have an old laptop from the Windows Vista age that i'd like to try and update to usefulness.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 21 February 2019, 11:15:54 »
where can you get a copy of Win7 cheap? i have an old laptop from the Windows Vista age that i'd like to try and update to usefulness.
if you already have a license key, you can download the install from Microsoft.
I believe you can still buy license keys, possibly even from Microsoft but I can't tell you where to get a legal license.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 22 February 2019, 05:02:37 »
if you already have a license key, you can download the install from Microsoft.
I believe you can still buy license keys, possibly even from Microsoft but I can't tell you where to get a legal license.

You can, google Windows 7 cd key and a plethora of sites show up.

Whenever you are purchasing from these sites ensure you use PayPal, since that guarantees you at least half your money back if you run into a dodgy one.

BrittanyFord

• Recruit
« Reply #12 on: 11 June 2023, 21:01:12 »
"Although my answer might be a bit late, I thought I'd share some  thoughts for others who might have the same question. When it comes to  running Windows on a low-spec laptop like the Samsung NC10 netbook, I'd  recommend going with Windows 7. Given its lower system requirements  compared to Windows 10, it should provide a smoother experience on your  machine."

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 11 June 2023, 21:16:47 »
if yo go for ssd and increase the page sys file you should be fine but you will have to get rid of all the bloat ware you can of going win 10
120gb ssd should be less than 40 usd
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 11 June 2023, 21:38:32 »
"Although my answer might be a bit late, I thought I'd share some  thoughts for others who might have the same question. When it comes to  running Windows on a low-spec laptop like the Samsung NC10 netbook, I'd  recommend going with Windows 7. Given its lower system requirements  compared to Windows 10, it should provide a smoother experience on your  machine."

A bit late? Yeah, maybe a little. Not like 4 years is that long of a time when asking questions about computer hardware  ::)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #15 on: 11 June 2023, 21:39:18 »
I'm going to be contrarian and suggest that maybe Windows XP would be a better fit than Windows 7.  it's what the netbook shipped with, has a bit less overhead, and a machine with specs this slim is a machine you're probably not going to want to mainline it anyway, making it a good candidate for a "retro" XP gaming machine.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 11 June 2023, 22:45:28 »
It's a bot, it's not a real user.  These accounts have been showing up lately and making a single post with recommendations like that to other necro'ed threads.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #17 on: 11 June 2023, 23:17:20 »
It's a bot, it's not a real user.  These accounts have been showing up lately and making a single post with recommendations like that to other necro'ed threads.

Yeah, I hadn't even noticed that - I'd been on from my phone at the time, and hadn't noticed the timestamps.  Wow.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 12 June 2023, 10:04:51 »
I still have an eeePC . . .

I still have my eeePC Mini-laptop I got, brand-new back in 2010.  I have 1Gig-Ram and like 120Gigs memory, I think.  I run Windows XP and it runs, um, ok.  The downside is if Macaffee is running, it takes ten-minutes to open up a page.  I haven't used Open-Office on there for about ten-years and it used to run Youtube just fine, and then, it didn't.  Sometimes while using Firefox, I get, (Not Responding), and I have to wait a minute for the  webpage to unfreeze.  The battery is toast so I have to pick it plugged in and I can't get a new battery or new ram because they don't make parts for it anymore.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 12 June 2023, 12:11:30 »
I still have my eeePC Mini-laptop I got, brand-new back in 2010.  I have 1Gig-Ram and like 120Gigs memory, I think.  I run Windows XP and it runs, um, ok.  The downside is if Macaffee is running, it takes ten-minutes to open up a page.  I haven't used Open-Office on there for about ten-years and it used to run Youtube just fine, and then, it didn't.  Sometimes while using Firefox, I get, (Not Responding), and I have to wait a minute for the  webpage to unfreeze.  The battery is toast so I have to pick it plugged in and I can't get a new battery or new ram because they don't make parts for it anymore.
go to electronic scrapper you will find the ram battery not so much
i actually upped mie while back with a ssd sata and 4 gb of ram still slow but not as slow as before and i got it to choke down win 10
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 12 June 2023, 17:06:07 »
go to electronic scrapper you will find the ram battery not so much
i actually upped mie while back with a ssd sata and 4 gb of ram still slow but not as slow as before and i got it to choke down win 10

I had a guy in a shop that could hook me up, but he sold his shop and opened up a restaurant and the new people were kinda clueless. I can go to an electric-store and maybe order a battery, but it's old and so slow, it's not worth it; now, I used it to go to questionable websites (which may be the reason it's so slow).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 12 June 2023, 18:24:09 »
I'm running Mint on mine... it seems to be doing ok.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #22 on: 12 June 2023, 18:28:22 »
I'm running Mint on mine... it seems to be doing ok.

For older laptops, I'd go Linux Mint over Windows 7.  At least Mint is still being updated to meet current security threats, unlike Windows 7.  My oldest laptop here can't run Windows 10, and none of my portable computers can run Windows 11, so it looks like I'll be doing some used computer shopping in the next year or two :(
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 12 June 2023, 18:31:48 »
I gave up on Ubuntu because it filled the old SSD with updates in no time flat.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #24 on: 12 June 2023, 19:59:41 »
I gave up on Ubuntu because it filled the old SSD with updates in no time flat.

I dual-booted Windows 10 and Linux Mint on my daily PC for a year and decided that Windows 10 was more convenient to use than Mint.  In my experience, Mint made program installations a chore.  I do miss the EXT4 file system though - that's the cat's whiskers!

I'll be doing a hardware upgrade just before service ends for Windows 10 just to get Windows 11.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 12 June 2023, 20:02:27 »
I only use my eeePC for web surfing and pdf reading, so the basic install works for me.