Author Topic: The Capellans are not evil  (Read 151484 times)

Minemech

• Captain
Re: The Capellans are not evil
« Reply #330 on: 18 July 2011, 20:36:44 »
 Its okay, they will really love the increased costs chewing tobacco will bring to them. Lets not even get in to dipping. The classic law of unintended consequences.

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #331 on: 18 July 2011, 20:58:55 »
The CapCon is not evil---it is misunderstood.

"We're not evil at all. We're just differently good."
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #332 on: 18 July 2011, 21:24:34 »
"We're not evil at all. We're just differently good."

Creatively good, shall we say?  I could get behind such a label.   ;)

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #333 on: 18 July 2011, 21:33:40 »
Creatively good, shall we say?  I could get behind such a label.   ;)

'Creatively Good' suggests more wacky hijinks than I see the Capellans typically performing, although that might just be me.  I'd go the Terry Pratchett Route and call the Capellans Good*.

*For a Given Value of 'Good.'
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #334 on: 18 July 2011, 21:39:55 »
How about selfishly good?  That sounds about right
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #335 on: 18 July 2011, 22:17:29 »
'Creatively Good' suggests more wacky hijinks than I see the Capellans typically performing, although that might just be me.  I'd go the Terry Pratchett Route and call the Capellans Good*.

*For a Given Value of 'Good.'

Which brings to mind one of my favourite "Discworld" quotes, and is suitably applicable to the Capellan Confederation, I suppose:-

"A thinking tyrant, it seemed to Vetinari, had a much harder job than a ruler raised to power by some idiot system like democracy. At least he could tell the people he was their fault."
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #336 on: 18 July 2011, 22:24:50 »
Which brings to mind one of my favourite "Discworld" quotes, and is suitably applicable to the Capellan Confederation, I suppose:-

"A thinking tyrant, it seemed to Vetinari, had a much harder job than a ruler raised to power by some idiot system like democracy. At least he could tell the people he was their fault."

The Capellans are Vetinarian Good.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #337 on: 18 July 2011, 22:34:49 »
The Capellans are Vetinarian Good.

Quote of the Day. ;)

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #338 on: 18 July 2011, 23:30:39 »
That means the AFFS must have been pretty evil up until the Kentares Massacre.

Considering that Jinjiro Kurita's Daimyo used to watch the executions on Kentares is considered a national tressure, i'd say the Combine is more hung up on the killing of Miniro Kurita than the civilians.

No wait, i got it.  FS was evil until Kentares because they didn't care enough about their civilians to win the war until after Kentares.  Yes, that'll do, right O5P?
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #339 on: 18 July 2011, 23:34:49 »
 I was going for the incompetance problems that plagued them due to paperwork. The Kentares Massacre caused the AFFS to prioritize success over paperwork. It was said the bad guys are always incompetant so that was a jest. Hanse was noted by Theodore to have retreated during the War of 3039 because he cared about his people in an interesting tidbit, and had his respect for it.

BlazingSky

• Lieutenant
  • Ah yes, the rabble and their "Medium Mechs"
« Reply #340 on: 19 July 2011, 01:42:20 »
The CapCon is not evil---it is misunderstood.  And the cultural flavor present in the BT universe is what makes it so interesting as opposed to a black-and-white good-guy bad-guy mentality (Stackpole notwithstanding).

That's a cop out. An out and out one at that. Every single government in the IS has spent so long fighting petty wars that "protecting one's sovereignty" is as tired any other phrase. Even worse, they're all so "evil" that it's just jingo, plain and simple to call them good, or even neutral. Accept being evil. If the CC were "misunderstood", it would be doing whatever it is they do in a manner that looks disgusting, but actually helping. Instead, the CC reminds me of the kids that would make every effort to rub others' noses in it while they had power, but calling for the teacher the moment that power shifts.
I don't post to play nice with everyone. I post to posit my ideas. If this offends you, there's an ignore function.
I knew this day would come! The day of the stapler men has arrived!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #341 on: 19 July 2011, 06:19:23 »
Instead, the CC reminds me of the kids that would make every effort to rub others' noses in it while they had power, but calling for the teacher the moment that power shifts.

