Author Topic: Looking for desert flora and fauna from MW versions  (Read 2184 times)

Mendou

• Master Sergeant
Looking for desert flora and fauna from MW versions
« on: 01 June 2021, 23:27:53 »
I've had the idea to create an introduction to MechWarrior and the Clan mindset for players not familiar with the RP side of BattleTech. My first thought was to run Clan Hell's Horses' Branding ritual (given my faction bias).

The problem is, I don't know where to find stats for the flora and fauna for the desert environment, other than the ones in AToW and the AToW Companion. Does anyone have any suggestions for hostile animals (or plants) which could be found in a desert/Bronson Canyon-style environment other than the ones in the aforementioned book? I really don't want to throw a swarm of leech locusts at them. . . . (I'm not asking for statblocks; I just want to know what the appropriate creatures are and where to find them. If they're not in a book I own, I'll track down a legal PDF.)

I'm not afraid to convert stats from one system to another--I have digital or hardcopy versions of every edition of MechWarrior and a handful of sourcebooks, and am willing to try converting them from one to another.

I'm planning on running this in MechWarrior Destiny, but I want to make this adaptable enough to easily run it in any iteration of MechWarrior (with the probable exception of First Edition, which looks nigh unplayable). I'm willing to post the finished product if there's any interest here.

Thanks in advance!

CVB

• Captain
Re: Looking for desert flora and fauna from MW versions
« Reply #1 on: 02 June 2021, 06:39:07 »
In HB:Major Periphery States there is the Tariq, running "across the dunes and rocky flats of its homeworld", HB:House Steiner has the Grausian Bloodsucker. There are several creatures listed in every HB.
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Mendou

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2021, 07:16:34 »
Thank you! The tariq is in AToW already, but I'll have to pull out Handbook: House Steiner for the Bloodsucker. . . .

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2021, 09:57:57 »
Another option is to pick an animal that you like or think could be nice to put, and simply modify it to adapt to the desert, and say that it was made by clan scientist. Many of the animals of the clans are genetically modified, so you can do the same. Desert Tuna? You got it

Mendou

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2021, 06:12:46 »
That thought had definitely crossed my mind, though I'm trying to keep it within reason--no arctic or aquatic animals, for instance, but possibly throwing in a trachazoi or two. . . .

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2021, 13:11:07 »
They got some armored bears you could easily adapt as armored komodo desert dragons or something just as bizarre.

The rock gila is probably a useful desert animal to play with in a setting. Thankfully that's in the companion book as is.
« Last Edit: 04 June 2021, 13:13:56 by Atlas3060 »
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Mendou

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 05 June 2021, 06:57:27 »
I've already added the rock gila to my shortlist of potential creatures. Still looking for other creatures to throw at the unsuspecting players. . . .

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 05 June 2021, 19:16:14 »
I've already added the rock gila to my shortlist of potential creatures. Still looking for other creatures to throw at the unsuspecting players. . . .

Since it is a desert environment, what plants are converting the sunlight into useful energy?  From there, come up with a few insects, and what herbivores might exist to feed on those plants (ranging from desert mouse to camel sized), and maybe a predator or two (but none big enough to take down a camel).

The DUNE book might give other ideas, such as desert-adapted hawks.

One fun idea might be a locust swarm that homes in on moisture.  If one of them sees moisture, it will get the attention of the rest of the swarm, and soon several million are heading towards the PCs, all of them thirsty.  And if their jaws happen to grab a bit of skin tissue as well, that is protein and moisture.  The swarm will be noisy, but often only the fastest ones were able to eat enough to survive and reproduce, meaning the slower ones tended to die off.  So a PC might be in the desert, open their canteen, pour a little over their head, and within a few seconds a massive swarm of locusts is slamming into the group, looking for water and sweat, and each of them taking a small bite out of the characters in the process.

Desert residents (that the PCs likely ignored) know how to use those locusts though.  Put out a strong mesh net, and on other sides put up opaque cloth.  Fill a thin dish with some water, and slowly dip your hand in it, so the drops refract the sunlight.  The locusts swarm in, but are caught by the mesh.  From there, dig in.  Just be careful if one of the younger locals offers a plate of snacks to the leader of the PC group.