Author Topic: This Was Easier on the Tabletop - a Battletech SI Fic  (Read 173427 times)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: This Was Easier on the Tabletop - a Battletech SI Fic
« Reply #870 on: 26 July 2023, 15:12:50 »
  Another good story is “Welcome to the Jungle” from Speaker4thesilent. It is on Sietch<spelling>. He moved it from SB because they did not like his world building using space- feudalism.

Or, perhaps more accurately, his political and religious soap-boxing, which would undoubtedly keep it from this site as well, for violating local rules, too, followed by follow-up behavior towards the mod actions.  But this probably isn't the thread to discuss that further.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #871 on: 26 July 2023, 18:17:12 »
Another excellent option is Drakensis' "Davion and Davion (Deceased)"...  I re-read that one periodically now that I have it downloaded as a pdf... :)

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #872 on: 26 July 2023, 22:08:56 »
Or the Cameron Legacy- Kurita & Kerensky
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

FedRatCowboy

• Master Sergeant
  • Loyal Knight of House Davion.
« Reply #873 on: 27 July 2023, 00:49:17 »
Read both of those and they are awesome works.
"War is Hell. Combat is a mother ******."  --General Tommy Franks, US Army

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #874 on: 27 July 2023, 12:15:39 »
Basically anything by Drakensis is an automatic recommendation.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #875 on: 27 July 2023, 20:38:12 »
True that! :)

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #876 on: 28 July 2023, 23:07:38 »
Basically anything by Drakensis is an automatic recommendation.
State of the union had a rather abrupt change in story type at the end of book one. Went from manic-pixie-dreamgirl buddy teamup to a clanstomp fic in a way that was rather jarring.

wolfgar

• Captain
  • Wolfson's Heavy Raiders: 3058-3092
« Reply #877 on: 03 August 2023, 20:56:14 »
alright, i just finished binging this on SB and have thoroughly enjoyed it, typos and all. Can't wait for more of it
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
Book 2 - Chapter II
« Reply #878 on: 27 December 2023, 05:45:23 »
Sooooooo

Been a while, lets dig out the Star League cache and put this back to work again, shall we?

---

Book 2 Chapter 2: Northwind II

After Myndo had gone off to join with the VIPs inside the castle, I had managed to centre myself back to a more or less calm state.

Eventually.

It would have been helpful if I could go into a bathroom to try and remove the sweat under my uniform. Or even just sit down and try to flush the adrenaline that had flooded into my body and was still giving me the shakes...but at the same time, I knew it was critical to not seem like I had been rattled. Just in case she was keeping an eye on me.

Not that there was any question mind you, that I
was rattled as hell.

I had not gotten myself mentally and physically ready for tonight thinking I'd turn around and find myself face to face with
The Devil. And I was already dreading the contact report I was going to have to write about this evening once the shindig was over.

Still, the fifteen minutes or so it took for the crowd outside to shuffle inside after the guests of honour and take their seats gave me time to pull myself together and snap out of it, warily glancing around in case that woman had tried to sneak up on me again. Happily, I saw quickly that she was sitting down at the High table that ran across the front of the room - given her rank, there really wasn't anywhere else she could be seated. Where I was sitting in the middle of three tables that ran down the long part of the room - and about halfway down it to boot.

So at least I wouldn't have to make polite dinner conversation with her. Thank
God for that.

But I
did get to make polite dinner conversation with the most … fascinating … group of people …

Which also meant I was at ground zero when they decided to share that fascination with the rest of the party…

Tara didn't host permanent official ambassadors from any other powers. After all, Northwind wasn't a Great House capital or regional sub-capital worthy of such attention.

But for centuries before, during and after the Star League, Northwind had been something of a major trading route crossroads - and still served as a hub for a lot of cross-border activity. So, naturally, there was always a need to facilitate intra-house contacts even if just for the official - and often grey-market - business that carried on even through the long drawn out 3rd Succession War. And as lower level members of the aristocracy were often on the ground dealing with such business, they were turned to as a matter of course to serve as sort of de-facto Ambassadors from their rulers court to the local Government as-needed.

Now, this was no formal assignment. They didn't hold diplomatic immunity, royal warrants or anything like that. But, at formal events like this, they were invited along and accorded significant respect. Considered something of an indirect channel back into their rulers Courts at the very least - and were often commissioned by their rulers to take point on this or that specific issue after a HPG back and forth. And for some reason, I had been placed this evening with these people. Who all seemed pretty chill and mostly just delighted that they happened to be in the right place at the right time to get an invite to this shindig.

With one exception however.

One of these people however was different from that crowd. He was an honest-to-god ambassador from a foreign power; extraordinary and plenipotentiary with the credentials to prove it.

I knew this fact because I had seen him on the guest list the day before … and to my genuine surprise when I sat down, I had found myself sitting next to him, when by all protocol he should have been up on the High Table with the most VIP of VIPs.

I had initially suspected the placement may have been some kind of insult to the man and nation he represented. Putting him down here with the non-accredited diplomats and all that. However, he had clarified (to my delicately phrased questions along that line) that he had in fact requested to sit down here with the other 'Ambassadors' to keep a somewhat lower profile than one might expect. And the Lady Steiner had gracefully acquiesced - and put me in the seat right next to him.

Initially I had added it to the (lengthening) list of things I was going to have to talk to Melissa about. But in hindsight, I had to admit that perhaps I actually owed her one by putting me next to a man who had gotten my undivided attention.

Because The Ambassador in question wasn't from the Inner Sphere.

