Author Topic: Mech of the Week: ARB-* Arbiter  (Read 30018 times)

A. Lurker

• Major
Re: Mech of the Week: ARB-* Arbiter
« Reply #60 on: 02 January 2012, 04:45:53 »
Sorry for the Necro, But has there been an errata that makes this 'Mech LEGAL, because cannons have an availability rating of X in the clan invasion era

Rifle cannons are tournament legal as of ca. 3084 according to TRO: Prototypes. Since the adjustments in that section are supposed to reflect in-universe developments and both the Arbiter and the Deep Lord from that TRO in fact use them, it's probably safe to assume that they are also available. We just don't know their exact rating in that regard yet.

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: 02 January 2012, 05:53:44 »
Sorry for the Necro, But has there been an errata that makes this 'Mech LEGAL, because cannons have an availability rating of X in the clan invasion era

Well- the work on the Arbiter started 3063 so during the Clan Invasion era (3050-3061) that unit did not exist at all.

It entered general production even later and at a time where people started to use what is called 'retrotech' widely. So later on it is quite 'legal' (btw- do you mean it is tournament legal? Following canon construction rules? Fitting the era fluff wise?) to use.

sandstorm

• Lieutenant
  • Slayers Clear the Way
« Reply #62 on: 02 January 2012, 08:17:18 »
Of course, the Rifle Cannon was what had armed the Kings of Battlefield before Mechs came and stomped to their glory.

The old Tank weapon was just obsolete enough during the glory of Mech warfare that no one really thought of bringing back their production.
Ex Dubio, Obscura
--------------------
"Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it."

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #63 on: 02 January 2012, 08:44:49 »
Of course, if it was me, Once the Arbiter started getting a more widespread reputation as a toothless dog, I'd release the Arbiter Mark II.  A superficially identical REAL battlemech loaded with cutting edge tech, and armed/armored accordingly.  If nothing else, it would make any potential enemies think twice.  Are those the baby Arbiters? Or their nastier younger sibling?

Yes, I must make this. I love surprise designs (I made an Archer with 10 hidden SRM-4s, and an Urbanmech that runs and jumps as fast as a Spider), so this will be fun...
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #64 on: 02 January 2012, 10:55:19 »

Availability ratings have nothing to do with whether or not a 'Mech is rules legal.  What they may influence - depending on interpretations of players - is whether or not the specific variant is available.  They're very general guidelines.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #65 on: 02 January 2012, 16:28:36 »
Well- the work on the Arbiter started 3063 so during the Clan Invasion era (3050-3061) that unit did not exist at all.
The Clan Invasion Era is 3050+ as far as ratings are concerned.

Availability ratings have nothing to do with whether or not a 'Mech is rules legal.  What they may influence - depending on interpretations of players - is whether or not the specific variant is available.  They're very general guidelines.
But I believe it is pseudo-illegal to have a production date after the extinction of equipment used in it's production, this is more important for CGL 'Mechs then home-brew ones (which may not have production dates)

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #66 on: 02 January 2012, 16:52:58 »
But I believe it is pseudo-illegal to have a production date after the extinction of equipment used in it's production, this is more important for CGL 'Mechs then home-brew ones (which may not have production dates)

? Illegal? Certainly not. Just an adjustment of what is and isn't true in canon.

That said, why do you think it went extinct?

"Today, very few are produced in the Inner Sphere (where they are often lumped into the category of retro-tech), while the Clans have abandoned these weapons entirely."
P.338 TO.

Paul

The solution is just ignore Paul.

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #67 on: 02 January 2012, 19:27:19 »
As previously mentioned; here is my attempt: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,14642.0.html
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #68 on: 03 January 2012, 01:15:09 »
? Illegal? Certainly not. Just an adjustment of what is and isn't true in canon.
Why do you think I asked if there had been an errata changing the rifle availability code (I think using the word cannon here would have been a bad idea)
And I used "pseudo" because I don't think the stuff relating to those codes are actual proper rules

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #69 on: 03 January 2012, 08:46:02 »
Why do you think I asked if there had been an errata changing the rifle availability code (I think using the word cannon here would have been a bad idea)

Why's that needed? To expand on my question: what's currently impossible or implausible with the existing availability code, as far as the fluff that's given? (Meaning the "very few are produced in the Inner Sphere" bit)
And another way: what becomes possible or probable if the code's changed?

