Author Topic: Have 'Mech, Will Travel: Errant MechWarriors  (Read 34121 times)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Have 'Mech, Will Travel: Errant MechWarriors
« Reply #60 on: 18 March 2015, 04:36:13 »
Ok, true, but it's still a good explanation for why infantry missiles don't pack the wallop 'Mech ones do

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #61 on: 18 March 2015, 08:20:52 »
Battlemechs should be fantastically more complicated than armored vehicles or modern combat aircraft.

they should also be rugged as all heck, given what we know. unlike the hollywood "everything gets its own underlighting and is made of techno-origami" idea of advanced tech, a battlemech is fantastically durable and idiot-proofed (which, given the caliber of idiocy you see in the inner sphere is sorta vital) and isn't built to start seizing up because techs haven't been there to give it a full-body rubdown after every fight. most of the systems are apparently fairly self-contained and aren't about to malf up unless you're pounding on it directly, which is why armor is kind of a big thing.

sure, without routine maintenance it'll start to get loud and a bit stiff when it moves i'm sure, but nothing you can't clear up when you can actually get to a repair facility and open her up.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #62 on: 18 March 2015, 09:29:23 »
they should also be rugged as all heck, given what we know. unlike the hollywood "everything gets its own underlighting and is made of techno-origami" idea of advanced tech, a battlemech is fantastically durable and idiot-proofed (which, given the caliber of idiocy you see in the inner sphere is sorta vital) and isn't built to start seizing up because techs haven't been there to give it a full-body rubdown after every fight. most of the systems are apparently fairly self-contained and aren't about to malf up unless you're pounding on it directly, which is why armor is kind of a big thing.

sure, without routine maintenance it'll start to get loud and a bit stiff when it moves i'm sure, but nothing you can't clear up when you can actually get to a repair facility and open her up.
I agree.  Here's the post I was responding to:
It's all a result in changes in the setting slowly creeping in over years.  As a group of people try to make BattleMechs more akin to the late-generation fighters they want to think of them as rather than the armored fighting vehicles they were originally envisioned as.  Notice how maintenance requirements slowly but steadily went up, they emphasized need for parts as being special that were never made a fuss about before, assumed that mech units would need larger and larger teams of techs and astechs per mech.

Just ignore them and go back to the foundation of the setting, they want you to play the game their way but remember you can just ignore them and play it your way.
I'm disagreeing with the bolded part that suggests mechs don't need special, hard-to-acquire parts or tech teams.  Mechs are certainly fantastically rugged, and if you just leave one in a shed your great-great-grandchild will probably be able to start it right up one day, but it's still a high-tech, fantastically complex machine that's hard to acquire parts for (especially on backwater Periphery worlds) that needs technical support if you take it out and get it shot up facing down pirates.  Likewise, I wouldn't trust the pilot to do most of his own technical work.  Can he help out as an astech?  Sure.  But there needs to be at least one fully-trained tech on hand, and probably several astechs, at least if you want to do the job quickly.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #63 on: 19 March 2015, 23:26:57 »
If I were to be stationed out in the periphery I would think it best to use a mech that is in general use.  Mechs like the griffin, shadow hawk, ostrocs & marauders are in general use. In most cases  an Errant MechWarrior is going to have a mercenary type contract with the locals to some extent. This would possibly include some level of maintenance & or spare parts.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #64 on: 03 April 2015, 18:01:22 »
I imagine a nightmare scenario for a mechwarrior out in the periphery is something like what happened to the mercenary commander during the intro to Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries.

Some dropship takes you someplace and then abandons you when things get too tough. You are on your own until you find some safe harbor or sanctuary and make some new friends by cutting a new deal.

So anything that helps the endurance factor is good, like energy weapons.

Same with something like what happened to Avanti's Angels out in the periphery. A periphery planet government decided to declare that the unit's creditors were shutting the unit down and that the government had orders to seize all the unit's personnel and equipment. In reality it was just a ruse to grab the unit's equipment for their use and to maybe turn the personnel into slaves.

In the Inner Sphere this kind of scenario is less likely, but in the more remote parts of the periphery anything goes.

