Author Topic: O/ An EvE Online Thread  (Read 14923 times)

Van Gogh

• Sergeant
Re: O/ An EvE Online Thread
« Reply #60 on: 21 February 2012, 05:31:32 »
Well, you still need to hide the presence of such babies from the Pandemic lot... Three hours is more than enough for them to chain jump across New Eden and happily drop dozens of MS and titans with Baalghorn support on their back  :).

Moreover, I don't think the two Aeons were in triage mode, as they couldn't have received any amount of remote before the end of the cycle. Looks more like a capacitor chain enabling the use of several remote reps on each other (helped by the ungodly high resists, as you point out).

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #61 on: 21 February 2012, 13:59:56 »
It's the possibility of engagements like this that really make the game for me:

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #62 on: 21 February 2012, 17:31:27 »
...Are those golden orbs explosions?
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 21 February 2012, 17:36:26 »
Missile salvos.  The whitish-blue are player ship explosions.
« Last Edit: 21 February 2012, 17:39:21 by Aokarasu »

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #64 on: 21 February 2012, 20:18:16 »
Well, you still need to hide the presence of such babies from the Pandemic lot... Three hours is more than enough for them to chain jump across New Eden and happily drop dozens of MS and titans with Baalghorn support on their back  :).

Moreover, I don't think the two Aeons were in triage mode, as they couldn't have received any amount of remote before the end of the cycle. Looks more like a capacitor chain enabling the use of several remote reps on each other (helped by the ungodly high resists, as you point out).

This was Back In The Day when people laughed at using neuts and Moms would sologatecamp lowsec gates. Some Nerfbats later...

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #65 on: 21 February 2012, 22:17:14 »
Missile salvos.  The whitish-blue are player ship explosions.
Soooo many missiles in the air.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 21 February 2012, 22:26:49 »
Soooo many missiles in the air.

Since most players group all of their launchers together, who knows how many actual missiles those blobs represent?

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #67 on: 21 February 2012, 23:19:12 »
Since most players group all of their launchers together, who knows how many actual missiles those blobs represent?
Exactly "so many missiles in the air"
Are they all rockets or the guided missiles are actually being used more in PvP now?

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: 21 February 2012, 23:33:40 »
Guided missiles have been pretty heavily used since I first started PvPing a little less than a year ago or so.  Rockets are primarily used on Frigates, and are short range, as I'm sure you know.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #69 on: 22 February 2012, 05:06:02 »
Back when I played, the guided missiles were hardly used in PvP at all except in roaming gang warfare because of their non-instant damage (flight time from mothership to target). Rockets and their bigger cousins were used more often because they could do good damage and their flight time was briefer due to their very fast travel speed.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 22 February 2012, 08:17:40 »
Heavy missiles have gained acceptance nowadays (might be related to people realizing the drake is actually good at PvP and making it FOTM).  I believe cruise missiles are still somewhat maligned, though.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: 22 February 2012, 09:10:32 »
Cruise missiles are considered "okay" for structure bashing, but are generally considered impractical for PvP.  Even with good support skills, their flight time and RoF don't make them a viable weapon system.

The Drake is a brick (as far as EHP goes), so its "mediocre" DPS from missiles and their delayed damage application are accepted, since they tend to stay in the fight a bit longer.  Winmatar is still FotM, since ACs can hit out to ridiculous range, even if it is falloff, and they don't use capacitor to fire, unlike lasers and hybrids.  Couple that with hulls that are among the fastest and most agile, especially when shield tanked/buffered, what's not to like?

Blasters are the preferred hybrid, because of their hull-melting capability.  Of course, the hulls that tend to do better with them are armor bricks that have trouble getting into engagement range.

Rails are still the red-headed stepchild, even with the so-called "buff" to hybrids that came with Crucible.  They aren't as bad as they used to be, but the general populace still doesn't want to give them a try, because their main niche - ultra-sniper, is really hard to apply in PvP.  Arty has much higher alpha, which is great for instapopping logistics, but a heinous RoF.

I'm not a laser guy, but one of their bigger advantages (to my mind, anyway) is not needing to reload, and pretty much insta-switching of crystals for different ranges.  I always see comments about "Scorch," the Tech 2 freq crystal for pulse lasers, I believe, that makes them pretty godly.  Lasers are pretty effective against shield-tanked fleets, due to the resistance holes.

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: 22 February 2012, 13:23:56 »
we took out a pos the other day that had ran out of fuel, then went after a territory marker, i believe, and I thought I had plenty of ammo. I was wrong. I ended up flying back 6 jumps, getting another ship, refitting, stuffing it with ammo I had to buy off the market out there, then back 8 jumps to the party. Not having to worry about ammo would have been nice and would have allowed me to do a lot more damage then I did. ALso, it wouldn't have forced me to basically fly around unarmed. >:(

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 22 February 2012, 14:05:52 »
It's the possibility of engagements like this that really make the game for me:

"They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful..."

