Author Topic: Hamachi w/Megamek  (Read 2762 times)

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
Hamachi w/Megamek
« on: 21 December 2017, 20:55:38 »
Alright I've about torn out my hair over this because allot of people say they use Hamachi with Megamek but for some reason nobody writes down the actual process of doing so. I've got Hamachi, I can get friends connected to Hamachi but what I don't know what to do is how to get Megamek working with Hamachi. I know it can be done because I used to play Megamek with a group of friends online using Hamachi but the particular friend who set up things before is no longer with us and it's been long enough that I just can't remember the process.

So can someone help me please?
« Last Edit: 21 December 2017, 20:58:27 by Terminax »

arlith

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
Re: Hamachi w/Megamek
« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2017, 10:02:04 »
Once they're connected to the hamachi VPN, all you need is someone to host a server and to know that person's VPN address.  I don't know how to figure that out anymore, as it's been along time since I've used Hamachi.
Member of the MegaMek Team.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2017, 16:15:42 »
That's the very part that we're finding hard. We've tried every address we can find in Hamachi and nothing works.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #3 on: 24 December 2017, 18:49:09 »
Never used it myself.  But found a tutorial for Minecraft

https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Hamachi_connection_LAN

MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2017, 19:40:19 »
That's the very part that we're finding hard. We've tried every address we can find in Hamachi and nothing works.

I would bet that the person hosting needs to drop/open their software firewall.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Terminax

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 30 December 2017, 19:02:00 »
Isn't the whole point of Hamachi to bypass the firewall?

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 30 December 2017, 19:17:51 »
Hamachi bypasses firewalls between both endpoints, such as the one on your modem or router, or the one run by your college, but it still shows up as a network connection in windows, and the windows firewall will filter traffic on it unless told otherwise.

Visualize it it like this:

Normal:
Code: [Select]
Your Software <-> (Windows Firewall) <-> (Router Firewall) <-Internet-> (Router Firewall) <-> (Windows Firewall) <-> Their Software

Hamachi, with Windows Firewall active:
Your Software <-> (Windows Firewall) <-> Hamachi Tunnel <-> (Windows Firewall) <-> Their Software

Hamachi, if you turn windows firewall off for the hamachi connection:
Your Software <->  Hamachi Tunnel <->  Their Software
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Terminax

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 30 December 2017, 19:56:09 »
Thank you. I'll see what I can dig up. I didn't think I had a firewall installed but Windows 10 seems to have put a Firewall up.

Register