Author Topic: New and Upcoming Releases: The Ninth Circle  (Read 223556 times)

Death by Lasers

• Master Sergeant
Re: New and Upcoming Releases: The Ninth Circle
« Reply #750 on: 14 May 2017, 17:21:05 »
  Hearing about a potential Case White story got me thinking about how FASA use to do the big story arcs in trilogies, like in the Warrior and Blood of Kerensky trilogies.  Actually the FedCom Civil war even had a trilogy of sorts by Coleman: Patriots and Tyrants, Storms of Fate, and Endgame.  It would be cool to have a Word of Blake Jihad storyline completed in the same way with a Trilogy following the main characters and covering the events of the Jihad in broad strokes.
“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

J.R.R Tolikien, The Two Towers

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #751 on: 14 May 2017, 17:31:59 »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #752 on: 14 May 2017, 17:52:21 »
As a corollary to the Third Succession War discussion, is there any prospect of seeing additional products set in the Clan Homeworlds or Deep Periphery during this era?

I would REALLY like to see more Deep Periphery books.  I don't know what the post-ilClan plan is, but I really want to know what the Inner Sphere's rowdy neighbors are up to. 
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #753 on: 14 May 2017, 19:13:08 »
I would REALLY like to see more Deep Periphery books.  I don't know what the post-ilClan plan is, but I really want to know what the Inner Sphere's rowdy neighbors are up to.

The Niops nerds finished their Dyson Sphere and have turned the periphery into an Eden-eqsue utopia. That, combined with the Marians' togas and the Canopians'... party planning expertise, the periphery has entered a truly revolutionary age of weekend ragers.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #754 on: 15 May 2017, 06:16:28 »
I would like to see more Deep Periphery books, maybe the other way from the Clan Homeworlds.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #755 on: 15 May 2017, 11:01:06 »
I'm with Dmon.  The 3rd War was primarily raiding and while there were some large-scale battles, we do already have a lot of that detailed in prior publications.  I'd certainly still buy a 3rd War book, but I don't feel it's deserved.

Which publications? Are they out of print? If so, then we need a new book or so for the crowd that missed out. (raises hand to include himself in that crowd.)

edit: Something like this:

I think a 3SW would be nice. While a lot has been written about since the game started there has also been A LOT of new material, retcons, etc. over the 3SW period. Much of which is jumbled over a dozen books. Getting a clean updated look at the 3SW to go with what we have for the 1st and 2nd would make things a lot better.

Follow on that with a cleaned up 4th SW series (based on the older Atlas etc) and the only new material being an update for use with AS, BF2, ACS, and ISW. We have most of the material already for 3SW and a cleaned up 4SW so it should be enough to keep development costs down, especially for a 4SW product.

Yes I know the 4SW was covered in deep detail, but as you tweak the histories sometimes you just have to drag something back into the light and polish it up a little. As is I doubt the old PDFs for the Atlas and other 4SW books can even be searched unlike the modern PDFs released now.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2017, 11:20:54 by Daemion »
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #756 on: 15 May 2017, 11:34:59 »
Eh, agree to disagree. I prefer the 3rd SW to be the sandbox that it has been. We already know that it was a long, low-intensity war. It ranges from 2866 to 3025. The Successor states couldn't even keep up a sustained, organized campaign without severe financial hardship. Even by the time of the 4th war, Operation Rat almost bankrupted the FedSuns. The whole nature of the 3rd war was small raiding actions, a seesawing of borders, a select number of short & grander actions, and a continuing degradation of technology.

So, do the house handbooks go into details as to why certain things like going bankrupt to conduct a campaign? Of the ones I read, they haven't. A book that can flesh out why things happened the way they did would be very welcome. Since it is the era of constant raids, they could even go into why raiding was as successful for the house units, let alone merc units, as it was, or wasn't, however they decide to run with it.

There are a lot of gaps in the nuts and bolts of the BT framework, applying setting to game and/or vice-versa. Even a small book can add lots of interesting extra tidbits that might make you rethink how things are done in the BTU and what the BattleTech Aesthetic is supposed to be.

Secondly, I'm not real keen on hunting down old FASA stuff, even in PDF form, and trying to piece things all together. There are plenty of new people that probably have the same disposition. Having a non-Fasa, non-Fanpro CGL book that puts all the little things together would be awesome for new players and players who came in late.

I missed out on all the 80s and 90s stuff. And, having found some of that stuff, I find a lot of the information in the various scenario books to be a little light on information. I was hoping for a little bit more.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #757 on: 15 May 2017, 13:16:20 »
The Niops nerds finished their Dyson Sphere and have turned the periphery into an Eden-eqsue utopia. That, combined with the Marians' togas and the Canopians'... party planning expertise, the periphery has entered a truly revolutionary age of weekend ragers.