I accidentally flew into one engagement that I thought was like the Battle of Endor. Turns out it was a minor, everyday, skirmish.

Someday, I'll hire someone to play EVE for me.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: 22 February 2012, 14:37:27 »
For the uninitiated, I'll break down the color key:

Purple = in your fleet/gang
Green = in your Corp
Dark Blue = Excellent standing with you/your corp/alliance
Light Blue = Good standing
Gray = Neutral
Orange = Bad Standing
Red = Terrible standing

The symbol that looks like a moon eclipsing a planet, vertically, is a pod, or capsule.  Seeing that one the field generally means their ship has been vaped.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #75 on: 22 February 2012, 14:39:37 »
It's not a real battle till the node stars crawling.
I guess now hat means time slows down or something.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #76 on: 22 February 2012, 15:26:31 »
It's not a real battle till the node stars crawling.
I guess now hat means time slows down or something.
I say it is a real battle WHEN you can see at least 17+ titans just in that screen shot :P

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #77 on: 22 February 2012, 15:41:12 »
Meh, supercaps are like weeds these days.  I remember when getting just a few on each side was a holy crap moment for all involved.  Back then hearing about how BoB lost 2 Titans caused everyone to go O_o
« Last Edit: 22 February 2012, 15:42:54 by BirdofPrey »

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #78 on: 23 February 2012, 18:42:28 »
Yeah, nowadays, its dial "1-800-Hot-Drop"

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
« Reply #79 on: 23 February 2012, 20:50:19 »
It's just getting stupid. Almost to the point where I want to see everyone reset to a noob ship and 5k isk. They can keep their SP but the implants have to go.

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #80 on: 23 February 2012, 21:08:53 »
I for one, would stop playing EVE completely. So would my entire alliance. We don't even own sov (Yet. Working on that.), and I can tell you right now the entire alliance would up and leave. Now extend that to the entirety of CFC, DRF, etc. and then EVE would be just as dead. ::)

And in a year, when everyone has sov again, and still have their skillpoints and what not and grind up, Supercapital production will be right back to where we are today, and then what are you going to do, reset again?

The problem with Titans is that enough people can fly them, and there's more then enough of a manufacturing base to support dozens of Titans and Moms per Nullsec Faction. You have Goonswarm and DRF's outrageous manufacturing capabilities, organizations such as Capital Constructions who produce everything for a living, the list goes on.

Except, instead of taking years to do it, it'll take a year as everyone has to madrush for the money to get fleets back up and running. Of course, you'll go into Nullsec and find real estate that's open due to no one living there.

As long as there's a market to produce Capitals, they will be manufactured. For Industrialists, they are the end goal. For Combat Pilots, they are the end goal. For Alliances, its the way you can protect your sov.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #81 on: 22 March 2012, 12:30:43 »
So, 30 days ago, the corp I'm a member of (Hephaestus LLC) joined a sov-holding alliance in Pure Blind - "Get Off My Lawn."  It's been a good bit of fun, as the alliance members aren't all about "internet spaceships is srs bzns."  This doesn't mean they'll just throw ships away in a brawl, but don't get too chuffed about it, overall.  They are, however, a bit merciless in applying (good-natured) grief to an alliance member whose destroyed carrier mounted an LSE II.

Just last night we took a 30-ish man crew on a roam with nothing but Thrashers and 3 frigates that I know of (Rifter, Harpy, Merlin).

Results:

1st engagement

2nd engagement

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #82 on: 25 March 2012, 14:33:43 »
If you ever wanted to see what it was like to lose the equivalent of $6,200 in one fight, take a look at this battle report.

NCdot lost three titans in one battle last night.

keisukekun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • A Love Suicide
« Reply #83 on: 25 March 2012, 14:52:38 »
Nice Im in the CFC too: Fatal Ascension in fade.  Its great to see fellow members over here.  Sadly I missed the fight yesterday T_T.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #84 on: 25 March 2012, 15:00:16 »
I'm in Get Off My Lawn.   O0

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #85 on: 25 March 2012, 15:45:09 »
Hmm. My corp of about six to seven guys is looking for something more interesting then Highsec. Who do we talk to potentially join. Mazrim Saidrian is my character if you wanna drop me a line.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #86 on: 25 March 2012, 15:48:24 »
The recruiting post for my corp can be found here.  I am the corp recruiter, so you can contact me through the various means mentioned in the post.  We are a PvP focused corp/alliance, but we also do PvE, mining and industry.