Author Topic: Looking to start a group at my FLGS  (Read 1266 times)

SANSd20

• Sergeant
Looking to start a group at my FLGS
« on: 08 December 2022, 16:36:49 »
As the title say, I’m going to be starting a BattleTech group at my FLGS and was wondering if anyone had anything that I should know, do, or look out for.
Mecr KS back #244

idea weenie

• Major
Re: Looking to start a group at my FLGS
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2022, 16:46:50 »
Key is to ask the group what they want to do.  Do they want to play politics, fight battles, explore, build a planet, or?

At the end of each session you should ask the following questions:
1) What did you like
2) What did you dislike
3) What do you want to see more of

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2022, 16:48:49 »
1) Talk with the store owner about times/space available, fees, rules, etc.

2) See if the store has an established channel to publicize your events.  If not, search social media for appropriate local groups to get the word out.

3) Try to keep things relatively simple.  Not because your group can't handle it, but because there's nothing worse that excess complexity making a game go long and having to call an unfinished battle because the store is closing.

4) Visual appeal is key to get people to wander over to your table.  If you have painted minis, maps, nice terrain, etc., that's a bonus.  The store may have some terrain you can use, if you're doing non-hex (such as Alpha Strike).  If you get a copy of the new Alpha Strike box, that'll have some buildings and trees you can use.

5) To bring in new players, try to supply everything the group will need, especially if you want new players to be able to wander up and join.  Pencils and record sheets and dice, at a minimum.  You can print out any Alpha Strike record sheet you want from the Master Unit List on this site.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

SANSd20

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2022, 23:22:06 »
1) Talk with the store owner about times/space available, fees, rules, etc.

I have been working with the store on this. I am also the community organizer for D&D Adventurer's League there, so I am that door already.

2) See if the store has an established channel to publicize your events.  If not, search social media for appropriate local groups to get the word out.

They do (discord) and we already have.

3) Try to keep things relatively simple.  Not because your group can't handle it, but because there's nothing worse that excess complexity making a game go long and having to call an unfinished battle because the store is closing.

For the first couple of sessions, I had planned on being learning sessions. After that, I'm not sure. Do you have any suggestions on how to plan for a group like this?

4) Visual appeal is key to get people to wander over to your table.  If you have painted minis, maps, nice terrain, etc., that's a bonus.  The store may have some terrain you can use, if you're doing non-hex (such as Alpha Strike).  If you get a copy of the new Alpha Strike box, that'll have some buildings and trees you can use.

Unfortunately I don't have painted minis yet. I am just getting into the game myself.

5) To bring in new players, try to supply everything the group will need, especially if you want new players to be able to wander up and join.  Pencils and record sheets and dice, at a minimum.  You can print out any Alpha Strike record sheet you want from the Master Unit List on this site.

I wasn't planning to run Alpha Strike, but Classic (I think, or aGoAC?) BattleTech. But yes, I totally agree about the record sheets and all that.
Mecr KS back #244

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #4 on: 09 December 2022, 07:47:32 »
For the first couple of sessions, I had planned on being learning sessions. After that, I'm not sure. Do you have any suggestions on how to plan for a group like this?

Unfortunately I don't have painted minis yet. I am just getting into the game myself.

What I'd recommend would be setting the players up in control of a unit involved in a larger planetary campaign.  There's fighting across a very broad front. 

Come up with a roster (that just happens to match your available minis) and then come up with manageable small skirmishes set against the campaign's backdrop.  Each session is a different mission, and the outcome can affect the course of the larger battle.

You can find a PDF product in the Catalyst store called "The Mercenary's Handbook."  It's an old FASA product, but it still has good content, and even better, it has a useful "Quick Campaign Resolution" ruleset in the back.  In between each of your in-store sessions, roll on the table with modifiers based on how well your players did.  If they piled it in, negative modifiers for their side; positive modifiers if they succeeded.  Then share with the players how their side is doing, and let that drive the narrative for the next mission.

