Author Topic: Battletech Beatdowns in Northern VA  (Read 144350 times)

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
Re: Battletech Beatdowns in Northern VA
« Reply #1380 on: 10 November 2023, 11:58:34 »
Good news: they gave us a 96, and my wife is headed down to Norfolk for the weekend, so I'm available on Sunday if you'd like an assistant GM.  Just let me know!

Sounds good.  I'll can provide transportation if need be.
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1381 on: 10 November 2023, 12:08:58 »
My wife's taking the car, so transportation please!  It's a long walk to Huzzah... :)

donZappo

• Recruit
« Reply #1382 on: 12 November 2023, 01:16:09 »
Sorry for the late question here! With my mechs, only two are painted. Not sure if that's a problem for this event. I did see that Jester said he'd have forces on loan if needed, too. Would I have to request those ahead of time, or would I be able to show up without mechs and still be able to play?

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1383 on: 12 November 2023, 01:27:43 »
Sorry for the late question here! With my mechs, only two are painted. Not sure if that's a problem for this event. I did see that Jester said he'd have forces on loan if needed, too. Would I have to request those ahead of time, or would I be able to show up without mechs and still be able to play?

You don't need to have any units painted and proxies are perfectly fine.

I have built 4 lists and as far as I know I will be loaning 2 of them out.

You can also use Flechs Sheets as well in case you're having trouble finding a sheet for a particular mech.
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1384 on: 13 November 2023, 19:54:43 »
I think the game went well!  We had two early departures and one late join, but everyone had fun!  The newest player (literally never played before) only lost one out of four 'mechs for two kills, and the WoB force romped a bit at the other end of the map.  Lots of people took pictures, so hopefully we'll see some posted soon! :)

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1385 on: 17 November 2023, 14:25:24 »
Alrighty.  I'll be running a game at Huzzah Hobbies on December 16th starting at 1 PM.

Scenario is Star Adders vs FWL during the Great Refusal.  I'm using this opportunity to play test this because I intend to run it at Gencon next year.  All materials will be provided.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them.
« Last Edit: 18 November 2023, 00:05:54 by Jester006 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1386 on: 17 November 2023, 17:30:30 »
I'm only a maybe at this point... still arranging family for Christmas leave...

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #1387 on: 17 November 2023, 21:30:48 »
Alrighty.  I'll be running a game at Huzzah Hobbies on December 16th starting at 1 PM.

Scenario is Star Adders vs FWL during the Great Refusal.  I'm using this opportunity to attest this because I intend to run it at Gencon next year.  All materials will be provided.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them.

Ooooo. . .  I might drive down from Martinsburg for that one.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Dapper Apples

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1388 on: 18 November 2023, 14:59:05 »
Is this scenario Classic or Alpha Strike?

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1389 on: 18 November 2023, 17:11:09 »
Is this scenario Classic or Alpha Strike?

Classic

Cull

• Recruit
« Reply #1390 on: 26 November 2023, 20:07:17 »
The timing works perfectly for me, I'll plan to be there.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #1391 on: 28 December 2023, 12:17:31 »
Sorry I couldn't make it.  How'd the Trial of Refusal go?
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Cull

• Recruit
« Reply #1392 on: 30 December 2023, 19:25:36 »
When I called it a day the Mariks were having a better time than they did in canon.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1393 on: 30 December 2023, 19:54:20 »
Even more sorry I missed it... :/

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1394 on: 02 January 2024, 15:57:17 »
Sorry I couldn't make it.  How'd the Trial of Refusal go?

The units for each side were as follows.

Marik:

Battlemaster 3M, War Dog 02FC, Perseus 1A, Griffin 3M
Eagle 2M, Cronus 5M, Wolverine 7M, Ostroc 2D
Phoenix Hawk 3M, Tarantula 2A, Owens 1C, Buccaneer 3R
28,413 BV

Star Adders:

Blood Asp A, Nova Cat B, Adder A, Mongrel A, Arctic Cheetah D, 5 points of Corona BA
28,931 BV

Things were going ok for the Mariks until the poor Tarantula decided to try and jump behind an Adder.  In the middle of its jump, it came across a point of Coronas and a Blood Asp that were hidden and got shot out of the sky.

The Blood Asp then went on a spree because the next following turns it put the Cronus and Buccaneer into forced withdrawal.  Took out the War Dog by criting the gauss rifle and blew off a leg to the Owens; but I guess being a 0 gunner will do that.  The Phoenix Hawk took a crit to its sensors and life support thanks to some cheeky Coronas.  The Ostroc took 2 heavy large lasers to its CT which left it with only 10 points of structure left there. The Eagle had 2 points left in its CT.  Wolverine had taken some noticeable damage, but nothing serious.

Star Adders lost all 5 points of Coronas and the Adder.  Mongrel was is the same shape as the Wolverine.  The Coronas put in a lot of work even though they were wiped out; was glad to see them get some action.

