Author Topic: Designation of a machine gun  (Read 3158 times)

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
Designation of a machine gun
« on: 22 March 2012, 12:37:35 »
A friend of mine was talking about an AR variant, but didn't know the designation.  It has a (semi-)modular barrel allowing for swap outs to Assault Rifle, Sniper Rifle, and a .50 cal variant.  Anyone know the gun he's talking about?
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Designation of a machine gun
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2012, 12:55:55 »
A friend of mine was talking about an AR variant, but didn't know the designation.  It has a (semi-)modular barrel allowing for swap outs to Assault Rifle, Sniper Rifle, and a .50 cal variant.  Anyone know the gun he's talking about?

AR's are interesting beasts, because what you describe?

That's ALL of them.  You can buy "Top half" assemblies (Upper reciever, bolt and barrel) and trade them between "Lowers" without tools, and the only other part needed is a magazine if you're doing caliber changes that utilize the same magazine well.  (Most .50 uppers are either single-shot, or repeating bolt with the .50 caliber magazine being a side-mount.)

Got any further details on layout of your friend's model? 
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2012, 13:24:15 »
Not really, he said it was a recent (within the last few years) model.  He wants to use one in a RPG I'm running, and I know I can make stats for it if I have the information to work from.

Live Long and Prosper

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2012, 16:25:26 »
He's wrong - it's the design inherent to the AR-15 that allows it.  As long as you don't try to change calibers (most times), you can choose upper receivers that come in 24" target bull-barrels with bipods, monster scopes, and downright terrifying accuracy potential, all the way down to a 7" barrel for something like an MP-5 sized toy.  As far as .50 goes, http://www.tactilite.com/ for the Big Boom, http://www.cabelas.com/15-alexander-arms-50-beowulf-entry-kit.shtml if he was thinking of the smaller gun (it uses .223 magazines, just with a monster cartridge that single-stacks in the mag).  And then there's really silly crap like http://longrangesupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2312 which doesn't even use the typical magazine, turning the well in the lower reciever into an ejection port and feeding 5.7x28 from above like a P90.  But it's not any specific model of AR-15, you can use the specialty replacement barrels on a Bushmaster, Colt, Olympic, Stag, Rock River, SW-15, or whatever other brand you want.  And if he just means swappable barrels in the same caliber, well...yeah, see above.

P.S. It gets crazier. http://www.americanhunter.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=1744&cid=61  Yes, that's real.  http://www.gunblast.com/ATI-T14.htm So is that.  Every woman knows the Little Black Dress goes with everything.  Every man knows the Little Black Rifle goes with everything too.
« Last Edit: 22 March 2012, 16:28:57 by ANS Kamas P81 »
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Falchion

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2012, 17:57:08 »
Well, as mentioned, the AR-15 has FAR too many aftermarket parts to add on, and that's not even going into the AR-10s, or the completely modular stuff like the MGI Hydra. Perhaps he was thinking of a Shrike upper as well as the aforementioned Beowulf upper?
The one, the only, the unnecessary Falchion!

mathesont

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2012, 21:17:49 »
My guess is he was talking about the Colt 901

Falchion

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2012, 22:36:46 »
I don't think the 901's compatible with any LMG upper though. :-\

Although I suppose any modern rifle is an LMG if you stick a Beta-C on it. ;D

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2012, 23:31:54 »
Another detail that might help with identification.  He watches Top Shot, and the reality show about the gun restoration shop (I forget the name of the show).

Live Long and Prosper

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2012, 23:40:05 »
Another detail that might help with identification.  He watches Top Shot, and the reality show about the gun restoration shop (I forget the name of the show).

poor unfortunate soul that he is.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #9 on: 23 March 2012, 04:35:08 »
poor unfortunate soul that he is.
Hey, now I like Sons of Guns!  Sure it's a semiscripted TV show, and they're honest about it (especially if you watch the behind-the-scenes ep this week) but they still build some crazy stuff, and hey - firearms presented in a safe and positive light in the mass media.  I'm all for it.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Taurevanime

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 23 March 2012, 05:22:27 »
Hey, now I like Sons of Guns!  Sure it's a semiscripted TV show, and they're honest about it (especially if you watch the behind-the-scenes ep this week) but they still build some crazy stuff, and hey - firearms presented in a safe and positive light in the mass media.  I'm all for it.
Some of the stuff they build I would hardly consider safe. But I agree that it is good if something is shown in a positive light on TV.

Thinking a little more about things. I find it interesting that on TV they will show fish getting speared or shot, but not any land animals.