There are a number of "Touring the Stars" products that have printable color planetary maps, so you could even use those to chart the course of the campaign, noting the loss or gain of key strategic sites as it progresses. 

By having a larger pool to draw from (the players being just part of a larger unit), you aren't hamstrung if someone can't make it, and have the flexibility to incorporate new drop ins and walkups.  Customize the OpFor each time on a ratio based on the player force strength.  If the players' side is on a winning streak in the campaign, perhaps lower the enemy ratio.  If the players' side has been losing, increase the enemy ratio.

If you want your players to fight each other, then both sides can track the campaign, charting progress against each other as rival units repeatedly skirmish along the line of contact.  Setting up such a framework gives the sessions an ongoing narrative where the players want to return to see their side press on to victory, rather than just blowing up enemy pieces in a meaningless battle with no context.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

SANSd20

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 09 December 2022, 14:25:25 »
What I'd recommend would be setting the players up in control of a unit involved in a larger planetary campaign.  There's fighting across a very broad front. 

Come up with a roster (that just happens to match your available minis) and then come up with manageable small skirmishes set against the campaign's backdrop.  Each session is a different mission, and the outcome can affect the course of the larger battle.

You can find a PDF product in the Catalyst store called "The Mercenary's Handbook."  It's an old FASA product, but it still has good content, and even better, it has a useful "Quick Campaign Resolution" ruleset in the back.  In between each of your in-store sessions, roll on the table with modifiers based on how well your players did.  If they piled it in, negative modifiers for their side; positive modifiers if they succeeded.  Then share with the players how their side is doing, and let that drive the narrative for the next mission.

There are a number of "Touring the Stars" products that have printable color planetary maps, so you could even use those to chart the course of the campaign, noting the loss or gain of key strategic sites as it progresses. 

By having a larger pool to draw from (the players being just part of a larger unit), you aren't hamstrung if someone can't make it, and have the flexibility to incorporate new drop ins and walkups.  Customize the OpFor each time on a ratio based on the player force strength.  If the players' side is on a winning streak in the campaign, perhaps lower the enemy ratio.  If the players' side has been losing, increase the enemy ratio.

If you want your players to fight each other, then both sides can track the campaign, charting progress against each other as rival units repeatedly skirmish along the line of contact.  Setting up such a framework gives the sessions an ongoing narrative where the players want to return to see their side press on to victory, rather than just blowing up enemy pieces in a meaningless battle with no context.

OMG! Thank you! This is some really good info!
Mecr KS back #244

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 09 December 2022, 21:14:41 »
The larger part of a campaign could be good.  You set up a Lance vs Lance fight, but show the players that their front is part of a larger battle.  If one side wins, their side advanced the front line by a bit in their favor.

Keep up a strategic map, so if you run multiple small battles people can see how their fights have affected the overall battle.

SANSd20

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 10 December 2022, 19:19:26 »

So I got ahold of them, and I cannot find this section.
Mecr KS back #244

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #8 on: 10 December 2022, 19:37:44 »
The Basic Campaign system begins on p. 47, and the Campaign Management system ruleset runs through p. 64.

There are several similar products, so make sure you're referencing The Mercenary's Handbook, rather than Mercenary's Handbook: 3055 or Field Manual: Mercenaries.

SANSd20

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 10 December 2022, 19:40:34 »
The Basic Campaign system begins on p. 47, and the Campaign Management system ruleset runs through p. 64.

There are several similar products, so make sure you're referencing The Mercenary's Handbook, rather than Mercenary's Handbook: 3055 or Field Manual: Mercenaries.

And that could be my issue, I was looking at 3055. Thanks.
Mecr KS back #244

Spector

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Sunlight is vastly overrated!
« Reply #10 on: 11 December 2022, 18:32:52 »
Out of curiosity, what area are you looking to run games?
*Insert clever saying/quote here*

Agent #333

SANSd20

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 12 December 2022, 00:07:06 »
Out of curiosity, what area are you looking to run games?

Jefferson City, MO
Mecr KS back #244

Register