Author Topic: The future of "A Time of War"  (Read 50708 times)

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
The future of "A Time of War"
« on: 26 September 2019, 10:12:15 »
After some of the things I have heard and seen out of CGL in the last couple of weeks I have to ask What is the future of A Time of War.
As a RPGer who mostly plays Alpha Strike and Battleforce for my boardgaming, most of what I need to play is already out.
CGL has been so closed lipped about what the plans are for AToW that I'm starting to wounder if there are any.

The thing is that AToW has effective been out-of-print (OOP) for a long time now, and as some posters have brought up, this has lead to less interest and a harder time drawing in new players due to the lack of physical product.

I feel that CGL really needs to step-forward and give a plan for this line before it dies completely.
They either need to;
1. Admit it is dead and they have no intentions of reviving it outside of the PDF, and only support MW:D fully.
2. Move forward with the reprint adding in the errata and be done with it.
3. Say that they plan to revise it and start work on that showing its not just lip-service to facilitate the first two options.
4. Announce plans for a new edition and be open and transparent about the system and what they are trying to do so we don't wind-up with another SR 6th.

As it stands the "will think about it later" answer is getting old considering how long the game has been ignored and OOP.

I would really like to know were this is heading because if one of the first two option is the case I can move on and just house rule the game and fix the issues I have on my own.
If it's the third option I truly hope that they will work with the fans to make the game work.
If the last option is were they are going to go, My hope is that they will go with a true beta and be transparent with the fans of other editions so again we can work towards the best outcome.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2019, 10:14:27 by victor_shaw »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: The future of "A Time of War"
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2019, 15:41:08 »
I haven't seen the "will think about it later" response... where was that?

What I remember from the Kickstarter was that "AToW will continue to be supported" (it was a post on these boards).  Of course, that implies that it's supported now, which can be debated.

Having just refreshed my general dislike for narrative systems last night, I sincerely hope it's not going to be option 1.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2019, 15:54:56 »
I haven't seen the "will think about it later" response... where was that?

What I remember from the Kickstarter was that "AToW will continue to be supported" (it was a post on these boards).  Of course, that implies that it's supported now, which can be debated.

Having just refreshed my general dislike for narrative systems last night, I sincerely hope it's not going to be option 1.

Direct quote from CGL in response to my question about the future of AToW.

"So for now ATOW will wait until we have the MWD Beta out and feedback from the community on what was liked and what needs reworked. Once we have a good feel for MWD, we will revisit ATOW." Catalyst Game

Now after some thought this is indicating to me that
1 or 4 are the most likely outcome, with 2 as a possibility because I'm not sure if this is indicating them see if MW:Destiny does well enough for them to drop AToW.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2019, 15:57:22 by victor_shaw »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2019, 15:58:02 »
That's... far more depressing than what was said here...  xp

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2019, 16:03:41 »
That's... far more depressing than what was said here...  xp
?
What I said, or what they said was more depressing?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2019, 16:04:33 »
What they said...

Dahmin_Toran

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2019, 19:07:21 »
ATOW and ATOW Companion are pretty much complete as a system as it is. You can play in just about era with those two books. What do you really need other than those two books other than adventures?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 26 September 2019, 19:09:33 »
I'd kill for a 3025 sourcebook so I can stop having to adapt ER: 3052...

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 26 September 2019, 19:16:36 »
ATOW and ATOW Companion are pretty much complete as a system as it is. You can play in just about era with those two books. What do you really need other than those two books other than adventures?

The issues was never the setting or the completeness of the two books.
The issues are the books have not been available in print for a long time now. and There are issues that need to be resolved with the character creation system and some of other rules.
No one is saying we need more books, we just need the books in the first place.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2019, 22:07:54 »
I'd kill for a 3025 sourcebook so I can stop having to adapt ER: 3052...