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng
« Reply #11 on: 23 March 2012, 10:43:50 »

Call me a stick in the mud, but I stopped believing that after the boss unloaded a burst of blanks from an SMG inside the shop one time just to prank his crew.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 23 March 2012, 11:00:34 »
sons of guns is the gunshop "reality tv" show

my view.

the show is an interesting take on certain things.  I do think that they "over glamorize" firearms a bit However they do routinely tell people not to try the stuff they do at home and the behind the scenes episode they had this week was good in that they pointed out several incidents that the viewers did NOT see several incidents where someone almost got injured or killed usually because of ignorance or stupidity.

IE cameraman too close to pyro in a bus/motor home almost got clobbered by debris
a director/supervisor of the camera crew walked in front of a loaded civil war era cannon after they had just said less than 30 seconds to a minute before "Do NOT walk in front of the cannon.

3 they had a visitor firing a weapon, like the auto gernade launcher and someone who shouldn't have said "fire" and the lead cameraperson had a cow because they are the only person who is supposed to say that.

Falchion

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 23 March 2012, 11:21:49 »
GreenDragon, I think the closest thing to the idea your player's after is going to be some sort of MGI Hydra-style AR with an optional Shrike or whoever else makes these sorts of LMG uppers. Alternatively, just use a Stoner.

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 23 March 2012, 12:02:56 »
well Sons of Guns is sometimes nteresting. Top Shot scares the crap out of me in the 'some people should never allowed to play with guns' way.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 23 March 2012, 12:34:10 »
The modular barrel concept (SMG, LMG, AR, Carbine, Heavy Barrel) could be the Steyr AUG, though I don't know of any .50 mods for it. There are 9mm and .22 modifications however.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 24 March 2012, 16:49:07 »
Some more details: used by the Army Rangers, 7.62, not Beowulf, and was seen on Weaponology on the Military Channel.

Live Long and Prosper

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #17 on: 24 March 2012, 17:20:43 »
The modular barrel concept (SMG, LMG, AR, Carbine, Heavy Barrel) could be the Steyr AUG, though I don't know of any .50 mods for it. There are 9mm and .22 modifications however.

There's a .50AE conversion for the AR15. Saw a gun nut magazine write-up of it once.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

mathesont

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 24 March 2012, 18:43:49 »
Some more details: used by the Army Rangers, 7.62, not Beowulf, and was seen on Weaponology on the Military Channel.
FN Mk17 or SCAR-H if you prefer.  Quick change barrel, 5.56mm kit (causing the death of the Mk16).  Can put a long barrel on for a DMR but there is the dedicated Mk20 SSR (Sniper Support Weapon) version that is better.

Falchion

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 24 March 2012, 19:25:26 »
Yeah, SCAR-H. Again, you can probably stick a Beta-C (It's a game after all) on it and call it a GPMG if you want. O0

Then again, the same really applies with most modern weapons where you can swap scopes and other accessories like celebrities get spouses.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #20 on: 25 March 2012, 13:08:55 »
sons of guns is the gunshop "reality tv" show

my view.

the show is an interesting take on certain things.  I do think that they "over glamorize" firearms a bit However they do routinely tell people not to try the stuff they do at home and the behind the scenes episode they had this week was good in that they pointed out several incidents that the viewers did NOT see several incidents where someone almost got injured or killed usually because of ignorance or stupidity.

IE cameraman too close to pyro in a bus/motor home almost got clobbered by debris
a director/supervisor of the camera crew walked in front of a loaded civil war era cannon after they had just said less than 30 seconds to a minute before "Do NOT walk in front of the cannon.

3 they had a visitor firing a weapon, like the auto gernade launcher and someone who shouldn't have said "fire" and the lead cameraperson had a cow because they are the only person who is supposed to say that.

Was an interesting episode...and I really like Sons of Guns (see my sig), Top Shot and American Guns...

Besides, Sons of Guns have given me a much improved opinion on several guns, including the AR series...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #21 on: 25 March 2012, 13:50:15 »
While I don't know anything about it, I heard that during the Vietnam War the US Special Forces used the Stoner Weapons System to some extent.  I know I've read that it could be used as either an AR or LMG, but can't remember any more about it than that.  It seems to me that converting a weapon from 5.56mm or even 7.62mm into firing a .50 BMG round requires such extensive conversion that it couldn't really be considered the same "System" as the the two. True, going from 5.56 to 7.62 you still have to switch out the same parts as if you convert to .50 Cal, but the parts are significantly smaller as well. Finally, there's not a man alive that could fire a .50Cal AR.  There's a reason the MG is fired from a mounted position!  :o
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Register