Author Topic: Kampfgruppe Steiner Operation: Götterdämmerung or how we survived the Dark Age.  (Read 75753 times)

Angrii

• Sergeant
Agreed, and remember the Jade Falcons did capture a few sibkos of Ghost Bear troops so hopefully whoever writes their future does just wash away the Ghost Bear influence and make them all hard core Jade Falcons.  However the fact that a warrior even suggested that a freeborn could get a Bloodname shows how much the attitude towards freeborns have shifted.

I'd actually rather like to see the influx of young Bears create a new culture for the Falcons. It would be rather boring to see them revert to their lawful stupid, hardliner mentality of the pre-Mongol era. Jiyi's willingness to think outside the box, use subterfuge, and respect Freeborns and lower castes gives me hope we'll see something completely new and compelling, from a story point of view. I'd love to actually want to root for the Falcons for once...
Welcome to interesting times

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
I'd actually rather like to see the influx of young Bears create a new culture for the Falcons. It would be rather boring to see them revert to their lawful stupid, hardliner mentality of the pre-Mongol era. Jiyi's willingness to think outside the box, use subterfuge, and respect Freeborns and lower castes gives me hope we'll see something completely new and compelling, from a story point of view. I'd love to actually want to root for the Falcons for once...

Yeah, we've already got the Falcons on Terra to do the whole stick-up-the-butt lawful stupid old school Falcons routine.  Not much point in Jiyi's Falcons existing if they're just going to do the exact same thing.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
The two Elements of Treason books did an effective job of making sympathetic cases for both the new Tamar Pact and the Vesper Marches. I went into both viewing the protagonists as traitors to their nation and oaths, which they are, but could not help but come to feel they had points to their actions. Which is, admittedly, what these books are really designed to do.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Guess I need to read Elements of Treason, now.  I get all my information from sourcebooks.  On that note...

Revealed in the new novel A Question of Survival.  I had the same reaction regarding how out-of-character it was for the Bears and the Rasalhagians.  My spoilered take and more discussion here:

Anyone know when we get Dominion Divided?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
"Soon."  Catalyst never gives out more info than that until the book's in the warehouse.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Rainbow 6

• Captain
The two Elements of Treason books did an effective job of making sympathetic cases for both the new Tamar Pact and the Vesper Marches. I went into both viewing the protagonists as traitors to their nation and oaths, which they are, but could not help but come to feel they had points to their actions. Which is, admittedly, what these books are really designed to do.

Ruger

Need to add them to my to buy list then, anyone think that the Tamar Pact and Vesper Marches will come back to the Commonwealth peacefully?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Unlikely.  But it doesn't seem like either one is going to be wiped out in the near future, either.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
Where'd you find that at?  A Ghost Bear civil war would be...a surprise, considering how much of the Clan is around the idea of family and unity.

The best source is "Dominions Divided", as it goes into this (nonsensical and stupid, IMO) conflict in great detail.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

CJC070

• Lieutenant
Need to add them to my to buy list then, anyone think that the Tamar Pact and Vesper Marches will come back to the Commonwealth peacefully?

I say yes but that question relies on the writer and developers in the future right now.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant

I would assume that the Vesper Marches will get the Hammer: an object lesson to all other breakaway states what will happen. Then they follow up with negotiations perhaps offering great autonomy or something like that.
In essence a repeat of what Adam Steiner went  through with bringing rebellious Archonettes back into the fold though with bigger risks

Minemech

• Captain
 Some wars of Succession may be in the works. I could see some states trying to overpower Donegal, when they get the power to.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
Tamar, not Donegal.

And I certainly hope that TPTB can do better than "the hammer drops on the breakaway states and they're forced back into the fold", but I don't expect that level of creativity.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
I think Tamar and the Commonwealth come up with some kind of arrangement that lets both of them save face. It'll be worded in such a way that Tharkad can say Tamar is still Lyran, and Tamar can say Tharkad has recognized their government. They'll keep using the same money, rank structure and such to present the appearance of unity to outside nations. But I don't think anyone else gets a sweet deal like that except maybe the AML.

The writers aren't even pretending Arc-Royal is a separate state, so I'm not going to either. One way or another the beef will get squashed and Callandre becomes Margrave of Arc-Royal, going from Mid Career Morgan Kell where she is now (running an autonomous region of Lyran space denoted by being a slightly different color) to Late Career Morgan Kell (important political figure within the system).

The Vesper Marches are going to make like Neo-Tokyo and *E*X*P*L*O*D*E* once those worlds that thought they were rejoining the LC find out that they didn't. One of them is Gareth Dinesen's world, just to add a little more spice to that mix.

The AML, though, they're going to be more than capable of working out a pleasant status quo with the Lyrans, given that the alternative is the Horses, who are gonna take one look at their Chalcas asses and try to put a boot up them.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

BrianDavion

• Captain
regarding Tamar, the most likely way is that Tamar will end up being reckongized as a "semi-autonomous realm within the LC" allowing TPTB in the long term to ressurect the concept of the Tamar pack (and the federation of Skye) as genuine "marches" of the LyrCom
The Suns will shine again

• Captain
Print off a copy of the Arc-Royal Accords

Cross out the words "Arc-Royal" or "Wolf" and replace them with "Arcturus" and "Tamar."

That's it, you're done. The legal framework has been around for a century.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
Print off a copy of the Arc-Royal Accords

Cross out the words "Arc-Royal" or "Wolf" and replace them with "Arcturus" and "Tamar."

That's it, you're done. The legal framework has been around for a century.

I was gonna say we have a precedent for this. It was also the ground Robert Kelswa Steiner tried to increase his Isle of skye's autonomy when Peter ruled. Feels almost like the Commonwealth might revert to what the Great Houses were during the Age of War: a collection of more or less autonomous regions. After all we don't have instant communications (with a few exceptions) so the local rulers will have more authority without their big boss breathing down their neck

• Captain
That's the whole idea behind the system of Margraves as well. Your theater commanders have the power to launch military campaigns on their own authority and can assume temporary rulership of any civilian government they see fit for the duration of the crisis.

Minemech

• Captain
 An old Battletech trope was how a few malcontent planetary nobles could through their own concoctions could easily undermine the designs of a Successor Lord. Greed and foppish impolitic might be involved.

Register