Hey, what happens on Niops IX stays on Niops IX.

More on topic, I wonder if the 3rd Succession War book might be a good opportunity to go into a bit more about Holy Shroud, if, of course, that's not already being done in 2nd Succession War.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

MarikMilitaMan

• Sergeant
  • The Kendall Hammers
« Reply #758 on: 15 May 2017, 14:04:09 »
Which publications? Are they out of print? If so, then we need a new book or so for the crowd that missed out. (raises hand to include himself in that crowd.)

edit: Something like this:

I'd like this as well.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #759 on: 16 May 2017, 08:47:37 »
I would like to see more Deep Periphery books, maybe the other way from the Clan Homeworlds.

Deep Periphery might make for some pretty cool TtS PDFs.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #760 on: 16 May 2017, 17:38:50 »
Deep Periphery TtS is a must!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #761 on: 16 May 2017, 19:48:20 »
Deep Periphery TtS is a must!

Pretty please!

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #762 on: 16 May 2017, 20:41:37 »
I'd prefer some kind of (X)TRO:Deep Periphery. TtS are fine too

I think, many want to know at this point what happens with there and with the Homeworld Clans. Still, advancing the timeline is what I would like the most.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #763 on: 17 May 2017, 04:30:51 »
Didn't ISP3 and XTRO Peripheral pretty much cover that?

Covered the little worlds and realms while giving a little Tech in both

They've already said Homeworlds are quiet so nothing from there
« Last Edit: 17 May 2017, 04:32:27 by Dragon Cat »
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #764 on: 17 May 2017, 05:41:27 »
There was supposed to be a XTRO: Deep Periphery but it was cancelled.  If i'm remembering that was the title of the cancelled XTRO that was mentioned either on the old forums or on the Battlechat.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #765 on: 17 May 2017, 05:48:25 »
There was supposed to be a XTRO: Deep Periphery but it was cancelled.  If i'm remembering that was the title of the cancelled XTRO that was mentioned either on the old forums or on the Battlechat.

Correct.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #766 on: 17 May 2017, 06:32:01 »
The Explorer Corps book was one of my favorite Battletech books, would like to see a update of that again.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #767 on: 17 May 2017, 08:22:59 »
The Explorer Corps book was one of my favorite Battletech books, would like to see a update of that again.

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-interstellar-expeditions-isp3-pdf

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #768 on: 17 May 2017, 10:30:43 »
We need....we DEMAND more Deep Periphery products! ISP 3 was sadly, not enough.  :D O0
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Legatus

• Corporal
« Reply #769 on: 17 May 2017, 12:18:37 »
Given the "it is whatever you want it to be" nature of the Interstellar Player series, I think some of us would prefer something more canonical.  For me, I found ISP 3 to be somewhat wanting and leaving me desiring something more.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #770 on: 17 May 2017, 12:31:35 »
An update of ISP3 (3150) would be very interesting. What happened meanwhile to the systems and space regions reported ...
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

CungrVanck

• Warrant Officer
  • Inner Sphere Historian
« Reply #771 on: 17 May 2017, 13:04:29 »
An update of ISP3 (3150) would be very interesting. What happened meanwhile to the systems and space regions reported ...

I would be up for that.  Especially since I have a pet theory regarding the Axumite Providence and the Word of Blake.

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #772 on: 17 May 2017, 14:02:10 »

All dead. Gone. Ripped from space.

Nothing to see there, anymore.
Eh.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #773 on: 17 May 2017, 14:51:45 »
Given the "it is whatever you want it to be" nature of the Interstellar Player series, I think some of us would prefer something more canonical.  For me, I found ISP 3 to be somewhat wanting and leaving me desiring something more.

IIRC the Deep Periphery sections of ISP3 are regarded as being more reliable than the other books' "canon rumour" status.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #774 on: 17 May 2017, 15:29:39 »

So, the secret alien empires trying to contain humanity have struck!

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #775 on: 17 May 2017, 15:41:41 »

So basically the Kobol Protocol.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #776 on: 17 May 2017, 15:47:33 »

[dramatic]Nooooooooooooooo!!!!![/dramatic]
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #777 on: 17 May 2017, 16:14:07 »

The Sword. The Dragon. The Fist. The Eagle. The Other Sword.

All there is, all there will be, and all there ever was.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #778 on: 17 May 2017, 16:21:07 »
The Sword. The Dragon. The Fist. The Eagle. The Other Sword.

All there is, all there will be, and all there ever was.

The Clans have stuck around an awful, awful long time, but I do hope one day we're back to just the five important/core factions.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #779 on: 17 May 2017, 16:24:12 »
The Clans have stuck around an awful, awful long time, but I do hope one day we're back to just the five important/core factions.

At this rate, the wolves will be the only IS faction by 3150