Author Topic: Warship Arms Race III  (Read 3339 times)

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
Re: Warship Arms Race III
« Reply #90 on: 02 March 2024, 07:48:10 »
Everything except the Aft, correct? IIRC, that is.

TT
Right.

FastConcentrate8

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #91 on: 02 March 2024, 12:36:27 »
Another way to make missiles more useful would be to just ban split bays.

It makes increased AMS an actual sacrifice while making it both useful for defense but not strong enough to completely invalidate missiles.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #92 on: 02 March 2024, 12:50:58 »
Are there not the tele-operated missiles?

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #93 on: 02 March 2024, 13:03:39 »
I'm confused about the "missiles aren't useful enough" meme.  Where is that coming from?

It's not like they are unused---last game they were commonly used.  And they're a unique weapon in at least two ways: a capital weapon that can attack fighters without penalty and they have unbounded range via a bearings-only launch.

Nerfing AMS so that it can't fire faster than on ground units seems adequate to leave missiles a useful weapon.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #94 on: 02 March 2024, 14:42:54 »
Are there not the tele-operated missiles?

In the time frame, no. That's much later, later SLDF-era.

Nerfing AMS so that it can't fire faster than on ground units seems adequate to leave missiles a useful weapon.

Wasn't it like, 3 AMS / MGs or other Point Defense System, nerf'd a single Cap missile in the old games?

And I really want to say it was mostly 'Cudda slung back and forth with the other types more anti-ship.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #95 on: 02 March 2024, 14:53:05 »
I may have misunderstood the proposed rules, but I thought it was: point defense damage / 4 = capital damage value of missle => 50% chance of interception

So to intercept a Barracuda (2 capital damage) you need a point defense bay with a damage value of 8 or higher. That's 8MG or 6 Small Laser (damage value is halved for point defense work for everything but dedicated AMS). I don't know how it works for weapon bays that feature multiple öaunchers, whether the Point defense bay gets a chance to fire at each missile in the volley (for additional heat or ammo) or only once?

But regardless, missile interception chance is at most 50%, so missile proofing is under house rules not as easy as under RAW.

Jude Melancon lives!

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #96 on: 02 March 2024, 15:53:07 »
And I really want to say it was mostly 'Cudda slung back and forth with the other types more anti-ship.
Yes.  Baracudda are often preferred due to their bonus to hit.   

I may have misunderstood the proposed rules, but I thought it was: point defense damage / 4 = capital damage value of missle => 50% chance of interception
Sounds right.

But regardless, missile interception chance is at most 50%, so missile proofing is under house rules not as easy as under RAW.
Well, it would be 50% per capital*4 PD damage, so if you had capital*16 PD damage the odds of intercept would rise to about 95%.

The above seems mostly "realism" flavor to me balance-wise since you can still quench a missiles storm with sufficient point defense. 

The real balance factor is only allowing AMS to fire 6 times per turn, making them "only" as effective as (say) 12 SLs rather than the default of nigh-infinite SLs.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #97 on: 14 March 2024, 10:55:27 »
slight bump

Any news?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

FastConcentrate8

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #98 on: 14 March 2024, 15:26:48 »
slight bump

Any news?

TT

Me realizing how much I overspend on my designs.

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #99 on: 14 March 2024, 20:11:36 »
It's the drop collars, they add a bunch to the final price.

FastConcentrate8

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #100 on: 14 March 2024, 20:36:17 »
It's the drop collars, they add a bunch to the final price.

That and LF batteries.

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #101 on: 18 March 2024, 20:09:44 »
i somehow get the feeling, we lost a gm again. this time before the game even started?

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #102 on: 18 March 2024, 21:25:13 »
Hopefully not, I was looking forward to spectating this one - but it really is about a part time job’s worth of work to do right.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #103 on: 03 April 2024, 16:08:17 »
My undead Horse has a stick, where can he beat it at?

Bump..., er... thump thump?

TT

PS: I sent an email via their PM envelope link on their face-plate page. Like when one DMs another there is a small mail symbol. Clicking that allows you to E-Mail the "player". Hopefully they receive it, after all real life comes first. TT
« Last Edit: 03 April 2024, 16:17:18 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Register