Author Topic: SpaceX puts men in space  (Read 4630 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
SpaceX puts men in space
« on: 30 May 2020, 14:48:18 »
I just watched SpaceX's Falcon/Dragon system put a pair of astronauts into orbit- be a few hours before they meet the ISS- with my toddler.  It was awesome to hear the controller trying to maintain a professional calm as the rocket lifted off to punch its way out of the atmosphere while in the background you could hear mission control go nuts.  The astronauts themselves were sitting very calmly in the seats, fingers interlaced . . . I do not know if its their first time boosting to orbit, but they are the first for Falcon/Dragon and the return of a US manned launch program.  It would be hard for me to be that calm.

The first stage successfully landed on the barge for recovery.  It was interesting to watch SpaceX's split screen as the capsule kept going and the first stage did its re-entry burn and approach for landing.

For as crazy as Elon Musk is at time, I am personally grateful he was crazy enough to want his own space program.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: SpaceX puts men in space
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2020, 14:49:58 »
Awesome!  Link, please!  :thumbsup:

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2020, 14:52:53 »
https://youtu.be/rjb9FdVdX5I

SpaceX has their own channel on youtube . . . according them them, I watched it with about 3 million other people- which does not include NASA's youtube channel or anywhere else.  I know my father watched it on his phone after we talked about it.  We were comparing the Dragon capsule with Mercury & Gemini.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2020, 15:00:16 »
https://youtu.be/rjb9FdVdX5I

SpaceX has their own channel on youtube . . . according them them, I watched it with about 3 million other people- which does not include NASA's youtube channel or anywhere else.  I know my father watched it on his phone after we talked about it.  We were comparing the Dragon capsule with Mercury & Gemini.

I watched it live on the Science Channel (or whatever it calls itself these days).

From what I understand, both are veteran astronauts and have been on missions before for NASA. In fact, seems they were both in the same class, and both have wives that were also in the program, and are looking to be among the next to go up with SpaceX.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2020, 15:05:20 »
I'm just glad he didn't blow them up.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2020, 15:09:30 »
Congratulations to all involved. The fourth members of an exclusive club. And hopefully the first of many more.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2020, 15:30:29 »
While waiting, I found the C-SPAN link... you want to skip to the 3 hour, 34 minute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=won6Ap9JnVw

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2020, 16:37:59 »
Bob and Doug... if you're Canadian, you get this.

Launch was cool, though I don't think "historic" like the media campaign was touting.

Really don't like how corporate and branded everything was, but I guess that's the wave of the future, all hail our corporate overlords.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2020, 16:41:03 »
The corporate aspect is the historic part... no company has done this before.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2020, 17:21:26 »
Bob and Doug... if you're Canadian, you get this.

Launch was cool, though I don't think "historic" like the media campaign was touting.

Really don't like how corporate and branded everything was, but I guess that's the wave of the future, all hail our corporate overlords.

I think you're missing what makes it 'historical'.

The corporate aspect is the historic part... no company has done this before.

Up until now, man-rated rockets were the exclusive property of governments and paramilitary government establishments.  (NASA largely drew on Military personnel for Astronauts and most of their manned work in the sixties and seventies, during the height of the agency's popularity, prestige, and the bulk of the important records, were done as part of Defense Department research.  Without Gemini and Apollo, the MX 'Peacekeeper' MIRV wouldn't have been possible.  The main reason the Shuttle had cross-wind glide capability was an Air Force requirement, and so on.) 

in other words, Governments had put people in orbit using what amounts to military gear with a thin coat of civilian respectability. 

SpaceX is a private company and their capsule was their own proposal, engineered in-house, and won the contract in competitive bidding against several major corporations (Boeing, Lockheed, General Dyamics, and so on)...and it worked.  works. is working.  Lofted on a booster also built with private money to private industry specs by a private company instead of a government agency using unlimited taxpayer funding to brute-force solutions.

built by the same process as Space Shuttle, this would still be on the drawing board and we would still be sending our astronauts to Uzbekistan to hitch rides with the russians.

« Last Edit: 30 May 2020, 17:23:54 by Cannonshop »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2020, 20:18:38 »
It was very cool to watch

The capsule is cool touch screens here there and everywhere its weird to think they are both just passengers really it could do all the work itself.  I know they'll play about with it in orbit and take control but that's to show it can be done in the future, unless the same procedures are adopted by Orion, the capsule can and likely will fly to the ISS all by itself
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2020, 21:56:42 »
I'm just glad he didn't blow them up.

Exactly one Falcon 9 has been lost in flight, due to a design strut.  The Cargo Dragon capsule ejected successfully, and had the software on the capsule been updated to allow for it, it would have successfully been able to be recovered. The flawed strut that caused the issue has been redesigned, and they've flown Falcon 9 rockets 69 times since then without issue.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2020, 22:02:27 »
I missed out on a chance to work for SpaceX.  They were hiring and the wage was almost competitive with what I make at Boeing for very similar work.

