Poll

Same question as last time but with more meaningful brackets.  What percentage of your designs include rear mounted weapons?

0-5%
17 (73.9%)
6-12%
4 (17.4%)
13-24%
2 (8.7%)
25-50%
0 (0%)
50%+
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Rear mounted weapons; yea or nay? Setup right this time.  (Read 1200 times)

grimlock1

• Captain
After looking at the other poll, I realized I set the brackets all wrong. Sorry.

There's been a lot of discussion about the virtues, vices and even need for for rear mounted weapons, over in another thread. So I got curious.  How often do you use rear mounted weapons?

This includes fresh builds, complete rebuilds, and tweaks.  Leaving the Centurion's rear mounted laser when you dump the ac/10 for a cLPLAS and some heat sinks because, "why not." That's valid.  But please don't include campaign settings where "I REALLY want to flip my Grand Dragon's extra rear mount ML forward, but if I do that, I can't make payroll...
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Retry

• Lieutenant
Re: Rear mounted weapons; yea or nay? Setup right this time.
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2019, 22:04:38 »
As far as I'm concerned, if you ever reach a point where you think "a rear-mounted weapon would be useful here" during a game, then you've already lost.

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2019, 22:58:53 »
Sometimes the fluff of the design comes before the design itself, and in few cases that has called for rear mounted weapons. However, whenever i put together a design for actual fighting, it never has a rear mounted weapon. 0-5 for me.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2019, 00:44:23 »
My very first fight I've fought in CBT was won because if that rear mounted Laser of the Dragon. Most mechs with rear facing weapons also have lots of armor in those location, so to keep in the fight or another round of heat reduction is a option for those Mechs.

My primary Mech the Zeus also uses the rear laser on almost every occasion.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2019, 03:27:24 »
Quad mechs, or melee mechs without arm-mounted weapons. Those often get rear guns. Since I've designed a fair number of each that's a noticeable percentage.

packhntr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2019, 09:04:29 »
Generally speaking, whenever I do a mech that is a Quad, it has something. if it is a 3/5/0 or slower, then it has something.  If it is a brawler, then it's a 50/50 if it gets anything rear facing. 
If at first you don't succeed, make it worth the repairman's time!

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2019, 19:32:18 »
Like I said in the other thread, extremely rare occurence and more likely to use turrets or flippy arms.

Register