Author Topic: Operation Revival Omnimech Review: Stormcrow (Ryoken)  (Read 25062 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Operation Revival Omnimech Review: Stormcrow (Ryoken)
« Reply #30 on: 24 March 2015, 22:41:40 »
Maybe it's called that because it's going to punch your ticket.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 25 March 2015, 00:29:09 »
Maybe it's called that because it's going to punch your ticket.
I was above that joke. :p

But since the DCMS also had the Hagetaka (vulture), I thought another animal-inspired name, especially one fitting the Stormcrow as well as ryouken (it's not the dopey Looney Tunes kind of hunting dog; it's the kind that courses you to death slowly, never stopping its howling as you bleed out over the winter snow trying to escape).

The only problem with submitting it as errata is - "YOU WANNA CHANGE ONE STINKIN' LETTER IN A NAME AFTER TWENTY YEARS?!" I mean, gee, the only time it's been mildly embarrassing is a long time ago when a mecha-obsessed Japanese buddy asked me if the name of this interesting design was, "Seriously, passport?"

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #32 on: 25 March 2015, 01:09:40 »
To be fair to the writers: the online translate I looked up also read 'Daishi' as 'Cardboard' rather than Great Death. The Kanji in a Japaneses name apparently can make a big difference that's not always translated to English. 

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 25 March 2015, 06:15:27 »
Well, take comfort in that asian words simply aren't meant to be romanised, so a lot of force fitting is expected.

The Stormcrow Prime is a great generalist for striker / cavalry units. Too bad it looks quite ugly in the PC games.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 25 March 2015, 19:03:10 »
To be fair to the writers: the online translate I looked up also read 'Daishi' as 'Cardboard' rather than Great Death. The Kanji in a Japaneses name apparently can make a big difference that's not always translated to English.
We-ell... it's a compound word, which isn't used outside of Battletech - you'd have to look up "Dai" and "Shi" by themselves to find it. From the "let's make a compound word!" angle, "ken" is a strong contender (can mean "sword," "The Way of" as in official samurai and Zen stuff, and "fist" has an archaic reading that comes out "ken" like Street Fighter's Shoryuken), but "ryo"...

There are two kanji read as "ryo" by themselves (instead of as part of a word, like "ryoken"), both of which are EXTREMELY archaic (hell, I didn't know about either of them!) but there's a whole HOST of "ryou" kanji to pick from. There are... well, OK, there are ways to find "ryo" in words that come out to "strength", but you'd have to know enough Japanese to realize that a word which comes out to "Way of Strength" or "Strength Sword" sounds just as dumb about 'Mechs in Japanese as it does in English.

Possible "ryou" kanji to pick from a dictionary include such goodies as "Hunt" (but not "TO hunt") and "Dragon". Making a compound word from the kanji for "Dragon Sword" sounded a bit too complimentary from the DCMS, and you sure as hell can't hunt with a sword!

That's why I think they looked up something like hound dog or hunting dog, found it romanized as either "ryooken" or "ryƶken" (both legit ways dictionaries used and still use to represent the long o sound), and simplified the name. Absent an actual writer's note like the ones for Hagetaka, Daishi, and Koshi, or actually convincing the writer to remember something he did a quarter of a century ago to fill a deadline, though, we won't know.

....This... really makes it seem like I spent a lot of time thinking about it, doesn't it? I haven't, really! Only about 15-20 minutes when my hikkokimori buddy asked me about it and we decided where it had come from, and maybe 45 minutes on these posts about it.

Uh, yeah. The Stormcrow is friggin' awesome. I hope that, for my birthday this Saturday, I'll have money to buy one for my Ghost Bears Cluster  - definitely gonna mod it as running, but I'm not sure what variant I'll mod it AS. It's definitely going into the Nova, as its speed and armor makes it perfect for ferrying Bearhunter Gnomes into the middle of an enemy formation.

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 28 March 2015, 07:35:03 »
I love this medium weight monster.  on of my ghost bear stars has 2.  My currenrtly under construction jade falcons field one.
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #36 on: 29 June 2018, 12:45:39 »
I do have a request: I've been trying to create a Alpha Strike version of the Ryoken with a custom configuration: 5 ER Medium Lasers, 1 ton Targeting Computer, 1 TAG module, 2 pod-mounted DHS, 1 Arrow IV system (with 2 tons of ammo). What would the damage, heat, Overheat values be? Would the armor and structure values change too? The A-IV and ammo would be mounted in the Left arm... any help would be greatly appreciated...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #37 on: 29 June 2018, 13:21:12 »
Custom mech discussions should be taken to the Fan Designs board.  The mods get twitchy if we discuss them other places.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Register