Author Topic: Hibernaculum: (Vacation) Home of Clan Star Adder  (Read 24951 times)

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
Re: Hibernaculum: (Vacation) Home of Clan Star Adder
« Reply #30 on: 10 January 2021, 11:23:08 »
In a idea what the Home Clans might become I thought of only one new super Clan. Certain warrior orders were representing the old Clans, but they were united.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Savage Baron

• Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 12 January 2021, 18:20:56 »
Wasn't it CSA that advocating using all the Clans in Operation Revival? With CSA as the leaders/coordinators. IIRC, it might make sense that they present a united single Clan front with unique identities within the whole.
"Snatching draws from the jaws of victory since 3052."

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 14 January 2021, 03:51:14 »
It would be clever of the new ilKhan if he might invite the Home Clans to the Inner Sphere to conquer their own territories.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 14 January 2021, 04:02:53 »
It would be clever of the new ilKhan if he might invite the Home Clans to the Inner Sphere to conquer their own territories.
and they would accept with their first conquest being Terra itself to remove the taint that is Clan Wolf.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 14 January 2021, 10:42:12 »
And why would the Homeclans listen to the tainted and abjured Clans? I bet the only thing they want to trade are live Gauss rifle shots and PPC bolts

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 14 January 2021, 10:45:58 »
And why would the Homeclans listen to the tainted and abjured Clans? I bet the only thing they want to trade are live Gauss rifle shots and PPC bolts
[/quote
Maybe they (or at least one of them (Coyotes?)) might be impressed by the feat the ilClan did achieve. And finally they might never have given up the idea of having their Empire in the Inner Sphere.

Manchu

• Master Sergeant
  • MALVINA FOREVER
« Reply #36 on: 15 January 2021, 09:38:51 »
Wasn't it CSA that advocating using all the Clans in Operation Revival? With CSA as the leaders/coordinators. IIRC, it might make sense that they present a united single Clan front with unique identities within the whole.
That’s correct, Cassius N’Buta envisioned an invasion force comprising all Clans. See the first page of this thread for extensive discussion of this point and how it could impact the currentsituation.

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 18 January 2021, 05:35:44 »
What do you think, might there be interClan unit(s) in the Homeworlds now, unit(s) recruited from all Clans, somewhat like an Ebon Guard Galaxy?

Something like that could improve the cohesion between the different Clans.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 18 January 2021, 13:26:17 »
I would prefer specialization of each clan - on the other hand it is competition that makes them better. So per the clans way they should stay with inter clan competition and so cooperation is difficult.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: 18 January 2021, 14:47:29 »
I would prefer specialization of each clan - on the other hand it is competition that makes them better. So per the clans way they should stay with inter clan competition and so cooperation is difficult.

Agreed, I will believe it when I see it.  If you are talking about creating a non-canon unit (
Ebon Guard Galaxy?
) with a unique colour scheme from the clans seeing clan mechs with a black stripe would look cool. 

Competition is to ingrained in the Clans psyche to even consider it.  Historically every time there is call for unity in the Clans there is further separation soon after.  Herding cats would be simpler than trying to get three or more Clans to work together.

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #40 on: 18 January 2021, 16:46:21 »
Thesis: Disappointed Jade Falcon Hazen fans and other Clanners with a certain disdain for Clan Wolf are now much more likely to root for Clan Star Adder/Clan whatever the HW Clans have morphed into to finally awake from their hibernation and make their long-awaited move to the Inner Sphere to kick some ilClan butt. Agree?  ^-^
Personally, I always had a soft spot for Clan Star Adder and Cloud Cobra and can't wait for them to enter the grand stage of BT narration again.

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 19 January 2021, 05:25:56 »
It could be that the HomeClans might be the true Clan alternative for many of those Clanner who do not accept the ilClan and its foulblood ilKhan.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: 19 January 2021, 06:59:11 »
You mean some kind of an exodus of "true" clansmen to the homeworlds to ask for surkai? If they do it right a token Trial of Refusal could be done to undo the abjuration. They could proof their honor by spearheading the new invasion and taking the most brutal slugfests.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: 19 January 2021, 07:56:25 »
You mean some kind of an exodus of "true" clansmen to the homeworlds to ask for surkai? If they do it right a token Trial of Refusal could be done to undo the abjuration. They could proof their honor by spearheading the new invasion and taking the most brutal slugfests.

