Author Topic: To Climb Back Again  (Read 17652 times)

Kidd

• Major
Re: To Climb Back Again
« Reply #91 on: 25 May 2018, 03:27:32 »
Wait what the hell.... Fidelis?!

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #92 on: 25 May 2018, 07:28:01 »
Evil man, Evil Evil man.  You can't leave it there
Okay then, I won't. Usually post about this time anyhow.

Wait what the hell.... Fidelis?!
Jumping the gun a bit, isn't it?

Dersidatz
Blantleff, Marian Hegemony
11 May, 3070

Furey crept through the derelict city, Python held in both hands, squelching through the mud under the steadily drumming rain. Thunder and lightning echoed and re-echoed, some of it natural, some of it manmade—or BattleMech made. Visibility was nil. He could barely make out the cliff-top silhouette of the Volga, a long line of black against a background of slate grey. He shivered—he’d left the bulky cooling jacket and gauntlets in the cockpit, now he only had a pair of shorts, a short-sleeved shirt and his boots, now rapidly filling with rainwater. The rain stung his skin like ice.

The battle had devolved into chaos. Lasers cut the air back and forth, flying in every direction. Leviathans moved in the dark, tectonic footfalls shuddering the ground, giants suddenly rearing before him. A Hercules shape, cannon jutting from its chest, firing its blinding light at something Furey couldn’t see. Adelaar, maybe? The rain closed in again and it was gone.

A Purifier suit detached from the wall in front of him, its gargoyle shape illuminated by the blue-white light glowing from the scorpion-tail shape of a support PPC. Its two poison-green eyes regarded Furey a moment, as if considering. A flash of skin-tingling lightning briefly blinded Furey, and when he could see again the suit was gone, leaving only a pair of smoking, smoldering feet.

Move. He had to move. To stay out here was death. He had to find that signal.

Furey jumped into a building through a broken window as he heard the roar of an engine behind him, peeked over the bottom of the sill to see a Chevalier tank go hurtling by, armor alight with fires in half a dozen places. The ground shook as a Centurion came striding after it, chest-mounted laser stabbing into the ground just behind the tank. Then a Crab appeared at the far end of the road, and Furey threw himself down on the floor. He began frantically crawling away from the wall and window.

Outside, the Crab fired, lasers burning the air, rain hissing furiously as it evaporated in the beams. One hit the building Furey was in, slashing through the wall, straight through the room, through the wall on the opposite side of the building, and sending hailstone-sized fragments pelting down on Furey. It was followed by the deafening crash of a Luxor autocannon as the Centurion returned fire, almost directly outside the window.

Furey covered his head, trying to crawl on his elbows, cursing, praying, to what he wasn’t sure—fate, luck, destiny, the God of Narrow Escapes, anyone, anything. In answer to his prayers, another beam blasted into the building, shaking more masonry down onto him. He would have cursed, but the air was getting too hot to breathe.

Furey risked crouching, made a run for the door on the opposite side of the building. He had almost reached it when a blast wave slammed into his back and hurled him face-first into the mud outside. Furey lay a moment, gasping, spitting out muddy water, trying to shake the ringing from his ears.

He pushed one knee up, then the other, nearly fell when another shockwave blew over him. Finally got his feet under him, looked up and saw nothing but clear ground between him and the Volga. No cover, no obstacles. Achlys was still out there, somewhere, probably looking for him, and she would know where he had gone down. Would she guess he was headed for the ship?

But there was a Smoke Jaguar signal inside. Might mean Showers, and Showers might mean … other people. He wouldn’t hope.

Just go.

He slipped, staggered, slid, ran towards the hulk of the ship. Towards the black maw of a rent in its side at the ground level, passing a familiar metal slab with its ‘No Step’ label. The rain was drumming louder, more irregularly. Furey slowed. No, not rain. Another crack of sound from somewhere inside the bowels of the ship. Definitely not rain.

Furey kept his pistol up and ready as he edged into the ship, as though it were a bloodhound, pulling him reluctantly along as it strained at its leash. Smelling blood. The ship interior was hard, dark and smooth, the sudden lessening of rain a blessing. But somewhere in there was gunfire, the screeching sound of gyrojet rounds mixed with the sawblade song of assault rifles and the air-sucking bellow of a gauss rifle. Furey slid forward, fast as he dared, then faster, shrugging off caution.

Through a room once used by the Marians as a mess hall, metal tables thrown on their sides and strung across the room into a makeshift barrier, pockmarked with laser burns and holed by gunfire. Furey vaulted over, found three red-clad bodies on the other side, and a man leaning against the wall. Arman, chin down against his chest, shotgun still cradled in his arms.

Furey knelt, checked for a pulse. Grimaced and stood, listening intently. Staccato gunshots rang into the room. Furey was moving again, feet almost noiseless on the deck plates.

A frog-like shadow lurked at an intersection in the corridor, clutching a gyroslug carbine, its back to him. A red body lay sprawled in the middle of the intersection.

A white moon of face, with a dark crater of mouth twisted around when Furey was two steps away, and Furey fired twice, drilling the man through the roof of his mouth, through the forehead, pitching the body out into the intersection. As soon as it hit, there was a burst of rifle fire, and bullets stitched into the body.

“Hardcase!” Furey yelled. “Haven’s company. Furey!”

A moment of tense silence followed. “Oh yeah? When’s Haven’s birthday?”

“What? How the hell should I know?”

“Just checking. Advance.”

Furey turned the corner and found Irons at the end of the hallway, in a white-walled room, his boxer’s squashed nose and puffy ears sticking up from behind something that looked vaguely like a hospital bed inserted into the hole in a massive metal donut.

“Irons! Am I glad to see a familiar fa … person. Where is everyone?” Furey asked. He returned the Python to its shoulder holster, bent down to retrieve one of the carbines. Checked the magazine, slid it back.

