Author Topic: Teaser for a proposed...thing.  (Read 135622 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Teaser for a proposed...thing.
« Reply #900 on: 14 January 2020, 17:12:13 »
It's about time Liz got some more responsibility... too bad she's falling for Roshak's nonsense...

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #901 on: 14 January 2020, 18:21:13 »
It's about time Liz got some more responsibility... too bad she's falling for Roshak's nonsense...

Rooting for Archonette Ngo, here. :)

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #902 on: 14 January 2020, 20:08:17 »
Rooting for Archonette Ngo, here. :)
  Sounds nice in theory, but that path led to a civil war in at least one timeline, thanks mainly to the mental defects of the Steiner-Davion in charge, and it majorly contributed to the outright secession of the plague worlds in the Arluna Flu timeline(s) as well.  She’s achieved all that she has by being honest and efficient, two things that are alien and anathema to the graft and peculation that are the lifeblood of most of the Lyran nobility, and her rivals have refined chopping down tall poppies to an art-form.
  Rather than counting on a constant stream of golden eggs from Kowloon to keep the books balanced, what Vic really needs to do is find a way of implementing a Ngo-style reform across the entire FedCom.  But there are just too many vested interests and too much deadwood for that to happen — you’d simply have too much pushback from Cicinnatus-style groups or ‘Heimdall’ or ‘loyalists’ to make any real headway.
  Hell, LaRue’s shenanigans aside, I’m surprised some ‘patriot’ hasn’t already tried to ‘bring Ngo to heel’ ‘in the name of the Archon(-Prince)’.  Her way of doing business is death on the established business-practices of at least 80% of the biggest ‘loyal servants of Tharkad’.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #903 on: 14 January 2020, 20:28:53 »
that's why i figure him giving her the whole region to manage is him wanting her to cut out that deadweight. then he can point to the Kowloon region of the Lyran state as an example of good management and start working on reforms across the lyran and davion states using policies she proved work.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #904 on: 14 January 2020, 22:17:50 »
that's why i figure him giving her the whole region to manage is him wanting her to cut out that deadweight. then he can point to the Kowloon region of the Lyran state as an example of good management and start working on reforms across the lyran and davion states using policies she proved work.
  It’s a wonderful ideal to work towards, but I think you miss my point.  Victor can campaign for reform all he likes, Liz can be his shining example of the benefits of integrity and good management, but in the end they’re both trying to fix a system that will actively resist being fixed, because too many people with too much power will profit too much by keeping it busted and will lose too much if it gets fixed.

LordsFire

• Recruit
« Reply #905 on: 14 January 2020, 22:38:11 »
  It’s a wonderful ideal to work towards, but I think you miss my point.  Victor can campaign for reform all he likes, Liz can be his shining example of the benefits of integrity and good management, but in the end they’re both trying to fix a system that will actively resist being fixed, because too many people with too much power will profit too much by keeping it busted and will lose too much if it gets fixed.

Painful fact of life there. Humans aren't basically good, we're basically conflicted between good and evil, and when you have enough power to start protecting yourself from the consequences of your actions, the reward stimulus for being selfishly evil becomes harder to resist.

When the person in power didn't just seek it out for selfish reasons in the first place.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #906 on: 14 January 2020, 22:52:15 »
There are two other factors at play as well.

1.  What works for Kowloon may not work for many other worlds.

2.  Even when making the smart moves the economy has a nasty tendency of not always working as intended by introducing different problems.  Especially if you rush it.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #907 on: 14 January 2020, 22:58:10 »
Dim Lap Village, Highway One, Kowloon...

Well, the weather was nice-if you like forty degrees celsius with 110% humidity under a double sun.  'seriousness' is a relative concept.  Binary command and Trinary Sweep, (aka the command binary and the second Trinary) of Beta Galaxy were very serious, even solemn about it on arrival, only to find circus tents, a beer-garden drinking area, children playing in a supervised artificial lagoon just off the river, rope swings, and barbecue puts going with live music.

and a circus.

well, live entertainments, anyway.

"I believe she is not taking this matter seriously, quineg?"  Morgan Icaza noted.