He was the Emir (or Duke) of Guldra. The head of House Madeira; Lord Alexander Madeira of the Arano Coalition, representative extraordinary and plenipotentiary of the Lady Kamea Arano, 'High Lady and Countess of Coromodir'.

Bit of a mouthful, but all the more interesting to me - because he should not exist!

The Arano Coalition was a small Periphery state that had only been planned to be introduced into the Battletech universe around the time I had been sucked into this reality. In an upcoming video game, one produced by Jordan Wiseman himself with the backing of Catalyst … but it had still seemed highly unlikely to be made canon. Especially given the problems of integrating it into the future timelines without enormous numbers of retcons given its location.

And yet? Here sat the very Ambassador to the Aurigan Coalition. On invitation from Melissa Steiner no less.

The metaphysical implications alone were strongly suggesting that I should reach for the wine.

On the other hand, I was still shaken enough from my earlier encounter with The Devil that I wasn't that tempted to get on the booze. More than a little afraid of the possibility of another encounter with the Honourable Precentor of Dieron where I would need my wits fully deployed and engaged.

So I just rolled with it and put bigger questions around 'me' to the side for now. And, if nothing else, his Excellency the Emir was a fine conversationalist and all too happy to chat about his nation - and on why he was here.

According to Alexander, he was on something of a mission of mercy. Specifically; he was on the way to the NAIS to get advanced medical treatment for some long term health issues inflicted upon him by a rather disagreeable woman named Victoria Espinosa, along with another two hundred former prisoners from a hellhole named the 'Icebox' on a planet named Weldry, all consequences of the short but surprisingly brutal little civil war the region had undergone a few years back. All the people chosen had medical issues that needed the kind of advanced reconstruction and rehabilitation support that could only be found at a couple of places in the Inner Sphere. And out of the goddess of his heart, Hanse Davion was throwing open the doors of the NAIS to them to provide said help to the poor people of the Periphery.

He said all of this with a perfect straight face … but I called bullshit on that story.

Well, silently in my head anyway.

It would have been terribly impolite and undiplomatic to do so to his face.

His story didn't make sense. For one thing, despite the recent attack, NAIS still had huge security and access controls in place. You didn't just invite foreign people in like it was hosting a garden party. And even putting security aside for the wounded; there were hard capacity limits that were already under a lot of strain. The College of Medical Sciences (and the dozen affiliate hospitals spread through the Golden Five where most wounded 'sent to the NAIS' actually ended up at for treatment) were being pushed to the limit thanks to the ongoing war with AFFS and LCAF casualties.
But even if I might have believed that cover story, the second half of it had me fighting to keep a straight face. Because according to Alexander, no less than a hundred medical personnel were coming with the patients. Personnel who were going to be retrained by the NAIS and reequipped to be able to open a new hospital on Coromodir itself, whose construction was to be financed by House Steiner. A hospital that would eventually be able to beat anything in the Periphery - even rival anything on Canopus IV - when fully operational.

Now, the man clearly had no reason to lie to me … but that led to the obvious question. If Hanse and Katrina really were going to this much effort … why were they doing so?

Obvious answer; the Augrians had something they wanted. Wanted rather badly.

But what could that be? I wondered silently in the back of my head. Cursing the fact that I had missed that new video game and whatever story it had told as I suspected that the answer would have been somewhere there. I had pointed the powers that be towards this region after realising its existence after all - and clearly they had put it under a microscope for the logical reason that something that I said shouldn't actually be present but was present was probably worth a fresh look … and I supposed they must have found … something?

Someone?

Some place?

What could this little microstate on the rim have to offer the FedCom that was so damn valuable that Hanse was willing to open up the NAIS and Katrina her chequebook like this?

"...so even with the civil war ended, our position has become, shall we say, precariously balanced" the Emir continued in between clearly savouring the soup course, dragging my attention back. "Recovery has been steady, but slow. So much we had built up under Lady Aranos father was lost to her uncle's greed. And so the strategic situation has become, vexingly, both more and less certain."

I considered that and nodded as I also finished off the truly excellent - but far too small - soup serving before carefully pushing the plate forward to the 'I am done, you may clear it' position for the swarms of servants moving through the room, before turning to more fully face Alexander, rubbing my chin a little in consideration.

"Well it sounds like the Bulls certainly got egg all over their face by backing Santiago Espinosa and his 'Directorate'" I suggested, reflecting on his words and comparing them to the few reports I had gotten from the intelligence desk back in the 'Den about their little civil war. A civil war the DMI analyst who had gotten the reports for me had scornfully labelled 'A Support-Vee War' over the fact that both sides had only a handful of serious Battlemech or heavy armour forces, with most of the engagements coming down to light vehicles or what amounted to 31st century fleets of technicals and infantry blobs.

Apparently this kind of war was depressingly common in the Periphery and quite often barely even noticed in the Inner Sphere.

"It might make them less inclined to stick their noses into the business of the Coalition after they made such fools of themselves."

Alexander shrugged in a way that suggested he found this unlikely.

"Certainly, the Perdition Massacre was something of a humiliation for them - especially given how easily they fell for a false flag" Alexander acknowledged. "And it didn't help that the task force from the Taurian Lancers sent to support Espinosa and get a quick and decisive victory proceeded to go rogue when ordered to withdraw after the truth was exposed. Going rogue in nominal support of a man who had killed ten thousand Taurians and framed the Federated Suns for the act no less, committing war crimes right up until the end. They could disavow him all they wished, but the reputation of the Concordant has suffered greatly through the Reach - and not just in the Coalition I might say."

We paused as a number of servants now arrived and in a whirlwind of activity removed our finished soup courses. I took the moment to glance carefully down the table … before relaxing as I saw that the Taurian 'ambasador' four seats down seemed far too engrossed in chatting with some rather hot young woman next to him to be trying to listen to our conversation.