“After Haven disappeared, Bor ordered a breakout,” Irons explained. “Went okay at first, then they hit us with reinforcements, led by some devil-woman.”

Furey looked up from the carbine. “Woman?” Knowing already who it would be.

“Yeah, crazy fast. She got Arman, another guy, maybe one or two of the techs. I dunno. We were scattered, everyone just trying to save themselves. Think Bor and Bulldog made it. Dunno about Callahan.”

Furey went very still. “What. About. Callahan?”

Irons caught himself, took a breath. “Oh, yeah, she was here, man—”

“She was where?”

“Her and a couple of the techies, and that clanner, Showers. All made it here and—”

“Where did she go?”

“Lost track of her when we split up think she was heading for the freight elevator—” He pointed, and then Irons was talking to Furey’s back, as he charged out of the room.

“Ah, ok, great then,” Irons called after. “Guess I’ll, uh, just stay here and guard the retreat.” Glanced around the room, now oppressively dark and empty. “Shit,” he muttered.

The walls, rooms, passages passed before Furey’s eyes in a blur. Here and there, bodies, in Word of Blake red, mercenary green or the Hardcase grey and orange. He stopped and bent over each one. No, not her, no, no, not her either.

A Word of Blake militiaman, shot three times in the chest, coughed and gurgled as Furey passed. He crouched beside the man. “A technician, orange-red hair, blue spiral tattoos. You see her?”

“Water,” the man croaked.

“Did you see her?”

“Water,” the man repeated, but his eyes moved to one of the side corridors.

“I have what you need right here,” Furey said grimly, and shot the man in the head. A gyro-rocket round at point-blank range did not leave much behind.

He ran down the corridor.

At the end, there was a room, like the bottom of a great elevator shaft, square and high-walled, the corners lost in shadow, going up and up and up, only a faint spotlight illuminating the center, from some hole or crack in the hull, much higher up. Rain dripped down from that height, puddling the floor. Some of the elevator struts had failed, shattered and fallen, forming a kind of rough circle of broken steel.

And in the center of that steel and light, she stood.

Furey blinked, sure his mind was playing tricks on him. The vision did not waver though. It was her—orange-red hair, blue-veined skin, baggy uniform two sizes too big. It was her. Standing still and rigid, alone in the pool of light.

“Phoebe? Phoebe!” Furey called out, advancing into the room. “You … You’re alive. You really … you’re alive! You’re here. You’re really here! What are you doing here?”

Mutely, she shook her head, standing perfectly still. Her eyes quickly flicked left, then right. A warning.

From the shadows behind and on either side of him came the metal slide of carbines being cocked.

“What a jolly little reunion this is, my little lovebirds,” said the voice of Achlys. “We haven’t been like this since the courthouse and my dear, departed brother. We have so much catching up to do.”

Furey looked up. Achlys was perched on a narrow beam, about four meters above the deck, one leg dangling lazily down, a laser pistol held in one hand. Her smile was tight and humorless.

“Surrender or she dies, clanner,” Achlys said.

From the shadows of the room, a pair of Word of Blake Militia soldiers advanced, carbines at the ready. Footsteps said there were two more behind him. Slowly, Furey lowered the carbine, ignoring Phoebe frantically shaking her head, and let it clatter to the deck.

“Oops, did I say ‘or’ she dies?” Achlys giggled. “Silly old me, making a mistake like that. Surrender and then she dies. You too, of course. Oriax and his bizarre clan fetish can go hang.” She nodded to the two men behind Furey. “Bind him.” Achlys raised her index finger and tapped her bottom lip. “Now, which of my lovebirds to kill fir—”

Furey felt hands reaching for his arms. Let his right hand drop to the butt of the Python pistol holstered under his left arm, angled it up without bothering to draw it, and fired it twice, directly backwards. Then twisted, hammering his left elbow into the man he’d just shot, sending him staggering into the second man behind him.

Drew the gun, firing as it came flying out from the holster. Once, twice to the left of Phoebe, then swinging right, firing two more times, taking the man in the chest and throat. Still moving right, to the second man behind him, so close the barrel almost touched him, shot him twice through the heart.

Then was lifted off his feet as something slammed into the side of his chest. Achlys—she’s dropped down, kicked him. Like a jackhammer. She stood right in front of him, drawing back for another blow. Furey raised the gun and pulled the trigger. Click, click. Empty magazine.

Achlys grinned nastily. “My turn,” she said. She hit him once, almost playfully. It was like being hit by a bear. Furey’s head snapped back, his vision blurred and distorted. “Ready for more?” Achlys drew back her fist again.

Phoebe cracked her on the back of her skull with a meter-long shard of steel, swung two-handed. Achlys staggered forward, spun around. In time for Phoebe’s second swing to catch her on the other side of her head.

Achlys fell to her knees, head bowed. Phoebe raised the steel bar over her head and brought it whistling down on the base of the woman’s skull. Achlys slumped to the ground.

Phoebe looked down at the body, chest heaving, waiting for it to move. Then she dropped the bar with a clang and was in Furey’s arms.

“Look at you. You’re a mess,” she chided. “The fearless explorer.”

“Natives seem a bit hostile,” Furey slurred, blinking hard, trying to get his vision back. “Glad to see my daring rescue is appreciated.”

“Is that what it was?” She put a hand on either side of his face and kissed him long and hard. “Now, how a bit of daring escaping?”

“Showers,” he began. “Don’t look at me like that. There was a signal, from inside this ship. Showers said he found something, something powerful. The man’s as reasonable as a Stephan Amaris fan club, but he might have something we can use to escape. You know where he went?”

Phoebe frowned, then nodded. “Medical section,” she said. “He disappeared, up near the bow.”

“Okay, just a moment.” Furey cast around for a gun.

And saw Achlys push herself slowly, unsteadily back to her feet. Blood ran from her scalp, painting her face in streams of red. “Going so soon lovebirds?” she asked. “We’re only just getting started.” She raised a hand to her skull in exploration, and Furey watched as the bone gave wetly under her fingers.

“On second thoughts, run,” shouted Furey, and they fled down the corridor.

“This way,” urged Phoebe, taking Furey’s hand, leading him back through the twisted maze of hallways and rooms, over the blasted corpse of the man Furey had shot, into the medical lab, with Tranh still lying on the floor, blood puddling beneath her stomach, staring sightlessly up at the ceiling. Behind, they could hear Achlys screaming in rage, calling for her men.

“Come on!” Phoebe shouted, dragging Furey into the darkened corridor between the operating rooms. The corridor ended in a blank wall of dirty, battered steel. “Okay, so where is he?” she demanded to Furey.

“I don’t know!” Furey protested. “His signal was coming from inside the ship, that’s all I know.”

“Well, we’d better figure out pretty damn fast before miss flathead finds us,” Phoebe began hammering on the steel wall. “Look for secret doors. And mind your damned language.”

“You keep looking for a door, I’ll find a weapon,” Furey glanced left and right at the rooms at either end of the corridor, then plunged into the one on the right.

Phoebe heard Furey give a startled yell, then curse, then bellow “YEEES!”

She found him blinking up at her from the bottom of a hole in the floor. “I think I found where Showers went,” he told her, brightly.

“And they say Smoke Jaguars aren’t known for their intelligence,” she groaned, then lowered herself into the hole, onto the downward-sloping tunnel beneath. “Why couldn’t my boyfriend be from one of the smarter clans. Like a Wolf, they’re smart aren’t they? How about a Jade Falcon? What do they do?”

“Die heroically, mainly,” Furey started down the tunnel, waving her after him. “Come on, this must be a way out. Only reason Showers would be down here.”

The tunnel wasn’t long, but what they found at the end was a bit of a surprise.

A huge cavern. A massive tunnel leading to daylight. At their feet was the body of Captain Frazier Haven, hands still clasped over a blackened hole in his abdomen, on his face a look of pure, profound irritation.

In the center of the room, looming like a statue, stood a BattleMech.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #93 on: 25 May 2018, 08:23:44 »
In the center of the room stood a BattleMech.  Not a nasty, dirty, wet room, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a BattleMech-hole, and that means comfort.

In the center of the room stood a BattleMech.  Missing its head but still a BattleMech.
In the center of the room stood a BattleMech.  It looked down at the pair and spoke... "Life here began out there"
In the center of the room stood a BattleMech.  As it aimed its weapon at them, a shadowy figure whispered from the shadows "Klaatu barada nikto"

There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #94 on: 25 May 2018, 11:04:31 »
Jumping the gun a bit, isn't it?
Stone used them during the Jihad too.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #95 on: 25 May 2018, 13:38:49 »
Here I am back from the dead.
You calling DOC a romantic, now I am worried.
what I'm not romantic??? :smitten:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #96 on: 26 May 2018, 06:47:18 »
In the center of the room stood a BattleMech.  Not a nasty, dirty, wet room, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a BattleMech-hole, and that means comfort.
Guys, I think we broke Mike. Too many movies--get this man some high-brow literature, STAT. Gimmie 60ccs of Chales Dickens and all THREE of the Karamazov brothers, like, yesterday. It's ok, Mike. Just look over the river. I'll tell you about the rabbits.

Stone used them during the Jihad too.
No that's not what I m--know what? I'll just shut up now. Keep reading.

Beneath the Wreck, Dersidatz
Blantleff, Marian Hegemony
11 May, 3070

It was a Stormcrow, a 55-ton OmniMech with a shark-like cockpit jutting from the center torso, well below the shoulders, giving it an oddly hunchbacked look. The two slender arms each mounted a pair of laser cannon, together with spindly—almost Tyrannosauroid—manipulator hands. A fifth laser was mounted beneath the nose.

Furey recognized it from his training on Huntress. It was a fast scout-killer, with enough armor and firepower to take on other medium or even heavy-weight opponents, while the all-energy loadout mean it stayed in the fight as long as its MechWarrior was still breathing.

It was painted light and dark grey, and a snarling jaguar shape leaped along the side of the nose.

At the foot of the BattleMech was what looked like a long-abandoned camp: a one-man tent, the blackened carbon remains of a fire, two square boxes, probably originally storage lockers taken from the Stormcrow’s cockpit. On top of one box rested an encyclopedically thick, leather-bound book.

There were two men in the camp, one standing, one kneeling at the others’ feet. The one standing was powerfully-built, almost Elemental in stature, grey-eyed, bearded, dressed in a blood-red uniform. The one kneeling was Star Captain Morton Showers.

They turned towards the tunnel as Furey and Phoebe stood there, and Showers rose to his feet, indicating the man next to him with a sweep of his hand.

“MechWarrior Leto, may I present to you Word of Blake Precentor Oriax,” Showers said, open palm towards the standing man. “This is the cadet Leto, one of our lost children. The one who rescued me from Achlys’s prison.”

“Ah yes, the one that killed Moros,” the man nodded. “I sent Achlys to find him, you know, before I found out what she’d done to you, Showers.”

“Precentor?” Furey stammered.

“You may call him Galaxy Commander Stephan Osis,” Showers smiled.

The name hit Furey like a hammer. The enemy commander. A Smoke Jaguar. A Galaxy Commander, at that. “A single statement should not contain so many questions,” he said at last.

The man’s grey eyes flicked over Furey contemptuously. “He is truly one of us?” Almost disbelieving.

“Yes, that is one of the questions,” agreed Furey.

“A cadet, as I said, from the Furey and McCaig bloodnames,” said Showers. “He shows promise, but I fear he is tainted by the Inner Sphere ways. I leave his fate in your hands of course, Galaxy Commander.”