"oh, I am certain she is serious about not taking it seriously." Nathan replied, "our best counter, is to enjoy ourselves in spite of her implied insult, it will drive the little harridan up a wall. besides, a little break from the drudgery is good."

he stopped the column at the border.  "Listen up, warriors.  they are attempting a psychological operation, they believe by treating this as a...circus, a non-serious situation, that they will inflame or enrage you into doing something stupid.  Duchess Ngo does not respect the Clans as anything more than over-serious, humorless, walking killing machines.  In her eyes, you are less human than the Cylons, yes, this in front of you is a provocation, intended to taunt you into doing something that will give an excuse for retaliation.  an attempt to get you to do something that will bring dishonor on the clan by exposing civilians to unplanned, uncontrolled violence on our part.  The warrior that falls for this trap, will answer to me.  You are ordered to enjoy a good time.  be friendly, charming, engaging.  confine the violence to the trial floor.  she thinks you are sour, humorless, joyless oafs.  you are ordered to correct that impression.  They want to make this a party, we will party harder than they can even concieve. Am I understood?"

over the channel, the response was positive.

"alright, Let's go show them a good time."

"you really think that will work? Ordering the warriors to have a good time?" Morgan asked on a subchannel.

"it better. you saw the trap here, we both did, an overreaction here will only make the Clans as a whole, our whole culture, look like a negative stereotype."

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #908 on: 15 January 2020, 00:16:16 »
  Cue the soundtrack by Andrew W.K....

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #909 on: 15 January 2020, 00:25:26 »
Mid Day

"It's TIME!!"  Elizabeth announced, standing on a stepladder in the middle of the contest field.  She wore her typical black suit.  Nathan walked over, the three-step put her at eye level.

"Duchess." he said.  According to the rules of the contest, the fighters had to strip to the waist to prove nobody was wearing padding.

"Well, almost time." she amended. "gotta let the spectators get in place. Your guys ready?"

"We are." he said.

she did a quick head-count.  "alright, my first heat's almost ready."  she stepped down off the stool, and began taking her jacket off.

"um, what are you doing?" Nathan asked.

"I make it a rule not to ask anyone to do something I'm not willing to do if I'm able." she told him, handing her suit jacket and tie to one of her Cylons.

"You can not be serious, my 'team' are warriors." he said.

"I order people into battle, If I'm not willing to fight, what good am I?" she asked, unbuttoning her blouse.  "Hmmm?"

she stripped the blouse off to a few scattered cheers from the audience. 

"But...your dignity-you're not-"

she took her bra off. and motioned for her team to line up.  "Get in position, Nathan Roshak." she said, "I might lose this heat, but I'm damned if I sit by while my people get hurt."

at this distance, her collection of scars was impressive.  Nathan knew about the gunshot scar-that one had been in her file.  some of the others were clearly things not discussed where the Watch could find them.

"I have reach on you." he said.

"I have tenacity." she said.

He shook his head, "Star captain Shelby Falcon, swap with me."

"you're putting me in a fight with my brother's Girlfriend??"

"We broke up."

"Yeah, I get that!"

The signal, and the fight began.

The thing about bare-knuckle boxing, is that you can't put as much force into the punch, not because of what it does to your opponent-but rather, what the lack of gloves or hand protection does to your hand.

In the interstellar recognized (and often illegal in more sensible places) sport of Stenka na Stenku (a sport first evolved in medieval russia), kicks are also not allowed.  The League is mostly recognized in the Rassalhague and Tamar regions, or on worlds with large russian presence, but it is a fairly popular 'blue collar' sport (if you can call it that) along the Periphery.

it is a team sport.  even numbers of combatants are ranked against each other, as combatants fall, they are disqualified, and their opponent can then (by the RULES) join in to assist the teammate to one side or the other.   this continues until one team or the other gives up, or until one side has had all participants knocked out of the fight.

Shelby was finding her opponent, the Duchess of Kowloon, remarkably hard to knock down considering the smaller, civilian woman was smaller, and a civilian.

it was a bit like discovering the weakling does not feel pain, and doesn't understand that full-strength punches can break finger bones-when the smaller woman's punches landed, they really hurt.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #910 on: 15 January 2020, 00:34:01 »
[out of story] Snow's so bad they closed Boeing! I have all night now.[/i]

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #911 on: 15 January 2020, 00:45:28 »
continued

"you know-" Shelby blocked and deflected another inexpertly thrown punch, only to have a very well placed jab come up under her left breast. "Ugh! He went back for you."