"However" the Emir continued after the servants had finished their work, the Bulls getting so much egg on their face has, unfortunately, been by far the biggest and most aggravating problem for the Coalition post conflict."

"Oh?" I asked curiously. Glancing again at the Tarurian juuuuuust to make sure - yup, he was definitely far too busy trying to glance down the very deep emerald neckline of the woman's dress opposite him (while working to look like he wasn't) to be paying attention to us.
Even so, I lowered my volume and leaned in a little closer to the Emir as he started to explain, toying with one of his forks absently.

"Our strategic position, as I hope you understand, has historically been the result of a somewhat delicate balance between the Concordant and Confederation" he explained with a slight shrug. "And with the Confederation at the very least having to focus all its energy against the Federated Suns - and indeed, possibly in the very twilight of its existence? Well, suffice to say that the balance of power in the region has shifted quite substantially since your Prince married tonight's guest of honour" he added, nodding in the general direction of Melissa and the High Table.

I acknowledged his point with a slight tilt of my own head, picking up my water and absently sipping on it as I processed that observation, thinking back on the research I had done on this region after discovering the changes that day back on Tharkad. Certainly the Confederation and Concordat had claimed many of the systems that now looked to House Arano, with both sides more or less mutually washing their hands of the region in the 2890s out of an inability to force the issue in their favour - albeit for different reasons.
And out of that vacuum, House Arano had gathered a score of worlds together into a new microstate that had proven surprisingly viable, probably to the great chagrin of the people who had walked away and still thought of those worlds as their own…

"And now the Federated Suns is ripping up the CCAF, keeping them out of the picture, with the Bulls - for once - probably halfway confident the AFFS isn't going to come storming across the border either - while your military has been very badly damaged" I muttered, thinking it through before frowning. "But they wouldn't be looking to outright invade would they?"

"Well, that is the question. We have some … friends … on Canopus who have passed on intelligence that an invasion - although I'm sure they would call it a liberation - of several worlds is being discussed at the very highest levels around the Protector'' he continued in a more sotto voce and I kept my expression even, sipping again from my glass of water as I listened very carefully, feeling he was watching me for a reaction.

Clearly the man knew - or at least strongly suspected - that I was in the inner circle with the powers that be and had some influence with them.
But I had no intention of giving anything more away tonight so I simply waited politely until he continued.

"The word we are getting" he continued after a slightly long moment where I said nothing, "is that there have been a significant number of reshuffles in the Ministries of Trade and Defence. And proving perhaps that the universe has a rather twisted sense of irony, it would seem that the people who were in favour of working with the Coalition were largely behind the backing of Espinosa by the Concordat. And the egg, as you put it, has been arranged to be neatly splashed mostly on their faces."

I winced a little at that.

So. The groups who had been pushing to ally with the Augrians over the years had managed to make it happen - by backing the wrong faction.
And as a consequence of how badly that had gone, they had been left holding the bag - and taking the blame. And by extension, had been eliminated from contention in favour of those who had always wanted to reclaim 'their' lost clay with sword and fire.

I mean. The Bulls now seemingly being ready to turn on the Augrians after they had backed the wrong faction and outright committed war crimes seemed morally abhorrent … but the Periphery really wasn't a place where nice people tended to finish first on the sheer power of a moral victory.
Of course, the Inner Sphere often wasn't any better when you really got down to it, if I was being honest with myself. And irrespective of it wasn't a very nice thing to do, if the Bulls saw that this was a once-in-a-century chance to redraw the maps in their favour …

"So the Bulls are measuring the odds of moving before the Inner Sphere is able to care too much about this region again" I muttered before a thought occurred. "But if so" I added, raising an eyebrow, "wouldn't engaging with the Federated Commonwealth publicly like this only entice them to strike as soon as-"

To my slight annoyance, there was a clear 'Ding-Ding-Ding!' from the front of the room as Duke Stuart stood and in that ancient tradition, tapped cutlery against his glass, the sound carrying remarkably well across the room and quickly silencing conversation as if a switch had been thrown - including my own. And whatever Alexander was going to say in exchange was lost as he twisted around in his chair to face the front of the room with everyone else as the Duke went through his -rather jovial- introductions, getting a lot of cheers and laughs from the crowd with surprising self-effacing humour.

I didn't really pay much attention to it though, my mind being focused much more on the information I had just been given and trying to figure out what it meant.

Katrina was hardly going to be paying for a top level hospital in the Periphery rather than her own realm - not even she had unlimited resources. And Hanse allowing access to the NAIS to train staff for it made little sense if the Bulls were likely to take the region for themselves. And while opening diplomatic relations like this was all well and good on paper, the thought of the Federated Suns gaining a flank ally against them really sounded like it was going to just encourage the Taurians to send in the Taurian Guards first thing in the morning to seize Coromodir.

But. If even I could see it, Hanse and Katrina couldn't possibly have missed that. Which had to mean they already had plans in place - assuming they were looking to keep this little micro-state in play and make the Bulls think twice…probably.

But, I suppose that if I have a need to know, I'd be told at some point I mentally shrugged as I pushed the thoughts away in favour of joining the very loud applause as the Duke sat and Melissa stood in his place, beaming out to the audience. Drawing my attention back to the kid as the spotlight literally - and figuratively - fell on her as the hall went silent in anticipation…
"I, the Baron of Strang, care not for your new names. Clans? Jade Falcons? I call you by your true name: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will, persecutors of the Periphery come back to lord it over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans!"