They could hear faint voices in the tunnel. Footsteps.

“Maybe you can catch up later, Furey?” Phoebe cut in. “That woman is about ten seconds behind us now.”

“Woman?” Oriax/Osis frowned at Showers.

“Probably Achlys, Galaxy Commander.”

“Ah,” Oriax/Osis shook his head, almost sadly. “Speaking of tainted things. A tool that has reached the end of its useful life, that one. It is almost sad, but then sacrifices must be made.”

The racing footsteps behind them grew louder, closer, and five people burst into the cavern, Achlys in the lead, four gyroslug carbine-armed soldiers behind her, before they skidded to a halt. Four carbines were aimed at Furey and Phoebe, as they slowly raised their hands, but Achlys was not looking at them.

“Precentor!” Achlys exclaimed. There was surprise there, Furey saw, but also fear.

“You disappoint me, Achlys,” the man—Oriax/Osis—said, with a long-suffering sigh. “You abducted my aide,” he nodded to Showers, “And then tortured him, thinking you will gain my prize and usurp my position. You tried to kill the other one, then bungled the mission to capture him. Your attack upon this city is now foundering. The Word of Blake rewards ambition, Achlys, but it punishes failure.”

“I don’t know what you—”

“Sacrifices must be made.” Oriax nodded towards the quartet of men on either side of Achlys. “Kill her.”

What happened was almost too quick for the eye to follow, leaving only a jumbled shrapnel of visual after-images. Achlys was fast, Furey had known that, unbelievably fast. Even as Oriax was saying ‘her’ she was moving, a roundhouse kick catching the nearest man and snapping his neck, while a blast from her laser pistol caught the man beside him in the chest and blew him off his feet.

She was wheeling to face the other two when they opened fire. Gyroslugs tore through her body, blowing craters out of her back. Achlys staggered, still firing, catching a third man through the throat. The last soldier fired again, and she crumpled, pistol hand still convulsing on the trigger, burning holes in the cavern ceiling before finally going limp and falling across her blood-smeared body. The last standing man stood over her body, rifle aiming down at her head. He fired again. One of Achlys’s legs twitched. He fired once more. Then grunted, satisfied.

“Well done, Acolyte,” said Oriax. The surviving soldier, still breathing hard, turned and saluted. Oriax drew his own laser pistol, and shot the man between the eyes. The pistol shifted to aim at Furey as the body thumped to the ground. “And you, MechWarrior? Where do you stand? Will you, too, betray our cause?”

“What cause?”

“When the end became clear, too many of our leaders sought death in battle, or at their own hands,” Oriax sighed. “They thought that was the real sacrifice. That if our clan died, then they must die, too. But they were wrong of course, you cannot kill a clan so easily, no more than you can kill an idea. An idea like: a society should be ruled by its strongest warriors. That idea, the spirit of Smoke Jaguar, lives on. And the real sacrifice is not in glorious death, but in living to plan revenge.”

“I once thought so, too,” Furey admitted. “But I saw the Inner Sphere is already doing our work for us. How can there be any revenge for us, at the side of the Word of Blake? What is it that you aim to do?”

“Bind our clan to the Word of Blake, of course,” Oriax frowned. “How else can we be revenged upon our enemies? We will join with them, and cleanse the galaxy of the traitors, the betrayers, those who left our people to die.”

Furey looked from Oriax to Showers, incredulously. “Is this what you wanted, Star Captain? To enslave our people to these clan-hating fanatics? They stand opposed to everything Smoke Jaguar represented.”

“Not at all. We will rule through power and force, just as our Khans intended. And in creating a Smoke Jaguar society, we shall recreate the clan,” Oriax waved a hand to silence Showers before he could interrupt. “They hate the clans, yes. So do I. The faithless vermin who turned their backs on us. We shall slaughter the traitor Nova Cats. Next the Ghost Bears who cravenly refused to fight. The Wolves and Jade Falcons who sought to undermine us. They shall all pay.” Oriax looked back to Showers. “He does not understand.”

Showers shrugged, unconcerned. “Sacrifices must be made.”

“I could not have said it better myself.” Oriax raised the pistol.

A single shot echoed through the cavern.

Oriax frowned. Looked down. Reached up and touched the bloody hole in his chest. Turned to look at Showers. “Why?” he asked, and crumpled to the ground.

Showers lowered a Nova laser pistol. “Sacrifices, etcetera, Galaxy Commander.”
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #97 on: 26 May 2018, 07:02:20 »
What... what... what... what...

P.s. oh yeah forgot. Manei Domini explode with the force of a largeish grenade when they die. Spoilsport explosive which they can self-activate or by dead mans switch.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #98 on: 26 May 2018, 09:20:57 »
Okay nice swerve there, WOB anti-clan fanatics sheltering bloodnamed members of Smoked Kitty, one who have risen in rank Precentor.  I didn't see that coming. :screw_loose:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #99 on: 26 May 2018, 10:08:30 »
Okay nice swerve there, WOB anti-clan fanatics sheltering bloodnamed members of Smoked Kitty, one who have risen in rank Precentor.  I didn't see that coming. :screw_loose:

I´ll bet those clanners would live maybe five seconds beyond the point when the Master thinks they are no longer needed.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #100 on: 26 May 2018, 10:57:52 »
Nicely written.

Good, Bad, Furey's the man with the gun.

And Achlys got real ugly.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #101 on: 26 May 2018, 17:14:07 »
A smoked kitty galaxy commander joining the toasters to get revenge.
Never would have imagined a storyline like that.
Nice one. :thumbsup:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #102 on: 26 May 2018, 18:16:57 »
Nice.  Nothing like a reveal and some backstabbing to spice things up.