I don't see how that's possible, when the most power the Confederation ever had over other nations was to have its leader be nominally in charge of a completely throw away international body with no real power which existed for a purpose it fulfilled under his watch.  Sounds pretty straight to me.

Mecha-Anchovy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #342 on: 19 July 2011, 07:17:37 »
(Okay, random question: is there a way to get rid of the row of emoticons immediately above the text box? The repeating animations distract me while I'm typing and I wish I could hide them.)

Eh. I could accept that if it was merely an off-hand notion or something quickly put into place by the Chancellor.

However, the portion of text I quoted earlier notes that this particular move to ensure greater rights for the servitors, has been building for almost a decade. It's a significant step toward positive change in the greater make-up of Capellan society.

That doesn't sound all that whimsical.

Given enough time, I would say, popular movements will have an effect in any state: even the Draconis Combine, or a similarly repressive state. That is not the issue. Rather, it's whether the structure of the state allows those movements to have an effect.

Quote from: MadCapellan
Please, who doesn't lie to their enemies, particularly if it will cause them to drop their guard or loosen their grip.

It's this sort of thing - the brazen admission that the Confederation does not consider itself bound by any treaty it signs - that makes me wonder why anyone is ever stupid enough to make any agreement with the Confederation at all. Isn't this practically the textbook definition of a rogue state?

If you don't give them anything, they really aren't leeching.  Just because someone lives next door do me doesn't mean they are taking anything from me, nor does it mean they are providing me with anything.  They are simply worthless neighbors, essentially. 

They are taking up space. They are de facto owning land. They purchase items from domestic markets, and sell their labour in order to be able to do so.

The fact is that servitors don't exist in a walled off bubble from the rest of Capellan society. They live in it every day, use and consume the resources of the state (for presumably you would say that all the land within the Confederation is ultimately the property of the state), and contribute to the societies they live in. It is impossible for it to be otherwise.

The Confederation does not provide a servitor with a thin yuan.

It is demonstrably true that servitors, purely by living in the Confederation, make use of resources that you would consider to be the property of the Confederation.

Doesn't really bother me any.  If they wanted society's help they should have contributed.  There's no free lunch in life.

Question: so you deny that there any human rights or civil rights? Would you argue that there are no rights of any sort, outside of those created by social convention, and which may therefore by denied by social convention to any arbitrarily selected sub-set of the populace?

It most certainly does.  By refusing to coddle these miscreants, we've set the example that nothing is free.  Society simply doesn't have to put up with and provide for you.  A better society comes from those in it giving back to it.  By not wasting resources on those who don't wish to participate, we provide a better life for those that do.

As above: things are free. Servitors do use the resources of the Capellan state. Even on the most basic level imaginable, purely by existing servitors have received a great deal of benefit. A servitor who lives on a Capellan world makes constant use of public resources: he or she lives on a planet that was terraformed and colonised, in a society built and administered by the efforts of countless others, and so on and so forth. Servitors use public goods every time they walk down a road, sit on a park bench, or see by the light of a street-lamp. This strange idea that somehow servitors receive nothing from the state and have no relation with the state is, to be frank, entirely asinine. And turning it around the other way, servitors do contribute to society as well, simply by working and being able to purchase the necessities of life.

At any rate. You mention 'participation'. That's the word that really worries me. Becoming a citzen means participating in a series of approved activities. These activities are selected and judged on the basis of political orthodoxy, and with an eye to indoctrination. While civil rights can be stripped in other states, this only occurs on the basis of criminal, i.e. grossly anti-social, behaviour, which can be judged with a far greater eye to objectivity. (See p. 109-113 of the 3025 HLSB. I consider it valid, as we are not simply discussing the Confederation of 3067, but the Confederation in general. The much more recent HB:HL, even though it's from a pro-Liao source, still admits to this. P. 114 notes programmes of 'social and political indoctrination', and that failure to meet the citizenship requirements is considered evidence of 'a lack of sufficient moral character'. The citizenship criteria, and the Confederation education system, are specifically designed to indoctrinate Capellans with a specific value set: that is, fanatical loyalty to the state and House Liao. See p. 116: it is education 'designed to serve and empower the state'.)

