Author Topic: Solaris Skunkwerks Issues  (Read 3260 times)

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
Solaris Skunkwerks Issues
« on: 15 July 2017, 22:08:42 »
(Mods, please move this if it belongs in another area.)

I've been trying to get Solaris Skunkwerks to work for the first time in awhile, but simply CANNOT get the .jar to open! I'm in Windows 10 which defaults .jar to Adobe Reader, which can't read them. (Hooray MS!)

I've updated my Java Runtime Environment to the newest version and I've extracted the files. There just doesn't seem to be a way to get them to open. I even downloaded a semi-sketchy "JAR Runner" program which managed to open everything else in the SSW suit, such as Solaris Armor Works. But when I try to fire up SSW with it, it just displays the "still working" square with Pepe Le Pew and gives me the spinning circle, but never loads.

Super frustrating. Any help would be appreciated!
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
Re: Solaris Skunkwerks Issues
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2017, 23:22:35 »
Have you tried right-click in the SSW.Jar file and select "open with" option, then select Java?
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2017, 02:57:22 »
Mine does run under Windows 10, so at least we know it can work.  I second the suggestion above...

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 16 July 2017, 09:18:40 »
Open with-> select "Java(TM) Platform SE binary", remember to check the checkbox to always open .jar files with that.

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2017, 07:16:12 »
Thanks everyone! Windows 10, in it's unswerving need to be "Easy to use!" didn't make it all that easy to disassociate an "app" with a file type. But I got it to work by downloading a (reputable, I hope) JAR executor that got the program to run.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2017, 14:53:28 »
Very weird, mine has always worked by default on Win 10. Did you have something make a previous association?

I'm glad you got it figured it, it is an odd problem.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2017, 05:40:33 »
Win10 and Java programs sometimes don't work.  I had make sure mine was installed and updated before i could run MegaMek.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2017, 10:26:52 »
Mine's never had any problem.

While we're on the subject of SSW, anyone know if they plan to add functionality for superheavies?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 18 July 2017, 11:35:40 »

While we're on the subject of SSW, anyone know if they plan to add functionality for superheavies?
Probably not, simply b/c no one is working on it. The last update was Sept 11...2014. As far as I can tell, the source code isn't published anywhere (like it is for MegaMek) so no one can just pick it up and keep developing the program.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #9 on: 18 July 2017, 11:46:36 »

Probably not, simply b/c no one is working on it. The last update was Sept 11...2014. As far as I can tell, the source code isn't published anywhere (like it is for MegaMek) so no one can just pick it up and keep developing the program.

MegaMekLab full supports Superheavies, and their will be a new release in the next couple of days that will add the multi-crew cockpits as well.  In addition its recently had expanded support for making and printing infantry.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord