Author Topic: Clan Sea Fox Organization  (Read 3288 times)

Bergie

• Warrant Officer
Clan Sea Fox Organization
« on: 16 September 2013, 20:04:47 »
First of all, thank you very much for the greatness that is FM: 3145.  I've only skimmed it so far, but I have a few questions about my favourite clan:

1) Do we have a rough number about how big an Aimag is? We know it consists of multiple jumpships focused on a specific Arc- or CargoShip, but is there a 'ideal' number of jumpships assigned to each?  Should we consider each closer to a naval Cluster (45-90), Binary or Trinary (10-15), or star (5) of ships?  Because I figure the number is "whatever plot requires", I was just wondering if there was a 'rule of thumb' answer.

2) From the Sea Fox deployment tables, it looks to me that each Aimag includes approximately 1 Cluster worth of troops:  Do these units still maintain some traditional unit names (ie: the XX Cruiser Cluster), do they simply take the name of their parent Aimag, or should they be considered little more than a collection of Star's, Binaries, and Trinaries assigned to various ships in the Aimag as to not have a larger unit designation?

3) Do the Sea Foxes forces focus on one unit type over another?  From what I would assume based on what seems to make sense from my perspective, I'd say they'd focus less on conventional infantry and vehicles and more on Mechs, Battle Armour, and ASF as they contain more concentrated firepower on a lower per-man basis, but that is just my assumptions.

4) Do their Clearing House Worlds and Planetary enclaves have their own separate military forces, or are they connected to the various Khanates which prowl their areas?  Would these troops be considered Solhama?  Would they be cycled regularly with the Khanate shipboard forces?

5) Do the Foxes split their blood legacies between the various Khanates (especially since the fall of the HPG network)?  Do they still do clan-wide Bloodname competitions, or would they--for example--split the 25 Hawker Bloodlegacies 5/Khanate, so each Khanate has a roughly equal distribution of bloodnamed individuals (if not an equal distribution of specific bloodnames)?
Returns from the Dead to be a Taurian and Shark/Fox Fanboy

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: Clan Sea Fox Organization
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2013, 03:55:13 »
Hi,

1. No. It varies.

2. It really comes down to whatever the commanders of the Aimag prefer.

3. They're still Clan, so expect an emphasis on 'Mechs, aerospace fighters, and armored infantry over all other branches. The tendency to work in concert with naval assets likely emphasizes aerospace and low-gravity forces.

4. Likely they are administered by Khanate forces on detached duty, backed up by what passes for "PGC" forces (likely raised and/or commanded by retirees).

5. I doubt the distribution of Bloodlines is even at all.

Thanks,

- Herb

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2013, 05:01:24 »
4. Likely they are administered by Khanate forces on detached duty, backed up by what passes for "PGC" forces (likely raised and/or commanded by retirees).

Building on this...

This info unfortunately didn't make it into either ER3145 or FM3145, but the Sea Fox forces assigned to their planet-bound installations are called Shoal Clusters.

Just FYI.

Bergie

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2013, 10:24:49 »
Hi,

1. No. It varies.

Hmmm. . . interesting. . . Well, I'm going to go on assume at least a binary/aimag in my own mind, because otherwise you'd be hard pressed to fit in a Cluster worth of troops AND a good deal of merchant traffic on fewer jumpships unless they are all Monoliths.  Thanks!

2. It really comes down to whatever the commanders of the Aimag prefer.

Interesting indeed!  This suggests that the Aimags are even more independent than I previously thought, with each one being a mini-clan within the Khanate mini-clans.  If it was otherwise, I would assume a more regimented military command structure.

Question:  Are an Aimag's forces raised from within the Aimag (almost like a militia?), or are they assigned by the Khanate?

3. They're still Clan, so expect an emphasis on 'Mechs, aerospace fighters, and armored infantry over all other branches. The tendency to work in concert with naval assets likely emphasizes aerospace and low-gravity forces.

It is what I thought, but I thought I'd check.  I LOVED the level of micromanagement in FM: Warden Clans about specific cluster make-ups, and would like to see that again one day. 

I doubt that you can (or will, owing to the lack of desire to micromanage the universe) answer this, but would a Cluster of 3 ASF trinaries, 2 Supernovas of Mechs and Elementals, and 1 supernova of Vehicles and Unarmoured Infantry (Marines) be reasonable do you think as a model for an Aimag Cluster?

Additionally, if memory serves there were multiple Clusters involved when Delta Aimag helped out the FWL, and one (even if it is a short one) is presently found in the Clan Protectorate.  Does this mean it is possible for Aimag's to have multiple clusters present, and some have fewer forces attached?

Cool!  Thanks

5. I doubt the distribution of Bloodlines is even at all.

Interesting. . . :D

Thanks!

Bergie

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2013, 10:26:18 »
Building on this...

This info unfortunately didn't make it into either ER3145 or FM3145, but the Sea Fox forces assigned to their planet-bound installations are called Shoal Clusters.

Just FYI.

Neat!  I can only assume that these troops focus much more on ground forces (additionally with armoured vehicles over mechs) than their space-borne brethren.

Thanks!

Register