I would view this as quite unacceptable. That is: in the Capellan Confederation, basic civil liberties are contingent on one's ability to internalise and repeat a state-imposed ideology. I find it doubly unacceptable that the said ideology is one of fanatical devotion to the state. The Confederation, I would argue, is in this way openly hostile to any attempts by its people to define the values and directions of their own lives.

Quote from: Youngblood
What is a person?  Just something that wants.  Something that wants as much as it can get.

...I was going to go with 'a miserable pile of secrets' myself, but whatever floats your boat.

Both House Liao sourcebooks spell it out pretty clearly.  Initially as a young Capellan, becoming a Citizen requires a service to the State, your community.  A simple example given would be joining the Capellan Star Scouts.  Other similar options are likely volunteering to clean streets and public buildings, caretaking local libraries, helping out at the local retirement home, producing a mural exalting the Confederation, or other such acts of merit.  All of these are extremely simple tasks I wouldn't consider beyond the capabilities of any motivated individual.

And yet, spelled out pretty clearly by both House Liao sourcebooks, the servitor caste is the largest caste in the Confederation by a comfortable margin.

Either there are a hell of a lot of lazy and unmotivated individuals out there, or things aren't quite as rosy as you make them sound...

I think you completely missed the point.  Citizenship is about living for a higher purpose than yourself. 

And that purpose is the state.

That's the major issue, I think. I fully approve of living for higher purposes. It is merely the case that the Confederation decides what that purpose is and tells you what it will be.

Quote from: BlazingSky
If the CC were "misunderstood", it would be doing whatever it is they do in a manner that looks disgusting, but actually helping. Instead, the CC reminds me of the kids that would make every effort to rub others' noses in it while they had power, but calling for the teacher the moment that power shifts.

*shrug* Pretty much.

I don't see how that's possible, when the most power the Confederation ever had over other nations was to have its leader be nominally in charge of a completely throw away international body with no real power which existed for a purpose it fulfilled under his watch.  Sounds pretty straight to me.

I wonder how many non-Capellans would agree with that assessment of the Star League.

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
« Reply #343 on: 19 July 2011, 07:21:39 »
That's a cop out. An out and out one at that. Every single government in the IS has spent so long fighting petty wars that "protecting one's sovereignty" is as tired any other phrase. Even worse, they're all so "evil" that it's just jingo, plain and simple to call them good, or even neutral. Accept being evil. If the CC were "misunderstood", it would be doing whatever it is they do in a manner that looks disgusting, but actually helping. Instead, the CC reminds me of the kids that would make every effort to rub others' noses in it while they had power, but calling for the teacher the moment that power shifts.

I didn't call them or any other power in the BT Universe good.  Or "neutral."  Just because something isn't evil doesn't mean that it's necessarily good.  Of course, I didn't say that they were not good, either....

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #344 on: 19 July 2011, 11:18:42 »
(Okay, random question: is there a way to get rid of the row of emoticons immediately above the text box? The repeating animations distract me while I'm typing and I wish I could hide them.)

My apologies, my friend, but I'm not aware of any.   :-\

It's this sort of thing - the brazen admission that the Confederation does not consider itself bound by any treaty it signs - that makes me wonder why anyone is ever stupid enough to make any agreement with the Confederation at all. Isn't this practically the textbook definition of a rogue state?

Yep, our enemies are pretty foolish aren't they?  I wouldn't say that the Confederation is inherently untrustworthy, but if you've been attacking us or had a history of attacking us I can't see why you would expect us to be straight with you: that's what warfare's about.  Expecting otherwise is as silly as the Clans and their batchall nonsense.

