Author Topic: This Was Easier on the Tabletop - a Battletech SI Fic  (Read 173126 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: This Was Easier on the Tabletop - a Battletech SI Fic
« Reply #120 on: 24 October 2018, 04:46:27 »
He can always email me, or a moderator, and we can reset it for him.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #121 on: 24 October 2018, 18:51:18 »
My password is from my favorite movie...

Like I'm gonna tell you!  xp

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #122 on: 27 October 2018, 21:17:43 »
I have been enjoying the 3-5 seperate sub threads going on
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #123 on: 28 October 2018, 00:50:24 »
Looks like Sakahara is going to get the Jihad treatment early.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #124 on: 28 October 2018, 04:17:40 »
I have been enjoying the 3-5 seperate sub threads going on

Got a link to those? :D
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #125 on: 28 October 2018, 08:58:41 »
its the same link but the primary reason the thing is almost 300 pages long is multiple posters running semi related conversations in the thread
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #126 on: 29 October 2018, 01:15:56 »
And totally unrelated as well.
Shoot first, laugh later.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #127 on: 29 October 2018, 09:35:38 »
And totally unrelated as well.
Sounds like nobody's driving the topic bus on that forums?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Tyrchon

• Corporal
« Reply #128 on: 29 October 2018, 10:16:33 »
Well it looks like the Mods on SB locked the thread by Chris's request.  I'm not surprised considering that not only were some posters veering far-afield with topics but some others were getting into some very questionable territory that some would consider inappropriate.

Hopefully, Chris can get his password reset and start posting here again.  We might go on tangents with comments, but we generally stay away from the real chuckle-head stuff that dances across the line of tactfulness.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #129 on: 29 October 2018, 18:33:01 »
Or he could just post a story-only thread like MA did with his.  But, whatever.
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #130 on: 08 November 2018, 22:42:51 »
OOOH, it seems Chris has another 20,000 words he's cutting up into chapters - I keep thinking about how I'd use formed plastic explosive and a pressure switch to keep Jamie and his whole staff in their chairs while I ask him how the weather is on Strana Mechty and interrupt Natasha to finish her sentence, "...And learn why they call me the Black Widow!" in a little old ladies voice.   >:D

LightGuard

• Master Sergeant
  • They called him Camouflage
« Reply #131 on: 09 November 2018, 11:14:25 »
OOOH, it seems Chris has another 20,000 words he's cutting up into chapters - I keep thinking about how I'd use formed plastic explosive and a pressure switch to keep Jamie and his whole staff in their chairs while I ask him how the weather is on Strana Mechty and interrupt Natasha to finish her sentence, "...And learn why they call me the Black Widow!" in a little old ladies voice.   >:D

The thread is still locked on Spacebattles, per his request. Are we missing something in translation here?
The Things I Do for Love...

Do not try to apply real-world logic to Battletech.  Naught lies there but madness and ruin. - moneylovingogre4hire

That's fine, then.  I've been waiting since 2014 or so, what's another year?  Time laughs at all things, but BattleTech laughs at time.  Then launches a trial of possession for it. - rebs

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #132 on: 09 November 2018, 12:14:13 »
Well, I'd love to unlock his account here, but he needs to drop me an email.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #133 on: 10 November 2018, 00:31:55 »
The thread is still locked on Spacebattles, per his request. Are we missing something in translation here?

As of this post, it's open, because I just finished the next chapter.  Ho-lee...  Tied to an ergonomic chair and slapped repeatedly with a printed copy of Kerlin Ward's last orders, indeed.

Well, I'd love to unlock his account here, but he needs to drop me an email.

W.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #134 on: 10 November 2018, 00:46:31 »
Jameson must have done a spit-take when he scanned the MAD.

And its a very good thing Natasha wasn't in the room!

