Author Topic: Who killed Morgan?  (Read 30174 times)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Who killed Morgan?
« Reply #120 on: 21 March 2018, 17:57:00 »
I'm going off vague memories.  Perhaps it was the Snow Ravens en route to the Outworlds Alliance, which would have been more likely to overlap the Exodus Road.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #121 on: 21 March 2018, 18:16:43 »
Serpent encountered a Ghost Bear convoy that was en route to the Inner Sphere.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #122 on: 21 March 2018, 19:39:58 »
SERPENT went down a path that followed Exodus Road, didn't it? While the Ghost Bear migration would have followed a different path.

I thought they took a parallel path, specifically to avoid exactly what happened at Trafalgar.  Too bad the Ghost Bears had the same idea...
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Showers

• Corporal
« Reply #123 on: 29 March 2018, 07:01:43 »
I think Katherine Steiner-Davion was responsible for Morgan's death. She was trying to take over the Federated Commonwealth and getting rid of Morgan would have prevented him from coming back solidly on Victor's side and it would make TF Serpent less effective increasing the chances that Victor would die in battle. She wouldn't really care if the destruction of the Smoke Jaguars succeeded because it wasn't on her side of the border and any failure would probably increase her chances at getting elected First Lord and discredit Victor.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #124 on: 30 March 2018, 15:59:13 »
I think Katherine Steiner-Davion was responsible for Morgan's death. She was trying to take over the Federated Commonwealth and getting rid of Morgan would have prevented him from coming back solidly on Victor's side and it would make TF Serpent less effective increasing the chances that Victor would die in battle. She wouldn't really care if the destruction of the Smoke Jaguars succeeded because it wasn't on her side of the border and any failure would probably increase her chances at getting elected First Lord and discredit Victor.
Killing Morgan so he can't return as the conquering hero makes sense.  Preventing him from bringing all that political mojo into Victor's camp is just plain smart.  But this is the first idea I've seen that answers the question of why kill Morgan BEFORE he finished handing the Jag's their butts.   As I recall, Katherine already had an alliance with Vlad Ward by the time of the Whitting Conference. 
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #125 on: 30 March 2018, 16:02:56 »
Killing Morgan so he can't return as the conquering hero makes sense.  Preventing him from bringing all that political mojo into Victor's camp is just plain smart.  But this is the first idea I've seen that answers the question of why kill Morgan BEFORE he finished handing the Jag's their butts.   As I recall, Katherine already had an alliance with Vlad Ward by the time of the Whitting Conference.

She formed her alliance with Vlad while the Falcons were camped on Coventry, which was the incident that led to the Whitting Conference.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #126 on: 30 March 2018, 19:52:13 »
and it would make TF Serpent less effective increasing the chances that Victor would die in battle.

How so? Victor was not a part of Serpent and the original plan did not involve him going to the Clan Homeworlds at all; that only happened because the Jaguars collapsed so rapidly and a significant force fled back to the Homeworlds. I don’t see how Katherine could have expected Morgan’s death to increase Victor’s chances of dying in battle.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #127 on: 30 March 2018, 19:55:19 »
Presumably because if Serpent failed (and the Jaguars hadn't turned out to be such a paper tiger), it would have led to a renewed offensive by the Jaguars that Victor would feel obligated to fight in.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #128 on: 30 March 2018, 19:59:50 »
Seems like an awful big stretch.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #129 on: 30 March 2018, 20:12:54 »
Kitty was not exactly the most logical or rational person in the Inner Sphere.  She did have a tendency to assume that situations would be resolved with specific outcomes regardless of how likely said outcomes were simply because they were the outcomes she wanted.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #130 on: 30 March 2018, 22:20:29 »
Seems like an awful big stretch.
Not that big.  In  Katherine's mind, Victor is a little more than a reasonably clever monkey, albiet one who is a dang good war captain.  There is no doubt in Katherine's mind that Victor will fight the Jaguars until either he's dead or they are.

Register