Author Topic: Is it supposed to look like this?  (Read 1796 times)

DarkSpade

• Major
Is it supposed to look like this?
« on: 13 April 2019, 22:52:11 »
Just installed meklab for the first time in a long time and I'm wondering if something's not loading right.  First off, everything is really small. To the point that I don't think I'll be able to use the program for more than a few minutes without eye strain induced headaches.

Also, in the equipment list, all the lines seem to be overlapping each other(attached image).  This problem seems to go away when I choose some of the other themes, but all the text gets even smaller.  One of the themes got so small I almost couldn't read the menu to change it back.

Any of this fixable on my end?  And while I'm here, is there an FAQ or getting started guide somewhere for megamek?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

DarkSpade

• Major
Re: Is it supposed to look like this?
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2019, 22:58:58 »
Love how images I attach to posts here somehow end up looking way larger in my browser than they do in an image editor. 
 :crash:

Anyway, here's an example using my post above for scale.  Meklab is set to the "metal" them in this screen shot.  My browser is not set to zoom in or enlarge this or, as far as I know, any other website.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2019, 10:12:16 »
Hmmmm... 4K/UHD monitor?
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2019, 11:19:05 »
Sounds just like the Java high DPI issues found on high resolution monitors.

See here -
https://github.com/MegaMek/megamek/issues/543

also try here

http://www.mekwars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9841#p71861
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2019, 11:49:54 »
Hmmmm... 4K/UHD monitor?

Yup.  High res or not, I never understood how a bigger monitor can make text smaller.

Sounds just like the Java high DPI issues found on high resolution monitors.

See here -
https://github.com/MegaMek/megamek/issues/543

also try here

http://www.mekwars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9841#p71861

The specific instructions didn't work, but it did get me pointed to what I needed to play with. All fixed now, thanks!  :thumbsup:

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2019, 13:02:11 »
Even if you get a slightly bigger (physically) monitor, vastly smaller/more pixels makes things smaller for the same number of pixels.

Having dialogs dynamically space based on on-screen text size is usually more work than its worth.  I see this problem on quite a few programs, even from big developers.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2019, 13:13:51 »
Given Megamek's age this will likely remain a challenge for a while.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord