Author Topic: Gun Kata Skill for AToW  (Read 3129 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Gun Kata Skill for AToW
« on: 04 October 2019, 18:44:28 »
Inspired by a comment from Cannonshop up in General Discussion down in Off Topic, I present my take on Gun Kata.  It's not just Small Arms anymore.

Gun Kata is a tiered skill, like Martial Arts.  Like Small Arms, at levels 0-3, it's based on DEX, but at levels 4 and above, it's based on DEX + RFL.  Gun Kata at the Basic Tier doesn't grant the ability to do anything "new", but does reduce penalties or increase bonuses for certain actions that may make it appear a character is rather more skilled than their level in Small Arms alone would indicate.  At level 4 and above, certain actions can benefit from a second Linked Attribute modifier, and characters with Prestidigitation/Quickdraw gain an additional benefit.  John Wick has 10 levels of course, along with 7s in DEX and RFL.

Gun Kata grants the following with regard to certain actions or conditions in Ranged Combat:

Careful Aim: +1 per three levels of Gun Kata, limited to the normal maximum of +3 at the Basic Tier.  At the Advanced Tier, the maximum increases by +1 for every three levels above 4 (i.e., +4 at level 7, +5 at level 10).  This bonus applies from the first round of Careful Aim, i.e., at level 3, the bonus after one round is +2, and +3 after two rounds (the maximum).  At level 6, the bonus would be +3 after one round, while at level 7, the bonus could reach +4 after two rounds.  Level 9 would grant +4 after one round, while level 10 would grant the full +5 after one round of Careful Aim.

Penalty Reduction for Attacker Movement: +1 per every three full levels of Gun Kata, i.e., at level 3 (equivalent), no penalty for walking.  For this calculation, modify the levels of Gun Kata by the applicable Linked Attribute modifiers.

Penalty Reduction for Attacker Encumbrance: +1 per every four full levels of Gun Kata, i.e., at level 4 (equivalent), no penalty for light encumbrance.  For this calculation, modify the levels of Gun Kata by the applicable Linked Attribute modifiers.

Penalty Reduction for Off-Hand use: +1 at level 0, i.e., level 0 Gun Kata grants the ability to use the other hand without penalty.

Penalty Reduction for Aimed Shots: +1 per every five full levels of Gun Kata, i.e., at level 5 (equivalent), only -1 for a called shot to the chest.  For this calculation, modify the levels of Gun Kata by the applicable Linked Attribute modifiers.

Penalty Reduction for Friendly in Melee with Target: +1 per every six full levels of Gun Kata, i.e., at level 6 (equivalent), only -1.  For this calculation, modify the levels of Gun Kata by the applicable Linked Attribute modifiers.

Penalty Reduction for Burst Fire: +1 per every two full levels of Gun Kata.

Penalty Reduction for Suppression Fire: +1 at level 1 of Gun Kata, i.e., no penalty with one or more levels of skill.

Penalty Reduction for Indirect Fire (with or without spotter): +1 per every five full levels of Gun Kata.  For this calculation, modify the levels of Gun Kata by the applicable Linked Attribute modifiers.

Penalty Reduction for Snap Shooting (from the Companion): +1 per every three full levels of Gun Kata.

Further, at level 4 Gun Kata, a character with Prestidigitation/Quickdraw also at level 4 reduces the "Load Weapon" Simple Action to a Free Action.
« Last Edit: 04 October 2019, 19:02:43 by Daryk »

Ogra_Chief

• Warrant Officer
Re: Gun Kata Skill for AToW
« Reply #1 on: 05 October 2019, 03:31:40 »
Reference: Equilibrium (points if you know this movie already).

See: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0238380/

I wholeheartedly support this addition to BT lore.  :thumbsup:
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 05 October 2019, 07:25:21 »
Thanks!  That trailer looks interesting, but I can see why it was direct to DVD...

Ogra_Chief

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 05 October 2019, 07:55:37 »
Actually I think you'll find the movie well done and a top rated B movie in the vein of the Matrix. Also, the movie will perfectly illustrate what you are proposing. The action sequences are excellent.
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 05 October 2019, 08:05:32 »
No argument on its quality at all, just its marketability...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2020, 13:54:01 »
I just added a new Infantry SPA in one of my other threads.  "From the Hip" would require 3 levels of Gun Kata (in addition to its other prerequisites) if this skill is in play.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2021, 15:27:04 »
It's almost a year late, but I should mention that a character cannot have more levels in Gun Kata than they have in Small Arms.