Author Topic: Running a campaign in the robotech setting.  (Read 1987 times)

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
Running a campaign in the robotech setting.
« on: 16 July 2019, 17:27:07 »
I have had an idea to run a robotech game for years using the setting and then the rules for battletech for mechs and combat. Thinking of just of the setting in the rebuilding years and as the southern cross is being built up,

Setup for tech level is pretty much 3025 to start and a few added items for weapons and newer things. No clan stuff or much newer star league tech being used. I am not looking at books and right now this is being typed off the top of my head right now for ideas.

For mechs...
The basic destroids for the basic mechs from the robotech setting
Rifleman, longbow, warhammer, archer, crusader for the armored veritech and extra war machine. Lams for the veritechs with the P-hawk being a command unit. No idea what to use for the monster for that unit.

As for the zenton units, not much ideas beyond that. Battlepods for extra firepower of thinking of using the cargo rules for one shot or simple shot missile launders to be the pods that carry missiles, not idea for officer power armor or female power armor to use. NO idea hot to stat out handheld weapon from a zentron outside of armor or on foot. Officer pod would be the mad of course since it is extra bad ass. the fighter are up in the air or what to use for trasport units. Maybe a union dropship for ideas or something.

The russion units that are in later books not sure what to use to be them or tanks and fighters from the series or some of the limited run and prototype units that you see in that time period.

As I said, more what if thinking for getting this out of my head after many years thinking about it and see what thoughts are and throwing idea at the wall to see what sticks.

idea weenie

• Major
Re: Running a campaign in the robotech setting.
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2019, 19:55:47 »
For basic troops (on both sides), use industrial equipment (i.e. 20% mass for internal structure, civilian armor that lets anything doing over 5 pts damage roll on crit table, etc)

Hand-held weaponry to simulate rocket pods on Mechs, or a Zentraedi's side-arm

For officer (aka hero) armor/vehicle, you put in the real BT gear (10% mass for internal structure, true armor, etc).

Fuel Cells (and Zentraedi equivalent) for regular troops, and actual fusion (Protoculture) reactors for the hero units.

I'd give the Zentraedi forces slightly more armor per ton, and their weapons do slightly more damage per ton to keep them a threat.  Even if the players manage to defeat and steal Zentraedi gear, the armor will eventually get shot up, and Zentraedi weapons will eventually run out of ammo (or the lasers can't be maintained any more).

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2019, 09:54:55 »
What's funny about that is that if you really want to get into construction rules you'd pretty much have to rework the BA and Protomech construction rules and upsize them to fit Zentraedi.

Aside from that, I don't think you need to fudge the Zentraedi all that much. They've got numbers on their side after all. All the numbers.

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 06 August 2019, 01:34:13 »
True but they are vulnerable to J-Pop music.  Any anime theme song will cause them to go into shutdown mode and then you can use called shots to your hearts' content.