"Funny..." Elizabeth seemed to just absorb the retaliatory blows, not even bothering with blocks. "he almost went back because of you."

Shelby delivered a left hook that rocked elizabeth's stance.  The duchess charged forward, body-slamming into the 'mechwarrior and absorbing the string of blows.  in the temporary clinch, Liz hissed, "I don't get it, the phones work and you never call."

Shelby grabbed her long hair, and pulled her off, temporarily.  "He left me!!"

Liz twisted and kept attacking, "YOU LET HIM!!"

and the two of them were rolling on the ground, all rules out the window.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #912 on: 15 January 2020, 01:00:59 »
"Should we break that up and let Her Grace know this heat is over?"  Chief Kam Nguyen asked, helping Nathan to his feet.

"Hm...yes, that may be a good idea...you know, putting those two in the same room might have been a poor idea..." he drew in a breath, "Star Captain SHELBY! front and center!! Disengage!"

both women looked up.

"This phase is over." Nathan said, "go get cleaned up."  He turned to the Chief, "good fight."

"You too, you know each round is punctuated with a drink."

"I am familiar..."

"see you in the beer garden then."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #913 on: 15 January 2020, 02:10:10 »
Late evening...

By the end of the Third heat, it was pretty obvious why Elizabeth chose this as the contest.  The sheer amount of alchohol consumed by the contestants was a powerful force multiplier-Clan Warriors might drink in moderation, but fully half the sport is focused around the inter-fight drinking contests, and today was spectacularly warm.

Dehydration and lack of alcohol tolerance crippled the function of the Clan warriors far more than the Kowloonese Marines, resulting in a narrow win in the main trial despite the superior training and physical bodies of the Jade Falcons.

the 'bonus contest', however, went straight to the Jade Falcon side of the ledger.  Morgan Icaza managed to out-punch a Cylon Centurion in the ring, winning back some of the lost honor from the rest losing what amounted to a drunken brawl.

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #914 on: 15 January 2020, 02:21:04 »
In some cases this story just gets very silly to say the least. Everyone got to see the success topless now at least.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #915 on: 15 January 2020, 03:06:28 »
Sunday Morning...

"Savashri...what was in that stuff?" Nathan Roshak groaned as daylight streamed through a guesthouse window.

"nmmmph. snake wine, I think..."

He almost leapt out of bed at being answered.

"OH SHIT!!! What happened last night?"  Elizabeth grabbed the sheets and did jump backward.

He looked down to make sure he was intact before answering.  "I forget everything after the bonfire, I swear."

"Did I..? did you?"

"I do not think so..?"

something in her expression changed, and nathan looked down.  parallel scratches down his sides.  "I..."

"oh shit." Elizabeth looked like she was going to throw up, and then, she leaned over and puked into the trashcan.  "oh for ******'s sake.." she moaned, "I did. did we at least use protection?"

bits and pieces started coming together for him.  "I..."

"Oh gawd."

"um, I think it was...memorable?" he asked.

"quit it, you're no good at making nice." she got up.  "I knew the first time was supposed to be awkward but shit. YOU??"

that stopped him mid movement, "That was...you've never coupled before??"

"No, Never." Liz snapped, "No time, right? okay? I've been busy. Jesus christ this is ****** up!!"

"Founders..never?"

"gee, calculate the goddam risks, Roshak! hellooo." she threw a pillow at him, "Pregnancy accelerates the syndrome's progress, ya get pregnant by having sex! Now either remember whether you used protection, or help me find the condom wrapper, you might've just ****** killed me!"

"Almost nobody gets pregnant the first time..."

"yeah? check your language, 'almost'."

He watched her trying to simultaneously search the pile of bedclothes.  then, he laughed.  "Contraceptive Implant."

"What?"

"The Eugenics program is just as concerned about accidents as you are. we all get a contraceptive implant when we contribute a giftake."

she stopped. "What about-"

"that's never an accident, Liz, thus why it is such a big social taboo for a trueborn to breed the natural way-you have to do it deliberately."

she stopped and regarded him.  "You got banged up pretty bad yesterday, I'm surprised you took advantage of me like that."

"I took hardly any injuries at all, this?" he gestured, "and the stripes you left on my back? absolute proof of who took advantage of who here! it feels like you took centimeters of skin off me in matching lines, and..." he pointed at his shoulder, "I can now confirm, you bite."