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
« Reply #65 on: 05 April 2015, 18:22:54 »
I dunno-in the inner sphere, the only difference would be more lawyers and a less questionable set of loan sharks making the initial outlays of cash.
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #66 on: 07 April 2015, 22:29:09 »
I imagine a nightmare scenario for a mechwarrior out in the periphery is something like what happened to the mercenary commander during the intro to Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries.

Some dropship takes you someplace and then abandons you when things get too tough. You are on your own until you find some safe harbor or sanctuary and make some new friends by cutting a new deal.

So anything that helps the endurance factor is good, like energy weapons.

Same with something like what happened to Avanti's Angels out in the periphery. A periphery planet government decided to declare that the unit's creditors were shutting the unit down and that the government had orders to seize all the unit's personnel and equipment. In reality it was just a ruse to grab the unit's equipment for their use and to maybe turn the personnel into slaves.

In the Inner Sphere this kind of scenario is less likely, but in the more remote parts of the periphery anything goes.
And this is when you go pirate on em!!!

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: 12 May 2015, 20:27:19 »
And this is when you go pirate on em!!!
  Or when you turn their kingdom into your kingdom.  8)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #68 on: 12 May 2015, 21:49:12 »
Good point. I suspect that may be how a lot of early bandit kingdoms got started.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #69 on: 13 May 2015, 07:42:49 »
In theory, if you want something that's as easy to maintain as possible while still a BattleMech... or at least close to it... maybe that errant should be piloting an Arbiter.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #70 on: 13 May 2015, 14:58:05 »
In theory, if you want something that's as easy to maintain as possible while still a BattleMech... or at least close to it... maybe that errant should be piloting an Arbiter.

The phrase "penny wise, pound foolish" comes to mind.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #71 on: 13 May 2015, 17:19:13 »
If we are talking milita mechs I'd go for a Lumberjack or Quasit. 
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #72 on: 13 May 2015, 17:26:27 »
Yeah, but how many militia 'Mechs on industrial platforms can expect to engage one or more BattleMechs and actually survive?  I suspect you're better off with a true BattleMech.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: 13 May 2015, 17:43:50 »
The key consideration is long term endurance. We're talking flashbulb mostly, but a "deal closer" weapon for emergencies wouldn't be out of the question. I'd lean toward a heavy cavalry mech (I'd like the Black Knight), that can take a punch but can still had the speed to simply evade hits (more economical). A speedster could work in theory, but I don't see him having the muscle to stand up to a determined assault. There's also an argument for the "go big or go home"; An  Awesome has good balance of endurance, speed and firepower, and nothing says "you came to the wrong neighborhood" like an Atlas that just might send the would be bandits to look for easier targets.

The image of a duelist taking all comers might seem nice, but a true warrior knows that 90% of war is deception and the greatest victory is the one achieved without fighting. The best course of action for a successful knight errant would probably be to make himself seem like more trouble than he's worth.
Making the dark age a little brighter, one explosion at a time.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #74 on: 14 May 2015, 03:25:41 »
The phrase "penny wise, pound foolish" comes to mind.
Yeah, but how many militia 'Mechs on industrial platforms can expect to engage one or more BattleMechs and actually survive?  I suspect you're better off with a true BattleMech.
I think you're both absolutely correct, and I can't think of any combat situation where I'd want to be in an Arbiter ahead of any BattleMech. The fact remains though, if one of your key requirements is what's the most logistically supportable/easily maintained ride when operating in backwater no-name Periphery worlds with level D-F USIIR ratings across the board and tenuous supply links... there's not much out there more easily supportable than the Arbiter.

