Author Topic: Northern Puget Sound and Seattle  (Read 5730 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Northern Puget Sound and Seattle
« on: 26 February 2021, 23:56:39 »
Hi all. I'm integrating into Everett and just picked up a couple items from Zulus in Bothell. I know the south Sound places since family lives in Federal Way, but getting the feel of the local place. Given than Randall himself sometimes drops product by Zulus, I think that seems to be one of the primary FLGS's.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

btp2k2

• Master Sergeant
Re: Northern Puget Sound and Seattle
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2021, 20:39:15 »
Post COVID, we are planning on getting a bi-weekly game in my garage in Bothell again. I have massive amounts of terrain

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2021, 22:18:25 »
Wow.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

btp2k2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2021, 16:53:23 »
We used to throw down regularly in the garage, but people drifted away. We had a good group, some great games. The all time best was a massive battalion size game in low G settings. We kicked that game off at like 4 in the afternoon, the sun started coming up when we finally wrapped up. A charge from 36 hexes away does some serious damage....both to attacker and target!

Leafback

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2021, 01:49:03 »
What? A Battalion game in under 24 hours? I refuse to believe it!

btp2k2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2021, 17:42:47 »
What? A Battalion game in under 24 hours? I refuse to believe it!

I never said the game was played until completion.....we just ran out of Mountain Dew and and energy to continue.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2021, 18:17:36 »
A battalion scale game is totally doable if you have enough proficient players...  ^-^

Tslammer

• Sergeant
  • 2D10 Heretic
« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2021, 12:05:23 »
My group in Northish Seattle will be playing BT once we clear Covid. Currently were doing Shadowrun because its easier. Otherwise my house would be more like WWII British fighter command...

Half my players are now in Everett, Edmonds or Buckley so there might be carpool options.

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2021, 02:00:05 »
Tslammer sort of buries the lead. The game is a AToW game with 2D10 'Mech combat based on the 'Mech dueling rules from MechWarriors Guide to Solaris VII. Each player getting a character or 2 and we face off against GM enemies.

Currently playing ShadowRun via Discord video chat and screen share.
« Last Edit: 28 March 2021, 04:48:43 by Cannon_Fodder »

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

btp2k2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2021, 09:51:53 »
I checked out Zulu's the other day. Kinda unimpressed. Battletech inventory was pretty much starter sets and a couple books. The shop did look great for gaming though.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2021, 11:50:55 »
I checked out Zulu's the other day. Kinda unimpressed. Battletech inventory was pretty much starter sets and a couple books. The shop did look great for gaming though.

They're really responsive and are one of the home shops of the area CGL people and get, say, the force packs in sooner. The Discord has good traffic and the staff answer questions quickly. The way I look at them is as a place to hang your hat to hopefully increase the size of the community. I'll see about joining in more frequently once I'm fully vaccinated and we're past phase 3.

Leafback

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2021, 14:49:11 »
Zulu has a discord, you mean? That's cool! Once I get a job again and have some money flowing (and COVID goes away), I really want to check this store out.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2021, 15:30:32 »
Zulu has a discord, you mean? That's cool! Once I get a job again and have some money flowing (and COVID goes away), I really want to check this store out.

Here: https://discord.gg/vgeYHjV

Leafback

• Corporal
« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2021, 19:32:52 »
Thanks Bedwyr!

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2021, 21:57:04 »
You are welcome!

Tslammer

• Sergeant
  • 2D10 Heretic
« Reply #15 on: 19 June 2021, 02:18:48 »
My group should be restarting again this summer. But we are full.

Sorry i know one or two were looking to join awhile back but were nine now.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 24 June 2021, 13:18:18 »
Hi all. It looks like we're a go for some Alpha Strike action at Zulus Games in Bothell WA. We will meet at 5:30 PDT and enjoy ourselves till we feel like stopping or closing time at 11pm. Several of us are interested in the Infinity miniatures skirmish game so the store will be hauling their stock up for us to look at. They keep several force packs and boxes on the shelves for those interested and serve food and beer at the shop.

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: 08 November 2021, 13:05:11 »
Hi all. It looks like we're a go for some Alpha Strike action at Zulus Games in Bothell WA. We will meet at 5:30 PDT and enjoy ourselves till we feel like stopping or closing time at 11pm. Several of us are interested in the Infinity miniatures skirmish game so the store will be hauling their stock up for us to look at. They keep several force packs and boxes on the shelves for those interested and serve food and beer at the shop.

Hi Bedwyr, are you permanently in the Seattle area now?

We have an extended Demo group in the Pacific Northwest, Roundtop, NeonKnight and myself are up in the Vancouver area, Insaniac99 is out in the Tri-Cities area, 8-Ball and FedCom4Ever are in Tacoma and Portland respectively (but the last two don't post here very often). We usually get the whole group together for the big events, Pax West and Mechcon.

2020 has been pretty much a write-off, but hopefully we can start up again next spring with regular events.
We had a small group at Pax West 2020, we were up on the 6th floor by Zulu Games.

Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 08 November 2021, 17:59:16 »
Hi Bedwyr, are you permanently in the Seattle area now?

We have an extended Demo group in the Pacific Northwest, Roundtop, NeonKnight and myself are up in the Vancouver area, Insaniac99 is out in the Tri-Cities area, 8-Ball and FedCom4Ever are in Tacoma and Portland respectively (but the last two don't post here very often). We usually get the whole group together for the big events, Pax West and Mechcon.

2020 has been pretty much a write-off, but hopefully we can start up again next spring with regular events.
We had a small group at Pax West 2020, we were up on the 6th floor by Zulu Games.

Yeah, we have an active group that gamed over the summer at Zulus, but have since gotten distracted with job and life stuff as well as several massive painting backlogs. We're still attempting to organize. I recommend joining in the Zulu's discord to keep up with the group. Especially after the new store expansion, tables may be easier to come by.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 02 March 2022, 13:54:42 »
Well hey there. Time to dig this thread up (mod's discretion and besides we're more lax about that for local gathering threads). Zulus of Bothell is building up steam toward a new miniature oriented event center. They've been holding Battletech events the past couple weeks on Tuesdays and every other Wednesday. I got to enjoy some hot 'Mech action last night and the pleasure of a number of fans including locals, a group that drove up from Kent, and Randall and (I think) Bryn. Three tables of blowing up ammo bins for funsies and the company of some Star Wars Legions and Armada fans. Great time and great food.

Leafback

• Corporal
« Reply #20 on: 03 March 2022, 21:29:41 »
It was fun! And really heartening to see so many people playing BattleTech at the same time.

Let's get a league going!

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 04 March 2022, 01:05:33 »
We should. Campaign first tho.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 09 March 2022, 02:31:31 »
Had some fun learning or re-learning Aerospace rules. We ran a Shilone vs a Lucifer on the new space mat using advanced movement (Newtonian rules). It went well, though we had to back-track several times to make sure we had the basics down.

One thing I had trouble finding was whether facing changes in advanced rules has a thrust cost. I didn't think so, but couldn't find a reference in the rulebook either way.

In the end I got my ship nearly cored out. It was either a hull loss or I zipped off the edge of the board after failing a PSR:

Lessons learned:
- Always spare thrust points for evasive maneuvering when possible. There's not much opportunity for terrain or relative speed to prevent a hit.
- The single aerospace mat is a really tight fit for adequate gameplay, especially if you're looking to run a bunch of fighters and a dropship or similar.
- We need to doublecheck whether facing changes using advanced rules has a thrust cost as in normal movement (we played without any cost this time).
- Drifting movement adds up fast. It can be difficult to slow down and keep your ship on the play area if you build up too much movement in one direction.
- Always use relative aspect to your advantage if possible. Movement toward the enemy or across the enemy gets you +1 and +2 to-hit, respectively.
- There is always line of sight.
- Armor is everything. Structural integrity halves normal damage, but you can see how fast SI drops to nothing. Goodbye spaceship. Know to withdraw earlier.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 09 March 2022, 04:21:30 »
Interesting... I would have thought rolling maps were virtually required to make Newtonian movement work.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 13 May 2022, 22:29:46 »
Oh dear. I have not been keeping this up. Welp, upcoming event:

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 16 May 2022, 17:10:30 »
Aw man, makes me jelly I'm not in Seattle.  Looks like fun!

Tslammer

• Sergeant
  • 2D10 Heretic
« Reply #26 on: 28 August 2022, 13:16:55 »
Howdy all from Ballard. I have been making the rounds at various Battletech games over the last week. Talking BT and introducing myself.
Thought I would share whats going on with out group and share some pictures. About us our group has been together for about 30+ years playing RPG BT nearly all of this time. We have a 60x55 hex 6'x6' table covered in GEO-HEX. Playing a modified version of ATOW against a GM.

Currently in our ongoing ATOW game Snord's Irregulars are protecting the City of Hopkins on Volder from the Narhal Raiders. The bad guys are the white dice coming in from the East. Sensors indicate about 12 more are going to enter the map in two rounds should be quite the fight.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #27 on: 28 August 2022, 13:25:49 »
Quite the battle indeed!  I look forward to more, though I'm worried about Snord's ability to hold the line...  8)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 28 August 2022, 13:35:15 »
Howdy all from Ballard. I have been making the rounds at various Battletech games over the last week. Talking BT and introducing myself.

Are you playing at a shop or at a house? I recall that there used to be a shop on Greenwood near 85th a long time ago but that it had closed down, maybe in the 2008 recession.

Tslammer

• Sergeant
  • 2D10 Heretic
« Reply #29 on: 28 August 2022, 16:16:05 »
Gary's games was on greenwood near 85th but has been close for some time now.
We play at my house in N Ballard.

So far the biggest mech coming at us is 35-40 tons. We have an Archer, Catapult, Ostol, BLk Knight, two marauders a Vulcan, Phawk and a firestarter.
« Last Edit: 28 August 2022, 16:21:30 by Tslammer »