"uh..huh...shit..." she avoided the trash can and got to her feet.  "doesn't explain why you."

"Ditto." he said.

"Dibs on the first shower." she said, "And I need to brush my teeth.  now I guess I get the experience of the walk of shame."

"This is a compromising situation for both of us." he said.

"Then let's not get weird about it." Liz countered, "they can only blackmail you if you let them...." she reached up and booped his nose as she worked to the hotel room's bathroom, "Next time, we try it sober.  I want to remember it better."

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #916 on: 15 January 2020, 04:07:39 »
Nathan: So, there is going to be a next time, quiaff?  ;) ;)
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #917 on: 15 January 2020, 04:23:31 »
  I’m still hung up on ‘how the hell did he manage to out-punch a killer robot?’  OK, Centurions are more accustomed to using their claws for the whole ‘rip and tear’ shtick, but how the heck do you out-punch something made of metal without breaking your damn hands?

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #918 on: 15 January 2020, 04:48:10 »
You wrestle it to ground, grab the head and pound it into the ground until it ceases operating.
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #919 on: 15 January 2020, 04:49:27 »
An excellent question, as I'm pretty sure wrestling isn't in the rules... also, did Roshak really think she didn't bite?  ::)

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #920 on: 15 January 2020, 04:53:09 »
Liz only mentioned that there was no kicking in this type of fighting. I figure after that it is basically 'no rules barred' fighting. Is Icaza an Elemental or a Mechwarrior, I seem to have forgotten.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #921 on: 15 January 2020, 04:54:27 »
He's an elemental...

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #922 on: 15 January 2020, 04:57:14 »
Well, that definitely gave him a better chance of victory.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #923 on: 15 January 2020, 07:01:25 »
Nha Tranh University, School of Medicine...

Dr. Mai Huyn was working.  "no...that approach isn't working." she leaned back in her chair and cursed.

There was someone in her office. "Who the hell are you?"

"Etienne, lab name Balzac-"

"Like the Neurologist?"

The obese man's eye lit up, "You're familiar!"

"Of course I'm familiar with Balzac's work, I'm treating a Cholmann's patient!"  she shoved a pile of papers aside, "Thus far, it's been useless except to tell me what hasn't worked!  There's bloody little record of his clinical research and most of the sod-ridden rotting published work he did is referenced for Neurohelmets, but in his day, he was one of the leading researchers involved in identifying and classifying the syndrome..."

his features lost their glee, "oh...well, this is embarrassing...I'm...this is a place of academic freedom, quiaff?"

and it was her turn to be surprised, "Oh my...you're one of those Clanner scientists, aren't you? you're certainly not what I expected.  You're here, so I assume you've begun putting your research proposals together, and need help getting laboratory equipment?  You'll probably need to see Natalie over in Grants and Funding-"

"is everything here so...chaotic?" he asked, "No assigments, no directives?"

"Well, We all have our duties.  I teach three classes a week this semester for the pre-medical students, and of course I've got the midterms to grade, and naturally, there's my active duty time in the Coast Guard...but yes, in terms of research, you submit your proposal, apply for a budget, and post your results to the Journals along with your methodology.  I suppose you can review other researchers' work and papers...but peer review gets dull."

"is nobody just...given an assignment?"

"We call them 'Graduate Students'." Mai said semi-humorously, "or underclassmen."

"and there are no limits to what can be researched?" he asked.

Mai shrugged, "As long as you publish your methodology and a clear abstract on what you're working on? no, not really.  If you want to keep secrets, now, you're in the wrong place."

This flummoxed him, "ar you serious? no secrecy??"

"Secrecy is the bane of science." Mai said, "You can't do good science if you're afraid of criticism or having your results challenged by other researchers, um what do I call you, do they even have Doctoral degrees in the Clans?"

"So...everything here, is just left out for the general public?? anything can be published?"

"Anything.  expect to be challenged on your results and your hypotheses." Mai told him, "You didn't read the dedication plaque at the entrance to the campus, did you?"

"No.." he confessed.

Mai cleared her throat, "It's something Elizabeth said more than once when she was pushing the conversion of this site into a university. 'We have lost so much knowledge we don't even have names for what has been forgotten-this must never happen again'. She believes it." Mai laid a hand on her terminal, "Case in point, nobody kept your ah..'namesake's' clinical work intact.  What's your field, Etienne?"