Of course if a planet is being defended by a single MechWarrior, then chances are that for the residents of that planet, when the pirates attack, life's going to suck - however many pirates there are.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #75 on: 14 May 2015, 10:05:18 »
I'd lean toward something like an old Phoenix Hawk.  You can outgun anything you can't outrun, and outrun anything you can't outgun.  You have sufficient reach to avoid facing ML or SRM spam, and can keep shooting all day at bad odds (thanks to keeping your movement modifiers as high as possible) without running out of ammo.  You can get in and back out of a lot of places where your opponents can't easily follow, or chase them into places they thought they were safe, thanks to the jumping capabilities of the 'Mech.  It's also a common enough design, for pretty close to forever, to allow you to get replacement parts with relative ease.  If you run into something like a full lance of Mediums or Heavies, one 'Mech isn't going to stop them anyway, no matter what you use, and you've got the maneuverability to stay within spotting distance without getting caught, in case they make a mistake you can capitalize on.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #76 on: 14 May 2015, 15:33:15 »
The fact remains though, if one of your key requirements is what's the most logistically supportable/easily maintained ride when operating in backwater no-name Periphery worlds with level D-F USIIR ratings across the board and tenuous supply links... there's not much out there more easily supportable than the Arbiter.

The point of investing in a defense is to deter pirates, not convince them it's time to torch a few orphanages to make a point.  Supporting a single Arbiter to do anything other than march in a parade is probably prosecutable as criminal negligence under some planets' law codes.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #77 on: 14 May 2015, 20:08:12 »
While a industrial militia mech would not be my first choice (That's a Grasshopper), the Lumberjack militia mech  should not be dismissed. With 2 LRM 15's, 2 Med Lasers , a Large Laser, Advanced Fire Control, Jump Jets, and heavy armor ( almost as much as a Archer) it can put a hurting on anything and take some punches. The downsides it is slow and you have to watch your heat but it is easier to maintain in the backwaters .
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 11 June 2015, 05:44:36 »
The point of investing in a defense is to deter pirates, not convince them it's time to torch a few orphanages to make a point.  Supporting a single Arbiter to do anything other than march in a parade is probably prosecutable as criminal negligence under some planets' law codes.
Well as long as the pirates don't know what an Arbiter actually is and how good it is, that whole marching in a parade thing sounds like a good idea

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #79 on: 21 June 2015, 05:56:58 »
Most mech errants are basically set up as mobile small units any way. Think one mech, with 2-3 trucks and 2-7 men in Support. Though you could probably do it yourself with a truck with cargo for the Mech, a small mobile fabricator/smithy, and a trailer with cargo and ammo. You would need an industrial Exo/ mover for smaller loads. Having skills in Mechtech, Vehicle tech, and a knoledge to produce your own ammo could allow you to Do the wandering Errant thing.
Their is no problem Jump Jets and an assault class auto-cannon can't handle.

Nodachi

• Sergeant
« Reply #80 on: 08 July 2015, 08:18:02 »
From a role playing sense, would be nice to have a quick and dirty guideline for an errant unit. Keep it small and the stories gritty with lots of firepower.

Koren-Gagin

• Sergeant
  • Gotta do what a urbie gotta do!
« Reply #81 on: 03 September 2015, 00:42:52 »
Quick idea here folks let's a hypathetical knight errant on some find down barely a planet whose only defenders would most likely be the farmers with theeir peashooters.

Well suddenly boom a lance of pirate raiders land to snatch and grab what they want than said Knight Errant fights them. The pirates are most likely be in light mechs with hand actuactaers so they can pick up or heap loot and haul it as need I would assume and what I would want for my mech if I was a pirate. Being light, fast and having hands.

So let's then assume this knight is in a medium or light for you energy boat panther with its ppc its got a punch that well tear any light mech to shreds sure only one hand but he aint there to steal and rob the locals unless he decides having his own kingdom sounds good. So thanks to this knight errant he takes a few pirate mechs out forceimg them to withdraw leaving the spoils to the knight.

There you go folks sure I just waved my hands gave the win to the knight errant but than it helps fixes the supply issue a bit sudddenly there's ton of armor laying around, parts, or even a spare mech if the remains are able to jubbled together making a second mech the knight can either keep around as a spare, possible share with a disppossed mechwarrior on planet he trust, or train a local that he notices that has the aptitude to pilot a mech.

But of course this relies on the knight errant actually beating the pirates the first time and hoping their leader does not come for revenge ASAP. For supply before any pirates if the knight is in the good with the local gov or any smiths he can get primative armor easily. On ammo its not so hard either expolosives are chemistry 101 any self respecting hillbilly that makes his own ammo can tell dull making ur own ammo may not be as great as that fancy factory ammo but if its all you got its better than nothin.