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
« Reply #103 on: 26 May 2018, 18:52:51 »
At the foot of the BattleMech was what looked like a long-abandoned camp: a one-man tent, the blackened carbon remains of a fire, two square boxes, probably originally storage lockers taken from the Stormcrow’s cockpit. On top of one box rested an encyclopedically thick, leather-bound book.

Bet this is the remembrance....

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #104 on: 26 May 2018, 21:01:12 »
Having a lazy morning today (that's Strayan time, my American cousins) so here's the next installment.
Won't do my usual thing of quoting each reply, as there have been a gratifying large number of them! Lots of suprise at the Oriax reveal--I think I said before I like twists, but try to leave clues ahead of time. We've heard Oriax speak once before (when he didn't use contractions), and both Moros & Achlys repeatedly mentioned his clan obsession, so hoped you felt that *something* odd was up with him--especially after the Showers/Achlys confrontation. Obviously, the WoB doesn't know who he really is (as discussed in this installment), as shown by Achlys' mystification over said obsession.
And I see mikecj still not cured of popculturism. Think it's time to bring out the big guns: Both War AND Peace, as well as Pride AND Prejudice, possibly even Crime AND Punshiment, though maybe that's overkill.

Furey stared down at the body. Put out a hand and felt Phoebe clasp it and steady him. “Please tell me this madness has a purpose, Star … Showers.”

“You were right,” Showers said mildly. “You heard him. Osis would have made us a tool of his vengeance, not caring if it corrupted us in the process. Smoke Jaguar is more than that. Ours is the paradise of Terra, Leto, ours is the liberation of the Universe, just as was promised. No man may alter our destiny, not even a Galaxy Commander. I needed him to bring me to this planet, to find the man who hid here, but once I found what I needed, Osis was expendable. A necessary sacrifice. The individual does not matter, only the clan.”

“You were working with him from the start? But I found you in prison.”

“Hmm, well obviously she did not know who Osis was,” Showers waved his pistol towards the body of Achlys. “Though she suspected. She abducted me, tried to torture me into telling her what Oriax wanted. The Word of Blake is factionalized that way. Their weakness. Imagine the irony,” Showers chuckled dryly, without humor. “Imprisoned in the very place I used to interrogate Mehta, the one who’d hidden here.”

“To what end, Showers?”

Showers set down his pistol, crossed to the storage crate on the floor and reverently lifted the book in two hands. The cover black, held with two metal clasps and densely illustrated, inlaid with silver, highlighting a leaping jaguar, itself shaped from some kind of veined, dark stone.

“I came here looking for this. This,” Showers shook the book in his hands. “This is a copy of the Smoke Jaguar Remembrance, Leto. The only copy left, now. In these pages is the history of our people, Leto. All the answers you are looking for, they are in here. Where we come from, what we must become. Your genefather is here, your genemother. Your line, stretching back for centuries. Everything they wanted for you, every dream they held for you. Everything is in here.”

Showers held the book out towards Furey. “Come Leto, feel the weight of it, feel the history. Then you will know what you must do.”

Furey took a hesitant step forward, hand half-raised. Showers might be mad, but this … this was undeniable. The Remembrance was the soul of the clan, both a record of its history, and a map to its future. It was the father and mother he had never known. It was Cole, the trainer who had died helping him to escape from Huntress. It was the Bible, the Talmud, the Vedas, Sutras or the Quran, if they had been written by your own grandfather. It was the gate and the keys to Heaven, if Heaven was a place you could walk to as easily as the grocery store.

It was family, it was home.

“He killed Haven, Furey,” Phoebe said.

Showers shrugged carelessly. “Freebirth scum, genetic garbage. A small sacrifice for the rebirth of our clan. Come, Leto … Furey. Come.”

Furey took another step, and another, until his fingers brushed the cover, tracing the outline of the jaguar there. Felt the years there, the generations of hopes and dreams and plans for the future, for him, embedded there.

“He killed the other one: Osis, too. He’ll kill you too, just another sacrifice.”

“The individual is insignificant, Furey. As long as the clan survives. Now be silent, freebirth woman. Furey has made his choice.”

“That’s right, Furey. Take the choice you’re given.”

Furey’s hand stopped then. He pulled it back. The hopes and dreams and plans faded from his touch. Other people’s hopes. Strangers’ dreams. Plans for a future that would never come to pass. There was a time to honor those things. And there was a time to put them aside.

“No,” he said simply. He took a step back. “No, the past is a prison. I’ll honor my heritage by learning from the past, not repeating it.” He looked back at Phoebe, gave her a reassuring smile. “We’ll make our own choices.”

“You fool!” Showers shouted, snarling. “Look at you! Just look at you! Taking orders from freeborn lucrewarriors. Treating those surat as equals—as brothers. Cavorting with a freeborn stravag. You will tell me you are in love with her, no doubt. Pfah. Look at you!” He raised the book over his head, shaking it. “What has happened to the blood of Kerensky? His legacy? His heritage? Better we should die out than live to see our destiny corrupted so!”

Furey lowered his head. Nodded slowly. “You are right,” he said, softly, quietly. “You are right.”

Showers caught his breath, surprised, then smiled broadly. He lowered the book and put it back on the crate. “I knew you would see reason. Now kill this—”

“I do love this woman.” Furey’s voice grew louder. His head came back up. “And Nicholas Kerensky tasked us to become the perfect warriors, to fight any enemy, anywhere, and to win. And I have. I have fought Clan Ghost Bear, Jade Falcon, for and against both sides of the Steiner-Davion civil war, fought here in the far stars of the Periphery, with any and every weapon, and I survived. Because that is the only victory that matters: survival. Kerensky wanted the perfect weapon, not to destroy, but to protect what we built. Not to rule, but to serve, to be the wall behind which life can grow. Might does not make right—might is made by it. What happened to the blood of Kerensky? The legacy of Kerensky? I happened. I’m the legacy.” Furey pounded his chest with a fist, voice echoing in the cavern. “That book holds the answers? I’m the answer. I’m what we must become.”