"I'm..I was the pre-eminent Geneticist for Clan Jade Falcon, the Scientist General for the Clan.  I'm...really rather disappointed you have not heard of me."

"Your lot don't publish anywhere I would have heard of you." she answered, "The Clans aren't exactly known for their enthusiastic sharing of information.  so are you looking for a chair in the microbiology department?  Bioweapons clean-up?"

"Genetic science is more than making weaponized organisms." he huffed.

"Quite...You don't strike me as being much of a clinician.  More of a Theorist.  I guess that means finding you a lab and a staff.  I'll give Leon a call and he can set you up."

"but you have a case."

"Yes, I am a clinician, and I have a patient, and my patient is dying and I can't seem to find a way to stop that, or even make it less unbearable for her. Now if you will be so kind as to close the door on your way to the Dean's office, I have a powerful lot of work to be do-"

He pushed past her and looked at the charts.  "This." he tapped the chart, "Is my preferred field of study-not even the Coyotes have found a cure for it."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #924 on: 15 January 2020, 07:10:22 »
[out of story]

Balzac's great flaw (at least in the Sarna Wiki entry) is vanity.  he's just been told in no uncertain terms, that aside from being 'one of those Clanner scientists', he's an unknown, a virtual nobody.  Neither feared, nor respected, nor even disrespected.

I think to a man whose ambitions rose so high in The Society, this would be unbearable to him.  especially because of that.  He's realized that this exile, is effectively being dumped into true obscurity, and that, would be unbearable to him due to his ego.

so naturally, he's going to go for the thing that was hinted at, especially once he was told that there ARE no 'secret projects' at the University to spy on (depriving him of the cache and status as a secret agent.)

But this? this is something he can do to get that status and respect back.  Cure the Incurable, make "Etienne" the sort of name that some future Scientist Caste would choose for a Labname.  better than some half-forgotten obscurity like mere 'Balzac'.

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #925 on: 15 January 2020, 07:45:37 »
Funny thing for me, Balzac is a renown writer of novels and plays best known for ''the Human Comedy''. I wonder if the writers knew his opus or just chose the name at random.
« Last Edit: 15 January 2020, 08:10:29 by qc mech3 »

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #926 on: 15 January 2020, 08:06:33 »
They want to make this a party, we will party harder than they can even concieve. Am I understood?"
And upon that day was born the mighty Jade Falcon battle-cry, "TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!"
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #927 on: 15 January 2020, 08:14:08 »
Ia Drang Aerospace, Ia Drang Plateau...

"...well, you might try just picking one.  That's what she did-"  Brigham Levitt nodded to his assistant, Sharon Cobell. 

"just...any name?"

"Well, as long as you don't mind signing your paycheque with it for the rest of your life." Sharon said, "some of my sisters use Rockjack naming, you know, first name, place of origin, generation and birth order." she said.

"you're a humaniform cylon?" Hector (Wright) asked.

"Yeah." she smiled, "I am. You're one of the scientists whose release was secured down in Dim lap, right?"

"I...suppose so!" He smiled, "Any name though?  How about 'Wright'?"

"Sounds good.  The contract is five years, with a chance at renewal.  The R&D department is actually working new ground, some of the technologies we've developed and gained have applications the Cylons hadn't even considered, as a Research lead, you'll have to manage both theoretical work and interaction with outside scientists, including scientists and researchers working for Clan Wolverine.  I know there's some significant bad blood there, and if you find the interactions uncomfortable, we can put an administrator in the way for you."

"And...limitations?" he asked.

"Well, how good's your imagination?  a lot of the R&D department's budget is predicated on the idea that the R&D team's job isn't to ask 'why', but to ask 'why not', the engineering sub-department then tries to figure out how we can package and sell it as an application.  One of the latest big gigs going is actually based on the Blue Shield system used to protect the crowds on Solaris Seven, Francher thinks he can implement some of the things we're learning about how gravity can be manipulated to interact with the Blue Shield on a compact structure.  We're working that one with the Solaris Games commission and Nashan Enterprises."

"It should have some military application..."

