Author Topic: Clan novas, C* choirs, and IS ...? Any ideas?  (Read 3829 times)

Col Toda

• Captain
Re: Clan novas, C* choirs, and IS ...? Any ideas?
« Reply #30 on: 04 December 2018, 06:16:37 »
By organizating differently than your customer base you prevent or discourage intergrated command in a contract . So you prevent or discourage contracts in which the employer would have taken full legal responsibility for the contract . I understand that this organization is done to make your unit more effective but anything that reduces your client pool can hurt . I had almost the same issues when I did my combat Engineering unit . The Clan Invasion ERA and the massive need for the services allowed differences but I had to more go more coventional in later ERAs .

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #31 on: 04 December 2018, 06:40:53 »
It is hardly a radical departure from standard I.S. organization. You can look at it as a mech company deployed with a BA company. Like wise the armor battalion is two companies of combat vehicles and two of BA., again a company deployed with a company of BA. The difference is they are trained to work together in combined arms tactics.

Besides, I never liked integrated command. Always tried for liaison, seemed to work good for the RP aspects.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #32 on: 04 December 2018, 12:43:31 »
Personally I think every mech regiment should have a permanently attached battalion of battle armor infantry anyway. Like a WWII Soviet tank brigade.

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 04 December 2018, 12:45:06 »
As of the Dark Age, that's pretty much the direction in House armies anyway. A "mech" regiment rarely has more than 1 or two mech battalions with the rest being organic conventional forces, even before considering attached auxiliaries.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #34 on: 04 December 2018, 12:45:30 »
Well, considering that mechs are the tanks of the future, yes, having future infantry attached to them like every modern tank formation makes a lot of sense. Or regular infantry, really.

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #35 on: 04 December 2018, 13:26:49 »
The light combat teams that come about in the Dark Age are just miniature RCTs.

I don't have infantry with every mech, the other two mech companies don't have attached infantry. Thou they are both reinforced with an extra lance.  ;D

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #36 on: 04 December 2018, 17:29:37 »
Its a combat group or combat task force (mostly WWII terms IIRC), take your pick . . . and then you put the appropriate size indicator before that name.  Typically Combat Groups are permanent formations while task forces are as the name indicates to carry out a task.  In one of your examples you said 12 mechs and 12 BA squads- technically that is battalion strength with a mech company & 4 BA platoons, which is understrength.

If you ever read Coyle's Team Yankee the POV formation is a reinforced company sized formation, the term in use at the time for a temporary (deployed to the border w/action imminent) combined arms formation is supposed to be Team.  The majority of the organization is Yankee Company with an attached mechanized infantry platoon for the purposes creating the lowest level combined arms combat unit for both defensive & offensive purposes.

So there you have three terms, no matter what you call it- be it Company Task Force, its actual strength needs to be noted even if you call it a smaller formation.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."