Author Topic: "Canal City" #2 (It's a completely different city)  (Read 1403 times)

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
"Canal City" #2 (It's a completely different city)
« on: 08 June 2020, 07:21:39 »
After I put up Canal City #1 in response to the requests poll, there were understandable comments that it wasn't really big enough to be a city. And Marshall City was fun, but only had the one river.

So, in light of that feedback, I present ... [fanfare] ... Canal City #2. A 64x68 map depicting a fair-sized city, divided by a large river running down the middle, and featuring a large number of canals dividing up the urban landscape. Most of the bridges are CF120, to enable easy traffic movement over the canals - but be warned that there are some that are weaker. I know that I'm never going to win any awards for urban planning. The river is large enough for wet navy vessels of up to 6,000 tons, but is too narrow for larger vessels to maneuver safely. Extremely careful helmsmen may be able to get those same naval vessels down the canals, but that is certainly not recommended for vessels of over 500 tons, and even those are not permitted by city ordinances except in very special circumstances. The canals are mostly around six metres deep, while river is around twelve meters at its deepest.

Notable features for the heavily-armoured tourist include:
  • The large building on the island - probably a seat of government or similar
  • A couple of other buildings surrounded by carefully-tended trees - likely corporate offices
  • Apartment buildings ringing a small park in the north-west quadrant - they're probably expensive
  • Riverside properties between the park and the river - they're probably even more expensive
  • An industrial zone to the south
  • The Fortress in the south-west quadrant - a former, or current, military headquarters
  • The warehouse district in the south-east quadrant - not interesting to the public, but may contain valuable supplies

64x68 CanalCity2.board
Click to enlarge

Building sizes should comply with the construction limits in TacOps.

As usual, let me know if you spot any glitches - and, if you fight in it, please let me know how it goes - I'd like to know whether anyone actually uses my maps for scenarios or pick-up battles.
« Last Edit: 08 June 2020, 11:44:05 by Simon Landmine »
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

servo01

• Corporal
Re: "Canal City" #2
« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2020, 10:00:48 »
Oooh... the military/warehouse/commercial/residential and industrial zones open up a lot of different scenario options. Most impressive - you may have outdone yourself with this one!

Looks great as s but I think I'll go shell it for a bit using a pair of artillery batteries, you know, just for flavor. (Depending on the campaign world and location, having a roughed-up version with a few fires, some craters and a dash of rubble might better fit the mood.)

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2020, 10:03:24 »
This is a very seet looking map. Color me impressed.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2020, 11:37:44 »
Incredibly nice. Looks like it would be a challenge if someone had to march on Army through it. >:D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #4 on: 08 June 2020, 11:39:13 »
Oooh... the military/warehouse/commercial/residential and industrial zones open up a lot of different scenario options. Most impressive - you may have outdone yourself with this one!

Cheers! And yes, I thought it might as well offer some variety in the one map - I don't plan to do another 64x68 city in the immediate future, after how long it took to put this one together.

Looks great as is but I think I'll go shell it for a bit using a pair of artillery batteries, you know, just for flavor. (Depending on the campaign world and location, having a roughed-up version with a few fires, some craters and a dash of rubble might better fit the mood.)

Feel free to add the 'roughed-up' version to the thread - you're probably not the only person to want a dented version!

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #5 on: 08 June 2020, 11:43:22 »
This is a very seet looking map. Color me impressed.

Cheers!

Incredibly nice. Looks like it would be a challenge if someone had to march on Army through it. >:D

Well, I know that people like the occasional challenge. :-)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: "Canal City" #2 (It's a completely different city)
« Reply #6 on: 08 June 2020, 17:14:07 »
A true work of art!  :'(

I'm not crying... YOU'RE crying!  8)

Seriously, that's BEAUTIFUL!  :smitten:

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
Re: "Canal City" #2 (It's a completely different city)
« Reply #7 on: 08 June 2020, 17:32:15 »
Cheers!

"Now, get out there, and enjoy blowing it up!"