Levitt laughed, "Tell that to the admiralty! hahah. no, until Francher's team has more than some whiteboards full of math and burned up prototypes, the military isn't interested-but some of the commercial shipbuilders are...and of course, the Coasties-but we're their prime contractor for a lot of equipment, and the Coast Guard might not be swimming in funds, but they're also not burdened with a lot of social generals who have ties to big, traditional corporations...now see, here? this is important, it's your benefit packages as contractor...you won't find a better suite of perks temping for anyone but maybe MissLiz herself..."

it wasn't until he was walking out into the light of Kowloon's double suns, that it really sank in for him.  I can go anywhere! the benefits packages and the payment were enticements, because they knew he could go anywhere to work.  No work assignment, no begging a Clan Council for dispensations, no having to manipulate some department head, no fearing for his life for speaking to someone from another Clan.

I can go anywhere I want!!

he paused mid-step.  anywhere I can afford.  But I suspect with my skills and knowledge, I can get that paid for as well.

He didn't need the Society to do it, or ask some geneticist who knew nothing about physics to do it. 

He was free.

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #928 on: 15 January 2020, 09:19:09 »
it wasn't until he was walking out into the light of Kowloon's double suns, that it really sank in for him.  I can go anywhere! the benefits packages and the payment were enticements, because they knew he could go anywhere to work.  No work assignment, no begging a Clan Council for dispensations, no having to manipulate some department head, no fearing for his life for speaking to someone from another Clan.

I can go anywhere I want!!

he paused mid-step.  anywhere I can afford.  But I suspect with my skills and knowledge, I can get that paid for as well.

He didn't need the Society to do it, or ask some geneticist who knew nothing about physics to do it. 

He was free.

And it was on this day that Nathan Roshak would record the beginning of the end of the Way of the Clans.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #929 on: 15 January 2020, 10:46:40 »
Nha Tranh, Kowloon...

"Margrave Ngo, you can't do this to me!"  Cartier Vincennes, the Duke of Hood IV, was aghast.

"I can, I will." she said, "We can do this the easy way-or, I can ask Generalleutnant Orsini to do it for me.  Your Militia budget will be audited, it will be audited by representatives appointed by me, they will find the waste, the fraud, and the abuse, and then, steps will be taken to remediate that problem, the question is not whether this will happen, the question is how much time I will have to waste before I begin removing the dead weight, dead wood, and corruption in order to facilitate the release of General Orsini's forces for other duties.  The longer it takes, the more likely said audit will be forwarded for action to Lohengrin."

"There is nothing to find!"

She leaped out of her chair, "DO NOT LIE TO ME!!" and grabbed the noble by his lapels, "I know how much it costs to build and maintain a reasonable force, Duke Orsini." she hissed, "I know this, because I have built one.  Your tax base generates eleven point one three trillion Kroner per annum, with a population base of one billion, six hundred million, three hundred and seventy three souls plus or minus fifteen percent at any given time.  I know how much you pay in food importation.  There is no excuse for your world to be unable to field an adequate defensive force up to the bare limit of the Militia Act, yet you struggle to maintain a single battalion of obsolete battlemechs and two battalions of tanks at a readiness level of less than fifty percent, your air wing is pathetic.  and all of this, on a budgeted five percent of your Gross Domestic product after taxation!!"

she released him, and dusted him off, "My military budget, including the Coast Guard and ground forces runs at two percent of Kowloon's collective GDP, Vincennes.  two percent, and our planetary GDP is lower than yours.  so I must ask, where is that money going?"

she folded her arms, "And the follow up questions, of course, are 'who am I going to need to replace?'  would you like to help me, or must I replace you as well?"

"I..."

"We will begin with the audit, after which, comes the reform package-your domestic force will be reviewed by AFFC officers from outside the Theater, in particular, units based on the Arc Royal front, with extensive experience combatting the Clans.  They will make recommendations, you will implement those recommendations, or your replacement will implement them, with a focus on training.  We will then re-tool your 'mech, vehicle, and conventional forces with a systematic focus on standardization and parts commonality, much of what I've seen on your official TO&E will be replaced with new equipment in better condition."

He blinked. This was new.  "New equipment? how will I pay for it!"

"after we have fixed your budget problem, that problem will be solved, in the short term, I am paying for it. Making me, your single largest creditor...you are aware of my attitude toward those who seek to embezzle from me, ja?"

He looked to his feet.

"Ah, what are you looking for?" she asked.

"Sheet plastic." he said nervously.

"Wise.  you understand perfectly. will that be all?"

"Yes Your Grace."

"Dismissed."

Register