Showers grew very still. “Traitor,” he hissed. “You reject what we are. You will never be Smoke Jaguar.”

“No,” Furey agreed. “I’m something else.”

“You will be nothing,” Showers retorted, and the gun was in his hand again.

“A Trial of Grievance,” Furey said. “Face me in a Circle of Equals. Here, now, unarmed.”

“There is no batchall, no zellbrigen, no Trial with you filth. You reject our ways.”

“You are afraid I am stronger. You think the old ways are better? Then prove it. Fight a cadet with no bloodname, who never faced a Trial of Position, who refuses to follow the past blindly. Or admit you are wrong, the old ways are dead, and that in order to survive, Smoke Jaguar must change.”

Showers hesitated, then he smiled. “You think I am afraid of you? Very well. We will fight, and I will show you the error of your ways.” His smiled broadened. “But first—”

The laser pistol shifted, and fired. The beam zipped past Furey, close enough to feel the heat on his skin. And behind him, he heard Phoebe cry out, and saw her fall as he turned around.

Showers laughed and tossed away the pistol as Furey screamed with rage and leaped towards him.

Showers blocked the first blow with his elbow, then Furey cracked him across the jaw. Showers’ head snapped to one side, then he kicked Furey in his side, driving him back a step. Swung for Furey, meeting air as Furey dodged back. Furey stamped down at the man’s shins, then aimed a roundhouse kick at his head.

Showers caught Furey’s foot, used the momentum to pivot around and throw Furey bodily across the cavern. Furey rolled and sprang to his feet as Showers came at him again.

“Such a waste, Leto,” the man sneered. “You could have stood at my side, at the gates of Terra.”

“Right up until you decided another sacrifice was needed.”

Furey managed to deflect Showers’ first strike, then the second slipped beneath his guard and caught him in the stomach, dropping him back to the ground. Showers kicked at his head, but Furey rolled away, then kicked up at Showers from the ground, hit the man in the abdomen, making him stagger back, reaching for air that wouldn’t come. Gave time for Furey to find his feet again.

“The strong will never be sacrificed, only the weak and tainted,” Showers wheezed, then straightened. “You are a cancer, and you must be cut from the clan before you infect us all.” Showers reached around to the small of his back, and his hand came back holding a slender, sharp blade.

He lunged at Furey and slashed in a single movement, but Furey ducked, let the blade pass over his head, then caught the wrist as Showers charged past, used the man’s momentum to twist him around, so that Furey was behind him, the knife in front of both, Both Furey and Showers had their hands on the blade. Furey pushing the blade down towards Showers’ throat.
Showers got a forearm in front of the blade, pushing up. Furey roared, pressing down with all his strength, edging the blade closer and closer to Showers.

Showers suddenly bent double, carrying Furey off his feet, up over Showers’ back, then tumbling to the ground in front of him. Furey staggered to one knee before Showers kicked him, hitting him just below the ear, sending him reeling backwards, tripping, falling, smacking his head against the crate that the Remembrance sat on.

A foot came crushing down on Furey’s right hand, pinning him to the floor, and then Showers’ left hand was around his neck, holding his head against the side of the crate. The silver blade of the knife shimmered before his watering eyes.

“You … cheated,” Furey gasped.

“I was not planning to at first, but,” Showers grinned, waved the knife back and forth. “You were too strong for your own good. Nothing can stand in the way of the rebirth of our clan, not even honor. Sacrifices. Now—”

Furey’s left hand gripped the edge of the Remembrance, and brought it smacking into Showers’ face. It was more surprising than painful, delivered with his off-hand, using nothing more than a leather-bound book, but the pressure on Furey’s throat and wrist eased for a second. It was enough.

Furey bent at the waist, hooking one knee around Showers’ neck, locking it under the other knee, breaking the man’s grip as his hands flew to this throat, allowing Furey to slam the man down on his back, their positions now reversed.

Showers drove his blade into Furey’s thigh, tearing a scream of agony from him, loosening the choke hold and letting the man wriggle free. Showers pulled the blade free and stabbed down again—only to be blocked by the Remembrance. The blade punched through the cover, the pages, then stuck there.

Furey threw the book aside, tearing the blade from Showers’ hands. Rammed his palm into the man’s chin, snapping his head back, sending him crashing to the cavern floor.

As Showers lay moaning, spitting blood, Furey hauled himself back to his feet, one hand braced on the crate, then standing, one leg still bleeding and weak. Showers’ discarded Nova pistol was on the crate. Looked familiar—Haven’s, he realized. Furey picked it up, shuffled over to stand over the man.

“Rebirth is impossible,” he told Showers. “But we shall make this cave a chrysalis, and see if we can emerge as something new. A pity you will not live to see it. Any last words?”

Showers looked up at him, eyes filled with hate. “You will ne—”

Furey fired down. “Thought not,” he said flatly, and let the pistol drop onto Showers’ body.

He looked around the cavern. At all the death. Could anything good come of so much betrayal? So many murders? Achlys, Osis, Showers, Phoebe—he caught his breath.

Phoebe moved, groaned, hands going to her side.

He ran, staggered, fell at her side. Gently lifted her hands away, saw the baggy uniform had saved her, most of the beam missing, leaving a red, raw burn along her side. “Medical kit,” he muttered. Staggered back to the crates, ripped them open, fumbling desperately until he found what he was looking for—a clan emergency medpack. Furey ran back to Phoebe’s side. His shaking hands tore it open. Anesthetic, antibiotic gel, gauze.

Her eyelids fluttered open as he worked.

“Thank the Founder for badly-tailored uniforms. That’s twice you’ve fooled me into thinking you were dead,” he chided, softly. “Shame on you.”

“Fearless explorer,” she whispered. “You’re bleeding.”

“Just a scratch,” he said, smiling. “I’ve had worse.”

