Author Topic: RPGs in SPAAAAAAAACCCCCCCEEE  (Read 9168 times)

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: RPGs in SPAAAAAAAACCCCCCCEEE
« Reply #30 on: 28 February 2012, 18:05:23 »
Bah, I know the group. I think we would be all better off if we kicked the kids out, drove Am nuts, and just sat down and watched Crest of the Stars all night. Have you noticed how far off track we get when using a system we're all already familiar with? Something new, and we'll never get anything accomplished.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #31 on: 28 February 2012, 19:02:42 »
You could go for Jovian Chronicals, its not interstellar travel, but its pretty strong roleplaying in space genre.   Plus it has 'Mechs.  ;)
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 28 February 2012, 20:00:23 »
How about D20 Modern with the D20 Future supplement?  I’ve never tried it personally, but it might be one to go with if your group happens to like the D20 rules set.  I recall that the D20 Future book had rules for campaigns that might fit the bill

Traveller is of course a great option as well, and there seems to be a few versions of the rules to use……..original, GRUPS, even D20 (called “T20”, but essentially a heavily modified version of the D20 rules).

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."
-Attributed to General Aleksandr Kerensky

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 28 February 2012, 21:14:24 »
If you go with (Classic) Traveller and decide to run Adventure 0 (or A 0 as it's known shorthand), A 0 is more a Campaign than an adventure and a good framework to hang Published and your own Home Brew adventures off of. I've bean running it myself since new years for a single player with a good amount of success.

It's bean many years since I've played or run a TNE Star Vikings game but they are lots of fun, you can mix it up one Tour your out doing Survey, Exploration & Contact, to spice things up throw in some Relic Technology Salvage and run in's with Pirates, The Guild and perhaps a Vampire scare. The next your off on a Contact/Diplomacy mission or running Smash & Grabs on Teddies Weapons & Tech Cashes and Cold Recoveries on forgotten WMD stockpiles.

the Wikipedia page is a good place to start deciding between editions as are the FFE homepage and the Travller Wiki pages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveller_%28game%29
http://www.farfuture.net/
http://traveller.wikia.com/wiki/Traveller_Wiki

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #34 on: 29 February 2012, 00:56:23 »
Is CthuluTech still being published? It's mostly Earth based, but there are space-based plot hooks that could be exploited.

Supposedly. Unveiled Threats was the last book released, back in November 2010.

The newest source, Dead Gods, was supposed to have been released in March 2011, but it's been stuck in limbo for much of the time since. No new release date has been set.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #35 on: 29 February 2012, 13:12:28 »
I just remembered another one:
Heimot
Translated by Google
We can scratch that over: I e-mailed and got response that game is sold only in finnish language and there won't be any translations in near future. So that game is finnish exclusive right now. Maybe I should buy that for myself...
*Looks at pile of unread (BattleTech) books
Maybe not yet ::)
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #36 on: 29 February 2012, 16:28:37 »
Cosmic Patrol?

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #37 on: 01 March 2012, 07:15:10 »
nerd you talk like having a character killed off during creation (before the game starts) is actually a good thing.

I would argue that being able to be killed (or horribly crippled when not intended as a plot hook) during charactor creation is more of a bad thing

Which brings us to the VERY FIRST house rule I was ever involved in. If your character did not make the survival roll, you were immediately discharged from service with a one point reduction in one of your physical attributes, determined randomly.
Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #38 on: 01 March 2012, 08:49:37 »
Which brings us to the VERY FIRST house rule I was ever involved in. If your character did not make the survival roll, you were immediately discharged from service with a one point reduction in one of your physical attributes, determined randomly.

Exception: If you REALLY did not like how things were going already, let the character die and start over with a sense of relief because,
if you hadn't died....well...Steven Hawkings had better mobility and communication CAPABILITIES then you...(honestly..that is
what I always really saw the 'Aww...I died in Chargen' results as...a convenient lie you could tell the GM)
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #39 on: 01 March 2012, 13:04:01 »
Exception: If you REALLY did not like how things were going already, let the character die and start over with a sense of relief because,
if you hadn't died....well...Steven Hawkings had better mobility and communication CAPABILITIES then you...(honestly..that is
what I always really saw the 'Aww...I died in Chargen' results as...a convenient lie you could tell the GM)

No, we didn't have that exception.
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #40 on: 01 March 2012, 21:58:41 »
No, we didn't have that exception.

I would HATE to make a traveler character in that group, then....(Seriously! I never rolld 'dead', but I would get
every OTHER bad possibility, it seemed....)
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #41 on: 01 March 2012, 22:02:49 »
I would HATE to make a traveler character in that group, then....(Seriously! I never rolld 'dead', but I would get
every OTHER bad possibility, it seemed....)

Not to worry, it was about 30 years ago.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #42 on: 01 March 2012, 22:08:58 »
Not to side track the thread too much.  Which Traveller is the current one anyways?  I've been always confused on which one it was. 

A guys ran a really slick game at con i went through,  Monitor showing characters, the maps, while players got dossiers of their appointed characters they were playing.   I never asked which one it was.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #43 on: 01 March 2012, 22:15:18 »
Traveller.  The ORIGINAL Traveller RPG-three little books in a black box.

I must concur with my learned friend. Although it does make me smile, remembering a bunch of teenagers sitting around role-playing people in their 30s and 40s ... Happy days.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #44 on: 01 March 2012, 22:17:01 »

Honestly, I always considered it to be a sign of a bad game system if it was possible, via random rolling, to wind up with a character who was game-breakingly crippled in some way during character gen.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #45 on: 01 March 2012, 22:22:51 »
Not to side track the thread too much.  Which Traveller is the current one anyways?  I've been always confused on which one it was. 

