Author Topic: What happened to the Taurian Shipyards?  (Read 5811 times)

Korzon77

• Captain
What happened to the Taurian Shipyards?
« on: 01 May 2018, 20:02:59 »
Because in periphery 2765, they had shipyards around Taurus, capable of manufacturing both compact and conventional core ftl craft. Taurus was never directly attacked, either by the SL or inner sphere powers, so what happened to all of that infrastructure by 3025?

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
Re: What happened to the Taurian Shipyards?
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2018, 20:47:32 »
The SLDF demolished the Periphery navies during the Periphery Uprisings, and I wouldn't be surprised if they went after infrastructure as well. While we know the SLDF never made it back to Taurus to reoccupy, they could have easily sent a few Squadrons in to raid the orbital facilities.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2018, 20:44:42 »
That has always been a good question, where would the TC maintain/service their Jumpship fleet since then?  But if you start down this rabbit hole you start wondering about most of the Inner Sphere.

TCW Vandenberg was in what I would say was the part of the leftover orbital infrastructure, I also wonder what else the Far Lookers have Acquired/stashed out in the Deep Space beside "Jump Capable" Sparta habitat.  Because remember this drawing on the Concordat's expertise in zero-g construction and closed environments, the Arcologists sub-faction were possibly the preeminent builds of space habits within the Inner Sphere.  So that tells me there still has to be major zero-g skill set and knowledge base remaining, which means there should still be some orbital infrastructure left just not really talked about.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2018, 23:43:23 »
I am strongly of the opinion that there is some currently un-statted but widely available Space Station capable of servicing Jumpships that can be jumped to an area.  I always refer to the existence of such things in my stories because they have to be there even if they are never mentioned (like so many other things in the BTU)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2018, 01:46:52 »
The SLDF demolished the Periphery navies during the Periphery Uprisings, and I wouldn't be surprised if they went after infrastructure as well. While we know the SLDF never made it back to Taurus to reoccupy, they could have easily sent a few Squadrons in to raid the orbital facilities.
officially they dismantled all the Taurian military infrastructure that managed to survive the scortched earth tactics the SLDF used to defeat the Concordate i nthe Reunification war.

sometime later, after they'd installed a star league friendly government, the SLDF had to withdraw the garrison from the TC (to free up the troops for other conflicts), and the taurians were allowed a degree of new military infrastructure again.. closely overseen by the star league of course. and warships were not part of that.

by 2762, the TC had been 'loyal' enough to the star league that they could pull off a major militarization.. the stand off between the TC and star league, and the deployment of the SLDF to face down them and all the other powers doing the same thing was a contributing factor to giving Amaris the opportunity to pull off his coup and take over the hegemony.

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2018, 20:54:51 »
That's not entirely accurate. Only the Rim Worlds garrison was ever completely withdrawn, in 2755 as part of the "Birthday Proclamations" of Richard Cameron. The Taurian Territorial State was long-recognized as the most fractious and disloyal of the Periphery nations, and had a garrison no-smaller than any of the others as a result.

The Taurians being so resentful of the Star League was central to Stefan Amaris' master plan. He created analogous levels of discontent (and created a pan-Periphery Secret Army to even the playing field across) the Periphery realms so that when the Taurians began the Uprising, the other nations would easily follow suit into a mass revolt and draw off the SLDF from the Hegemony. Without New Vandenburg and Fort Gorki, Amaris would not have been able to have enough context to move the Rim Worlds Army in to "augment" the depleted Hegemony defenses.

When I mentioned infrastructure, I was referring to the orbital/space facilities that serviced the 31-ship WarShip fleet thought to be in existence in 2765. We know that during the Uprising, SLDF Navy sunk all but one WarShips belonging to the Territorial States, the sole survivor being a Concordat ship. My initial post was to suggest the SLDF Navy, as part of what seems to have been a campaign to hunt down these ships with a vengeance, likely ranged far enough ahead of the ground forces reoccupying the Concordat to the wreck the service and construction centers for their main prey.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2018, 20:58:15 by Crimson Dynamo »
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

lrose

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2018, 05:19:04 »
According to the 1st SW SB (p.125) there were operational shipyards in the MOC (Athena Corporation -Canopus), TC (Concordat Aerospace Ltd - Taurus), Former RWR (Roe Weapon Systems - Finmark) and OA (United Outworlders Corporation - Ramora) that were either destroyed or decommissioned during the 1st SW.  Unfortunately there is no information on how the shipyards were destroyed. 

