Author Topic: Unfortunate Events in One of your games  (Read 713 times)

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
Unfortunate Events in One of your games
« on: 05 January 2023, 08:50:41 »
Just wondering what is going on in other peoples games. 
I was a game master for a game once and my games are designed to last between 8-10 rounds.  So it is objective based. 
One of the missions for the Lyrans or Mercs I forget which was to kill the Clan Commander.  So, as I game master I figured, most people will have a mechwarrior as the commander, so I decided to make the commander an elemental and I assigned this commander to the #5 position in his unit.  First round of combat, the elemental unit gets hit by a gauss rifle and elemental #5 was killed. 
I did not inform the opposing the player of his success, but I did subtract 2 from all of my initiative rolls going forward to simulate the loss of command.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Unfortunate Events in One of your games
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2023, 09:49:09 »
When I was doing BattleTech games at D.R.A.G.O.N. (UC Davis game club) in 1995, shortly after the Tactical Handbook came out, a guy wanted to start a mercenary campaign, with the idea that we'd take salvage from the battle and grow in strength.

He set up the parameters, I brought the maps and minis, and then he wandered off to do something else while we played out the scenario.  Since the Tactical Handbook had just come out, we decided to use some of the new rules therein, including the one for engine explosions.  (If the CT goes from undamaged to destroyed in one turn, the engine blows on a roll of 8+, totally destroying anything at ground zero and doing splash damage to neighboring hexes depending on the size of the engine).  This early version of the rule had the effect of turning light 'Mechs into bombs with legs, and the splash damage often could (and did) cause chain reaction detonations.

He came back at the end of the evening to see how things had gone, asking "So, what's the salvage?"

The response: "Ummmm.  I think half of that truck could be used for armor plate.  Oh, and that Spider's arm fell off before it blew."  Everything else had gone out with an engine explosion.

With no measurable salvage and the player team fairly wrecked as well, the campaign ended at that point.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

idea weenie

• Major
Re: Unfortunate Events in One of your games
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2023, 16:01:58 »
3025 tech base pick-up fight.

Marauder (me) vs a Stinger and a Griffin

For the first two turns my Marauder could not hit anything with the PPCs and AC/5 shots, nor the Medium Lasers when the Stinger was in range.  Compare that to the Griffin getting a hit in with its PPC on the Marauder's head on the first turn.

Final turn my Marauder finally scores a single hit against the Stinger, hitting the Center torso.  The problem was that the Stinger was doing a Death from Above on my Marauder, and was still coming in.  Stinger succeeded on its DFA roll, and had to roll hit location.  Head.

So 4 turns of fire, only one weapon hit, and was taken out by a semi-cored Stinger.