Page 285 has Chapter 12.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #135 on: 10 November 2018, 04:38:37 »
And as a public service announcement the direkt link to chapter on the spacebattles thread:

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/this-was-easier-on-the-tabletop-a-battletech-si.659596/page-285#post-52306132

I apologize if this is going against some crossed t's and dotted i's of the forum rules ... spank me then, mods  ;)

Those spacebattles threadmarks are surely useful, though  ;D

Best Regards,
Christian

Aunt Edith modified for typos
« Last Edit: 10 November 2018, 04:40:12 by cklammer »

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #136 on: 10 November 2018, 10:34:28 »
being able to listen to the text while typing (Right Click -> Read aloud) :D is very awesome. Hearing the word "Han-Se"? Priceless... loved the STK double take on our Hero's MAD :D "Gear-Yo!" Roflcopter...
« Last Edit: 10 November 2018, 10:36:13 by ThePW »
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #137 on: 10 November 2018, 11:11:07 »
okay at the start of the 4SW what could the WD field in our timeline.  I know they were on three planets and that was what K hit.  this AU has them at 2.5 RGTs.  how does that compare with RTL? 

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #138 on: 10 November 2018, 11:51:51 »
okay at the start of the 4SW what could the WD field in our timeline.  I know they were on three planets and that was what K hit.  this AU has them at 2.5 RGTs.  how does that compare with RTL?

IIRC they were down to one combined-arms regiment in the end.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #139 on: 10 November 2018, 17:47:44 »

so it looks like the WD will be almost three times as powerful in the 4th SW.  that will help them.... later.  they still will have to "rebuild" those three Mech REGTS but, that is all about spare parts.  then bring back the other two or three with new machines.  Zeta would make a nasty Regt unit. 

Mackon

• Private
« Reply #140 on: 10 November 2018, 19:50:35 »
Plus saving all the families, that's going to make rebuilding a lot more workable.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #141 on: 10 November 2018, 21:54:32 »

1 regiment at the end of SW4. At the start of SW4 all five regiments were in theory active, Alpha and beta with 5 'provisional companies', whatever those are, and the others with 4 each

Reference, OTP death to mercenaries.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #142 on: 10 November 2018, 22:11:54 »
Someone can correct me but I thought the WD had clan mechs and other equipment still with their warships in the periphery.
I remember that's where Colonel Wolf's son was killed. So would they not go get it now that they are known as clan.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #143 on: 10 November 2018, 22:18:40 »
Someone can correct me but I thought the WD had clan mechs and other equipment still with their warships in the periphery.
I remember that's where Colonel Wolf's son was killed. So would they not go get it now that they are known as clan.

Warships and advanced units that wouldn't have fit in with the stuff from the IS.  And they might give the FC those Warships under the right circumstances.  Does anybody else remember they had techs able to use ComStar's HPG?  If Hanse can capture those HPGs like he did the canon timeline, he might be able to start getting them operation with their help.

Chaeronea

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #144 on: 11 November 2018, 00:04:22 »
Does anybody else remember they had techs able to use ComStar's HPG?  If Hanse can capture those HPGs like he did the canon timeline, he might be able to start getting them operation with their help.

Yes the Dragoons do have techs capable of using HPGs - there was a scenario in BattleTroops with Dragoon infantry holding the HPG grounds while a tech sends a message. I think it was for the Seventh Kommando capturing the An Ting HPG so they could send the Hegira message after the ISF tried to capture the Hephaestus station in An Ting.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #145 on: 11 November 2018, 17:46:19 »
Next time John Smith meets Natasha Kerensky, it should be in a more casual setting, where he and others are commenting about how she keeps setting top scores in practice ranges.  This way he can make the comment, "you're quite the Star, Colonel," and let Natasha figure out if he left out the comma.

paulobrito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #146 on: 11 November 2018, 17:52:53 »
Too late for that - already revealed that knows about the Clan origin of the Dragoons - see last chapter.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #147 on: 12 November 2018, 01:22:51 »
Do we know if a new thread for this story has started up somewhere?
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #148 on: 12 November 2018, 01:25:52 »
He had the thread at spacebattles unlocked.  I gave instructions on how to find it and read it, there should be a link on a previous page.

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #149 on: 12 November 2018, 01:49:35 »
Hey the password reset function is working again :p
I’ll post the next few chapters tonight. After a post work party thing :)
"I, the Baron of Strang, care not for your new names. Clans? Jade Falcons? I call you by your true name: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will, persecutors of the Periphery come back to lord it over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans!"

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Register