I bet they're paying more.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2020, 22:19:36 »
Musk is following a plan that was novelized in a series called Fire Star . . . he is making the technology on Earth commercially (or attempting to) feasible for a Mars colony so that he can drive down the costs through mass production rather than NASA's 1 off custom builds.  SpaceX, BORE, Tesla, and others are all designing and building things that have been identified as components to setting up a Mars colony.
Colt Ward

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2020, 22:58:06 »
Musk is following a plan that was novelized in a series called Fire Star . . . he is making the technology on Earth commercially (or attempting to) feasible for a Mars colony so that he can drive down the costs through mass production rather than NASA's 1 off custom builds.  SpaceX, BORE, Tesla, and others are all designing and building things that have been identified as components to setting up a Mars colony.

It's good that someone with some actual vision is doing it, instead of trying to satisfy constituencies that have zero interest.  Elon will never be paralyzed into inaction by "if we can go to the moon, why can't we...(Insert some pressure group or another here)".

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2020, 23:32:00 »
For anyone who has not, I would suggest reading the Fire Star series . . . lol, my father does not read stuff as widely as I did, but he borrowed that series after getting hooked on the first.  Read that . . . and then I loaned him Zubrin's Case for Mars- the Apollo kid in him got pissed off.  I called him on my way back from work before the launch, he watched it on his phone at the same time we did.  I am not sure how many shuttle launches he ever saw- the earliest one I remember watching was Challenger in school in Houston.  I also watched the last one on TV, unable to go to Florida.  But he started talking about how different it was from watching Apollo launches, and the rocket & capsule sizes hearkened back to the first steps into space.  Just with more technology on display with the cameras for views and control panels in the capsule.
Colt Ward

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2020, 01:25:10 »
Good job to ALL involved..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2020, 06:07:48 »
 :thumbsup: I ' am glad we back in space and flying out of the Cape. Its nice they lifted off pad that they used for the Apollo launches. Well I hope everything work out well.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 01 June 2020, 01:59:23 »
2020, May 30, 1521 EDT - we had not launched any astronauts from American soil to the ISS since 2011
2020, May 30, 1522 EDT - we launched 2 astronauts from American soil to the ISS
2020, May 31, 1028 EDT - the crewed Dragon soft-docked at the ISS (then the systems dampened out vibrations, before pulling the capsule in for a hard dock and air connect)
2020, May 31, 1523 EDT - the two astronauts entered the ISS

We have come home

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 01 June 2020, 03:48:18 »
Well not yet - although I'd allow a hearty "We're back!"

I understand they're up there for some months.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 01 June 2020, 06:48:09 »
Are the astronauts wearing pressure suits, or just uniforms?  They don't seem air-tight.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #21 on: 01 June 2020, 08:04:41 »
Exactly one Falcon 9 has been lost in flight, due to a design strut.  The Cargo Dragon capsule ejected successfully, and had the software on the capsule been updated to allow for it, it would have successfully been able to be recovered. The flawed strut that caused the issue has been redesigned, and they've flown Falcon 9 rockets 69 times since then without issue.
Not quite. 2 Falcon 9 boosters have been lost in flight. The 2nd one was lost during the Capsule in-flight abort test. That's when the safety rockets on the crew capsule were tested during an unmanned launch to prove they work as designed. SpaceX wished they could recover the booster, but it blew up in-flight after the capsule separated as they expected it would.

To me the most impressive part is the upright landings of the first stage boosters.

Are the astronauts wearing pressure suits, or just uniforms?  They don't seem air-tight.
Those are pressure suits. Designed but SpaceX, custom cut for each crew member. It's hard to notice at first, but all the connections you're expecting to see are combined in a single port on the right thigh, air, comms, pressure, etc.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #22 on: 01 June 2020, 12:46:14 »
Pressure suits,  but not EVA suits. Designed to support life if the capsule vented, not for spacewalking.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 01 June 2020, 14:26:54 »
Pressure suits,  but not EVA suits. Designed to support life if the capsule vented, not for spacewalking.

Can't wait to see what Spacex does when they decide to design their own EVA gear.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 01 June 2020, 16:35:57 »
Can't wait to see what Spacex does when they decide to design their own EVA gear.

Hopefully something like Mechanical Counter-pressure suits, with overalls so you aren't walking around like 7 of 9.

It also requires custom fitting, plus padding to make sure there are no concave shapes in the resulting suit.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 01 June 2020, 16:37:34 »

You’ve seen the ST TOS episode, “The Tholian Web”, right?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: 01 June 2020, 16:41:21 »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #27 on: 01 June 2020, 18:44:57 »
I loved the crew named their Capsule after the Endeavour shuttle and old Apollo capsule.

Nice see America getting back into space from America!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #28 on: 01 June 2020, 22:12:52 »
Hopefully something like Mechanical Counter-pressure suits, with overalls so you aren't walking around like 7 of 9.

It also requires custom fitting, plus padding to make sure there are no concave shapes in the resulting suit.

MIT has been working on mechanical counter-pressure suits. they call it the Bio-suit.
http://news.mit.edu/2014/second-skin-spacesuits-0918
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn12277-future-spacesuits-to-act-like-a-second-skin/

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: 02 June 2020, 00:24:16 »

Register