So since we have rules for primitive mechs, including primitive armor, primitive ammo/homade ammo its not hard to assume that any back water planet in the middle of no where can give basic support to a mech though I would think the clan era and on built mechs may hurt the most in such situations but most mechs by then are nationalized affairs with less staying in the hands of families form one genaration to the next.

But anyone do a knight errant game its going to be a RP game with house rules as need to fix rules that seem to not work in said game. But I digress hope ya enjoyed reading this has actually gave me an idea to run among the ppl I play with since they like to RP and want to try a little "out of the box" game. I think it will take months for them to want to do anything else once I pass this on to them.
"History is written by the victors, the defeated live it"

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #82 on: 04 September 2015, 09:26:52 »
If your hypothetical Knight Errant is in a Panther, those pirate bug 'Mechs are very likely to try to get behind that Panther, and have the speed to do so.  Your Knight doesn't have the speed to avoid that, or to get a high enough modifier to give them a bad shot when they get there.  End result, the farmers are happy because the Pirates had more valuable stuff to take than their crops and farm machinery; the Pirates are happy because they got the remains of a Panther for parts, and the only person who's really less than satisfied with the deal is your dispossessed Knight Errant.

Compare that to a Phoenix Hawk.  The Pirates probably don't have more than maybe one lightweight 'Mech in their force faster than the P-Hawk, and perhaps an even thinner-skinned hovertank.  If they do, the P-Hawk is tough to hit, so they may do some trivial damage without punching the back armor, and get an arm-mounted LL and MG at point-blank in reply.  Hovertanks and 20 ton bug 'Mechs really hate that for some reason.  The P-Hawk can at least maintain range from everything else, or close at his own convenience.

The Pirates can't burden their 'Mechs with arm-loads of loot without compromising their fighting abilities, and can't spread out to search, so they're frustrated.  They can't catch the Knight, except for one or two individual units that are no match for the P-Hawk's greater firepower and armor, and can't run fast enough to avoid being trailed.  In essence, it's a standoff at worst, if not in outright favor of the Knight, until the Pirates decide that there's nothing further to be gained.

If the Pirates show up with a lance of Heavies, no other single 'Mech is going to deal with that anyway, and the P-Hawk can at least trail them and try to harass any that fall behind or are hindered by carried loot.

Also, how difficult or expensive is it to get MG ammo?  The Panther's SRMs may be slightly more difficult to find at the local flea market or general store.  If your Panther pilot needs an actuator, he's got to order one from Combine space.  A P-Hawk replacement part is probably available from suppliers in every major House and some Periphery realms.
« Last Edit: 04 September 2015, 09:33:11 by Kovax »

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: 04 September 2015, 21:04:19 »
The D variant PHX does not need MG ammo. So even better.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Koren-Gagin

• Sergeant
« Reply #84 on: 05 September 2015, 11:03:15 »
If your hypothetical Knight Errant is in a Panther, those pirate bug 'Mechs are very likely to try to get behind that Panther, and have the speed to do so.  Your Knight doesn't have the speed to avoid that, or to get a high enough modifier to give them a bad shot when they get there.  End result, the farmers are happy because the Pirates had more valuable stuff to take than their crops and farm machinery; the Pirates are happy because they got the remains of a Panther for parts, and the only person who's really less than satisfied with the deal is your dispossessed Knight Errant.

Compare that to a Phoenix Hawk.  The Pirates probably don't have more than maybe one lightweight 'Mech in their force faster than the P-Hawk, and perhaps an even thinner-skinned hovertank.  If they do, the P-Hawk is tough to hit, so they may do some trivial damage without punching the back armor, and get an arm-mounted LL and MG at point-blank in reply.  Hovertanks and 20 ton bug 'Mechs really hate that for some reason.  The P-Hawk can at least maintain range from everything else, or close at his own convenience.

The Pirates can't burden their 'Mechs with arm-loads of loot without compromising their fighting abilities, and can't spread out to search, so they're frustrated.  They can't catch the Knight, except for one or two individual units that are no match for the P-Hawk's greater firepower and armor, and can't run fast enough to avoid being trailed.  In essence, it's a standoff at worst, if not in outright favor of the Knight, until the Pirates decide that there's nothing further to be gained.