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #879 on: 27 December 2023, 05:47:52 »

Couldn't do it my ****** ass.

She didn't even
need the damn speech on paper in front of her! She did it entirely from memory, the freak!

Entirely in line with my expectations, Melsisa had nailed it. Nailed it to such a degree in fact that she had earned an immediate and extended standing ovation when she finished with leading the crowd in an exuberant toast to Northwind, the Federated Suns and the Federated Commonwealth.
And not just a polite 'we are expected to stand and clap' round of applause, but a genuinely enthusiastic one filled with a lot of very loud cheering and looks of delight and awe on everyone's faces in the room as they saw the young woman in front of them become something … great.

This went on for quite some time.

Even Myndo Waterly managed a sort of benign neutral smile on her face from her position on the far edge of the High Table as she stood (only, I'm sure, because otherwise she would have been the only person in the room refusing to get to her feet) and politely applauded (for as short a time as she could get away with). Her eyes however beyond the smile were focused intently on Melissa in a way that probably would have had me putting a laser bolt through her forehead if I had been allowed to bring my sidearm with me to dinner.
Clearly, she had realised just how good Melissa was as a politician - and that she was going to be a huge asset to the Federated Commonwealth. And conversely, a major threat to ComStar and its - well at least her - plans for the Inner Sphere.

That would be a problem - especially given the women's tendency like a poker machine addict to try and double down on big flashy moves, hoping for a big jackpot to get herself out of the hole she had dug herself into. And I had a very bad feeling she was in a bit of a political hole right now, here because she was looking for just one big jackpot to get her out of it…

But that was also happily a problem for other people suited to fighting that particular war.

Dinner resumed at that point - and I now lost the opportunity to interrogate Lord Madeira any further. After the speech by some unwritten rule there had been a bit of a run for the local bathrooms followed at the lower table by a bewildering and random shuffling of many seats I had not seen coming - Lord Madeira among them, shifting a few seats down and onto the other side of the table. At a bit of a loss for the protocol here, I held my position (as many other people also did) with a bit of a nod to my new neighbour but with no time for more than that as the main course was served. A quartet of women - with quite stunning voices - then got to work, performing a number of songs. Supposedly from Ancient Scotland with what sounded like celtic harmonies and a subtle backing band somewhere that drove all conversation from the great hall as we all ate and just enjoyed their performance.

At least it gave me time to think.

Why were Hanse and Katrina being so accommodating of the Augrians? They both had far bigger fish to fry. It was genuinely disappointing that the Taurians were being giant dicks, but I was at a loss for why the First Prince and Archon were so determined to get involved when we were already fighting a massive war on two fronts.

And for that matter, why had Melissa put me here to chat with Ambassador Madeira exactly? Was it some kind of test? Or did she need something from me?

Life would be so much easier if people actually let me in on what they expected from me.

Anyway, my line of thought was terminated however as the final song by the band was finished and after a round of applause, the hoard of servants reemerged to start collecting the main course plates, causing conversation to pick right back up.

And almost immediately, my new neighbour on my left turned to face me, a broad smile on his face that put me right on guard.

"So. Mister John Smith" he said with a grin, the man looking slightly ridiculous in my opinion for the fact that he was wearing a cape to dinner and had sat down with it still on, flung over the back of his chair. "At last, a chance to talk with the hero of the hour!"

"Indeed" another voice cut right in and I switched my gaze to the seat on the other side of the table from my neighbour, to take in the man across from him in a garish purple and white suit, smiling across at me too - albeit with something about his eyes that put me on guard. "The hero of Helm unless I'm mistaken?"

Thankfully after Myndo Waterly had thrown Helm in my face earlier in the night and nearly given me a heart attack, I actually felt surprisingly relaxed about someone else throwing it at me like this.
Probably because if ComStar knew I had been there, honestly, it really couldn't make much difference if anyone else did, could it?
With that said, as my Contact Report to the powers that be about all these events was getting longer with every one of the seven courses of the meal that was being served, I'd probably be grumpy as ****** about it all later tonight.

And the way that conversation around me stilled and a lot of heads turned my way probably wasn't a good thing either.

"I'm sorry Sir, I'm afraid you have me at a disadvantage?" I responded politely, picking up a glass of water to take a sip - a slow sip, perking up a little as down the table I saw servants moving in to deploy what looked suspiciously like coffee and cake to the table.

"Of course, my apologies" the more distant man smirked a little at me - like a used car salesman finding a mark I thought dryly. "I am Baron Matthew Slovan, CEO of 'Inner Circle Shipping of Stewart'" he said, giving a small sort of flourish-come-wave that I think was the table-manners equivalent of a shallow bow while you were sitting down. "And we have heard of you on Stewart - the Hero of Helm indeed, in the flesh."

"And I am his honourable competitor of course" the man next to me cut in suddenly, to a clear - if brief - flash of annoyance in the eyes of Baron Slovan. "Baron Domanic Lamberti of Sirius Import/Export Ltd at your service '' he announced, offering a nod that was almost a shallow bow in my direction. "And I must say that it is certainly an unexpected honour to have the latest hero of the Federated Suns here to talk with!"

"I believe you are referring to Ardan Sortek - or Patrick Kell if you are looking for the Heroes of Helm" I corrected the others carefully, but politely, even as I felt my heart sink as I suddenly realised who these two were and wondering if there was any chance of avoiding what I thought was about to happen, suddenly having a moment of empathy for a net in a tennis match at Wimbledon…

"And yet you sit here and come to this world in a party with Melissa Steiner herself" Slovan pressed slyly. "A mere - if you will of course forgive the word mere- Lieutenant in the AFFS rubbing shoulders with the nobility and on the Archon Designates personal staff? Surely there must be a reason - and much done on Helm to earn you such a prestigious place?"