She smiled thinly. “And Showers?”

“Went about as well as a Steiner-Davion family reunion.”

“I’m sorry. I know he was your family.”

“No,” Furey smiled again. “No, he was most definitely not my family.”

Phoebe caught the emphasis. “Furey that must be the strangest damn proposal a girl has ever gotten. You’re one odd cat, you know that?”

“Someone might have told me that before.”

“Can’t think who. Okay, cat, how the hell do we get out of this one?”

Furey looked up at the massive figure looming over them. “Might have an idea,” he said.

“The two of us? Just like old times.”

“Yes, or putting it another way, no,” Furey put one arm under Phoebe’s shoulders, the other under her knees, gently lifting her from the ground. “Something quite different, this time.”

Reactor online. Sensors online. Weapons online. All systems nominal, the BattleMech purred. It sounded like Cole, his trainer, back in his sibko. It sounded. Eager. Furey found himself smiling, lips pulled back so that it was half a snarl.

“Marian Hegemony forces, this is Leto Furey, Hardy’s Hardcases,” Furey broadcast. “Be advised I have found a Clan OmniMech and am bringing it to join the fight.”

“Principes Adelaar. Where the hell are you?”

“Just follow the explosions.”

The Stormcrow strode from the tunnel and into the swirling storm of the battle. It fell like a thunderbolt on the Word of Blake, striking them with hurricane force, a blizzard of coruscating laser fire.

He twisted left, scythed down a Nexus without missing a step. Right, angled up. Blasted a leaping Spider so that all that landed were burning, melted fragments.

Furey dodged aside as a clamshell-handed Crab fired and scuttled behind a building. Furey raced around the far end of the building, turning the corner behind the Crab, its back exposed to him. Lasers carved into the Crab’s back and blew out the engine. It collapsed in a smoking wreck.

The wall exploded outwards as a Shootist charged him, massive underarm autocannon firing a volley of armor-killing shells, but Furey slipped aside, like the Shootist was standing still, almost dancing around the glowing tracers, untouchable. His answering fire hammered the Mech’s side, detonating the ammunition there, blowing out half the ’Mech’s back. The Stormcrow’s lasers lashed out again and again, blistering and bubbling armor, eating into the heart of the Shootist until it reeled drunkenly and fell backwards into one of the buildings.

Furey marched forwards, aware of the Marians cheering, now rallying behind him, sweeping the Circinians before them.

The brawler form of a Grand Crusader blocked the way, the smokestack shapes of its back-mounted heat exchangers blotting out the sky. Its MechWarrior held his ground, firing everything, pulsing laser blasts, screaming flocks of missiles, but he was just a man, however augmented. And Furey was the heir to the blood, the legacy and heritage of Clan Smoke Jaguar. A pair of laser beams scythed into the Grand Crusader’s head, devouring it in a consuming torrent of white fire, detonating it in an almighty explosion.

The Circinians fled, but out on the steppe, there was nowhere to hide.

Phoebe was whooping, clinging to the back of the command chair with one hand, hammering on the ceiling of the cockpit with her other.

The Stormcrow struck and struck and struck again. Target acquired. Target destroyed. Target acquired. Target destroyed. The machine sang to him, a satisfied little battle hymn, a roll-call of destruction.

In the cockpit, Furey gave a Cheshire smile. The war for this planet had begun with a Smoke Jaguar. It would end with one.   

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #105 on: 26 May 2018, 21:52:23 »
“Went about as well as a Steiner-Davion family reunion.”   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
« Reply #106 on: 27 May 2018, 09:26:30 »
haha nice

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #107 on: 27 May 2018, 19:07:03 »
Time to wrap this baby up ... here's the epilogue.

A hidden place
An unknown world
Several years later

The newest brothers filed into the long subterranean hall, yellow and orange glow-globes throwing sharp shadows across the cavern walls and floor. At the end of the cavern stood the Keeper, head bowed as though asleep, or else in thought. Beside him, on a tall pedestal, rested a book, an ancient ink-and-paper book, its cover slashed, huge and worn with history.

His was not the wildness of the Widowmaker, nor the brute strength of the last Khan. His strength was a sleeping, coiled thing, half-hidden in shadow, that struck once because it only needed to strike once.

The Teacher was there, too, standing at his side.

They sat quietly at his feet, and waited for him to begin.

He cleared his throat.

“This is our book. It remembers who we are and where we came from. It was once the most sacred thing your ancestors possessed.”

The Keeper reached for it, traced a hand along the jaguar shape on the cover, then let it fall limply, dismissively away. “You do not need it. Once we were given the choice: to either submit to this book, unquestioning, or else to reject it, and live life only by the sword, forsaking all other guides.

“You are here because you know both those paths lead to darkness. To fragile and brittle stasis or else to madness and death. We reject these choices. We recognize that strength is not the goal, but the means to the end. And the end is to become a bulwark, a wall, against both those who follow the book and those who reject all books, against both the King of Slaves and the Khan of Chaos. To create a fortress behind which humanity can resist the tides of both fanaticism and anarchy.

“To that end, we give everything, fight with every weapon—but not blindly, not as the ant fights, but with the knowledge of who and what we fight for: An oasis of sanity in the galaxy. We fight with every weapon, with strength and guile, with stealth and with force, with every weapon. Every one. Each and every one of you is a brother or sister, not a technician, not a scientist, not a soldier or MechWarrior. If you are a MechWarrior, you will learn to repair or sabotage a ‘Mech. If you are a technician, you will learn to kill or destroy with technology. You are all a part of our fraternity, and the only law I lay upon you is fidelity to your brothers and sisters.

“This book reminds us of our past, but shall remain shut. It is a signpost, not the destination. We know who we are. With every breath, every thought and every action, you express it. On this, let us swear an oath, in blood.”

A chorus of voices replied: “Seyla.”

