Author Topic: Upcoming Releases Volume XIV: Aw, what's in the box!!?  (Read 171958 times)

Frabby

• Major
Re: Upcoming Releases Volume XIV: Aw, what's in the box!!?
« Reply #780 on: 28 May 2019, 15:46:20 »
Well, you know ... this was almost a year ago and IMHO that the timeline did not move for some years is nothing what fans and customers shhould so simply accept.
That's one possible view.
Another is that the timeline is arguably too long already, and must advance only very slowly. We're dealing with third and fourth generation protagonists already. Reset the board too often and it becomes meaningless.
I'd rather prefer CGL to explore each era in great depth and breadth.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #781 on: 28 May 2019, 16:07:21 »
Amen to that... and yes, my preference is for more Succession Wars.  There's so much potential in there.  More, I think, than in the post-clan invasion stuff. YMMV.

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #782 on: 28 May 2019, 16:11:47 »
Another is that the timeline is arguably too long already, and must advance only very slowly. We're dealing with third and fourth generation protagonists already. Reset the board too often and it becomes meaningless.

This is my view as well. I think there is more than enough of a time period for players to choose to play in...each time period has thousands of planets and lots of factions, Merc units, upstarts, pirates etc, etc to fight with/against and there are literally hundreds of different unit types to utilise and the scope of missions or campaigns is only limited by your imagination...I'd be happy to see the time line go no further and instead have each time period to be filled out with more cool content.

hf22

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #783 on: 28 May 2019, 21:26:24 »
It might not match with the idea of fiction driven timeline progress which currently seems to be the plan, but I'd say there is a fair argument ilClan should be the last major "era".

It provides a reasonable wrap up from a narrative point of view (the reestablishment of some form of loose clan style Star League), provides plenty of scope for smaller fiction driven progress within the era, and would stop thinning the fanbase over more time periods.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #784 on: 28 May 2019, 23:42:23 »
Anything in the pipe about or mentioning Homeworlds?

Just trying to complete a unit that has a certain origins there...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #785 on: 28 May 2019, 23:51:57 »

I second this.  I hope the Clan Homeworlds come to life in a book of their own.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #786 on: 29 May 2019, 02:46:11 »
This is my view as well. I think there is more than enough of a time period for players to choose to play in...each time period has thousands of planets and lots of factions, Merc units, upstarts, pirates etc, etc to fight with/against and there are literally hundreds of different unit types to utilise and the scope of missions or campaigns is only limited by your imagination...I'd be happy to see the time line go no further and instead have each time period to be filled out with more cool content.
The problem is that 3025 is, at the very least, very old school, and if your trying to bring in newer players it's probably not the best choice of material, at least as far as setting go's.

It might not match with the idea of fiction driven timeline progress which currently seems to be the plan, but I'd say there is a fair argument ilClan should be the last major "era".
If Legacy is anything to go by I think that the possibility of fiction focusing on small units is unlikely going forward.

It provides a reasonable wrap up from a narrative point of view (the reestablishment of some form of loose clan style Star League), provides plenty of scope for smaller fiction driven progress within the era, and would stop thinning the fanbase over more time periods.
There WILL be era's after it, if anything it will likely serve to close out the current epoch of BT.

Just trying to complete a unit that has a certain origins there...

TT
I'm going to guessing it will be covered in ilClan.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #787 on: 29 May 2019, 07:39:11 »
We currently have ~700 years of playable timeline (2450-3150). The question that has to be asked is what does more timeline offer us from both a gameplay and narrative perspective? We’re at the point where I feel like advancing the timeline for the sake of advancing the timeline isn’t enough any more.

Love or hate the old 3250 idea, but it was to offer a substantive change to both the game and structure of the universe. If it’s decided to move past 3150, it should have a clearly defined feel that isn’t just “ok everyone’s still fighting but now the wolves are the most powerful and here’s ten new toys”
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 10:40:33 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #788 on: 29 May 2019, 08:09:21 »

Anyone who says they know anything about the Homeworlds these days has been using that pipe.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #789 on: 29 May 2019, 08:37:38 »
The Tetatae's name for the old Clan Homeworlds, Fokopopenohalapeno, roughly translates as "hunting/feasting grounds."  The Grand WarFlock found the genecaste, in particular, to be a treasured delicacy.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #790 on: 29 May 2019, 08:41:44 »
Nope.

If Legacy is anything to go by I think that the possibility of fiction focusing on small units is unlikely going forward.
That is however the eventual goal.