Okay. This man had clearly just added two plus two and got Pi I thought, feeling a little of the tension unclench here as I tried to think of a diplomatic way to correct him-

Thankfully that job was taken from me.

Less thankfully, it was by his peer on the other side of the table.

A burst of derisive laughter interjected and the attention of those around me (who were clearly paying complete attention but trying to pretend they were not) shifted back with me now to Baron Lamberti.

"My dear Matthew", Lamberti drawled while absently circling a wine glass with one hand and looking down into its contents in an overly aloof way for a moment before spearing the other with a glance. "Surely even your master hasn't missed the recent events on New Avalon? Lieutenant Smith over here" he inclined his head towards me without breaking eye contact with Baron Slovan, "single handedly saved Prince Davion himself from certain death at the hands of Yorinaga Kurita - and then killed Yorinaga Kurita. Again, single handedly!"

Fifteen - Love, Lamberti.

"Hardly single handedly" I cut back into the conversation, trying very hard to short circuit these two going at it - and also trying to ignore the considerable number of double takes I had gotten from everyone in hearing distance at that revelation as more and more people's attention was drawn in.

And the last thing Melissa needed tonight was these two going at it, so…

"Prince Davion was doing a rather splendid job of ripping the Tai-sa's 'Mech to pieces when Yoreringa's Son, Akira, intervened and shot The Prince in the back'' I instead continued my story, hoping to distract them with the tale - and certainly the people around were listening to me rather raptly. "If not for that, the odds were excellent that their duel would have ended with a Battlemaster' fist in Yorinaga's cockpit. Plus I had a number of cadets keeping Akira distracted as I moved to engage his father or else I wouldn't have been able to really do much of anything."

"Fair enough" he held up one hand idly in surrender on that point. "But" he then added, lowering said hand into a finger pointed squarely at me, "as I understand it, it was you alone who scored the first direct weapons hits on his Battlemech yes? And then you eliminated him by crashing your Mech into his and self-destructing?" the Baron pressed, lifting his wine glass to take a sniff of it - all without looking away from me.

I fought back a sigh.

"You are correct, more or less," I finally admitted, getting a flurry of interested whispers from the peanut gallery as the servants started to sweep through, depositing what looked like a half dozen tiny square cakes - and coffee cups along with coffee pots that I quickly went for, pouring myself a generous cup. "Although it wasn't quite as dramatic as I'm sure the Holovid will make it out to be either. My weapons were disabled. My arms were sheared off or disabled and I didn't really have any other cards to play. Kurita had managed to overheat himself firing at me and had a crippled foot joint thanks to Prince Davion, so he couldn't either shoot me with his heavy guns or evade. So I just rammed him, hit the self-destruct and punched out."

"Yes. Punched out of a Helm recovered SLDF Royal Command Battlemech as I understand?" he added with a gleam in his that screamed to me 'you didn't ****** get that for nothing, who exactly are you?'
He paused for a moment at that to take a sip of his wine and let a silence hold over the crowd for a moment before sighing in appreciation for the vintage, putting the empty glass down.
"Still. Modest and talented Lieutenant Smith; a combination I must admit I would never be if I had accomplished even half of what you have" Baron Lamberti suggested, with a glance around the table that earned him some chuckles and smiles. "Your loyalty to your Prince does you enormous credit."

"Indeed it does" Baron Slovan re-entered the conversation with a nod at me, my eyes flicking back across the table to where he had been watching with barely hidden irritation, I thought, directed squarely at Lamberti. "Loyalty to one's superiors is the entire foundation of our societies after all, bound by oaths and deads. Such loyalty should - indeed, must be- rewarded, as I see now the good Price and perhaps even the Archon have seen fit to do. As much, of course, as exceptional disloyalty to our rulers should be punished."

At that, there was a kind of ripple through this part of the room I think best described as 'Oh you did not just go there did you?' - and I froze with the first piece of cake halfway to my mouth, slowly returning it to the plate as my attempt to keep these two from going at it started to collapse into a pit.

Please don't go there, please don't go there, please don't-

"True words. And equally truly, the greatest of judgements should be made upon those rulers and the friends they choose to … ally with" Baron Lamberti smoothly riposted and I mentally facepalmed as the two men locked gazes with the most plastic smiles on each others faces that made me immediately glad that swords were checked at the door. While wondering idly if the hormones were getting to Melissa after all, given that she had invited Matter and Antimatter to sit right next to each other, with only the smallest jolt needed to get them to touch…
"I, the Baron of Strang, care not for your new names. Clans? Jade Falcons? I call you by your true name: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will, persecutors of the Periphery come back to lord it over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans!"

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #880 on: 27 December 2023, 05:48:44 »
Happily at that exact moment, one of the castles servants - a more senior one and not part of the army working on the food I think - suddenly materialised behind me and stepped up to Baron Lamberti's shoulder, leaning down to softly mutter something in his ear and hand him a … note?
I wasn't sure what this was about, but the interjection broke the moment and the tension in the area started to fade away as people turned away . I slowly exhaled in relief, feeling that I had just dodged a very close bullet as Baron Slovan turned to make conversation with the woman next to him, taking a sip of the coffee - and finding it astonishingly strong almost to the point of being too bitter to drink, but appreciating the caffeine I figured it was loaded with as I tried to focus my thoughts and figure out what in the ****** Melissa had been thinking inviting both of these people to tonight - and seating them right next to each other!

