Author Topic: Battletech Beatdowns in Northern VA  (Read 141395 times)

Space Cat

• Corporal
Re: Battletech Beatdowns in Northern VA
« Reply #240 on: 06 October 2019, 19:22:38 »
Hello and whatnot.
I had the fortune to run the ill-fated Rifleman (and post that glorious death the Griffin) for the inaugural game at Huzzah.
It looks like I'll be able to join again for some stompy mech action so I figured I better go ahead and get a forum account made.
I wasn't sure if there would be room on the FedCom side of things or not, but thought I would check.

Whomever told me that I would get sick of the bot filter for posts wasn't kidding.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #241 on: 06 October 2019, 20:42:27 »
@Space Cat  Glad to see you on the boards!  Yeah the bot filter stuff is annoying, but IIRC it stops after you make 5 posts.

We got plenty of room.  I want to try and rotate people as to which side they play; especially when the campaign shifts to the actually meat of what I have planned.  I know of some people that, due to the irregularity they will be able to play, have said they don't mind playing the part of the opposition force.  I will be playing the part of the OpFor 99.99% of the time if more people are needed to push figures around.

Most of the time, we don't decide who plays on what side until the game is about to start.  Rule of thumb, I try to give players no more than 4 units to control.  There are exceptions to this ofcourse, but I think 4 per player is a comfortable amount.

As a reminder to everyone, next game is this coming Saturday October 12th at Huzzah Hobbies starting at noon.
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #242 on: 06 October 2019, 21:08:50 »
It's 10 posts sadly, but once you're at that point, never again will you be forced to prove you're human...  :thumbsup:

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #243 on: 06 October 2019, 21:10:48 »
On a separate note, I wanted to know which weekend works better for everyone in November.  I was looking at either the 9th or 16th.  Let me know either in the thread here or by PM which works better for you and I will schedule the next game that works best for the majority.

I was not going to run anything in December; my schedule is waaay too busy that month to run a game.
« Last Edit: 06 October 2019, 21:12:31 by Jester006 »
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #244 on: 06 October 2019, 21:13:00 »
I'm going to lean toward the 9th, just to put distance between that and Thanksgiving... of course, that puts it closer to Veteran's Day...  :-\

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #245 on: 09 October 2019, 07:22:08 »
It's 10 posts sadly, but once you're at that point, never again will you be forced to prove you're human...  :thumbsup:

...Well, that and the blood sample. We're still waiting on yours, by the way.  ::)

..BLOOD, this time. So help me, if I find more stool samples in my mailbox...
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Space Cat

• Corporal
« Reply #246 on: 09 October 2019, 10:55:30 »
You say “my” blood...but if possession is 9/10ths if the law than what’s “my” blood is open to a lot of interpretation.

The 9th of November I believe works for me as well. Right in between work travel.

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #247 on: 09 October 2019, 16:35:54 »
the 9th for me is preferred as I'm out of town the weekend of the 16th.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #248 on: 10 October 2019, 16:25:08 »
I believe either day will work for me.  I am 90% certain I will not be able to make it this weekend.  I have some sort of plague that you have been dealing with.  While I am 80% over it ( and thought I was the past two weekends as well), I am going to play it safe and also pass it onto others.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #249 on: 10 October 2019, 16:28:03 »
Since Tinyozora is my usual transportation, the 9th is better for me...  ^-^

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #250 on: 10 October 2019, 16:28:31 »
And if people want a game in December I can run a one shot.

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #251 on: 10 October 2019, 18:15:06 »
Totally down for that Sprocket

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #252 on: 11 October 2019, 01:02:48 »
Totally down for that Sprocket

If folks want to let me know what Saturday in December is good and bad for them I can draw up plans.   I am not certain how many in the group post here vs. those that are casuals that show up.

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #253 on: 11 October 2019, 12:00:12 »
7th and 14th are doable versus the two around Christmas.

Jatska

• Recruit
« Reply #254 on: 11 October 2019, 18:40:23 »
Early Nov/December for sure is my vote.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #255 on: 11 October 2019, 18:50:26 »
Earlier is better for me too...

And tomorrow is still up in the air for me... it depends on when my son is driving up from Norfolk...

Jatska

• Recruit
« Reply #256 on: 11 October 2019, 19:02:01 »
I wont make it tomorrow, Nationals game too important for me and its a afternoon one, short notice but didnt know they would still be in at this point.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #257 on: 11 October 2019, 19:25:25 »
We'll miss you... good luck with the game!

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #258 on: 11 October 2019, 20:11:44 »
I think there's going to be 5-6 people tomorrow.  Which is perfectly fine; 1 lance per person.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #259 on: 12 October 2019, 23:12:52 »
Heres the aftermath of the last game.

Kurita vs FedCom.

FedCom Forces
Battlemaster 1Gb, Atlas 7D, Cataphract 2X, Archer 2Rb, Marauder 5D, Axman 1N, Zeus 5T, Phoenixhawk 3S, Firestarter 9H, Griffin 1Ds, Kintaro 18, Thunderbolt 5SE

Kurita Forces
Highlander 732, Cyclops 11A, Mauler 1R, Warhammer 6K, Catapult K2, Jenner 7K, Wolverine 6K, Grand Dragon 1G, Grasshopper 5J, Black Knight 7KNT, Dervish 6M, Spider 5K

Kurita's side was to take control of the battlefield while trying to inflict as much damage to enemy forces as possible.  FedCom was in a defensive position trying to repulse the DCMS.

It started off with Kuritans pushing up one flank with the Warhammer, Cyclops and Highlander along with a thrust in the center with the Black Knight, Grasshopper, Wolverine, Spider, Grand Dragon, Jenner and Dervish.  Catapult and Mauler taking position on the left flank.