They are taking up space.

So do trees.

They are de facto owning land.

So do beavers.  If a Citizen wants the land, he simply pushes the servitor or beaver off of it.

They purchase items from domestic markets, and sell their labour in order to be able to do so.

One purchases goods and demands a wage for one's own benefit, not that of your community.

The fact is that servitors don't exist in a walled off bubble from the rest of Capellan society. They live in it every day, use and consume the resources of the state (for presumably you would say that all the land within the Confederation is ultimately the property of the state), and contribute to the societies they live in. It is impossible for it to be otherwise.

Some benefits of the State are by their very nature ambient.  Stray cats may walk down a street or forage under streetlights, but that doesn't mean the State is expending funds or effort for their welfare.  What, do you think animals should be made citizens?  You'll have a hard time getting them to pay taxes.

Question: so you deny that there any human rights or civil rights? Would you argue that there are no rights of any sort, outside of those created by social convention, and which may therefore by denied by social convention to any arbitrarily selected sub-set of the populace?

I personally believe that there is a standard by which all people should be treated.  What I disagree with is the idea that it is the inherent responsibility of the artificially created entity known as the State to enforce such standards for all people everywhere.  Those who are outside of the State, be they in a foreign nation or simply non-Citizens, are outside of the State's responsibility.

I would view this as quite unacceptable. That is: in the Capellan Confederation, basic civil liberties are contingent on one's ability to internalise and repeat a state-imposed ideology.

Correction: In the Capellan Confederation, the State's protection and enforcement of your civil liberties are contingent on one's demonstrated willingness to act in the interests of one's community.  The State does not waste time and resources of those who do on those who cannot do so.

And yet, spelled out pretty clearly by both House Liao sourcebooks, the servitor caste is the largest caste in the Confederation by a comfortable margin.

It's extremely unclear, actually.  The HLSB seems to indicate that it is, but also insists that the vast majority are the population of worlds captured during the Succession Wars, an impossibility, since the Confederation lost ground almost constantly during them.  Considering how error ridden the rest of the book is, I take it with a huge grain of salt.

HB:HL indicates that it is the "largest caste to grow out of the Succession Wars", a pretty confusing statement, which seems to indicate that it had the most growth during the Succession Wars, because all known castes, including the servitor caste, predate the Succession Wars.

Other sources, including the Battletech RPG & some of the Dark Age material, seem to indicate that servitors make up somewhere between 20-30% of the Capellan population, which I'd say is a reasonable expectation given the number of criminals, layabouts, and inhabitants of newly reclaimed worlds there are out there.

And that purpose is the state.

That's the major issue, I think. I fully approve of living for higher purposes. It is merely the case that the Confederation decides what that purpose is and tells you what it will be.

When one defines the State as I do: as you and your fellow community members, participating of their own volition, for the betterment of the entire community, then it certainly seems like a grand thing to participate in.  I think the problem is not the Capellan State, but your inherent skepticism of government, a typical American trait, but not a universal virtue.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #345 on: 19 July 2011, 11:36:41 »
Let's try a proof!

Amaris was evil.
Amaris ruled the RWR (see Kerensky vs. Amaris).
The RWR used a lot of flamers on their 'Mechs and Vehicles (Ignus, Rampage, Whitworth).
The Capellans use flamers on their version of the Warhammer (circa 3025).
Therefore the Capellans are evil.

:D
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

HikageMaru

• Captain
« Reply #346 on: 19 July 2011, 12:11:33 »
Let's try a proof!

Amaris was evil.
The RWR used a lot of flamers on their 'Mechs and Vehicles (Ignus, Rampage, Whitworth).

