Author Topic: Campaign Operations in use  (Read 769 times)

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
Campaign Operations in use
« on: 11 April 2019, 05:54:04 »
I was wondering if anyone has used the various systems in campaign operations and if so what kind of success you have had with it.

brycesahagun

• Recruit
Re: Campaign Operations in use
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2019, 07:45:47 »
I created a regiment-sized Star League formation recently, complete with a full complement of support vehicles and the like, using the Force Creation rules from CamOps.

It took forever given the scale I'm working with (the ammo costs especially), but if you're into the numbers and crunch, I recommend it. You really get a sense of how many people it takes to run a 'Mech outfit, and the overhead costs of vehicles vs 'Mechs and aero units.

Combined with the Force Operations rules, it was interesting to have to make room for spare parts, ammo, and food/consumables for my 2221 Men and Women based on not only the number of mouths to feed but transit and deployment time. The Cargo Bays in my dropships filled up pretty quick . . .

It's nice to have a system for abstracting spare parts into a fractional weight though, instead of spending forever thinking of "hmm, i better bring 4 3-ton gyros, two light 'Mech leg actuators, one BLR engine . . ." etc

The Solar System Generation chapter is awesome. Currently building a world for another player I'm GMing for. Lets you construct detailed planetary maps just like in the turning points PDFs. It expands on the planet generation from the Time of War Companion and takes the time to explain which things are based in scientific understanding and which things are hand-waived for simplicity.

All in all it feels like CamOps pulls all of the previous advanced rules together . . .  and provides a macro system that allows the niche 'strategic-level quirks' of units to finally shine. (Ease of Maintenance, Supply Vehicles, Fuel/Ammo dependency, etc) . . .  while still playing at the detailed Total Warfare level of rules. I need more experience with the system still, but very glad I've dug into it so far.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2019, 16:01:32 »
I built a relatively self-contained infantry company using those rules as a result of a separate conversation...
« Last Edit: 11 April 2019, 18:57:28 by Daryk »

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2019, 18:45:26 »
The Solar System Generation chapter is awesome.

Glad you liked them. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the system generation rules.

Currently building a world for another player I'm GMing for. Lets you construct detailed planetary maps just like in the turning points PDFs. It expands on the planet generation from the Time of War Companion

Heh. Funny story: the Campaign Operations system generation chapter came before the ATOW:Companion. It was drafted in 2008 for Strategic Operations. StratOps ran over word count and the system generation rules got bumped to Interstellar Operations, then Campaign Operations. Which was fine, it gave some chance to get in a more review and commentary. (And I had to update the sentence "In the following guidelines, references to “current knowledge,” “modern astronomers” or the like refer to circa 2016 astronomy and astrophysics" about 8 times. ;)  )

Somewhere along the way I was told, "That's a little complicated - can you make a shorter version?" So I did, and then the simplified rules were published first in ATOW:Companion.

But the full rules in Campaign Operations were written first.

and takes the time to explain which things are based in scientific understanding and which things are hand-waived for simplicity.

BattleTech's never going to be scientifically rigorous, but I figured I could at least do better than Star Trek. :)
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

brycesahagun

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2019, 15:48:48 »
Thanks so much, Cray!

That is super cool trivia to know. I remember thinking while reading how generous the allowance for author commentary was. I suppose Cam Ops as the skinniest core rulebook needed the extra fat, lol,  but I ate it up.

Super glad the fully realized thing got published.

I'd love to post more after I put the CamOps stuff into more game use. So far it's an exciting prospect, in that the Solar Systems rules function like the ATOW 'life modules' do. They paint in the attributes and background of a world in broad strokes so you can easily tell stories or plan scenarios within it.

Register