Paul

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #70 on: 03 January 2012, 15:36:10 »
The manufacturer of the Arbiter's shipping their product in battalion sized lots? That sort of suggests production has gone up and given the need for replacement parts once it's shipped that could imply there are more sources

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #71 on: 03 January 2012, 16:20:27 »
Yes.
So?

Paul

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #72 on: 03 January 2012, 17:06:47 »
That doesn't exactly fly with a doesn't exist availability rating

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: 03 January 2012, 17:29:17 »
It is fine with me. I doubt that Clan era availability will cover all of BTs future.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #74 on: 03 January 2012, 18:50:51 »
Yep, exactly. The recent development of increase Rifle production occurs post Clan Invasion era.

http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=1635

Paul

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #75 on: 04 January 2012, 15:03:19 »
Yes there is the Upcoming(?) Dark Age, but as far a I am aware there is no AVAILABILITY era for it yet (some one could have picked a better term example of similar mistake: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0012.html

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #76 on: 04 January 2012, 15:07:29 »
No, there's Civil War and Jihad in between. And I'd expect the Availability code to drop it's X in the latter. Maybe not all the way down to C, but Retrotech did have its fungus moment. St. Andrews wouldn't be the only source.

Paul

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #77 on: 05 January 2012, 19:58:27 »
Remembering that the Arbiter is designed to look the way it does to maks how weak it is, there is a very, VERY sneaky trick you can play-- retrofit, or build a new, modern tech mech to look the same and then mix them among hte regular arbiters. 

Is that a lance of fuel cell powered industrial mechs...or did you win the prize and just engage four mechs with ER PPC's, fusion plants and advanced armor.....

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #78 on: 05 January 2012, 20:01:52 »
Remembering that the Arbiter is designed to look the way it does to maks how weak it is, there is a very, VERY sneaky trick you can play-- retrofit, or build a new, modern tech mech to look the same and then mix them among hte regular arbiters. 

Is that a lance of fuel cell powered industrial mechs...or did you win the prize and just engage four mechs with ER PPC's, fusion plants and advanced armor.....

That was the idea behind this Arbiter I made, and many others have made similar upgrades.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #79 on: 18 April 2016, 11:46:07 »
Thread necro... but an erratum to how the Demoralizer SPA works gives Arbiters the potential for some real teeth.  While that benefits Alpha Strike immediately, when Campaign Companion comes out it'll also be a boost for Arbiters in boardgame play, too!

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 18 April 2016, 12:05:44 »
Noice, I approve!

Breetai

• Sergeant
« Reply #81 on: 05 May 2016, 17:10:57 »
Step 1: create variant using experimental technology with a standard Battlemech chassis and a HPPC+capacitor.
Step 2: mix in with a lance of standard Arbiters in a game in hilly terrain using double-blind rules.
Step 3: watch opponent tear their hair out playing shell games. :D

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #82 on: 05 May 2016, 17:45:08 »
Been using the Arbiter as both one of my 'Mechs and OpFor when playing against the bot in MM in prep for my Quasit MotW.  And, yeah, wow.

Armor isn't awful for its size, but not inspiring, either. The heat from its heavy rifle is nearly crippling against any serious opposition: three shots in a row, and you're in trouble.  And, of course, being an IndustrialMech means any critical hits become vicious fast, are far easier to get, and quick to cripple you in physical combat.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #83 on: 11 July 2018, 05:57:17 »
Sorry for the necro, but I was thinking that New St. Andrews and the Rim Federation should be partnering to get a new variant out there. The Federation has a large autocannon manufacturing capability that would be ideally suited for exporting ACs to New St. Andrews.

There's the immediate impulse to swap in an AC/5, but if the Rim Federation can produce Light ACs too, you could fit some more missiles/rockets on there too.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #84 on: 24 July 2018, 21:42:09 »
You know I just notice but the MUL has two arbiters the ARB-001 and ARB-001r

So whats the Story?

The MUL notes the only differences being that the standard arbiter 001 has a BV and a higher point value (15 vs 14) and had a attack value of 1 at short range where as the 001r has a 0* for it's short range, and that the 001r is listed as introductory rules rather than standard.

But the wiki has no info on this variant, nor dose it show up in the TRO prototypes record sheets, the Fluff dose mention that many customers remove the Rifle for a Autocanon, but thats it.

Is the 001r an as yet unlisted autocannon variant?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #85 on: 25 July 2018, 00:53:33 »
The write up of the Scourge in 3145 mentions some "AC5-equipped" Arbiters, so that's most likely it. Maybe.