Baron Matthew Slovan, the head of 'Inner Circle Shipping Co' and Baron Domanic Lamberti of Sirius Import/Export Ltd were the Free Worlds Leagues 'ambassadors' to this little party and two of the major import/export agents into the Suns/FWL grey markets. And I used the plural for their position because while both were landed Barons, it just so happened that the former was a landed baron sworn indirectly to the Duke of Regulus, a close ally of Captain General Janos Marik … and the later was a Baron directly sworn to Duke Garth Marik of Irian.

Politics in the Free Worlds League had gotten a lot more complicated than it used to be thanks to my impact on events over the last few years - and that was saying something. The snowball had started after the looting of the Helm cache years before those events had played out in the original timeline. A timeline in which Duke Garth Marik would have been used as a patsy by ComStar to try and open the Helm cache. All so ComStar could seize and secure 'for the good of all mankind' (or just covertly eliminate if necessary) the data core inside. While Marik himself had been promised by Precentor Emilio Rachan all the SLDF gear inside in payment for his own use.

Read; gear that would have made Garth's dream to overthrow the Captain General shift from a vague ambition to a terrifyingly realistic prospect.

In the original timeline, those wonderful Mercs in the Grey Death Legion (who at last report I was delighted to see were beating the shit out of the Amphigean Light Assault on Marduk) had exposed both plans. With ComStar disavowing Rachan as a crazy rogue actor (as the man had killed 17 Million people to make his run at the cache there really wasn't anything else the Primus could have done of course) while Duncan Marik had wasted very little time in having the Duke of Irian put up against a wall and shot for High Treason.
But in THIS timeline, despite Hanse and Katrina all but pointing the finger at Garth as the FWL figure partially responsible for the FedCom getting their hands on the cache (and even going so far as to strongly hint it was indeed because Garth had eyes on Janos Marik's seat) … SAFE had been unable to find hard proof.
Apparently, they had found the intelligence equivalent of many many piles of used shell casings all over the place that screamed he must have been plotting Treason, as it were … but not the smoking gun, or, close confidants willing to flip that they needed to actually try him in a court of law and find him guilty. Something that needed to be absolutely ironclad in the Free Worlds League given how touchy worlds and provinces were about Federal Overreach, no matter how much treason (given, you know, Anton) grinded the Captain Generals gears.

Still, clearly knowing he was on the Captain Generals 'shit list' even if nothing could be proved (yet) in a Court, Garth had rather adroitly pivoted in Court to gain a broad base of political support and allies to protect himself and build a new powerbase in the FWL Game of Thrones. Reinventing himself of all things as the head of a 'loyal' opposition to the Captain General's current foreign policy plans. The head of an 'anti Capellan Confederation' block of the FWL that (understandably) felt pissed at Janos for allying himself with the man who had backed his brother's civil war and thrown more than a couple of nominally FWL worlds under the bus for his Concord alliance.
That faction had been a non player in the original timeline - and I could see why even without MIIO reports on the matter and just public media. It wasn't simply that on balance the League hated the Lyrans more (which was true, but not to the degree I had actually thought it was), but more because the Humphries, who had been that block's nominal leaders, simply kept pissing off everyone around them. With their attempts at 'leadership' the kind that would have caused Stannis Baratheon to quietly tell them they needed to be a little more flexible and less 'My Way or the Highway!' Especially given that Janos at times seemed to channel Tywin Lannister for his ability to hold grudges.

But the end result had been that Garth had been able to (somehow) convince Catherine Humphries to pass the nominal leadership torch to him - and that had been a masterstroke. As a Marik, his name had a power and authority that no other house could match and his new power block had solidified in the time between Helm and the Wedding of the Century thanks to some very deft political manoeuvring, back door deals, handshaking and (so MIIO suspected) possibly an infusion of bribes in the right places. Janos was being forced to expend significant amounts of political capital internally just to hold his political position as tensions rose between Atreus and other provinces and worlds…

All of which of course served the Federated Commonwealth powers far better than the original timelines astroturfed instability to keep the FWL busy. And all without Hanse or Katrina having to lift a finger!

The tension had unsurprisingly spiked when the 4th Succession War had kicked off. Intense arguments in the FWL Parlement, the public sphere and the aristocracy about what exactly the FWL should do had raged through 3028. Garth's faction had (in my opinion) taken the very reasonable position of 'get in on the fun and crush the Confederation once and for all!' but while they were a very strong voice, other provinces and worlds had been far less receptive to the idea for this or that reason. The biggest issue being Lyran antipathy along their shared border having (much fewer but loud) voices saying it was the time to honour the Concord and strike the Lyrans while they were busy with the Combine…

…and then the news about 'Doppelganger' arrived. Followed a couple of days later during the first debates on this new information by some member of Parliament speculating aloud that, for all they knew, Anton Marik had been the Mark I version of Doppelganger. Launched by Maximilian Liao against the FWL.

And that accusation had gone viral across the FWL in a way that had taken me completely off guard.

Because, well …

It was pure bullshit!

I mean, there hadn't been anything that even hinted at the possibility in the Battletech sources I'd read. Not in the books that discussed Antons revolt or his point of view. Not even the Interstellar Conspiracies books which had loved to throw out every wild theory as 'rumours' in-universe.

And yet, despite knowing all of that. Even knowing the truth in a way no-one else in this universe did …

Well, I even wanted to believe the theory, no matter how much it made me feel like Agent Mulder at times!

After all, the whys of Antons rebellion had never been conclusively answered, at least not in the public sphere - or even really in much of the nobility's eyes.