Might be easier to adapt ER2750 :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 27 September 2019, 03:33:29 »
I'd rather not have to adapt either one, but that's a side issue to what Victor_Shaw would like to discuss.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 27 September 2019, 06:37:45 »
Yeah, I have no idea why with the HBS game and Destiny being 3025, why an Era Report for 3025 wasn't released to prime the pump for 3025 play.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 27 September 2019, 15:24:19 »
That's beginning to sound a lot like a fan project...  ::)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #13 on: 27 September 2019, 15:33:01 »
No one is saying we need more books, we just need the books in the first place.

As far as I can tell, there have been no changes to plans for re-printing all core books with the new retro art and MadCat spine art.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 27 September 2019, 19:05:28 »
As far as I can tell, there have been no changes to plans for re-printing all core books with the new retro art and MadCat spine art.

The revision idea is from one of the freelance writers that worked on the book talking about changing the Field system to a set number instead of having the players calculate it.
It's entirely possible that he was just talking about changes he would like to make and not planned changes, and a little wishful thinking on my part.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 27 September 2019, 19:10:25 »
I think leaving the Field System in player hands is fine... It's only a little extra math, and provides a great deal of flexibility.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 27 September 2019, 19:17:46 »
I think leaving the Field System in player hands is fine... It's only a little extra math, and provides a great deal of flexibility.

Yeah, but it gets a lot of flak from players as unnecessary math.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 27 September 2019, 19:20:31 »
Only those who don't appreciate the flexibility.  If we ever get another Intelligence Operations Handbook, that flexibility will be needed...

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #18 on: 28 September 2019, 09:00:10 »
A game I need a spreadsheet to make a character for needs much more company support to be workable that we have seen for ATOW.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 28 September 2019, 10:10:40 »
I wouldn't say "need"... while it's MUCH easier with one than without, it can be done by hand.

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #20 on: 28 September 2019, 10:42:38 »
I did mine with pencil and paper. Once you get used to the layout and figure out where everything is it is not to bad. This is why you have people calling for it to be reorganized and streamlined.
« Last Edit: 28 September 2019, 10:44:26 by Robroy »

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Dahmin_Toran

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 28 September 2019, 10:52:54 »
I did mine with pencil and paper. Once you get used to the layout and figure out where everything is it is not to bad. This is why you have people calling for it to be reorganized and streamlined.

True, but it is not a "pick up and go" system.

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #22 on: 28 September 2019, 11:04:01 »
True, but I don't think it was ever ment to be. Almost every RPG I ever played the first session was building characters and what kind of game the GM had in mind, and if we had time, bring the party together. The only times I did "pick up games" the GMs had pre-generated characters.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 28 September 2019, 11:10:05 »
That's the general model of convention games, the "living worlds" aside.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #24 on: 28 September 2019, 11:21:44 »
I don't know about it not being a pick up and go type of game as I've done point buy characters using only pencil and paper in as little as ten minutes not counting equipment shopping.

Module it depends on how many modules we're talking but Affiliation, five modules(counting OCS), and once again not counting equipment shopping I've been done in about thirty minutes using only pencil and paper.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 28 September 2019, 13:13:15 »
I've gone over my issues with AToW many time, but here we go again.  :'(
AToW corebook
1. While not a terrible system (I've see a lot worst) the life path system:
a. Has more number crunching then it needs to be.
b. Is way to generic in the later paths to effectively cover the diversity of the setting.
c. Waste to many points on on under pointed traits/skills/etc. Why bother giving "Fit" 15 when it takes 200 points to get the trait?
d. Makes players calculate fields that could have easily had set point values.
2. The skill system has to many level of skills that all use different formulas.
3. The layout of the book is atrocious
4. The book waste to much page count on filler

AToW Companion
1. Eight pages of wasted space on conversions of all editions that could have been a PDF.
2. The book waste to much page count on filler.
3. The advance melee rules are great in the maneuvers presented, but the lack of setup Martial Arts packages make is seem incomplete and generic.
4. Twelve pages of rank tables, Really!
5. ADVANCED TACTICAL COMBAT is both to in dept and lacking important information.

Both
Same issues I have with most CGL products Charts/Character sheets (back of book) should be PDF and not taking up page count.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 28 September 2019, 14:16:38 »
The system might have "more number crunching than it needs", but I think it works on balance.

