Author Topic: Computer people, I need your help  (Read 1668 times)

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
Computer people, I need your help
« on: 11 March 2012, 23:29:59 »
This is probably gonna be a simple bit for you guys, but I am not really tech savy. Anyway, I just bought a router and have it all set up for wifi, on my laptop, and a direct ethernet cable connect to my pc. My PC is running XP the laptop is Win 7 and I connect to the net through a satellite modem. Here's the issue. I have file sharing on and such, both computers have net access but I can't seem to network the two together so they can see each other. What do I have to do now so they can see and share back and forth
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
Re: Computer people, I need your help
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2012, 02:50:53 »
Ignoring for the moment how much trouble the Windows default permissions can be (an Everybody group? Really?), all you really need to do is tell Win7 you have an Workgroup of "X", then tell XP you have a Homegroup of the same name.

You do have to start turning things on in the Sharing tab of a drives' (or subdirectories) Properties tab, but that's secondary.

So much faster then sneakernet, even with thumbdrives, eh? ^-^
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
    • Cut Code Down - Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2012, 03:39:29 »
You also have to make sure XP is updated all the way, and that the right sharing protocols are even set up -- Vista/newer using different sharing security than XP/lower did, so it's a bit of work to get them to talk to each-other.

As goose said, you have to make sure both have the same 'workgroup' -- computerWorld has a little guide on setting that up:
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9019179/Teach_XP_and_Vista_to_play_nice_on_networks

On their second page, they cover updating XP so it can actually talk to vista/newer.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9019179/Teach_XP_and_Vista_to_play_nice_on_networks?taxonomyId=16&pageNumber=2

Specifically you need to download and install this:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4F01A31D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displaylang=en

on the XP machine so it can actually see the Vista/7 computer.
Death will take those who fight alone.
But united we can break a fate once set in stone.

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2012, 08:14:03 »
goose I think you got the workgroup/homegroup reversed but ...

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2012, 09:43:31 »
Ignoring for the moment how much trouble the Windows default permissions can be (an Everybody group? Really?), all you really need to do is tell Win7 you have an Workgroup of "X", then tell XP you have a Homegroup of the same name.

To add to this, unless you're running an Active Directory server (which I hope you aren't.  PITA) you'll need to enable write permissions once they're sharing.  You can have a 'ShadowRaven' user on both computers, with the same passwords and they won't be considered the same account.  Windows will see 'XP Computer/ShadowRaven' and 'Win7 Computer/ShadowRaven'.  The easiest (although horrible security) is to give the 'Everyone' group write permission.

The alternative is to manually ensure that each Computer has the other computer's user in it's own local permission list.

But that's down the road- you need to get them sharing first.

You can 'share' a folder by right clicking it in Windows Explorer (Right click 'start' and select 'Explore' or 'Open Windows Explorer') and then selecting 'Properties'.  Next, select the 'Sharing' tab and click 'Share...'

Note that one of the ways around manually configuring permissions or adding the 'write' permission to the Everyone group is to do away with the Workgroup/Homegroup thing entirely.

Instead, share the folder you want on the computers, then 'map' the share as a 'network drive' on the other computer.  This would use the local credentials (you essentially log into the other machine) and it's the way I, personally, would go about it.

It requires you to manually set a static IP address on each computer though.
« Last Edit: 12 March 2012, 09:46:50 by Sid »
Formerly known as 'Phad'

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2012, 10:38:46 »
thanks muchly.  O0

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2012, 17:55:52 »
To add to this, unless you're running an Active Directory server (which I hope you aren't.  PITA) you'll need to enable write permissions once they're sharing.  You can have a 'ShadowRaven' user on both computers, with the same passwords and they won't be considered the same account.  Windows will see 'XP Computer/ShadowRaven' and 'Win7 Computer/ShadowRaven'.  The easiest (although horrible security) is to give the 'Everyone' group write permission.

The alternative is to manually ensure that each Computer has the other computer's user in it's own local permission list.

But that's down the road- you need to get them sharing first.

You can 'share' a folder by right clicking it in Windows Explorer (Right click 'start' and select 'Explore' or 'Open Windows Explorer') and then selecting 'Properties'.  Next, select the 'Sharing' tab and click 'Share...'

Note that one of the ways around manually configuring permissions or adding the 'write' permission to the Everyone group is to do away with the Workgroup/Homegroup thing entirely.

Instead, share the folder you want on the computers, then 'map' the share as a 'network drive' on the other computer.  This would use the local credentials (you essentially log into the other machine) and it's the way I, personally, would go about it.

It requires you to manually set a static IP address on each computer though.

actually you do not need static ip's as long as you use absolute network paths.

IE \\computername\path

this is the solution to needing the ip IE \\ip\path

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2012, 21:41:11 »
actually you do not need static ip's as long as you use absolute network paths.

IE \\computername\path

this is the solution to needing the ip IE \\ip\path

So long as NetBIOS is running, yes.  Microsoft has been trying to move away from NetBIOS for some time now though...

Personally, I find it simpler and easier to set the IPs statically (Pretty quick to do as well) than rely on Microsoft's old DNS alternative.
Formerly known as 'Phad'

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2012, 22:47:18 »
well I have them seeing each other now, and sharing data

— From a post on rpg.net

fltadm

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 15 March 2012, 14:46:34 »
Should make MegaMek easier next time I am over  O0
No Matter where you go,there you are

,,,,gotta lov "Space Cougers"

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 15 March 2012, 15:12:54 »
couldn't be any harder that's for sure.

— From a post on rpg.net

Register