I made sure to let everyone know that the game was a play test of a scenario before the game started.  They provided some good feedback and have made some adjustments.  Even though the Adders had roughly a 500 BV advantage, I gave the Mariks all the semi-guided LRMs they wanted and the BV I listed above didn't take into account the BV adjustment for SG ammo.

For adjustments, I was thinking about swapping out the Ostroc for an Anvil 6M and instead of the Eagle maybe a Hermes 3S2 would work better.  I was also thinking about giving the Mariks 1 or 2 homing Arrow IVs a turn.  The terrain played a huge part in the game, but that was my intention as the scenario is suppose to take place in a swamp and the Adders are lying in ambush using the Coronas to call in LRM indirect fire.

Here's the additional units I plan to use for the full scenario.

Marik:

Shadow Hawk 5M, Trebuchet 7M, Thunderbolt 8M, Avatar OA, Marauder 5M, Albatross 3U, Cerberus 5M, Awesome 9Q

Adders:

Warhawk C, Savage Coyote A, Kingfisher C, Hellion A, Peregrine Standard

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1395 on: 02 January 2024, 16:01:13 »
I'll be running another play test of my Gencon scenario of FWL vs Star Adders on Saturday January 27th at Battlegrounds in Midlothian, VA for those who are interested.

Classic rules will be used and start time will be noon.

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #1396 on: 04 January 2024, 21:34:07 »
Sounds like fun!

Tinyozora

• Warrant Officer
  • House Jurai
« Reply #1397 on: 08 January 2024, 02:03:06 »
That's really awesome Jester, and I'm super sad I'm not around to help playtest.

DanghenWoolf

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
  • Incoming fire has the right of way.
« Reply #1398 on: 30 January 2024, 16:34:47 »
Alpha Strike Grinder Feb 17th @Huzzah Hobbies in Ashburn from 1 - 5pm

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1399 on: 30 January 2024, 20:11:02 »
Have fun! :)

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1400 on: 05 February 2024, 11:48:27 »
I'll be going to the Richmond Open in May to run a Battletech learn to play event.  If people want to get a pick up game in sometime that weekend or just want to hang out, I'd be happy to shoot the breeze.

Kibutsu

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1401 on: 05 February 2024, 13:12:34 »
I'm planning on running an Alpha Strike scenario at ScrumCon on Saturday, March 30. I don't have a confirmed time yet. It would be great to meet any of you that may be planning to attend.

DanghenWoolf

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
  • Incoming fire has the right of way.
« Reply #1402 on: 06 February 2024, 12:07:20 »
Just heard back from Huzzah that they reserved 4 tables for the Grinder event on the 17th. If you want to come play that just opened up more space! I have a listing on Best Coast Pairings for signups. If you want to come play some Alpha Strike come on down and throw some dice! I will be providing all materials.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1403 on: 06 February 2024, 17:42:17 »
Have fun! :)

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1404 on: 18 February 2024, 15:38:30 »
Alrighty.  Saturday March 16th at Huzzah I'm going to run a game where people get to bring 4 mechs of their choice with a combined total of 10k BV. 

You must bring 1 light, 1 medium, 1 heavy and 1 assault.  Jihad era will be the latest you can pick from for availability.  No artillery allowed.

Everyone will start with their light mechs on the table.  Then when it's destroyed or crippled, you'll be able to re-enter in your medium mech and so on.

Classic rules will be used along with some additional optional rules like walking backwards up/down hills and floating crits.  Start time will be 1 PM.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1405 on: 18 February 2024, 17:19:41 »
If you need an assistant GM, I might be able to help... :)

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1406 on: 18 February 2024, 18:00:23 »
If you need an assistant GM, I might be able to help... :)

I'll have a couple bottles of A&W cream soda for ya.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1407 on: 18 February 2024, 18:09:55 »
Awesome, thanks!  I'll know closer to the date if I can make it, and I'll suspect I can... :)

Dapper Apples

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1408 on: 04 March 2024, 14:28:45 »
I should be able to attend.

We're allowed to have higher skilled pilots, correct?  As long as its not silly like a 1/6 or something.  Any non-standard ammo in the TW book?

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1409 on: 04 March 2024, 18:13:12 »
I should be able to attend.

We're allowed to have higher skilled pilots, correct?  As long as its not silly like a 1/6 or something.  Any non-standard ammo in the TW book?

Higher skilled pilots are fine.  Try to keep gunnery and piloting within 2 of each other.

As for alternate ammo types, the following are allowed.

LRM:  Artemis, Narc
SRM:  Artemis, Narc, Inferno
Autocannon: Precision, AP, LB-X Cluster
ATM:  HE, ER

If someone wants to suggest adding to that list, I'll all ears; but I wont allow smoke or Thunder.