Author Topic: What are you growing? How are you growing?  (Read 5741 times)

Reldn

• Lieutenant
Re: What are you growing? How are you growing?
« Reply #30 on: 08 July 2020, 22:53:47 »
We normally do pallet gardening, but, this year we opted for spreading more of our stuff out in separate containers since our original pallets started falling apart. We've got Green Beans, Radishes, Onions, Tomatos, Lettuce, Habanero, and Carolina Reaper peppers planted.

So far the only things that have taken off and produced decently have been the radishes and the lettuce. We're finally starting to get a lot of green beans coming on, but, the tomatoes, onions, and pepper plants haven't been doing so well.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #31 on: 09 July 2020, 04:29:55 »
I did the growing thing for a while. Tried herbs, yellow squash and tomatoes, but the first two didn’t work and only got one small stunted thing on the last.

The cucumbers and jalapeños did much better.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 09 July 2020, 13:30:42 »
Despite daily watering and other efforts, most of my stuff is not fairing as well this year.  Stunted growth from a cool spring and then it just moved on to hotter than hades and everything wilts within an hour of getting water.

YEa, i am seeing all my Cucumbers starting to wilt, mostly the leaves, but some of the stems..  Pity..  I have over 60 flowers coming in...

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 11 July 2020, 14:40:06 »
BOOHISS..  This craptasticly hot summer heat, has killed my cucumber plants..  Got only ONE usable cucumber off the three i had planted, but did see almost 40 flowers ready to sprout new ones..  However the past 6 straight days of 92+ temps, even with me watering them twice a day, still saw them all wilt into nothingness...
Did get a good selection of spuds out though..  Now need to come up with a different plant to put down in those 2 beds.  Something for a fall reaping..  Thinking of doing one with Carrots, and one with sprouts.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #34 on: 13 July 2020, 07:04:29 »
My spinach has failed. Half my lettuce looks great and the other half didn't come up. Other than that the snap peas are plentiful and tasty, the melons and sweet corn look to be bountiful when they fully mature.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 17 July 2020, 02:46:42 »
after several delays i finally have something planted. When I went to the shop I was hoping that they would still have all of seeds that they had a while back, but no luck. All that they had were herbs and peas. I decided to pass and do some reading since I didn't have time to really look since they were closing soon. I did get a few tomatoe plants and a jalepeno plant that I just put in yesterday. The weather here has been in or around 100 and really took the life out of the smallest of the tomato plants. The others seem to be recovering.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 17 July 2020, 20:50:31 »
think i am mostly growing crab grass with a few wildflowers poking out...

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 19 August 2020, 03:17:03 »
after several delays i finally have something planted. When I went to the shop I was hoping that they would still have all of seeds that they had a while back, but no luck. All that they had were herbs and peas. I decided to pass and do some reading since I didn't have time to really look since they were closing soon. I did get a few tomatoe plants and a jalepeno plant that I just put in yesterday. The weather here has been in or around 100 and really took the life out of the smallest of the tomato plants. The others seem to be recovering.

Well, its been a month since my last post, above, when I finally put the plants into the ground a few days after buying them. The past few days have been rather ...exciting. 2 of the plants, a beefmaster and another large breed of tomato, were no more then 6 inches tall when I purchased them. They were planted so that half of the plant was buried, which I was kind of skeptical about. The plants have been growing a lot in the past few days, so much that I am kind of unsure what to expect the next time that I go out there to water them. Just those 2 plants alone are now occupying most of a 6 foot area in the planter along the wall. They have grown over the area of the little cherry tomato hybrid, and my jalapeno plant. I had to move one of the branches of the tomato plants because it was sitting on top of the jalapeno plant. 4 days ago I walked outside and saw little tomatoes growing, which doubled 2 days ago. Tonight I found even more. The jalapeno plant has a few chiles that look close to the right size with several more flowers kicking in.

The little hybrid tomato plant has not grown much, which I am unsure if thats just the nature of the plant or if the other plants are blocking most of the sun shine. It is starting to flower, which I hope is a sign that the plant is getting enough sunlight and is perfectly okay at it's size.

The weather has been pretty hot here, 110+, but the plants seem unaffected. I have started to prepare another small area so that I can plant some seeds for carrots. I also purchased a small pepper plant and a tabasco chile pepper plant, so this should get interesting. :)

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 19 August 2020, 11:30:36 »
Out of 200 strawberry seeds I planted in a pot, one has finally sprouted

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 19 August 2020, 14:29:20 »
I am just down to pepper plants still growing and producing... 

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 20 August 2020, 08:48:54 »
Even my pepper plants, which I usually have great luck with, haven't fared well. I didnt think that they soil i was using was that tired, since i usually replenish it well enough with new soil and fertilizer.

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 24 August 2020, 05:08:17 »
I picked the first 5 jalapenos yesterday morning, which makes my experiment a success by the very low bar that was set. I hate to hear that others are not able to grow anything because of the heat wave that has been ongoing.