Girlfriends are also evil.  Here's a simple proof.
  • We all know that girlfriends require two things: Time and Money.  Girlfriends = Time * Money
  • We also know that time is money.  Time = Money ∴ Girlfriends = Money * Money = Money2
  • And we know that money is the root of all Evil.  √Evil = Money ∴ Girlfriends = √Evil2
  • Of course, taking the root and the square of something cancels each other out.  Girlfriends = Evil.
So the solution to evil in the Inner Sphere... everyone should get married or remain celibate.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #347 on: 19 July 2011, 12:15:40 »
So the solution to evil in the Inner Sphere... everyone should get married or remain celibate.
And thus the Clans rule the universe.

Also, as a Canopian first, I must take great umbrage with your suggestion sir.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #348 on: 19 July 2011, 12:19:31 »

Of course. They are women and Herb's Grand Theory of Humanity states that women are evil. No proof needed.

HikageMaru

• Captain
« Reply #349 on: 19 July 2011, 12:55:37 »
Also, as a Canopian first, I must take great umbrage with your suggestion sir.

The proof doesn't work in Canopia because in Canopia, they're free.  Proof fails.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #350 on: 19 July 2011, 12:59:33 »
Canopia?

HikageMaru

• Captain
« Reply #351 on: 19 July 2011, 13:32:46 »
Canopia?
Yeah. Said it on purpose. Sounds more matriarchal then "Magistracy of Canopus."

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #352 on: 19 July 2011, 13:36:25 »
You make me sad.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #353 on: 19 July 2011, 13:46:38 »
Let's try a proof!

Amaris was evil.

This intrigues me. It also is a step towards crowning Kevin Bacon as the Chancellor though, and that's a path not to be followed.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #354 on: 19 July 2011, 13:48:39 »
This intrigues me. It also is a step towards crowning Kevin Bacon as the Chancellor though, and that's a path not to be followed.

Surely it is superior to Kevin Costner!

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #355 on: 19 July 2011, 13:54:19 »
Surely it is superior to Kevin Costner!

Jim Gordon: "Bacon is the Chancellor the Confederation deserves, but not the one that it needs." :P

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #356 on: 19 July 2011, 19:47:36 »
  • We all know that girlfriends require two things: Time and Money.  Girlfriends = Time * Money
  • We also know that time is money.  Time = Money ∴ Girlfriends = Money * Money = Money2
  • And we know that money is the root of all Evil.  √Evil = Money ∴ Girlfriends = √Evil2
I know I did a version of this and ended up with a different answer other than girls=evil.  I remember what the answer was.  I cannot remember precisely how I got there.  And it's going to bother me all evening now.  Thanks a lot.

Clearly, this proves that Capellans aren't evil, just jerks.   ;)

Mecha-Anchovy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #357 on: 19 July 2011, 20:02:23 »
Yep, our enemies are pretty foolish aren't they?  I wouldn't say that the Confederation is inherently untrustworthy, but if you've been attacking us or had a history of attacking us I can't see why you would expect us to be straight with you: that's what warfare's about.  Expecting otherwise is as silly as the Clans and their batchall nonsense.

I do recall that the last time I was in one of those BattleTech RPs, playing a house lord, I did find myself constantly wishing I could make time to finish Hanse's job. The Confederation was the most hideously annoying successor state. Would have really liked to get around to wiping it out at some point...

Some benefits of the State are by their very nature ambient.  Stray cats may walk down a street or forage under streetlights, but that doesn't mean the State is expending funds or effort for their welfare.  What, do you think animals should be made citizens?  You'll have a hard time getting them to pay taxes.

The point is that servitors play active roles in the economic and social lives of their communities. This is undeniable.

I personally believe that there is a standard by which all people should be treated.  What I disagree with is the idea that it is the inherent responsibility of the artificially created entity known as the State to enforce such standards for all people everywhere.  Those who are outside of the State, be they in a foreign nation or simply non-Citizens, are outside of the State's responsibility.

Who decides what the state's responsibility is? As you have it, the state itself is able to decide what its responsibility is.

Correction: In the Capellan Confederation, the State's protection and enforcement of your civil liberties are contingent on one's demonstrated willingness to act in the interests of one's community.  The State does not waste time and resources of those who do on those who cannot do so.