Sartris, that’s pretty much my view on it.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

ArchonDan

• Sergeant
« Reply #791 on: 29 May 2019, 08:43:54 »
We currently have ~700 years of playable timeline (2450-3150). The question that has to be asked is what does more timeline offer us from both a gameplay and narrative perspective? We’re at the point where I feel like advancing the timeline for the sake of advancing the timeline isn’t enough any more.

Love or hate the old 3250 idea, but it was to offer a substantive change to both the game and structure of the universe. If it’s decided to move past 3150, itshould both have a clearly defined feel that isn’t just “ok everyone’s still fighting but now the wolves are the most powerful and here’s ten new toys”

I agree with you. In the existing time line there is already so much change, so many actors and cast of characters defined. Continuing to move the time line forward just minimizes all the existing eras.  Pause the timeline and explore within the existing universe. From a gameplay and business side, create more detailed unit and scenario books much like the touring the star series or the old scenario books that were put out in the early days.  Right now the BT has a massive framework of events and characters to draw from. Rather then expand it, explore with in it more.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #792 on: 29 May 2019, 09:11:17 »
Anyone who says they know anything about the Homeworlds these days has been using that pipe.

I can't help but like the homeworlds.  They're the misbegotten children of BT. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #793 on: 29 May 2019, 09:18:28 »

Yeah, have to wonder how you got that idea . . . we saw none of the regular story units in the book (WD, GDL, KH, DBoG, etc), were introduced to several small bands that likely went bust which was part of the reason the machine passed into other hands.  Throw on that we got the KH starter trilogy, the new box sets have fiction for Carlyle's Commandos which was small unit, even the new novellas one had the early POV character being a small merc command.

AnchorDan, we are told quite often the specific scenario books are not great for business- either in overall sales, velocity, or both.  Honestly, if you want something along those lines, you might look down in the fan fiction section b/c plenty of fans by what I saw will create and then share.  Right now, as a outsider, it seems the business plan is to wrap up the promised era (Dark Ages) and re-order the product line to keep the basics in print- Box Set, TW/BMM, and core TROs like the new TRO Succession Wars & impending TRO Clan Invasion.  With that they can keep product on the shelf for folks to get started and from there they can where they want.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #794 on: 29 May 2019, 09:21:59 »
Yeah, have to wonder how you got that idea . . . we saw none of the regular story units in the book (WD, GDL, KH, DBoG, etc), were introduced to several small bands that likely went bust which was part of the reason the machine passed into other hands.  Throw on that we got the KH starter trilogy, the new box sets have fiction for Carlyle's Commandos which was small unit, even the new novellas one had the early POV character being a small merc command.

Just to Clarify, not Carlyle's Commandos...Colby's Commandos.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=62594.msg1439040#msg1439040

I no longer have the minis (still need to repaint them up) as Brent Evans now owns them after loving the paint scheme at MechCon 2018.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 09:24:51 by NeonKnight »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #795 on: 29 May 2019, 09:31:25 »
I knew it was CC, guess I was throwing around the wrong first name.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #796 on: 29 May 2019, 09:41:35 »
Yeah, I'd love to see a timeline of the Carlyle's:

COLBY COMMANDOS -> CARLYLE'S COMMANDOS -> GREY DEATH LEGION

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #797 on: 29 May 2019, 10:33:12 »
Okay, that was my confusion- I keep thinking they were about the unit his dad controlled directly before the GDL.
Colt Ward

ArchonDan

• Sergeant
« Reply #798 on: 29 May 2019, 10:56:10 »
Thanks Colt Ward, I'll head over to the Fan fiction section. I like the idea of wrapping up the Dark Age and reordering the line a bit, make it a bit more streamlined and better organized.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #799 on: 29 May 2019, 10:56:30 »
Yeah, I'd love to see a timeline of the Carlyle's:

COLBY COMMANDOS -> CARLYLE'S COMMANDOS -> GREY DEATH LEGION

Then Brewer's Legion and death?

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #800 on: 29 May 2019, 10:59:01 »
I do believe Colby's (which is new as of the Box Sets) was Carlyle's force before being renamed to Carlyle's Commandos.

Colby's Commandos are spearheaded/run by Durant Carlyle...and Grey Death was run his Son Grayson.

