Author Topic: Nicknames for commanders  (Read 1794 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Nicknames for commanders
« on: 23 May 2017, 23:29:35 »
I am reading a new series where a character gets labelled with a moniker of 'Stellar Fox' as a starship captain . . . and IC he complains about it, comparing to Rommel with all the expected historical baggage.  I want to yell at the character- 'SWAMP Fox' for the comparison to Francis Marion instead but it got me thinking . . . we only have a few characters afaik that get nicknames for their prowess as commanders rather than individual skill at arms.

Ian & Hanse Davion- called the Hound and the Fox for tenacity & cunning respectively.  Ian's reputation is still existent over hundred years after his death as evidenced by a discussion between Kev Rosse & Rikkard Spirit Cat, members of a different faction.  Hanse's reputation for cunning is sometimes a stumbling block in diplomacy.

Jaime Wolf is often referred to as 'the Wolf' due to being the leading mercenary of the Inner Sphere with a enviable record in command.  Natasha's nickname has more to due with her prowess than command.

I want to say I saw Ulric Kerensky referenced somewhere as the Gray Wolf, a slight at his age by enemies but used by allies for wisdom IIRC but I cannot find the reference.

We also have Atomic Annie, but that is more infamy for her actions when in command than skills she displayed as a commander.

To be honest, I am not sure about too many more reputation nicknames . . . I am sure they exist, we have a lot of them in history to draw on.  I am actually surprised they do not have more in the Lyran forces as self-promotion in the social circles.  Some of the stories I have heard about commanding generals in the last 20 years hint that the 'cool' nickname they picked up were due to their PR department (not the Army's, just their command) to stoke their ego.

What would be some historical examples we should see in the BTU?  Typical monikers are about animals that are cunning or tough, hard like iron or rock, or tools like a hammer- any I missed?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Archangel

• Major
Re: Nicknames for commanders
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2017, 02:14:50 »
What would be some historical examples we should see in the BTU?  Typical monikers are about animals that are cunning or tough, hard like iron or rock, or tools like a hammer- any I missed?

Some commanders also get their nicknames because of their leadership style, preferred combat tactics, after a supernatural being/concept, their personality, a skill/achievement they picked up, a combat achievement/event, etc.

Examples:
George "Pack Rat" Wagoner (ComGuards 11th Army CO) - by the ComGuards Supply Corps for foiling Lyran Alliance's petty bureaucracy
Oscar "Rapier"/"Dueling Oscar" Wetzel (ComGuards 4th Army CO) - for his preference for maneuver warfare over set piece battles
Newton "The Hermit" Fawcett (former CO of the ComGuards' 207th Division/XO of the 1st WoBM Division) - for his aloof and unreachable public persona
Lane "The Schoolmaster" Brandenburg-Curi (WoBM 6th Division CO) - for his command style
William "Wet Willie" Kossacks - (2nd Davion Guards RCT CO) - bailing out of his fighter over an ocean and floating for days on Cylene's Tartarus Sea
Wendy "The Old Witch" Ambermarle (Ambermarle's Highlanders CO) - for her age and gruff manner
Carlos "Tiburon" Camacho (Camacho's Cabelleros CO) - unknown (fighting style?)
Troy "Trashborn" Allen (51st Dark Panzer Jaegers CO) - unknown (his holier than thou attitude/his disillusion with power politics?)
Hohiru "Great Wyrm" Tanaga (Hell's Black Aces CO) - unknown
Damon "Indestructible" Kirkpatrick (Kirkpatrick's Invaders CO) - for not sustaining serious injuries despite uncounted emergency ejections
Kelly "The Invincible Ironman" Yukinov (Alpha Regiment, Wolf's Dragoons CO) - repeatedly getting badly injured but returning to field command
Irwin "Taskmaster" Tyrell (Gamma Regiment, Wolf's Dragoons CO) - command style during the post Dragoons civil war rebuilding?
John "Gentleman"/"Gentleman Johnny" Clavell (Wolf Spider Battalion CO) - for his womanizing ways
Douglas "Dapper Don" Hoppe (1st Orloff Grenadiers CO) - for his immaculate appearance (and another womanizer  ;))
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Bravado

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2017, 08:25:15 »
Another one would be Frederick "The Hammer" Steiner for his preference for concentrating firepower on specific targets.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2017, 11:54:29 »
It really was for the type of pants he wore but that wasn't as heroic.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Don Lunardi

• Master Sergeant
  • Purple on Purple!
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2017, 13:14:30 »
It really was for the type of pants he wore but that wasn't as heroic.

Is it really the proper time to make a joke about those?
"Andurien: It's Hell with Jump Points!" - Failed Marketing Slogan for Tourism Andurien, circa 2398

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2017, 13:27:42 »
Is it really the proper time to make a joke about those?

Well, throwback Thursday would be better but you can't pick when someone sets you up so well....
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2017, 13:37:35 »
Well, throwback Thursday would be better but you can't pick when someone sets you up so well....
true, but you can always call it way back Wednesday
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2017, 18:00:49 »

I want to say I saw Ulric Kerensky referenced somewhere as the Gray Wolf

You are correct.

Ulric "The Gray Wolf" Kerensky
Natasha "The Black Widow" Kerensky
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #8 on: 05 June 2017, 17:31:42 »
Minobu Tetsuhara was referred to as "The Iron Man" by the original Ryuken.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #9 on: 20 June 2017, 07:10:37 »
I'm not sure it counts, but wasn't Alexandr Kerensky called "The Great Father" by the Clans?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Register