Author Topic: (Answered) Vehicle Effectiveness Rules and VTOLs and VTOL Special Attacks  (Read 3441 times)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
TacOps, page 107, continuing onto page 108

The Vehicle Effectiveness Rules say they can be applied to VTOL's and Large Vehicles as well but I can't figure out how most of them apply to VTOL's
• Remove the potential motive system damage from the “9” die roll result on the Front, Rear and Side columns.
VTOL's don't suffer potential motive system damage on a hit location roll of 9 but rather suffer an automatic loss of one point of MP on a rolls of 10 and 11, does this mean those rolls no longer suffer automatic loss of one point of MP or does the shot miss?

The Motive System Damage Table section is worse, VTOL's don't suffer motive system damage, so how do they apply? For the second point do I now have to roll 2d6 and on all results but a 12 I loss the point of MP as normal?

When a VTOL mounts bombs Rocket Launchers are an option as far as I am aware, but how are they used? Are they dropped like bombs or are they used as a stand-off weapon and simply added to the VTOL's normal weapons array?
« Last Edit: 11 February 2013, 14:51:23 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
VTOL Rocket Launchers would work like any other rocket launcher - fire as a normal weapon and drop.

As for VTOL motive changes, here's a bit of errata:

• Remove the potential motive system damage
from the “9” die roll result on the Front, Rear and
Side columns (not applicable to VTOLs).

That should clear up the confusion.  Thank you.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
Yeah looks like it.

Just one thing, this means that RL-10's carried as Bombs can be fired as if they were carried internally or dropped as bombs? And does this apply to other units that can carry bombs?

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
There is no 'or dropped as bombs'.  Externally-carried rocket launchers are always fired as if they were part of the carrying unit's normal internal weapons load.  This applies to aero units as well as VTOLs.

Cheers.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
Sorry to re-open this but something sprang to my mind: These rules (The VTOL Special Attack rules) allow VTOLs to make bombing attacks, now the Dive Bombing rules (Page 245 of TW) mention Altitude a couple of times, but VTOLs measure their height (Above ground) in levels, not Altitudes. Now the first mention of it is a height ceiling, which poses no problems to VTOLs, but the second one is a loss of Altitude when Dive Bombing, what happens when VTOLs perform this action then?

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Sorry, what part of the section on p. 108 regarding VTOLs and elevation/altitude is unclear specifically?

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
My question was the rules require s vehicle performing Dive Bombing to lose a certain amount of Altitude, which a VTOL doesn't have

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
p.108: "Note that unlike
an aerospace fighter, which changes altitude during a divebombing
attack a VTOL does not change elevations during a
dive-bombing attack."
The solution is just ignore Paul.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
*Bangs Head*

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
We've all been there, and I haven't stopped yet. I think my last error was vehicle arcs.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Register