1 (3.3%)
VL-5T Vulcan
7 (23.3%)
WTH-0 Whitworth
0 (0%)
WTH-1 Whitworth
2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: A Very Mechwarrior Game  (Read 490 times)

Minemech

• Captain
A Very Mechwarrior Game
« on: 09 May 2024, 09:31:37 »
 You are one of a set of triplets and are engaged in a dark, Battletechy game to determine who will succeed to the throne of your world. Planetary law typically grants the title to the firstborn unless they are removed by the lord or The Council of Chivalry, but a special law exists for multiple birth situations where ten years of Mechwarrior military service under conditions designed by the Council of Chivalry will lead said council to a decision on who will ascend to the throne. You and your siblings have passed through many trials, finally passing through your academies and their related officer training programs summa ****** laude just to be presented with the final test. You are to serve those years in a 40 tonner of your choice serving the state (It does not matter which you want it to be for). Your performance and acts will be evaluated by The Council who will make the final decision on the basis of your career and choices during your military service. Choosing a mech will play a role in what type of company you may be assigned to in your initial regiment and greater career.

You can assume that there will be intrigue including assassination attempts and accidents as there have been throughout your entire life. If a sibling is traced to them, they will be removed from the line. You will be judged in part in a way that handicaps your choice, but also that values a good starting choice. This will technically take place in the 29th century, but mech choices will be allowed to be anachronistic to add to the scenario. All pretenders will also be assigned tutors during this service who will prepare you for the throne, but who may also remove you and who will be sending regular updates on your progress to The Council. What mech will you choose?

When you make your choice, you will in-character justify it to the council. This will be part of their screening process to determine if you made a better choice, but they are not daft and will easily identify an objectively poor choice.

Assume that The Council is biased against you from the start; you have a steeper hill to climb.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2024, 15:05:20 by Minemech »

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
Re: A Very Mechwarrior Game
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2024, 13:22:36 »
I went with the LRM Whitworth. It has firepower at all ranges, jumping mobility, and can take a beating.  I like that it can take different LRM types too.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2024, 13:54:44 »
The -5T Vulcan is fast and mobile enough to chose which fight I will fight; and it’s a vicious in-fighter. A poor man's Phoenix Hawk that can outfight what it can’t outrun (or needs to kill dead), be it 'Mechs, vehicles or infantry. Plus, fairly independent from ammo issues, fluff about the flamer notwithstanding.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2024, 14:16:16 »
Hmmm, What in the name of Marik?  Mechwarrior you say?  I'd want to create a character other skills than piloting/gunnery and concentrate on espionage-skills, blackmail the Council and hire a good mechwarrior and disguise them like my character, but, being a set of triplets, from a noble-family, most likely, my skills would be chosen for me.   

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2024, 14:45:33 »
Go with the Vulcan 5T as well, it's not bad thanks to it's mostly energy load out. Had friends who survived plenty of 3035 games in a Whitworth as well, just enough armor and firepower for a lvl 1 game to be a decent support.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2024, 08:58:42 »
Assume that The Council is biased against you from the start; you have a steeper hill to climb.

I have to say I really love your setup here, that sounds like it'd be a ton of fun to RP and play.

I went for the Hermes 2M. I thought about the Icarus, but I'd be worried about becoming vulnerable to ammo-based shenanigans. It has excellent firepower up close, plus the MGs provide some anti-infantry capability if push comes to shove. It's quirks (if you use them) also seem to be beneficial.

Not having JJ's will sting, but not having a ranged option likely stings more, and 7/11 is an excellent speed in the 2800s.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2024, 09:18:01 »
Vulcan 5T.   It's got mobility just about enough guns to be a threat from the side or rear.   You just need a good enough pilot to hit something after a jump.

S2pidiT

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2024, 12:33:56 »
I voted for the Icarus II. Mobility with jump jets and decent firepower (so long as ammo is present), with enough backup between the 2 mediums and 1 small laser that I wouldn't be completely defenseless without the AC/10. I've seen enough explosive ends to those with machine guns that their presence pushed me away from several options. Also BATTLEMASTER had just posted about using the LRM Whitworth when I voted, so I felt like I should take something different and I liked what I saw in the Icarus II.

In an alternate universe, a more arrogant me would take the Cicada 2B, because if the Council is already going to be biased against me, why not take the weakest oversized Locust and prove them all wrong?

Pistol Pete

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2024, 20:03:45 »
I LOVE this scenario.

Forget the awesome mediums, you gotta choose one of these "crappy" unloved mechs.

It a great way to see what they can really do, and a lot of them are actually quite decent in their niche.

I picked the Assassin.

While the Whitworth is generally the best mech on the list, it's not necessarily the most survivable mech on the field, and it's going to find itself in the middle of the brawl where it's going to get dangerous for a missile boat.

The Assassin has the mobility to dictate where and when it's going to join the fight. While it may take awhile to grind down an enemy (resulting in a long game of cat and mouse), it *is* actually capable of killing much bigger mechs if you can afford the time to stalk them.

It's also a great mech for scouting, raiding, and finishing off wounded mechs.

Register