The filler issue is why I think the later life paths are so generic.  Those pages could easily have been spent on giving us faction flavored Academies, Tours of Duty, etc.

I see the small amounts of XP thrown at various expensive traits as simply a way to get the player to consider buying the Trait later.  I think this is a great idea, and helps make more diverse characters in the end.

Fields are presented in a way that lets GMs make their own easily (just count up the number of skills you want a field to have, and give a rebate based on that number).  That is nothing but pure win in my book.

I'm not sure what you mean by "too many level of skills that use different formulas"... Are you talking about the Simple/Complex//Basic/Advanced construct?  The differentiation is actually not that hard to understand.  Or are you talking about Tiered Skills specifically?  I fear this issue inevitably leads to the "2d6 isn't granular enough for an RPG" discussion.

I can't disagree about the layout.  It could use some (ok, a LOT of) work.

I already addressed "filler", and am in complete agreement.  If a company really feels a need to include fiction in a RULE book, one story per book makes a heck of a lot more sense than one story per CHAPTER.

I can see why eight pages were given to conversion rules in the Companion.  Given the fiction/filler problem, I really can't see this meriting mention.

I agree Martial Arts could have used more work.  But I'm not unhappy with what it got.

Like the conversion rules, I can see 12 pages for rank tables for that "faction flavor" we all seem to want.  Could it have been presented more efficiently?  Probably.

Your issues with Advanced Tactical Combat really need to be explained in more detail.  I have no idea what you find inappropriate about them.  ???

As far as character sheets, they really need to be in the book.  Like it or not, not everyone who can obtain a hard copy can use a pdf (for an uncountable number of reasons).  Completeness alone demands the sheet be in the book.  Should sheets be included in digital versions of the book as separate documents?  Absolutely!  And yes, they should be available as free downloads too.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #27 on: 28 September 2019, 16:03:39 »
With regard to the four types of skills, AToW page 141 has this:
COMPLEXITY RATING
The second half of the TN / C Rating, a Skill’s Complexity Rating is a two-letter code that reflects how involved the Skill is in terms of physical action or concentration and training. A Skill’s action rating can be Simple (S) or Complex (C), while its training rating can be Basic (B) or Advanced (A). For example, a Skill with a “CB” Complexity Rating is “Complex-Basic”.
Action Rating: Skills with a Simple action rating (SB or SA) may be executed quickly and with little conscious thought.  Complex Skills (CB or CA) are more involved and take more time and concentration to perform.
Training Rating: Basic Skills (SB or CB) reflect Skills that require little formal training and come to most characters quickly. Advanced Skills (SA or CA) involve more in-depth instruction and study, often requiring months—or even years—to truly master.

The other aspect of Advanced Skills is that they rely on two Attributes instead of one.  This means you can get a bonus from two Linked Attributes, and that's why they start with a base target number one harder.

Pages 140-141 really lay it out in about as concise a way as possible, and I can't fault the logic.  Whoever designed this skill system really earned their pay!  :thumbsup:

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 28 September 2019, 16:27:36 »
The system might have "more number crunching than it needs", but I think it works on balance.

It' not a question of balance or does it work. It's about the perception that new players get from it.
The path system is suppose to guide new player towards creation of a character that would exist in the BTU.
Instead it hits them with large groups of numbers then tell them to take every thing they just did run it through a filter and start spending again.
I know you and others have made spreadsheets to help, but there is a difference from say Herolab, Chummer, PCGen, Etc. that run you through the character creation process and an excel spreadsheet that just organizes the number.

The filler issue is why I think the later life paths are so generic.  Those pages could easily have been spent on giving us faction flavored Academies, Tours of Duty, etc.

I agree with you here.

I see the small amounts of XP thrown at various expensive traits as simply a way to get the player to consider buying the Trait later.  I think this is a great idea, and helps make more diverse characters in the end.