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2018, 06:51:30 »
We can say that they were destroyed enough that the Taurians lacked a jumpship capable yard by 3025, and were unable to rebuild it either. The fact that they were trying to repair a Warship (even one that was basically unrepairable at that) in the middle of nowhere with no facilities speaks volumes of a lack of shipbuilding capacity.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2018, 17:21:26 »
They could've met the same ate as some other high-tech facilities: never attacked, but they became unusable as League-wide commerce networks broke down and there was no longer a supply of certain parts or materiel needed for high-tech products like jumpships and warships.  Having a Boeing 747 factory does you no good if the plant across the country that made your engines got blown up and you had been importing titanium from a now-hostile power.  Eventually, simple disuse will take its toll and the facility will fall into disrepair or be gutted and repurposed for something that the faction still has the capability to do.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2018, 15:43:46 »
They could've met the same ate as some other high-tech facilities: never attacked, but they became unusable as League-wide commerce networks broke down and there was no longer a supply of certain parts or materiel needed for high-tech products like jumpships and warships.  Having a Boeing 747 factory does you no good if the plant across the country that made your engines got blown up and you had been importing titanium from a now-hostile power.  Eventually, simple disuse will take its toll and the facility will fall into disrepair or be gutted and repurposed for something that the faction still has the capability to do.

True--though that once again gets into the problem of fasanomics (the time between the end of the Star League and the present day was longer than it took earth to invent KF drives, build the shipyards from scratch and go from the Alliance to the Hegemony).  Tl DR, Fasa writers didn't really grok how time and industrialization work.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2018, 12:30:40 »
It should be noted that having a shipyard doesn't automatically make one capable of manufacturing JumpShips.  They could have lost their ability to manufacture new JumpShips, whether due to combat or technology loss, but still be capable of maintaining them to a limited degree (see Star's End and Quatre Belle shipyards).   Even IS shipyards capable of JumpShip manufacture, such as Galax or Alarion, found their ability to manufacture new JumpShips slowly decrease over the course of the Succession Wars.  It should also be noted that the Taurians government did allot a significant portion of their annual budget and that does leave other areas short-changed.  Combine these and likely other factors that I can't think of and the deterioration of the shipyards abilities shouldn't come as a surprise.  Manufacturing equipment can only run so long even with the best maintenance before parts need to start being replaced and if you no longer have the ability to replace those parts, well, you are out of luck.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2018, 06:52:31 »
The other thing with considering is the way that the Star Leauge crippled the economies of the Territorial States and hobbled their industries. It's entirely possible (and would fit with other examples we've seen) that the Taurian shipyards were dependant on imported components that they no longer had access to.

Finally, let's not forget that the Taurians lost a substantial number of their worlds during the Succession Wars through various means. Maintaining an active shipyard might simply not have been economically viable in the face of other priorities.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2018, 14:28:33 »
And all this before the possibility of Davion raids or sabotage in the early succession wars.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2018, 14:34:09 »
The other thing with considering is the way that the Star Leauge crippled the economies of the Territorial States and hobbled their industries. It's entirely possible (and would fit with other examples we've seen) that the Taurian shipyards were dependant on imported components that they no longer had access to.

Finally, let's not forget that the Taurians lost a substantial number of their worlds during the Succession Wars through various means. Maintaining an active shipyard might simply not have been economically viable in the face of other priorities.
And even if all their components came from within the TC, if certain vital ones came from the worlds that got conquered...
« Last Edit: 19 May 2018, 11:52:05 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 19 May 2018, 08:30:16 »
But like I said earlier, if you start looking at shipyards and what officially "exist", most of IS never mind the Rim is screwed by lack of yards to do maintenance for their Jumpships, no wonder the # is down so far and then comes the Jihad with WOB hitting high tech target back to stone age. 
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"