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #108 on: 27 May 2018, 19:17:32 »
So there you have it—a retcon-slash-prequel to Blaine Lee Pardoe’s “Surrender Your Dreams”, in which I tried to construct a new backstory for the Fidelis/Smoke Jaguar remnants that explains things such as what the ‘unopened book’ is and why it remains unopened (to symbolize their desire to both respect and move on from their past, embodied in the Remembrance), why a tradition-bound clan threw aside distinctions between castes and warrior specialties, and embraced ‘Black Ops’ (because their spiritual leader fought in a variety of roles in his life), and why a society that never before showed any interest in classical education starts using Latin names for everything (because their leader conceived of the new society while serving in the Rome-aping Marian Hegemony).

The other thing I was trying to do was have a story in which the situation/environment reflects the protagonist's progression. It's all about his literal and emotional climb out of the hole he starts in (crater hole & hopelessness): He starts out unarmed, gets a gun, then a junk Mech, then a BattleMech, and finally an OmniMech, just as he goes from nihilism, to being torn between Phoebe's self-determination and Showers' self-abnegation (the angel & devil on his shoulders), to a kind of synthesis at the end.

Notes/Easter eggs:

Achlys
In Greek mythology, the personification of misery and sadness.

Artemev, Phoebe
The name Phoebe means “radiant/shining one,” representing her role in the story as the one who guides Furey away from both self-destructive tendencies and worship of the past. The name Artemev is an Easter Egg for readers willing to do a bit of research. I’ll say no more.

Blantleff
A Word of Blake/Circinian Federation attack on Blantleff is briefly mentioned in the “Jihad: The Final Reckoning” sourcebook. I’ve expanded on this, as well as suggested a hidden motive for the invasion. The geography and climate of the planet, as well as the presence of the crashed spaceship, are entirely my invention.

Circinian creole
Based on a slurred, truncated version of Quebecois French with added loan words from other languages, rendered phonetically (in keeping with presenting everything from Furey’s viewpoint, as he wouldn’t know how French is spelled). Hence, the gravedigger asks “T’chu parl?” = Tu parles?, “Vzet” = “Vous êtes” etc.

Furey, Leto
The name “Leto” is an homage to Frank Herbert’s Dune series, which I was re-reading when I wrote this. The Furey bloodname obviously shows the connection to his clan, as well as symbolizing his self-destructive rage at the beginning of the story.

Moros
Another name drawn from Greek mythology, meaning “the being of impending doom, who drives mortals to their deadly fate.”

Oriax
One of the 72 demons listed in the “Lesser Key of Solomon”, a 17th century book on demonology. His real name (Spoilers!), Stephan Osis, is a reflection of his madness—a reference to BattleTech loonie-toonie numero uno, el moustachio twirler supremo, Stephan Amaris.

Showers, Morton
Morton shortens to “Mort”, i.e. Death, meant to be an early tip-off this guy is not exactly on the side of angels. The Showers name provides an instant and easy recognition that he’s also part of the Smoke Jaguar clan.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #109 on: 27 May 2018, 19:24:26 »
Diablo_g you have done it again great story. :beer:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #110 on: 27 May 2018, 20:20:11 »
Bravo.  Loved it.  :thumbsup:

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
« Reply #111 on: 27 May 2018, 20:35:18 »
awesome bud.  Loved it.  Hope you do another.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #112 on: 27 May 2018, 22:20:16 »
 :clap: :clap: :beer: :beer: :clap: :clap:
Well done

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #113 on: 27 May 2018, 22:27:11 »
Great story. I'd say you proved one more thing - if a Smoke Jag could be on the side of the angels, they'd really be as entertaining as Jason Bourne dialled up to 12.

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor above all, Except of Vengance
« Reply #114 on: 27 May 2018, 22:30:42 »
Excellent read. Thank you for this story.
While some fight with honor, Others win battles

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #115 on: 27 May 2018, 23:27:47 »
Wonderful, thanks!

Can you post a PDF of this?

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #116 on: 27 May 2018, 23:43:28 »
Diablo_g you have done it again great story. :beer:
Damn, now I have to change my user name. And thanks!

Many thanks also to Siden Pryde, Kasaga, DOC_Agren and OpacusVenatori for taking the time to both read & comment.

Hope you do another.
At the end of these, I always say I'm done writing fanfic, but I always come back in the end. Like you're all enabling a very odd and specific addiction of mine or something. Anyway, short answer: Maybe! If inspiration strikes.

Great story. I'd say you proved one more thing - if a Smoke Jag could be on the side of the angels, they'd really be as entertaining as Jason Bourne dialled up to 12.
But seriously, you and I have to head over to Offtopic right now and discuss Jason Bourne vs. John Wick.

Wonderful, thanks!
Can you post a PDF of this?
Got you covered, friendo.
The whole thing is available as a single post on my blog site: http://one-way-mirror.blogspot.jp/p/climb.html
That page has a Dropbox link to the PDF at the very bottom.

zephir

• Recruit
« Reply #117 on: 28 May 2018, 03:23:54 »
Artemev, Phoebe
The name Artemev is an Easter Egg for readers willing to do a bit of research. I’ll say no more.
  • Physicist?
  • Gymnast?
  • Researcher on USSR politics?

Has anyone found something?

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #118 on: 28 May 2018, 04:39:32 »
But seriously, you and I have to head over to Offtopic right now and discuss Jason Bourne vs. John Wick.
Wait for me to watch John Wick first then.

'm not usually a fan of these 1-man-unstoppable-rampage type action flicks.

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #119 on: 28 May 2018, 08:41:40 »

Got you covered, friendo.
The whole thing is available as a single post on my blog site: http://one-way-mirror.blogspot.jp/p/climb.html
That page has a Dropbox link to the PDF at the very bottom.

You rock!  I love to have these for the quiet times between good stories.

Register