So, there is defintely a story there on How Colby's Commandos becomes Carlyle's Commandos

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #801 on: 29 May 2019, 11:22:32 »
So, there is defintely a story there on How Colby's Commandos becomes Carlyle's Commandos

Galatea, 30XX
The young adept scrunched his nose, attempting to make out Durant's handwriting. "Colby's Commandos to Carlyle's commandos?"
"Yes" Durant nodded in agreement.
"Fine." The adept notarized the form. "Your form CSMB341.32D-P has been officially processed and fee processed from your escrow account. Please allow five to ten business days for the official listings to change at the hiring hall."
"Great, thanks." With the day's work done, Durant Carlyle wandered off to find a bottle to drain.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #802 on: 29 May 2019, 11:58:40 »
Galatea, 30XX
The young adept scrunched his nose, attempting to make out Durant's handwriting. "Colby's Commandos to Carlyle's commandos?"
"Yes" Durant nodded in agreement.
"Fine." The adept notarized the form. "Your form CSMB341.32D-P has been officially processed and fee processed from your escrow account. Please allow five to ten business days for the official listings to change at the hiring hall."
"Great, thanks." With the day's work done, Durant Carlyle wandered off to find a bottle to drain.

Well, you just shot yerself in the foot, you coulda sold that story to CGL :P

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #803 on: 29 May 2019, 12:41:40 »
i am, before anything, a man of the people  :P

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #804 on: 29 May 2019, 17:54:23 »
The problem is that 3025 is, at the very least, very old school, and if your trying to bring in newer players it's probably not the best choice of material, at least as far as setting go's.

That's a fair point, SCC. I guess all it would take to make it not "Old School" though, would be to have new and modernised (aka MWO style or similar) artwork commissioned for the TRO's and give them a more modern format, (keep the new plastic modernised mini's coming too).

Also, 3025 is a good starting point for new players to get into the game because of the lower Tech level and smaller amount of unit choice (although still providing a great variety of Tech and units).

...and having Alpha Strike helps a lot as it allows more people to get their game on more often, when otherwise they might be too time poor to indulge in a CBT game.

RomulusDC

• Corporal
« Reply #805 on: 29 May 2019, 20:13:23 »
BattleTech was for many years my go to game/ setting because I could always count on a moving storyline. I could always look forward to some surprise.
I don’t like the pre 3025 stuff. Doesn’t interest me at all. I hate going backwards in a story. I just started a Megamek  campaign in 3067 not because I want to, but because I hope by the time I play it out to 3150, there will be somewhere new to go.
I don’t want to see BattleTech enter into syndication, doomed to rehash the same old time line over and over. Just covering the same ground with increasing granularity doesn’t feel like it’s new material.
I suppose I post this as a counter to the enough is enough argument because I believe my perspective is relevant and Catalyst appears to some degree to consider customer opinion. This is mine.

RotS fan

• Master Sergeant
  • Ad securitas per unitas
« Reply #806 on: 29 May 2019, 21:57:06 »
Also, 3025 is a good starting point for new players to get into the game because of the lower Tech level and smaller amount of unit choice (although still providing a great variety of Tech and units).
And that's wrong. Limiting gameplay to specific eras is a bad decision, to say the least. The system would be better if newer gamers could play at any setting they like, but using simpler rules.

I can't disagree more
Older eras are already explored enough. It is hard to believe that you didn't have enough time to enjoy all the eras and digest their stories IN THE PAST 35 YEARS. Heck, we are stuck in Dark Age for the last 17 years. The plot advanced only 18 years in-universe (3132-3150), kinda hard to be slower than this.

To be quite honest I have simply accepted that Battletech isn't a game for me. Never seen a fan base so averse against moving forward.

There are games out there that are being updated frequently, with fan bases that are not against such updates. I still have a space in my heart for Battletech, but the space in my wallet is long gone.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #807 on: 29 May 2019, 23:20:27 »
Can we not make this a argument regarding eras

I started playing in the Clan Invasion era. I play tons of 3025 era right now but 3050 is still my favorite for many reasons. Variety is one of the best things about the BTU, I love how it just keeps giving us new stuff to blow up shoot at play with! 

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #808 on: 29 May 2019, 23:45:32 »
Older eras are already explored enough. It is hard to believe that you didn't have enough time to enjoy all the eras and digest their stories IN THE PAST 35 YEARS. Heck, we are stuck in Dark Age for the last 17 years. The plot advanced only 18 years in-universe (3132-3150), kinda hard to be slower than this.

Warhammer 40K and Star Fleet Battles say hello.  Also the original White Wolf RPG line was static until they had their "end of the world" / reboot.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #809 on: 29 May 2019, 23:57:54 »
40K has advanced over a hundred years in the last two, it's not exactly one to hold up as an example.  Star Fleet Battles is based on a property that has advanced decades in the last ten years (though I rightly don't know where it is now or exactly how recently that happened) thanks to Star Trek Online.

You may want to update your go-to examples.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Register