Author Topic: Cenotaph Stables - Devastator  (Read 3125 times)

PucKviruS

• Recruit
Cenotaph Stables - Devastator
« on: 18 July 2011, 11:59:46 »
First, a little back story on this mini and this project.

I'm a Clan Jade Falcon Player true and true. I say about 90% of my minis are of the Clan type design. I had an NIB Devastator that I got with a bunch of other minis through a trade and it was sitting in my pile of other to be completed mechs. Along came a friend and fellow board member who was selling off all of his battletech stuff. I decided to help him out and do a 1 for 1 trade that way he can have a NIB Devastator and I can have one already assembled, primed and came with a base (win win for all.)

So, since I'm a Clan player i didnt quite know what to do with this mini. Then I came up with the bright idea to make a Solaris Stable Mech. After all I'm not particular to anyone great IS house, and honestly I do like this mech. At least I can see myself using this mini without feeling I'm betraying my clan roots.

I started searching for the right stable to paint up, and I found Cenotaph to be the easiest to do, and overall would fit my style of play. Problem was, I could not find another mini outside of  the bunch of Yen-Lo-Wang paint jobs. Which to me turned out to be a plus, both for the community (by giving another Cenotaph Stables example, and by having something that not everyone else has done.)

So it was to be done. However I first had to make a 4 new additions to this mini. Since this stock mini does not have the barrels for the PPCs and all the pictures that I was able to find I had to make the PPC barrels. Then I went and added barrels for the two torso Medium Lasers. (Yes I know the pic doesnt have them, but the Mini itself does a poor job of indicating where they are minus the one located in the head) I also didnt do one in the center torso (rear facing) as it would have taken away from the mini itself.

I started to go to work. I didnt realize Games Workshop Badab Black Wash was going to be so dark for the first application. I should have diluted it a great deal, but I think in the end it works by giving that white paint job a "dirty feel to it."  I decided that due to the accidental "over" wash that I would do the base set in the dirty confines of the factory, complete with the Devastator stomping on and crushing another mechs limb. Complete with the titanium bones, wires and green heat sink coolant gushing out. After all the pose of this mini was perfect for that "stomping on something" bit. This should complete the mech and tie in how dirty it looks. After all, what white paint job is going to look white after competing in the factory?

Also interesting points:
The Japanese Kanji on both shins is the word for "Devastate"
There is a Yen/Yang symbol on both hip joints

Couple of personal criticisms. First, I should have tried out the wash before using it on the final piece. I had to dry brush too much of the mini after the application of the wash first. I think i can live with it. Second, I sprayed way too much clear coat on the front of the shin and it made the ink on the writing run a little too much. The other shin that is up, also has this writing but didnt get hit with as much clear coat. That shin is perfect and no ink ran. Oh well..

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
Re: Cenotaph Stables - Devastator
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2011, 12:34:23 »
Hey there, nice mini. I like the idea, but would have recommended using Chinese Characters for Cenotaph since it's a Liao stable.

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

TheMaster1955

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2011, 13:23:58 »
 [rockon]
Life: Some assembly required!

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2011, 15:12:51 »
That's some very nice work; very inspired and well executed. :)

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2011, 18:42:32 »
Great job [rockon]
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2011, 21:01:08 »
Excellent work!
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2011, 06:04:53 »
Nice 8).
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team