And if it work that would be fine but lets face it, it doesn't work.
In the many character I have made and seen made, most if not all players just optimize these traits out.
If you want a trait to be looked at as something that most characters from that background would have, then at least give it 1/2 or more of the required xp.
If Fit was set to 100 xp, I would say that most players would invest the other 100 xp as fit is a good trait, but as it stands 15 xp (less the 8%) is not at all inticing players to take the trait, as they are still missing 92% of the required XP.

Fields are presented in a way that lets GMs make their own easily (just count up the number of skills you want a field to have, and give a rebate based on that number).  That is nothing but pure win in my book.

Not sure I fellow you here.
The instruction given on page. 71 do let you create your own field packs, but what does that have to do with not just listing the pack prices and having the players do the math, as they are always the same.
Why list just the MechWarrior Field  and not list MechWarrior Field ( 120 xp)?

I'm not sure what you mean by "too many level of skills that use different formulas"... Are you talking about the Simple/Complex//Basic/Advanced construct?  The differentiation is actually not that hard to understand.  Or are you talking about Tiered Skills specifically?  I fear this issue inevitably leads to the "2d6 isn't granular enough for an RPG" discussion.

I was talking about Simple Basic, Simple Advanced, Complex Basic, Complex Advanced, Unskilled Basic, Unskilled Advanced, and on top of that the Tiered Skills system.
With each having a different formulas. While it not hard to comprehend after you get it down, it's a obstacle to new players.

I can't disagree about the layout.  It could use some (ok, a LOT of) work.

You would have to be insane to disagree here. This is an ongoing issues with most CGL products.

I already addressed "filler", and am in complete agreement.  If a company really feels a need to include fiction in a RULE book, one story per book makes a heck of a lot more sense than one story per CHAPTER.

I could be down with a 5 or 10 page story in the rule book to set the tone, but 35 pages of story are a bit much.

I can see why eight pages were given to conversion rules in the Companion.  Given the fiction/filler problem, I really can't see this meriting mention.

I can't, conversion rules are a side thing that in practice never work right and longtime GM or player will tell you lose the feel of your PC/NPC ever time.
I have know problem with them existing, just with them taking up space that could have been used for Academies, Martial arts packages, etc. in a book that I paid for.

I agree Martial Arts could have used more work.  But I'm not unhappy with what it got.

Again, they work but are just a list of maneuvers with no flavor or binding.

Like the conversion rules, I can see 12 pages for rank tables for that "faction flavor" we all seem to want.  Could it have been presented more efficiently?  Probably.

The table are overblown, over colored, and could have easily been reduced to 1 or 2 pages if properly laid out.

Your issues with Advanced Tactical Combat really need to be explained in more detail.  I have no idea what you find inappropriate about them.  ???

This would be a long conversation that I have already had to many times and am not looking forward to having again unless during a beta or revision discussion with the writers. So I'll leave it there for now.

As far as character sheets, they really need to be in the book.  Like it or not, not everyone who can obtain a hard copy can use a pdf (for an uncountable number of reasons).  Completeness alone demands the sheet be in the book.  Should sheets be included in digital versions of the book as separate documents?  Absolutely!  And yes, they should be available as free downloads too.

I will give you the character sheet even though I never used the ones from the books (Official PDF or fan made), but there are things like the planetary maps, Combat charts, relisting of table like the master skill/trait tables that if not already a free PDF off the site or on the GM screen, are not all that useful in the back of the book when they are already listed in the section they are used in.

Again for the most part I like AToW.
I just think in presentation, layout, and character creation it pushes new and some old players away.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 28 September 2019, 16:29:58 »
With regard to the four types of skills, AToW page 141 has this:
The other aspect of Advanced Skills is that they rely on two Attributes instead of one.  This means you can get a bonus from two Linked Attributes, and that's why they start with a base target number one harder.

Pages 140-141 really lay it out in about as concise a way as possible, and I can't fault the logic.  Whoever designed this skill system really earned their pay!  :thumbsup:

Again, the point was not that it doesn't work or that it didn't take a lot of design work.
The point is that it is IMHO way over-designed to appeal to most new players.