Author Topic: What's better in a fight?  (Read 1986 times)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
What's better in a fight?
« on: 27 May 2018, 20:24:53 »
I'm designing another random unit, that may or may not be used in a game...

Which would you prefer, a Lion-C or Mercer? Discus please?

Both carry a Binary, Lion has that Star of Tanks +2...

A Carrier will be assigned to this unit to transport minimum aero- superiority.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Vition2

• Lieutenant
Re: What's better in a fight?
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2018, 21:05:58 »
From a character's in-universe perspective (and prior to the Wars of Reaving), the Mercer beats the Lion in pretty much every category.  It has more armor, more weapons, faster thrust - the smaller carrying capacity is something that would be looked at in a bid meaning that a larger complement of ground forces aren't necessary.

From a player's perspective, I'd go with the Lion-C.  It provides a more diverse array of combatants and has enough room for it to be modified to carry more (also, the Lion-C carries a binary of 'mechs and a pbi binary).  IGNORE THE FOLLOWING IF YOU DON'T WANT TO MOD I would seriously consider turning the binary into a Supernova Trinary with the fifth point of each star being an aerospace binary, this decreases the overall cargo capacity of the Lion-C by about 1300 tons, still leaving about 1400, more than 2.5 times that of the Mercer.  This provides you with a force of 12 'mechs, 6 ASF, and 15 points of elementals, pretty balanced as far as I am concerned - and if you want some vehicles, 'downgrade' the 4th point of each star into a point of vehicles, this would decrease your overall cargo capacity by 150 tons (to about 1250) if you use only large vehicular bays, or less if you use some small ones (this version nets you 9 'mechs, 6 ASF, 6 Vehicles, 15 points of BA).

Scrollreader

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2018, 23:07:36 »
For whatever (fluff) reason, the clans could never get a BA bay to work on the Lion. 

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2018, 23:38:27 »
For whatever (fluff) reason, the clans could never get a BA bay to work on the Lion.

Meh, it says they tried to expand the troop quarters from the vehicle crew bays.  My suggestions both cause dramatically more changes than that, so could be possible - vehicle bays turn into aerospace fighter bays, the BA is completely rejiggered cargo space.  Basically, they didn't try hard enough.  ;)

Scrollreader

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2018, 09:11:55 »
Standard Answers apply, ofc.  If I was GMing it, I would probably be cool with adding BA bays for maintenance purposes, but you wouldn't get to deploy them any quicker than if they were cargo.  If we get the golden century TRO I'm hoping for a Nova dropship.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2018, 20:02:22 »
Well the thing is I want to include both... but then some of my players would want the Mercer because of the speedier difference and more weapons and then others would cry foul because they wouldn't be able to deploy fast enough, even though they have a larger ground force. Still haven't decided on Infantry or not... ( BA not PBI ). And I still want a Carrier to run CAP.

Trying to get a 3099 clan force to meet some spheroids. Limiting a Odyssey to this operation, so collars are maxed.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016