Depending on who guards the Exodus road that might result into Clanners turned into dust by warship fire. Though if the Star Adders are still as pragmatic as before they might interrogate those "returnees" to gather better intelligence since right now they do everything to stop contct from the IS with Clan space.

Manchu

• Master Sergeant
  • MALVINA FOREVER
« Reply #44 on: 19 January 2021, 15:01:16 »
What do you think, might there be interClan unit(s) in the Homeworlds now, unit(s) recruited from all Clans, somewhat like an Ebon Guard Galaxy?
Ebon Keshik performs (performed?) a very specific task that the Clans have (or are supposed to have) a universal interest in taking extremely seriously ... which they have proven not to, like most things. In the wake of the WoR, it’s possible that Ebon Keshik has been expanded beyond being an Elemental-only formation as an extension of the surviving HWCs’ rededication to the Clan eugenics program. If so, it could serve as a model for Cassius’s thesis of the Clans coordinating their respective strengths. It could also be a military arm of the Grand Council, something CSA would probably be amenable to suggesting given its dominance of that body/the role of ilKhan.
This is probably CSA’s long game in re: CHH. As to malcontents from other Clans, I think it depends on how things go with CHH and CGS.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2021, 15:07:32 by Manchu »

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: 22 January 2021, 09:19:28 »
Maybe the Homeclans did form some new Clans to improve their genetic diversity (they could reactivate more bloodnames and those could have get the maximum bbloodcount number) and have more sparring partners they can train against and declare any Trials to hone their skills.

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #46 on: 22 January 2021, 21:09:45 »
The Home Clans decided that any 'Mechs associated with the IS Clans would stop being used right? So are we saying that basically all the original Clan 'Mechs from 3050 and probably 3058 would only show up in IS Clan forces now, and the Home Clans would have all new stuff in any future sourcebook or whatever?

I only wonder because with the new RecGuides essentially giving facelifts to all the old Clan Mechs (as seen in the Kickstarter), that means any "classic" Mechs that "disappeared from the IS Clans" after the Jihad will basically be retconned into being IS only now, right?

Mechs like the Kingfisher and Warhawk were highly associated with the Falcons, Bears and Jaguars...both were considered only available to the Home Clans after WoR

(We've already seen in the RecGuides that the Bears still make the Viper in the IS despite the plant being destroyed in the Jihad...So does this mean the Viper was abandoned in the Homeworlds?)
« Last Edit: 22 January 2021, 21:11:25 by Zeruel »
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #47 on: 22 January 2021, 22:37:52 »
The Wars of Reaving Supplemental has a section titled "Discarded Tools of War". This gives a snapshot of Mechs no longer in use in the homeworlds as of 3090 (I think that's the in-universe date for WoR:S). In the Ice Ferret's entry it mentions that the Viper has taken over wherever the remaining Clans used Ice Ferrets.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #48 on: 22 January 2021, 22:53:36 »
The Wars of Reaving Supplemental has a section titled "Discarded Tools of War". This gives a snapshot of Mechs no longer in use in the homeworlds as of 3090 (I think that's the in-universe date for WoR:S). In the Ice Ferret's entry it mentions that the Viper has taken over wherever the remaining Clans used Ice Ferrets.

Ok, so that's by 3090...given it's 3150 in the " current" timeline now, do you think it will go further? Like the Viper itself will be replaced, etc... until all the 3050, 3055 and 3058 Mechs are gone?
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: 23 January 2021, 08:16:50 »
Ok, so that's by 3090...given it's 3150 in the " current" timeline now, do you think it will go further? Like the Viper itself will be replaced, etc... until all the 3050, 3055 and 3058 Mechs are gone?

Due to their losses I would imagine only a few new mechs were being designed.  Most of the discarded is more due to the factories destroyed.  Only two or three were considered to be “tainted”.  Depending on when (or if) the Clans try to take back Terra the only difference may be in their tactics rather than their Battlemechs.

It should be noted they did grab some of the Society’s tech so whe they are reintroduced they may have new toys to play with.

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 23 January 2021, 12:27:26 »
In WoR Supplemental Discarded Tools of War sidebox there are 16 OmniMech designs reported as not being in production anymore in 3090.
Given the vast number of Mech designs the Homeworlds industries were capable of producing this quite a small number.
There is reported that the HomeClans have producing new Mechs in great numbers, mothballing many to be prepared for a new invasion.

Nevertheless I hope for technological advancement that the Home Clans do field completely new designs, there have not to be many, 15-20 would be suitable.
Further this low number would help the get the logistic run smoothly.

