Author Topic: Wars of Reaving timeline  (Read 3656 times)

Morokth

• Private
Wars of Reaving timeline
« on: 23 November 2012, 01:14:29 »
So throughout the Jihad Hot Spots books we got a timeline of events that had previously occurred. I'm wondering if there is such a document out there covering the events depicted in the wars of reaving book and if so if someone could point me in the right direction. I've seen the one on sarna.net but frankly it was difficult to read and I don't think it covered everything as in depth as what I'm looking for.

Help here would be awesome; thanks!

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
Re: Wars of Reaving timeline
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2012, 11:07:28 »
To the best of my knowledge there is not an officially created one from Catalyst.  It would be really tough to create one with ALL of the events of WoR efficiently since almost every paragraph is a new clan A fought clan B on planet X for a good stretch.

To the patient go the spoils

Morokth

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2012, 12:43:59 »
Absolutely true. I read the meat and potatoes of the wars last night while on duty and there was a lot of what so accurately depicting. I was thinking of doing a solo megamek campaign with a non-canon cluster or galaxy from an equally non-canon Clan, using a mix of the campaign rules found in WoR and mixing in some rules from a few other sources and see how long I could last. But what I wanted was a rough time line of events so that the events of my campaign could coincide with that of what happened as per WoR. Just cuz I'm OCD like that :)

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2012, 22:55:27 »
Ben wrote most of it. Maybe he has a timeline he used as an outline.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2012, 23:23:42 »
I want to say that Ben's said in the past after Supplement came out there were no plans to publish time-line because of how exhaustive and complex it would be.  He can come along and say he never said it and I can be wrong, but I seem to remember that when someone asked why such a thing wasn't in Supplement.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2012, 00:18:22 »
Probably have to be several dozen pages long to account for all the events that happened. And that's only counting events in the Homeworlds, if you add the periphery and the Invasion Zones it could only get bigger.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #6 on: 29 November 2012, 15:46:32 »
Could that not be a fan project?
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #7 on: 29 November 2012, 16:00:17 »
It would have to be done by a truly dedicated (demented  :o) fan......

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #8 on: 29 November 2012, 16:09:57 »
I'd be willing to take something like that on in my spare time. It's a pain to run the Wars of Reaving server, but it's worse not knowing the exact dates and order of events. :)
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #9 on: 29 November 2012, 22:44:58 »
I want to say that Ben's said in the past after Supplement came out there were no plans to publish time-line because of how exhaustive and complex it would be. 

Yep, I did say that and it's still true. ;)
Eh.

Morokth

• Private
« Reply #10 on: 29 November 2012, 23:57:23 »
Well if anyone's willing to take on this gargantuan tasked that be awesome. I've attempted to take a stab at myself but frankly I just don't have enough free time to devote to such a thing, otherwise I probably would have had it done by now. Still, would be interesting to see what comes of it all though!

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #11 on: 30 November 2012, 09:49:24 »
A timeline diminishes what WoR has going for it as just overwhelming massive war and destruction.  I liked that events were hard to keep up with.  Who could keep up with that much carnage?

As a fan project it'd be cool but I like that it was not official.

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 30 November 2012, 11:52:00 »
I think if that task would be splitted among some people it can be done. For example we could portion the work for chapter for chapter.

WoR ToC:

Trials of Position
Trials of Possessions
Reaving
Chalcas
Trials of Annihilation
Surkairede
Founder`s Future

I could projectmanage that and take a chapter, who would like to help?
« Last Edit: 30 November 2012, 12:16:50 by Gaiiten »
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #13 on: 30 November 2012, 11:56:33 »
Yep, I did say that and it's still true. ;)

Oh good, I'm not completly crazy :)

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 30 November 2012, 13:12:59 »
A timeline diminishes what WoR has going for it as just overwhelming massive war and destruction.  I liked that events were hard to keep up with.  Who could keep up with that much carnage?

As a fan project it'd be cool but I like that it was not official.

If you're trying to create a campaign for a specific Clan or faction, it's nice to know what events happened and in what order. If you're playing Snow Raven and you've just finished the battle over Lum's shipyards, what's the next step? The answer is essentially the start to a Snow Raven timeline.

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 30 November 2012, 13:15:56 »
If you're trying to create a campaign for a specific Clan or faction, it's nice to know what events happened and in what order. If you're playing Snow Raven and you've just finished the battle over Lum's shipyards, what's the next step? The answer is essentially the start to a Snow Raven timeline.

Next step for the Ravens would be fighting their way out of the reach of the Homeclans. The battles of Lum were just the beginning.

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 30 November 2012, 13:18:16 »
Next step for the Ravens would be fighting their way out of the reach of the Homeclans. The battles of Lum were just the beginning.

I'm aware of that. I'm saying that there were specific battles fought in the aftermath. Stuff that could be charted to a timeline using month, year and faction as headers in a large chart.

If I have time this week, I'll start on it for specific factions.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #17 on: 30 November 2012, 13:27:27 »
I see your point Tigershark

Maybe we need a Total Chaos 2: The Reavings

That'd give some nice tracks

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 30 November 2012, 13:39:12 »
I see your point Tigershark

Maybe we need a Total Chaos 2: The Reavings

That'd give some nice tracks

I'm going to start running specific scenarios from the Wars of Reaving on my server next Thursday, 11am PST / 2pm EST / 18:00 CET. If anyone cares to join up, we'll be playing out the debacle at the Wolf Blood Chapel.

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #19 on: 30 November 2012, 15:06:40 »
Maybe different folks could work on just their favorite Clan's timeline, then someone can combine them.

Morokth

• Private
« Reply #20 on: 30 November 2012, 21:44:55 »

More or less what I was wanting a timeline for - creating a clan loosely based on remnants of smoke jaguar with some dark caste support and Mebbe some other elements that haven't liked the way things have gone recently and then take that[/] idea and find ways to get a beach head I to the Kerensky cluster with the idea that they can reform the clans in their image - or something like that. Knowing what major events going on when will make it easier to plan my own moves so they don't totally destroying canon. At least not too much anyway

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #21 on: 30 November 2012, 22:22:49 »
Maybe different folks could work on just their favorite Clan's timeline, then someone can combine them.

This is a great idea!  Each Clan can have a very intricate timeline...   then a general timeline that shows the major events, that way it does not get completely out of control, it only threatens to do so.   :)
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

DarthRads

• Captain
  • Trust me...I'm the Doctor...
« Reply #22 on: 05 December 2012, 03:47:42 »
Here's a time-line

December 3067
KABOOOOM
January 3087

isn't that the timeframe?

All seriousness, some sort of time line might be useful, even just the major events, not necissarily every battle, just the (hmmm, this sounds familiar) Turning Points...