There's two "current" Traveller editions: Traveller 5th ed (T5), which is published by Far Future Enterprises and developed by Marc Miller (the original Trav developer), and is in Beta.  FFE also sells ebooks of older Trav editions on CD.

The other is Mongoose Traveller, which if published by... Mongoose and is developed by a couple of their usual writers.  It follows the original Traveller's style fairly well.  It also has an open game license so anyone can develop for it.  Mongoose do a line of generic books for it, a series based on the official Third Imperium setting, and sourcebooks based on other SF universes.

On top of that, there's also GURPS and D20 Traveller mods, I'm not sure if they're still in print or not.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #46 on: 01 March 2012, 22:25:04 »

A guys ran a really slick game at con i went through,  Monitor showing characters, the maps, while players got dossiers of their appointed characters they were playing.   I never asked which one it was.

http://www.farfuture.net/hardcopy.html

Yummy Classic Traveller! (And T:2K also)

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #47 on: 01 March 2012, 22:28:47 »
One very significant thing about the GURPS adaptation of Traveller is it occurred during a time when Steve Jackson Games incested a huge amount of effort into reducing the initimidation factor of the game which most tend to consider to be in the character creation.  Correspondingly, the Gurps:Trav books have character templates which are pre-gen archetypical characters without all their points spent.  The result is that regardless of what you do, you end up with a charcter that is competent in the core area while havign a fair bit of personalization without being overwhelming to finalize.

Plus, they have the extravagant level of support one would expect when a rich man (Steve J.) indulges in a personal pet project with cost not being the primary consideration.

-Jackmc

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #48 on: 01 March 2012, 23:06:08 »
I am or was a big fan or Gurps in general
was about to start a homebrew campaign may years ago
using couple H Beam Piper novels as a starting point

that would have been fun
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #49 on: 01 March 2012, 23:41:49 »
A really old RPG that I played way back in the early 80's was Star Frontiers. IIRC, you could start out by being one of five races. Human, some type of flying monkey race, a shape shifting blob race, a large multi legged bug race and one other I can't seem to remember offhand (Sathar?). Lot of good scenarios with that game. Easy to pick up.

Then in high school a friend of mine got the RPG Space Opera. It was okay.

Force

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #50 on: 02 March 2012, 00:02:11 »
and one other I can't seem to remember offhand (Sathar?).

Nope that was the bad guys.

-Jackmc

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #51 on: 02 March 2012, 00:23:55 »
A really old RPG that I played way back in the early 80's was Star Frontiers. IIRC, you could start out by being one of five races. Human, some type of flying monkey race, a shape shifting blob race, a large multi legged bug race and one other I can't seem to remember offhand (Sathar?). Lot of good scenarios with that game. Easy to pick up.

The flying monkey-race are the anthropoid/ape-like Yazirians, the shape-shifting blobs are the amoeboid Dralasites, and the insectoid Vrusk are the requisite "bug-race."

Zebulon's Guide to Frontier Space introduced several other races, including:- the Ifshnit [basically, space-dwarves], the Osakar [parthenogenic quadrupeds], the Humma [which were, essentially, kangaroos], and my personal favourite, the Mechanons [thinking robots].

Nope that was the bad guys.

-Jackmc

Enemies of the United Planetary Federation. But there were rumours that they had secret allies somewhere.

Regardless, the sathar usually weren't a racial option for PCs.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: 02 March 2012, 01:52:56 »

ATM T5 is in Bata test, Mongoose is printing books for their version, SJG still has a valid license and many of their books are still in stock and though it's thin on the ground has some online support.

Classic Traveller is in Reprints and on CD-ROM, MegaTraveller & Traveller: The New Era are also available on CD-ROM.

the D20 License for T20 has expired and the books have bean pulled, don't know the status of Hero Traveller.

Classic (CT), Mega (MT) and Mongoose (MgT) are the easiest to convert between each other.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #53 on: 02 March 2012, 02:07:26 »
FASA had one called Renegade Legion: Centurion I believe that was the RPG setting for the Renegade Legion games

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #54 on: 02 March 2012, 02:20:44 »
The RenLeg RPG was called Legionnaire - it was pretty good.  Centurion was the tank combat game.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Korsar

• Corporal
  • Meet Demi-Precentor Kingslay
« Reply #55 on: 02 March 2012, 12:09:01 »
Let me throw one or two odd ones in...

1.) Diaspora - It's based on the FATE system, which means it can get quite metagamy, but, as I discovered recently is a lot of fun to play. Especially because you and your buddies get to design your own universe at the beginning. Don't worry, the process shouldn't take longer than one session.

2.) Ashen Stars - I haven't played but it is based on the Gumshoe system which I really, really like. It's more investigation based, so this might be a little problem

and for fun:

3.) 3:16 - A little Indy game that you can use for a few evenings in between. Basically it's "shoot the alien, conquer the planet, R&R, repeat ad nauseam"  ;D

3067: Demi-Precentor Jack "Korsar" Kingslay, 22nd Propaganda Detachment, WoB

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #56 on: 02 March 2012, 19:59:45 »
Star*Drive?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #57 on: 02 March 2012, 23:38:35 »
Star*Drive?

Ruger

I'll gladly second Star*Drive. Certainly one of the best settings ever published for the space-adventure RPG genre.

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
    • Cut Code Down - Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #58 on: 03 March 2012, 01:23:08 »
Toon man... Toon.
Death will take those who fight alone.
But united we can break a fate once set in stone.

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Sledge

« Reply #59 on: 05 March 2012, 20:06:56 »
Looks like Traveller is both most recommended and highly accessible. I guess that intro adventure should be a good guide to see if we like it.