Why had he tried to violently usurp his brother in the first place as opposed to trying to move against him in parliament or just simply waiting for Janos to dig himself deeper into the hole he was making of his reign? Why did he make his move when he was clearly lacking the kind of popular and military support he needed for either a quick or sustained win meaning he was likely to simply churn the FWL into an extended civil war?

Why had he only launched his campaign after getting support from Maximilian Liao of all people, a decision that had put a large part of the FWL offside as they saw him (correctly) as just a Liao puppet?

Why had he made so many counterproductive moves, such as his crazy decision to take Wolf's Dragoons dependents hostage and then execute them? A tactic being pointed to now more than ever as almost Liao in both the ruthlessness … and abject counterproductive stupidity?

And why did he go to Terra to meet Maximilian - and come back 'a changed man' as several of those closest to him had said of him at the time? Probably meaning that he was focused and driven or something, but words now latched onto with intense focus … even more so given that those who had made them had all died in Antons revolt and thus were not around to qualify them!

Simply put; Anton Marik being replaced with a Doppelganger by House Liao just made so much sense. All those unanswered questions fit into this theory neater than Cinderella's glass slipper. All of those who brought into the theory - or at least were willing to give it serious consideration when combined with those who for their own reasons simply did not want the FWL to sit out of the war and so found it expedient to claim that it was a valid question to ask?
'They' had now massed into a solid and steadily growing majority across the Free Worlds League. And the longer Janos dithered making a decision, the more people were listening to Garth's chosen proxies in Parliament as he accused the Captain General of failing in his theoretically singular responsibility of foreign affairs and protection of the FWLs interests-

And … why was Baron Lamberti now grinning and standing up?

Oh shit, what was in that note I could see him holding?
A note, now that I could see it clearly, had the expensive embossed ComStar logo on it, meaning it was a HPG message-

"MY LADY STEINER" he bellowed with genuinely impressive volume that sliced across the room to my complete shock, causing all conversation to slew to an abrupt halt as he stepped away from his seat into the gap between the rows of tables, all eyes in the room swivelling to him. "AND MY LORD DUKE STUART!" he added, his grin undiminished in a way that made it very clear he was very happy about … something.

"What the ****** is he doing" I helplessly muttered under my breath as I too twisted to watch this unexpected event, noting that Melissa and everyone else on the High Table was staring at him now.

"MY APOLOGIES FOR THE INTERRUPTION" he continued, without a microphone clearly needing to raise his voice quite a bit. "BUT I BRING GLORIOUS TIDINGS FROM THE FREE WORLDS LEAGUE."

"Indeed?" Duke Stuart replied in a voice dryer than the excellent white wine he had provided for his guests, his voice cutting clearly through the near silent murmuring of the crowd without any effort thanks to a concealed microphone near him. "And pray tell laddie, what news might that be, if you feel you must interrupt this fine meal we are all enjoying?"

There was a rumble of a sort of agreement in the crowd at that - but it was rather muted. Clearly the crowd was fascinated by this unexpected event that had not been on the evening's schedule.

Well mostly fascinated. At a hunch, I glanced briefly at Baron Slovan … and he looked like he was considering taking the Steak Knife in front of him and leaping across the table.
I glanced back at Lamberti and then … and upped my threat estimate of the man considerably as it finally hit me that his presence here and now at this dinner was not in any way down to chance.

It was by design.

But is that design his bosses I thought before shooting a glance at Melissa and studied her face intently for a moment, but saw nothing but a perfect expression of confused surprise there that told me nothing.

Or is it my boss playing games here?

"I BRING WORD FROM MY LORD, THE DUKE GARTH MARIK OF IRIAN AND FOR THOSE MOST LOYAL PATRIOTS WHO STAND WITH HIM ON THIS DAY!" he yelled as he continued to slowly stride down towards the front (watched like a hawk, I saw, by the guards discreetly placed around the room) as he held up that bit of paper high above him with a slow turn so the entire room could see it - and probably the large ComStar logo on the back of it too.
"MARK THIS DAY WELL! FOR ON THE 8TH OF APRIL 3029, THE SIRIAN LANCERS HAVE BEEN UNLEASHED TO RECLAIM THEIR STOLEN HOMEWORLD FROM THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION!"

There was a distinct intake of breath that could only be described as a collective gasp of shock at that claim. And after a second I realised I had been a part of the noise, my jaw hanging loosely as my head spun with the implications - but the man was not finished, not one bit.

"FURTHER!" he continued, "THE NOBLE 1ST, 2ND AND 4TH DEFENDERS OF ANDURIEN CROSSED THE BORDER TO COMMENCE THE LIBERATION OF BETELGEUSE!"

This time there was actually a smattering of applause through the vast room that the Baron modestly held up a hand in acknowledgement of, waiting for a moment for it to fade out.

"FURTHER!" Lombardi continued again, clearly relishing the maximum ham moment. "THE NOBLE 3RD AND 5TH DEFENDERS OF ANDURIEN HAVE STRIKE AT SIGMA MARE AND LATICE, LOOKING TO LIBERATE THOSE WORLDS TOO FROM THE GRIP OF MAXIMUMS LIAO!"

The applause was definitely much louder this time and once again the smiling Baron held up a hand as he swung his beaming gaze around the room that was clearly warming to this rather unexpected twist this evening.

"FURTHER! THE FOLLOWING LEAGUE WORLDS HAVE ALSO COMMITTED THE FOLLOWING FORCES INTO THE ATTACK…"

As I listed - in no small amount of stunned shock - with the increasing applause and cheering from the room rippling over me in a sort of distant-thunder way as my mind spun in circles at a very high RPM - as the Baron listed off another six separate Capellan Confederation worlds being attacked by a mixture of provincial forces and mercenary units.