Guardian11

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #51 on: 23 January 2021, 14:22:17 »
Considering the HW Clans were using the Pariah despite its even worse reputation and connection to the Society. I think most IS Clan designs in the Homeworlds are safe. I could see the HW Clans doing something similar to the Society Mech designs as the Republic did with WoB Celestial designs with their Uraeus and Kheper.

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #52 on: 23 January 2021, 14:34:32 »
so their talk about getting rid of 'Mechs associated with the IS Clans was probably just that, all talk...
probably started with the likes of the Ice Ferret, then when they could only replace it with the Viper (another Mech associated with an IC Clan), they just got pragmatic about it and said "whatever"

after re-reading WoR:Supplemental, it seems to me more like the Mechs they couldn't make anymore in the Homeworlds, they said "bah, IS taint!" and wrote them off
« Last Edit: 23 January 2021, 14:41:16 by Zeruel »

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 23 January 2021, 17:22:36 »
Most of the TRO3050 omnimechs were in use by all clans and had multiple factories. Many of them not developed by the later IS clans. It is hard to mark those designs as tainted as the were used by everyone.
There are other designs more specific to tainted clans. While the box in WoR Sup only gives us a small hint what factories are gone, i easily see more changes in the later years to adapt production lines. The Burrock isn't mentioned in the box, but i can't see it going on. Just as an example.

The original idea of the TRO3050 had 16 omnis for every mission. Easily reconfiguered for every situation. Using similar parts. Fast repairs etc.
I would be happy this idea would be picked again for the HW clans. Let them field different configs by taste and tactical doctrin of every clan, but limit the number of chassis. This would be a great step forward to streamline supply lines and speed up rebuilding processes.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: 23 January 2021, 18:07:47 »
so their talk about getting rid of 'Mechs associated with the IS Clans was probably just that, all talk...
probably started with the likes of the Ice Ferret, then when they could only replace it with the Viper (another Mech associated with an IC Clan), they just got pragmatic about it and said "whatever"

after re-reading WoR:Supplemental, it seems to me more like the Mechs they couldn't make anymore in the Homeworlds, they said "bah, IS taint!" and wrote them off

I imagine the “tainted” mechs will be either in storage, used in second-line or solhama units. I am curious how much they have embraced Protomech since the Ravens and CHH are the only ones outside the Homeworld Clans experimenting with them.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: 24 January 2021, 10:22:11 »
As far as i know the Adders were not great fans of Protomechs. They tried them, but didn't expand the program. On the other side we have the Stone Lions, Cloud Cobras and Coyote that have used them in numbers.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: 24 January 2021, 16:48:51 »
As far as i know the Adders were not great fans of Protomechs. They tried them, but didn't expand the program. On the other side we have the Stone Lions, Cloud Cobras and Coyote that have used them in numbers.

I think the Cloud Cobras might be the only Clan to take any serious effort into Protomechs. Frist of all they are an aerospace clan so there should be enough genetic material for Protopilots. Secondly they also gained the Protomech phenotype that the Spirits developed. I somehow doubt the Coyotes will restart Protos since they might be too deeply asociated with the rebellious society. The Lions might use them too given their approach to comabt though probably not in the scope other Clans did.

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: 25 January 2021, 05:56:09 »
In WoR, page 194 are (among others) the ProtoMech bloodnames displayed. Clan Star Adder does have two exclusive (so far).

Given Clan Star Adder`s pragmatic combined all-arms methodic I think the Star Adders will field Protomechs in reasonable numbers, hardly only-Protomech Units as other Home Clans might do. I think the Adders might rather field Protomechs of the Ultra-Heavy type (larger than 9tons) and here the Standard, quad and WiGe types.
These have been hardly shown their true potential yet.

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: 25 January 2021, 07:28:17 »
Given Clan Star Adder`s pragmatic combined all-arms methodic I think the Star Adders will field Protomechs in reasonable numbers, hardly only-Protomech Units as other Home Clans might do. I think the Adders might rather field Protomechs of the Ultra-Heavy type (larger than 9tons) and here the Standard, quad and WiGe types.
These have been hardly shown their true potential yet.

Indeed. With so many worlds and resources lost the Home Clans may have compensated by bolstering R&D into better Protomechs. Enough to be their ace in the hole should the ilClan come calling.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: 25 January 2021, 12:48:47 »
Proto-LAMs?  :D

Register