Atlas, Cataphract, Battlemaster, Zeus, Kintaro advance against Catapult and Mauler.  Axman, P.hawk, Firestarter advance towards Highlander.  Marauder, Griffin, Archer and T.bolt stay back on hills to provide long range fire support.

Catapult advances to try and draw in the mechs advancing towards him.  Wolverine, Jenner and Dervish engage Cataphract, P.hawk and Firestarter at close range.  Firestarter takes 2 gauss rifles in the back and is cored.  Jenner is taken down by a combination of blistering fire from Archer & company and a kick from the P.hawk.  Catapult takes massive damage from the Atlas and Battlemaster and falls after being kicked by Battlemaster.

Catapult tries to disengage with Black Knight, Grasshopper, Spider, Wolverine and Grand Dragon trying to screen with Warhammer, Highlander, Cyclops and Mauler providing covering fire.  Black Knight becomes new target for FedCom and takes serious damage.  Catapult and Black Knight shutdown and are finished off the next turn.

Meanwhile the Atlas has been soaking up a devastating amount of fire.  It suffered several through-armor critical from the Mauler that took out both hips.  The Atlas had 250 points of armor shredded, both arms blown off and sustained 2 gyro hits and the pilot dying to multiple pilot injuries from head hit and multiple ammo explosions efore finally being rendered combat ineffective; I have house rules that make ammo explosions less deadly.

Battlemaster moved to engage the Mauler and proceeded to pummel it with weapons fire and physical attacks.  Eventually it took the Mauler's leg off.  The Axman finally got into close range and attacked the Warhammer doing some damage but was almost cored in 1 turn due to some accurate shooting from the Warhammer, Cyclops and Highlander.  Kintaro caused a couple engine hits to the Mauler.

Battlemaster then switched targets to the Grand Dragon and managed to take off one if its legs.  It was at this point we called the game due to time constraints.

In summary, the FedCom completely lost the Axman and Firestarter with the Atlas suffering crippling damage.  For House Kurita, the Jenner, Catapult, Black Knight and Warhammmer were complete losses with the Mauler and Grand Dragon being captured.  This was a decisive victory for the Fedcom.

However, a different FedCom company has come under attack where it appears Kurita has focused it main effort to try and break through the center in a classic divide and conquer strategy.  So the outcome of that fight will determine if the company that fought today will either press the advantage for a counter attack or if they will have to provide assistance to their fellow comrades giving them an chance to regroup.
« Last Edit: 17 October 2019, 12:21:35 by Jester006 »

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #260 on: 12 October 2019, 23:27:45 »
So now for the damage report.

As stated in my previous post, the Firestarter and Axman are complete write-offs.

The Atlas can be repaired, but it's going to take 4 days to do so.  The captured Jagermech is back to full fighting capacity as is the Wolfhound,

The Grand Dragon's leg will take 3 hours to replace.  The Zeus's ER PPC is fixed.  All armor is repaired and all ammo is refilled.

Now for the interesting things.  Depending what happens with the next game, will determine how much the Mauler can be repaired.  If you all win, you will have to option to either press the attack or to spend more time to repair.  If you lose the next game, you wont have time to do extensive repairs.

So if you all don't have more time, you can replace the Mauler's leg and fix the structure in the CT; but the mech will still have have 2 engine hits and some damage in the LT structure.  If you all have time for more repairs, it can be fully repaired.

The Rifleman has been worked on constantly since and will be able to return to service minus 2 double heat sinks if you dont have extra repair time.  If you do have extra time, you can have those 2 heat sinks replaced to bring it back up to fully repaired status.

I rolled to see what sort of replacement pilot you have to take over for the Atlas pilot that was killed.  They are a 3/4 with a skill tht I will determine at a later date.
« Last Edit: 12 October 2019, 23:30:50 by Jester006 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #261 on: 13 October 2019, 05:24:42 »
By "Skill", do you mean SPA?  ??? :drool:

As for the Mauler, obviously we need to win the next scenario...  ^-^

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #262 on: 13 October 2019, 11:45:48 »
By "Skill", do you mean SPA?  ??? :drool:

As for the Mauler, obviously we need to win the next scenario...  ^-^

Aye, I rolled a 12 for the replacement and decided that he would have a special ability from campaign operations book.

As to the Mauler, you dont necessarily need to use it.  The Jager is fully repaired and the Rifleman is missing 2 DHSs bringing it down to 10; enough to fire both ultra AC 5s in rapid fire mode and both large lasers.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #263 on: 13 October 2019, 15:11:11 »
Sweet!  :thumbsup:

With all the talk of Assault 'mechs in our future, I figured the Mauler would be a better partner for the Archer...  ^-^

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #264 on: 13 October 2019, 23:51:51 »
Next game is going to be Saturday November 9th at Huzzah Hobbies.  Start time will be noon and go until 6 PM at the latest.

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #265 on: 13 October 2019, 23:54:19 »
I think the assault battle is this side mission, so Mauler can wait for repairs IMO.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #266 on: 14 October 2019, 00:44:00 »
I think the assault battle is this side mission, so Mauler can wait for repairs IMO.

The outcome of this battle will affect the time you'll have to repair the Mauler though.  You'll at least be able replace it legs and repair the CT structure, but it's the engine hits that are a problem.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #267 on: 18 October 2019, 17:48:05 »
So I rolled randomly to see what SPA the replacement pilot got and it was Speed Demon.  Kind of meh.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #268 on: 18 October 2019, 18:20:14 »
Bummer, though it might help if we stick 'em in the Assault 'mech...

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #269 on: 18 October 2019, 18:25:24 »
Well, I’ll tell you all there will be 7 gauss rifles and 5 AC20s in the next game.
« Last Edit: 18 October 2019, 18:27:29 by Jester006 »