Author Topic: Optimise for What?  (Read 1209 times)

maxcarrion

• Warrant Officer
Optimise for What?
« on: 28 September 2018, 07:14:34 »
Recently Black Knyght said on the Sherman discussion
While I'm not a fan of the too common trend of min/max optimizing to exploit the rules wherever possible
And while I don't deny him the point I thought it would be interesting to discuss what people do and don't find important when doing a custom design - sure, you might have a specific objective in mind when starting a design, whether it's primative warship or black water power armour what running themes do people find important in their designs

For me - I tend to think of myself as someone buying or selling these products in a fairly in universe way (although not necessarily in the BT verse), so for me

Important -
C-Bill cost - This is a good baseline for me, although I like to look at far more than price per unit and the concept may demand something specific, also important is

Strategic Implications - Speed has important strategic implications off the battlefield, so does flexibility, an expensive 50T tank makes perfect sense if it's usually for dropship mounting as space is a premium, but land based militia will want cheaper, cost effective units.  This is why I like adding infantry compartments to vehicles even though they're not all that use on the tabletop but they would be for all sorts of odd jobs elsewhere

Battlefield Performance - Very much based on tabletop rules, with everything that implies - although often with the assumption that battlefields may be more varied than BT usually supports - such as running fights over miles of terrain, artillery support from many map sheets away, massed infantry battalions and things like that.

Flexibility/Suitability - while it may not come up on the tabletop a vehicles ability to lay or clear mines, their ability to suppress civilians or their ability to work with a different unit then the one they usually deploy with are all considerations that come up from time to time. 

Less Important

BV - I kind of ignore the BV system unless I'm building a force specifically for a game - in some ways high BV means I am doing Battlefield Performance well but I just don't really look at it in the design phase usually

Scarcity - I generally don't pay too much attention to what is readily available in the BT verse, if it's specific to the design challenge I'll stick to it but, for example, SFE engines are available, even at a 3025 tech level.  So I won't hesitate to stick one on a combat vehicle as surely they could just build more if they use a lot of them.  Generally I see the C-Bills cost as a counterbalance to the Scarcity - if you are paying for an XL engine you can probably source one (specific issues not withstanding)

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
Re: Optimise for What?
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2018, 07:43:20 »
My tastes tend to run to flexibility and sustainability/survivability.  For a coherent force, I like to standardize weapons and powerplants as much as possible without impacting battlefield performance.  Logistics is a thing.

Offensive units (most mechs) get treated differently than defensive units (most vehicles) - drop collars and mech bays are limited, so anything intended for an offensive role should be the best tool possible for the role.  Space on planets is not limited, so its about bang-per-buck over lifespan.

For details such as speed?  The first decision on a mech is ‘what role do i want this machine to play?’ If you know that, you know how fast it wants to go.  This usually also tells you how big its going to be, and maximize role performance on that chassis. (There are exceptions - for example a command mech might end up oversized for its speed, accepting an inefficient engine to maximize the combination of armor and speed - trading firepower for the priviledge)

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2018, 10:54:24 »
I do what keeps the spirit of the unit.  The humble Rifleman, I would trade the ac/5s for ac/2s and use the weight savings for 2-3 heatsinks and the rest to armor.  It was never meant to be a frontliner, so I'll play it as a rear guard support unit.

Radically changing speed and dropping weapons to replace with meta weapons takes alot out of what makes certain units what they are to me.

Atarlost

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2018, 22:35:50 »
I do what keeps the spirit of the unit.  The humble Rifleman, I would trade the ac/5s for ac/2s and use the weight savings for 2-3 heatsinks and the rest to armor.  It was never meant to be a frontliner, so I'll play it as a rear guard support unit.

Radically changing speed and dropping weapons to replace with meta weapons takes alot out of what makes certain units what they are to me.

The RFL-4D, KPLT-K2, AWS-8T, STK-4P, and CGR-SB exist.  That's an energy boat Rifleman, an energy boat Catapult, an Awesome with LRMs and no PPCs, a variant that changes weight class, and a slow Charger.  All in canon and all 27 years old. 

If you want the spirit of a design to be sacred you kind of have to reject everything after FASA invented the concept of variants.  There's a sense that some changes should be harder than the refit rules make them, but obviously not prohibitively so. 

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2018, 09:02:59 »
I'll optimize as long as I don't have to sacrifice whatever I'm after for the design. If I've decided to mount an AC/5 I'll mount an AC/5 even thought it's a crappy gun. But I see no reason to waste tonnage on LRM10/15/20 when I can mount multiple LRM5s, I'll make sure to mount enough heat sinks to use my weapons, and I don't skimp on armor unless I have to.