If the Pirates show up with a lance of Heavies, no other single 'Mech is going to deal with that anyway, and the P-Hawk can at least trail them and try to harass any that fall behind or are hindered by carried loot.

Also, how difficult or expensive is it to get MG ammo?  The Panther's SRMs may be slightly more difficult to find at the local flea market or general store.  If your Panther pilot needs an actuator, he's got to order one from Combine space.  A P-Hawk replacement part is probably available from suppliers in every major House and some Periphery realms.

Well since I did not state the location of the planet this knight errant is does not suggest that it has to be on the far side since most likely its a former combine pilot or a pyramids or davion that has fought angainst the combine meaning its near the combine roughly but this fiat and hand waving which in a RP game happens no big deal.

On possibilities of pirates have heavy mechs if they did bring them I would think they would be staying near the dropship most likely anyways. On the bug mechs speed vs my panthers slow speed. Yes mechs like the spider can go 8/12/8 compared to the panthers' 4/6/4.

But the two medium lasers on the spider compared to the panthers ppc and srm 4. Since I will be assuming that my panther pilot well most likely be better than some average Joe pirate except the pirate leader and his/her second in command. But since the panther using on its ppc and walking using the PNT-9R can stay heat manageble also I doubt the spider well stay around long once the first blast of ppc hits it.

Now onto the ammo since there are ammo creation rules and with some hand waving and RP poor got ammo. So I must say srm 4 ammo not hard if the local militia is using srms anyways since in Battletech infantry weapons can be used on mechs just with the infantry ranges.

But thanks to RP we can say the knight errant goes to the ppl making the arms for militia, role for whatever you like. Reputation, convincing the factory boss to make u more ammo in return you live near by with the promise to help protect the factory or whatever the boss is willing to trade.for his services to make ammo. Just remember RP it, hand wave it if there's no rule or stat in some book saying that this or that is built hear or there.

But I'm ok with the panther since it may be slow but compared to most mechs in it the same weight area it packs the most punch and pirates don't like scary big boom badda boom stuff. I word hope since the arbiter proves pirates don't like scary things. If I were a pirate I would be like hey its a panther let's swarm than poof.

"Bob! Bob is down run! Back to the dropship!"

But that's mho of how the knight errant and pirates would react but if you want the knight errant to lose go ahead that's your game I'm ok with that but remember man we have our games and well they well run differently and with the power of RNJesus even then it could be anything how it ends.

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #85 on: 05 September 2015, 11:28:16 »
Any unit that resorts to swarm tactics, isn't going to back down the moment someone bites it. The pirates leader, or at least his "dragon" if he's one of the more successful pirate captains, will likely be leading the raid; both for weeping the man into battle, and at the very least seeing exactly what kind of loot they find, making sure no one is pocketing some nice bauble.

And assuming that you are better than the average pirate, especially several of them, is a dangerous assumption. Most pirates, particularly mechwarriors (as other classes are easier to train), would be unemployed mercs and deserters. People who were trained to fight for a living. The knight errant is basically a guy who happened to come by a mech and decided to go vigilante, he thinks he's a badass but won't know until he meets the first pirate who come looking for trouble. You'd have a hundred guys like that for every former DEST that decides to become space-batman.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #86 on: 05 September 2015, 11:31:33 »
Actually, I suspect a lot of errants are either survivors from mercenary commands that got chewed up, or older MechWarriors who have gone into retirement.

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: 05 September 2015, 11:53:12 »
Actually, I suspect a lot of errants are either survivors from mercenary commands that got chewed up, or older MechWarriors who have gone into retirement.
Same can be said for pirates.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #88 on: 05 September 2015, 12:46:52 »
And I suspect that a lot of errants end up petty bandit kings.

Koren-Gagin

• Sergeant
« Reply #89 on: 05 September 2015, 14:33:42 »
And I suspect that a lot of errants end up petty bandit kings.

For sure but when you got the only mech on planet either someone going to try and steal it or your going to tell the sheeple what to do.

Register