Aren't you identifying 'community' with 'the state'? Servitors live and act in the interests of their local communities; though they may not act in the interests of the state. Further: what is one's community? For example, didn't Pavel Ridzik or Candace Liao act in the interests of their communities when they created the Tikonov Free Republic and St. Ives Compact? They acted to spare their worlds invasion, and obtained a good deal of economic and material aid from neighbouring states as a result.

At any rate. One's community is not the state. 'Community' is a general term for a population; 'state' refers specifically to the government. A community can change states; indeed, acting in the interests of one's community can necessitate destroying the state.

It's extremely unclear, actually.  The HLSB seems to indicate that it is, but also insists that the vast majority are the population of worlds captured during the Succession Wars, an impossibility, since the Confederation lost ground almost constantly during them.  Considering how error ridden the rest of the book is, I take it with a huge grain of salt.

HB:HL indicates that it is the "largest caste to grow out of the Succession Wars", a pretty confusing statement, which seems to indicate that it had the most growth during the Succession Wars, because all known castes, including the servitor caste, predate the Succession Wars.

Yes, I did find that amusing as well. Worlds captured in the Succession Wars? Ah, yes, during all those great Capellan victories! Victories like -

Oh. Oh, wait.

;D

Still, both books are clear that the servitor caste is very large. I would not be surprised if the Succession Wars were an excuse or justification for what is, in reality, a damning indictment of the Confederation's claim to social equity.

When one defines the State as I do: as you and your fellow community members, participating of their own volition, for the betterment of the entire community, then it certainly seems like a grand thing to participate in.

Unfortunately, that's not what the word 'state' means. Going by that definition, service to the state can include overthrowing the Capellan government itself. As above, I think what you've really done there is identified 'community' with the Capellan state; which makes the whole definition circular.

Still, it's unfair of me to define your terms for you. Tell me, then. How is a person to identify his or her community?

I think the problem is not the Capellan State, but your inherent skepticism of government, a typical American trait, but not a universal virtue.

Actually, I'm not American. Not even remotely.

And, for that matter, I find American culture disturbingly patriotic. A few years back an American friend reminded me that Americans actually say the Pledge of Allegiance in schools, and that creeps the hell out of me. I'd also say that the amount of power Americans are happy to give the president makes me uncomfortable, but I think I might be getting a bit much into real world politics. Best for me to shut up while I'm ahead. ;)

Anyway, one last thing. I should clarify. I don't think Capellans are evil; that is, the people who inhabit the worlds of the Capellan Confederation. They're just ordinary people, doing their best to survive and prosper. Criticising them would be petty tribalism. I think that the structure of the Capellan state is immensely unjust and that it should be either radically reformed or destroyed; but that's a different point. If the Capellan people were actually evil, then I would just sit here hating them, and probably be glad that they have the sort of the government they deserve. The point is that they should have a better government.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2011, 20:03:56 by Mecha-Anchovy »

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #358 on: 19 July 2011, 20:33:15 »
Given enough time, I would say, popular movements will have an effect in any state: even the Draconis Combine, or a similarly repressive state. That is not the issue. Rather, it's whether the structure of the state allows those movements to have an effect.

More than likely. Considering that this particular movement has been gaining greater impetus, and helping to further redefine the status of the servitor in the eyes of Capellan society, as well as the fact that it's a directed effort by Sun-Tzu to bring the servitors greater rights.

The Confederation, by virtue of the greater societal shifts evidenced by the Xin Sheng movement, can handle change in the redefinition of its structure. And it was proved again, previously, during the fundamental political/societal transition of rule from Romano to Sun-Tzu.

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #359 on: 19 July 2011, 21:17:45 »
I know I did a version of this and ended up with a different answer other than girls=evil.  I remember what the answer was.  I cannot remember precisely how I got there.  And it's going to bother me all evening now.  Thanks a lot.

Clearly, this proves that Capellans aren't evil, just jerks.   ;)

You know, I think I actually prefer that term, jerk. {>{>

Register