Eight! That was eight key Capellan worlds under attack by the Free Worlds League!

EIGHT!

I felt a little faint for a moment from the sheer shock before shaking it off and starting to thi I quickly, realising that the units he was calling out did not include even one Federal unit or traditional Marik unit, which said without saying that this assault was not something the Captain General had ordered - and probably not even been informed of, let alone authorised.

And it all added up to an inescapable conclusion.

Garth Marik is forcing the Captain General's hand. Forcing it in a very big, very dangerous way.

The current Captain General of the Free Worlds League after all didn't just hold grudges … so much as order entire planets terraformed for him to grow the grudges in mass factory farms. An attitude earned from the fires of the civil war that had pitted him against members of his own family in a fight to the death - but even before that as Cranston Snord could attest, he tended towards making a list of everyone who has crossed him.

But on the other hand I suppose that when you were as deep on his shit list as Garth? Well, what else could you do but get a lot of other people to add themselves to it alongside you?

It sounded like save for Orente, every damn province and world of note along the Capellan border had thrown its units across it into the Confederation, a nation at least nominally still allied with the Free Worlds League.

And that left Janos in one hell of a political dilemma.

Trying to get the political support in Parliament to stop this was probably pointless and the Home Defence Act was still in full force, meaning the Provinces still had great leeway to use their own troops as they saw fit. Trying to order Federal Units in to try and grab Garth or his lackeys and arrest them would risk an outright mutiny in the FWLM or a Parliamentary revolt given that the provinces in question had all but bared their bellies to Janos. Daring him to try and move against them, while they attacked the Confederation.
And given that Max would probably be displeased at these events (to put it lightly, although probably only half as much as his youngest daughter would be), those Federal units needed to stay on station - or to be ready to redeploy - to meet any CCAF reprisals.

On the face of it? Janos had been perhaps left with only one choice and his supporters would probably understand that his hand had been forced here, but it was what it was and the only logical course was to go all-in, steal the glory and wrest political control of the war back.
On the other hand, Janos Marik had never struck me as the kind of guy who tolerated being told what to do.

I shook my head slightly to try and clear the shock out and tried to get back on task, glancing around the table and refocusing myself to try and get a read on the room. Baron Slovan looked like he wanted to throw up the first five courses of dinner right now, with his face having gone from red to white in record time. And at that very moment his expression tightened some more and he abruptly stood and stalked down to the side exit out of the dining hall, probably heading for the HPG station I would guess to send a WTF message back home.
So too, probably, I guessed was Myndo Waterly who had vanished from the high table and was nowhere to be seen (when I made a quick glance about and failed to spot her). Perhaps thinking she might get some minor political benefit if she got the word to Terra fastest?

Whatever the reason, the fact that she was no longer in close proximity I took as probably good news, turning back as the latest applause for the Baron Lamberti finally ended.

"THIS!" Lamberti continued as soon as the clapping stopped. "THIS WILL BE A DAY LONG REMEMBERED!" he all but roared to the hall who were raptly watching him as he made a final turn with his cape looking rather spectacular and in one smooth move, swiped his wine glass and presented it towards the VIPs as he completed the turn. "AND THUS, I GIVE YOU, MY LORDS AND LADIES, HONOURABLE SOLDIERS AND HONOURED GUESTS, A TOAST! A TOAST TO THE GLORIOUS NEW DAY RISING ACROSS THE INNER SPHERE! THE NEW DAWN!"

Seriously, Brian Blessed would have been grudgingly impressed by this man's ham, but damn could he yell.

Energised by the gesture (and force of volume perhaps) the locals didn't seem to hesitate in grabbing their booze and brandishing it right back at him.

"THE NEW DAWN!" they yelled back before drinking - and then breaking out into a final round of applause once more.

It was a good toast I admitted as I sipped my water with a bit of a grim smirk. If inside the Federated Suns you raised a glass and linked anything back to the Sunburst, well, you generally were guaranteed a rowdy response.

Well. This war just got … interesting.

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #881 on: 27 December 2023, 06:15:44 »
Oh holy crap.  What was that about butterflies and typhoons?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #882 on: 27 December 2023, 07:24:03 »
Huzzah! Its back! You have our gratitude!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #883 on: 27 December 2023, 11:56:56 »
yea getting ready for civil war o'clock... again. 

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #884 on: 27 December 2023, 12:08:55 »
Ha!  I told my wife I was going to poke Chris on New Years, now he beats me to it.  More!  And merry Christmas, too, eh?
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #885 on: 27 December 2023, 16:24:13 »
Typhoons indeed!  So glad to see this story back! :)

shadowdancer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #886 on: 27 December 2023, 16:25:03 »
Glad to see you back. Had always liked your story. Use to check several times a day to see if you had put more up.
Wishing the Worse on your Enemies
Contact the 13th Armored Calvary
Deliverers of "BAD LUCK"
Anytime
Anyplace
If the Price is Right

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #887 on: 27 December 2023, 21:35:35 »
Uuurrrah!! And let slip the dogs of War!

GREAT to see your writing back on the Active list!

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #888 on: 27 December 2023, 22:54:54 »
It is back!!!
and like the storm that hit Maine on 18th of December..  It hit HARD

a new Civil War in the FWL..  like that something new..  or will the FWL jump all in on CC and watch them CC go out

What will the Taurians next move be.. join in crushing the CC or something else?
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

thtadthtshldntb

• Sergeant
« Reply #889 on: 28 December 2023, 00:06:32 »
this was a nice Christmas gift.

honestly it felt like the time was coming due for an update for the last 4 or 5 weeks. So the timing was perfect.

Register